PDA

View Full Version : Reusing maps

col
15-05-2003, 13:02
Is there any mileage in folk uploading the starting save of games so that they can be reused? If we had about 50 games on file, folk could just pick one at random. Obviously some maps are fairly well known right now but in the future they may not be? If only a few turns have been played or the map has never had a screenie shown then ohers could use it. It seems a shame to waste a really good map that others might enjoy.

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2003, 13:29
I second that, I will in the future keep starting saves of all my SP games for uplaod if the map is in any way interesting....

for PBEMs, it would also be great to keep them, but I guess most will now be created int he editor, so there would be a 'clean' scenario available anyways....

if then the game dies early........

Aggie
15-05-2003, 13:36
I agree. Jack Merchant and me started a very difficult deity game and decided the WE were not good enough for it (sorry Meli ;). Others may like the challenge. Also my game vs Eklektikos didn't go far...

ProPain
15-05-2003, 13:58
Especially when a lot of maps are being made and played I think recycling them is no problem. Same for games that only went a few turns and died...

Let somebody else have a go at it.

prettyvacant
15-05-2003, 14:14
ok, we all agree. I've got at least one to share. Tell me how and I'll do it.

DrAlimentado
15-05-2003, 14:47
Good Plan. I was thinking about this the other day, perhaps if we have a thread where people post the sav once they've finished their game along with the admin pw and a short description of which civs/difficulty/map settings etc.

If there needed I've also got the bix files and first-turn savs for all the maps I've made (I think, I've certainly got the bix's anyway).

DrAlimentado
15-05-2003, 14:59
quote:Originally posted by prettyvacant in another thread

surely the save would still have to be amended cos of the names and civs?

Hmmm, that's a very good point! Maybe we should just make the bix files available - you would still need a mapmaker to fix the level and names etc. but they could start with a map that was already 'balanced' (disclaimer- maps are always unbalanced ;))

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2003, 15:12
as for prettyvacants point: as I said, most will be scenario files, so you jsut start a new game and enter the proper names......

also, there is for example a map I made for some players that could be interesting to play in single player - I'll post the scenairo as soon as these two are done.