PDA

View Full Version : "What would you do?"

Shabbaman
06-01-2006, 12:00
I've come up with this gimmick. The game is full of decision making points. Will I build this wonder? Where should I place my next city? Sometimes these questions are generic, at other times they are situational. Giving insight in your way of thought or giving an alternative point of view should be educational (at this site, oh, the hubris!).

Obviously, this would turn into a lengthy discussion on a single tile, so therefore I've come up with a rule (more hubris): a single post per member per question. If you think there's need for discussion, feel free to open a thread. If your response is getting ridiculed, spam their pbem fora.

Also, it'd be nice if you make clear in your post what you're responding to. Screenshots with nice arrows and such are super plus plus.

Shabbaman
06-01-2006, 12:02
So, to get things started: On a (small) continents map, what do you do when you find yourself alone with a whole continent?

Melifluous
06-01-2006, 12:53
No Military, fill my continent quick,

Research depends on difficulty.

Firstly get a religion quick. (Can lead to finding the opposition via religion spread maybe?)

Lower difficulties = Research normally as fast as I can.
Higher diff = Research to get my ass finding the opposition (Whichever damn tech it is).

[meli]

Darkness
06-01-2006, 13:32
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

So, to get things started: On a (small) continents map, what do you do when you find yourself alone with a whole continent?

Settle to obtain all available resources. Research to the techs needed for crossing the ocean to find the AI.

Matrix
06-01-2006, 15:39
First expand as fast as possible to get the whole map! The only danger of expanding too fast is that others will crush you; that's not an issue here. You'll find yourself researching like a madman once all your cities are up and running. Expansion is all an investment after all, and if you'd get that land anyway, why not now? Besides, I hate it when others build a city on the continent I alone started on.

Then indeed try to get to the others as soon as possible.

Melifluous
06-01-2006, 16:07
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Besides, I hate it when others build a city on the continent I alone started on.

Yeah that really annoys me.

[meli]

digger760
06-01-2006, 16:33
you could expand like mad, but your economy also has to be able to support it.

Beam
06-01-2006, 18:29
Advantage of your own continent: easy expansion and just barbs. Main disadvantage: risk of techhole on hihger diffs. So as others suggested both expand AND research to whatever techs give Caravel.

Kingreno
06-01-2006, 19:28

Restart the game since at higher difficulties the AI will have whorred an age ahead of me before I even have a Boat to go find'em. Also: Religion? Chances are very slim I get there first, exception when I have Mysticism, then the odds are about 50-50.

Tubby Rower
08-01-2006, 21:20
as others have said, fill out continent.

Make sure you get a religion.
plant lots of cottages
research to caravels
build military.

The last is the most important. If the AI find you first, you'll more than likely get hit by a more aggressive AI because you don't have the military might to stop them.

Beam
08-01-2006, 23:45
New question

How about cottages, when start building them and what tiles are best for them? Last but not least are they a valid countermeasure against increasing maintenance in an expanding empire?

grs
08-01-2006, 23:56
Grassland is cottageland for me. Especially if they are on a river and even more if I am financial. Once they are towns and you have emancipation they grow quite powerfull. Besides religion in specific cases like matrix mentioned in his thread they are inho the best source of income.

Matrix
09-01-2006, 02:04
I agree with grs. One big difference with Civ3 is that roads don't give commerce anymore, so you specifically have to build cottages. And a 4$ town is quite heavy; and at the latest it even has 7 commerce and 1 production!

Besides, often you can't build anything else besides cottages. Later on you could build farms and workshops, but that's late industrial/early modern age and by then all cottages have become towns anyway. When there are lots of rivers and lakes you have the option of building workshops, farms and watermills earlier. I guess you then have to make sure a city has a reasonable production (i.e. at least about 8 base production) and make the rest of the tiles cottages.

Melifluous
09-01-2006, 08:51
I dont often bother with cottages, seems like a tile wasted, could be doing hammers or food if you ask me.

I normally beeline for currency straight after alphabet and then go back for Code of Laws.

Markets and Grocers with Courthouses always seems enough for me.

