PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Beam

Beam
09-01-2006, 22:44
First of all I'm flying to Cuba wednesday for a well deserved Holiday in the Sun (bonus points who guesses 70ies artist and album [band]). Been pondering about week resort / week trekking, finally decided for 2 weeks resort cause of the little extra cost for a 2nd week and cheap lodging elsewhere for trips around. Any recommendations very welcome. The resort is close to Holguin and I'm considering trips to both Havanna and Santiago.

Last couple of months were pretty hectic considering I did a 2 person job on my own, hence the little activity at CDZ. Also played Civ IV not enough to feel comfy yet. [rant] It will only be clear in Feb if I can continue the contractor job I was working on, despite the ppl at the project wanting me back desperately some bureaucratic wankers stick to the rules. Need to work around the system and in feb it will be clear what's next.

Looking mucho forward to the get together on 18 feb (other dates will be much later) and I'll post more details when back from Cuba (late january). Some matter for discussion if ppl want to play a Civ IV LAN or stick with Civ III?

Rik Meleet
09-01-2006, 23:28
A cheap holiday in other people's misery!

Beam
09-01-2006, 23:48
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

You been there? I've heard so many different stories about Cuba for me that's just a reason to go there and see.

barbu1977
10-01-2006, 03:01
Been 3 times in Cuba.
Once in Jibacoa (Breezes Jibacoa)
Once in Holguin (Grand Playa Turquesa)
and just returned from Cayo Largo (Sol Club Cayo Largo)

Depending on where you end up, you can really take nice tours and see local people. Cuba is generaly a very safe country where you rarely feel trheaten (compared to dominican republic, where I would not have took a 4 hour walk alone with my gf away from the resort.) The only problem I had, was with stupid planes being late from montreal.

The problem, with Holguin, is that except a small town not too far, you are away from everything (including the airport). I would realy recommend a day in havana, but it's a bit far. Depending on money/arrangement, you could probably spend a couple of days there it's realy nice to visit. Never been to Santiago, and don't know anyone who as.

Enjoy!

Darkness
10-01-2006, 09:33
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Any recommendations very welcome.

Go diving/snorkling!
My girlfriend's sister went there a few years back and she said the underwater world over there was one of the most beautiful she had ever seen (and she's seen quite a few). I don't exactly recall where on Cuba she went diving, but someone there (or at the travel agency) will know. :)

Rik Meleet
10-01-2006, 09:41

You been there? I've heard so many different stories about Cuba for me that's just a reason to go there and see.
[aargh] - I was trying to hint your "Holiday in the sun" quiz by posting the first line of the song ....

No I've never been there, but I know people who have. I can ask. What do you want to know ?

Beam
10-01-2006, 12:01

[aargh] - I was trying to hint your "Holiday in the sun" quiz by posting the first line of the song ....

No I've never been there, but I know people who have. I can ask. What do you want to know ?

That quarter did not fall, stupid memory. [wallbash]

@Barbu: the flight from NL actually lands in Holguin. :)

barbu1977
10-01-2006, 13:58
quote:

But Holguin in an hour away from any resort...

As Darkness said, Snorkling and/or scuba diving is a great activity. If you have a diver licence, don't forget to bring it as you can make nicer dives.

Beam
10-01-2006, 16:46
quote:Originally posted by barbu1977

quote:

But Holguin in an hour away from any resort...

As Darkness said, Snorkling and/or scuba diving is a great activity. If you have a diver licence, don't forget to bring it as you can make nicer dives.

All packed.

Beam
25-05-2006, 02:28
A little summary of the recent past:

Despite having a good assessment in March 2005 my boss tought it was a good idea to call it quits late May 2005. I was rather shocked by this as there wasn't a single indication of this in the precedimg timeframe. The ppl at project where I was working were similarly shocked as they were very happy with the work I was doing there. This was a big support, even more cause they expressed they would hire me back as a contractor if I were to go.

