PDA

View Full Version : Religion matters

Matrix
08-01-2006, 20:33
I've spawned Hinduism and Christianity and have shrines for moth religions.

My total income is 288. (Expenses 264 with 90% science.)
The Kashi Vishwanath gives me 50 +100% (grocery, market, bank) = 100.
The Church of the Nativity gives 28 +100% = 56.
Total income because of religion: 156.
156/288=54%
More than 50% of my income is due to religion. Holy crap! [eek]

I have to say I did a lot of effort to send missionaries all over the world, and about half the world has Hinduism... [rolleyes] But still, look at the difference it makes!

Tubby Rower
08-01-2006, 21:13
I agree with you in one respect. If you work hard to spread your religion, then it will pay off.

But if you are lazy with the missionaries and/or don't have a good chance at getting a holy city, then another good strategy is to not get any religion and let your neighbors' spread to you. That way your neighbors won't be upset with your heathen religion.

I tend toward the latter strategy but after your analysis, I might start going for religions and making use if the missionaries.

Thanks for the analysis

Matrix
09-01-2006, 02:09
Not to mention I almost know exactly how many units Catherina, Mao and Napoleon has! And they were also very pleased with me because of our mutual religion (+7!).

Catherina: "Is that a treaty in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" [rolleyes]

RegentMan
09-01-2006, 07:17
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I've spawned Hinduism and Christianity and have shrines for moth religions.

I wasn't aware that there was a religion for everyone's favorite insect... ;)

Shabbaman
09-01-2006, 07:39
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

And they were also very pleased with me because of our mutual religion (+7!).

Have you tried waging war yet? The downside is major unrest in your cities.

Lt. Killer M
09-01-2006, 09:52
hehe, same for me. And in wars, [shabba], religion pays off, too: since temples come relatively cheap, and since having two religions means having two temples in each city, along with the occasional monastery and stupa etc, my borders push deep into former 'enemy' territory if I raze a border city. That makes it easy to kill enemy troops in 'now-my-lands' and leads to very short wars. Fuck the unhappiness, kill em!

Also, AIs are much more likely to make reasonable peace soon if they have your religion.