[meli]

Darkness
09-01-2006, 09:50
I often build cottages on flood plains. These already have three food, so using them makes me grow fast, and a cottage on them will grow to a town quite quickly (because I'm using the tile all the time to grow fast)...

Lt. Killer M
09-01-2006, 09:56

Priority 1: meet the fockers!

--> I try to grab a religion, but do not go for several (as I normally would).
--> I research naval techs until I am able to meet AIs.
--> ships take missionaries along; spreading my religion into AI towns gives me a lot of info very fast.

Priority 2: secure the coast!

--> I try to settle the entire coastline before I go for the interior. THen, denying 'Open borders' keeps the AI from founding annoying cities on my land. Obviously, grabbing important res (copper for defence, luxuries of all kinds) modifies my settling somewhat.

Priority 3: grab enough land!

8 cities are a minimum, thus if my home doesn't allow them I ship settlers off to other islands.

Lt. Killer M
09-01-2006, 10:02
quote:Originally posted by Beam

New question

How about cottages, when start building them and what tiles are best for them? Last but not least are they a valid countermeasure against increasing maintenance in an expanding empire?

Usually, I am very strong in religions. Thus, my money comes from religious tribute, not cottages.

Also, my towns tend to be quite happy and healthy, so they can grow big. For that, I need food, so grasslands often get farmed.

Cottages go to what's left. Floodplains often do get them, except for the 1st fllodplain a city uses - that one's usually farmed.

Tubby Rower
09-01-2006, 13:22
I've played at least one game where almost every tile had a cottage. That was a bit overkill but the modern techs did come rolling in. I usually build cottages on 50% of the grass and near 100% of the flood plains. The grassland cottages are usually built as a forest is chopped.

the only time that I don't cottage a fp is when there is a lack of food for that city.

digger760
09-01-2006, 16:20
I still hav'nt finished my first game..getting close though to either space ship or histogram win. I have noticed that i have not been able to work all the 21 tiles around the cities, i just can't seem to get the growth rate. Around 20 has been my largest city. So what type of city spacing do people think is best?

Matrix
09-01-2006, 19:09
quote:Originally posted by digger760

So what type of city spacing do people think is best?
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2006191999_ICP.gif
3.62*KB
In other words: get as many squares as possible with the least amount of cities. That is, if there would be a isotropic planet. [rolleyes]

Exactly like the model of Christoffer, if that makes sense to any of you. [coool]

Lt. Killer M
09-01-2006, 19:58
quote:Originally posted by digger760
So what type of city spacing do people think is best?

I space my cities never closer than 4 tiles, if I can help it, and never further than 5.

Aside from that I prefer to have a very good and long look a tthe lay of the land. Res (food bonues etc) play a much larger role for city growth than one might at first assume - remember that e.g. there is no more production cutoff on completion. 1 more hammer suddenly can become a LOT!
Thus, I go by best use of land, even if that sometimes includes a 4 tile overlap between cities or a wasted space between them

Also, one thing to remember is that if, e.g., you build Stonehenge, then your borders will expand fast and for free. Grabbing horses in the 9 of a new city suddenly may not be encessary. If, OTOH, you have to rely on building culture buildings to get to a res, then slapping them right next to them is more important.

Pastorius
10-01-2006, 23:10
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

quote:Originally posted by Beam

New question

Usually, I am very strong in religions. Thus, my money comes from religious tribute, not cottages.

Also, my towns tend to be quite happy and healthy, so they can grow big. For that, I need food, so grasslands often get farmed.

Cottages go to what's left. Floodplains often do get them, except for the 1st fllodplain a city uses - that one's usually farmed.

The irony.[lol]

So far, I have unfortunately not been able to finetune either cottage based income or religion based income. Meaning that I ve gone with a mix of the two

Cottages come early if I am nonspiritual, and somewhat later if I am spiritual. Of the few games I ve played, I ve had my 2nd or 3rd worker almost exclusively on cottages

Cottages on plains mainly in my case. Farm on grass, and farm/cottage on floodplain.