Over June 2005 the case developed to an extent where I could disprove all evidence on the table leaving my boss with only reasons related to the "future". Giving that I could get a good randsom I carefully considered the way the company was developing. Not an easy call because I liked what I was doing and felt a lot of compassion and reward from my collegues on the floor.

At the end of June 2005 I had to make a decision. Although the overall project manager had made extremely clear she wanted to hire me back as a contractor she could could not give a full warrant because of the companies bureaucray. I felt a bit like being between a rock and a hard place.

I made the decision to quit quite late on the 30th. Main reason was I did not believe this company was moving in a direction I would feel comfy and happy with. Looking at the baseline I knew I would have to do things a bit more sober, on the other hand with more time availabe it is easier to do things cheaper, isn't?

About 1,5 weeks later I some sort of collapsed. My guess is it due to being the body being fed with adrenaline for a while, then taking that source away. This took about a week before I felt recovered.

My contract would end by the end of august and I got a good and free lawyer who did a great job on the legal part of the issue. Mean time said project manager was working hard to settle the discussion over my contractorship.

August 2005 I was sailing the Fastnet race. A few hours after arriving in Plymouth I got the call I was confirmed to continue as contractor at my current project [dance]. A couple of days after getting home from Plymouth I also received confirmation the legal case was settled in my favor [dance].

Nothing felt like a change from August 31 to September 1. Only excepition being the car insurance which I had assumed to be extended until the end of september. I had to arrange a lot of things in very few days as within the company it was only official on the 23th of August I would resign with the package and only official on the 30th I would stay as contractor!

So I stayed on the job, now as a contractor with a contract until end of year and everybody expecting it to be extended for the max period granted (half a year each time). Early december discussions were started and it became clear there was a potential legal issue, i.e. although I had an offer to leave I was still hired by the company so could fight the sack. I discussed this with the overall project partner and although we discussed many many roundabouts the conclusion was he had to fight his own legal department to fight the case. There seemed to be an opning however since some ppl were hired back after being away for 2 months.

We agreed on a holiday for me which I really needed during which the project would proceed to get me back. Meantime I got quite warry cause the project manager was looking for another solution. Late december I handed over my work to a collegue who I am still in doubt being able to do the job (next week I know if she could).

The holiday on Cuba was a very nice but also somewhat confronting experience. To start with the latter I started questioning why I did all of this to myself. I made more money I ever needed, was easily aggravated not just there but also before and physically and mentally felt like a wreck.

I had been considering for quite some time to find a different job. More like a social base and near home instead of travelling 50.000 km a year for 20 years. The turn of events had brought me into something more lucrative and challenging however. At Cuba I decided patterns had to be changed and that a solid period of rest could be helpful. I say "could" because I am still not sure what the result will be but response from close friends is promising.

Last week I received an invitation from a former collegue to have a dine'n chat with a group of collegues I really enjoyed working with about 3-4 years ago. Believe it or not only 5 of 40 invitees are still working with the company. Although I never had a splitsecond doubt bout the decision made in June this only confirms even more I made the right one.

"I hate long posts, Matrix" Sorry about this one ;)

Matrix
25-05-2006, 02:55
No worries, I read every word. :D It's good to see you're on the right track. ;)

"I made more money I ever needed" http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/suicide.gif

akots
25-05-2006, 03:01
Well, that seems like a lot of hassle you've been through.

So, what is the plan for near future? Did you start actvely looking for something? Or still at the crossroads?

Shabbaman
25-05-2006, 10:49
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

"I made more money I ever needed" http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/suicide.gif

But then again, Beam is really, really old, so he doesn't need that much money ;)
Nah, seriously Beam, it's always nice to hear that fate favors you positively after the stress you had to put up with [goodjob]

Kingreno
25-05-2006, 10:59
Money's nice but a lot of things are a lot nicer. I'm sure you'll get things going again, these first steps seem to be the right way![goodjob]

Pastorius
25-05-2006, 11:18
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

Money's nice but a lot of things are a lot nicer. I'm sure you'll get things going again, these first steps seem to be the right way![goodjob]

I second that :)