PDA

View Full Version : Server outage

ProPain
30-12-2005, 11:41
This time we had a total server outage, cause unknown.

Called support, they were very helpfull. Made a deal they will monitor the server better also.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
PP

Shabbaman
30-12-2005, 12:07
So any stupid bollocks ISP's getting fists in arses?

Good to see we're live again! Hurray!

RegentMan
30-12-2005, 21:11
I was kind of shocked that it was down. Only the second time I've seen it happen.

Matrix
30-12-2005, 21:53
Thanks, PP!

ProPain
30-12-2005, 22:43
quote:Originally posted by RegentMan

I was kind of shocked that it was down. Only the second time I've seen it happen.

Actually it was the 3rd time that the whole server went down since we moved to it. :)

Shabbaman
12-01-2006, 12:10
So, more stupid bollocks ISP getting fist in arse, again [whipped]

Melifluous
12-01-2006, 12:11
Talked with PP yesterday...

He was not amused. [rant]

[meli]

Kingreno
12-01-2006, 17:00
[wallbash] annoying!!!!

ProPain
12-01-2006, 20:09
Well got us rehooked on the SMS service to get out off-office-hours-kick-the-server-support so next time we wont be offline for 14 hours [grrr]

But I was pissed as hell, damn idiots.

Tubby Rower
12-01-2006, 20:41
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

more stupid bollocks ISP getting fist in arse
I think that's the single most funny phrase. I actually laugh out loud every time I hear (see) you guys say (type) it. And I got to read it twice in one thread.

[tank][tank],
tubs

Shabbaman
13-01-2006, 00:00
Well then, at least someone is amused by CDZ downtime :D

Matrix
13-01-2006, 00:23
Just wait till "CDZ Illustrated" comes out!

Pastorius
13-01-2006, 00:24
I wonder what the swimsuit edition will contain.

[hmm]

[vomit]

ProPain
13-01-2006, 00:42
I;m surprised KReno hasnt made this thread more lively with a few of his (in)famous images.

bed_head7
13-01-2006, 00:47
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

I;m surprised KReno hasnt made this thread more lively with a few of his (in)famous images.

Huh?

Darkness
13-01-2006, 09:50
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

I wonder what the swimsuit edition will contain.

[???]

KR's got swimsuit images of you????

[help]

;)

Shabbaman
19-01-2006, 13:27
When I go to "active users" (best part of the forum) I get an "Internal Server Error". The rest of the forum does work though. I say it's time for stupid bollocks ISP's to get fists in arses!!!

EDIT: thankfully, it works again, the mere threat alone was apparently enough! [beer1]
Now I have to stay on the site the whole day to check what part will quit next. Interesting!

Matrix
19-01-2006, 16:01
So you can pull the fists out of the arses now, PP.

Shabbaman
09-03-2006, 16:30

When I go to "active users" (best part of the forum) I get an "Internal Server Error".

[bump] It's happening again! I say it's time for stupid bollocks ISP's to get fists in arses!!!

Pastorius
15-03-2006, 20:13
Active users gave server error @ 19:12 GMT+1

Shabbaman
21-03-2006, 10:53
Yesterday and this morning I experienced several glitches. Time for the fists!

Darkness
21-03-2006, 11:04

Yesterday and this morning I experienced several glitches.

So did I.

Just short down perionds (like half an hour at most, I think), but still damn annoying.

Shabbaman
21-03-2006, 18:10
It happened again: internal server problem. Now, surely that must be because some fists might have caused internal damage to certain delicate parts?

Melifluous
21-03-2006, 19:00
More worryingly (is that a word?) I cannot use RDP to connect to the Server either to investigate this further.

"The Terminal Server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections"

Not good PP, not good.

[meli]

Tubby Rower
21-03-2006, 19:03
It looks like the fists have caused irreversible damage.

grahamiam
21-03-2006, 19:25
got this about an 3 hours ago

quote:Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Web Server at civ3duelzone.com

Darkness
21-03-2006, 20:10
I got the same error report as grahamiam on two different moments this afternoon. In between those two the site worked fine.

Socrates
24-03-2006, 02:41
Back... at last !!! [crazyeye]

Tubby Rower
24-03-2006, 04:47
can some one make a smilie for the fist in the.... well you know.

Whomp
24-03-2006, 05:10
How about I improvise for you.....[shabba] would say we [bosd] in[assw][vomit][backstab]!!!1!!!11!!!!eleven gazillion!!1!1

Rik Meleet
24-03-2006, 10:03
I got a server outage all of the day and all of the night.

Melifluous
24-03-2006, 17:57
As you may now notice, the site's back.

Investigations are now starting to find if some needs direct appendage to orifice application.

[meli]

Shabbaman
24-03-2006, 18:07
It seems to be working now. Go go meli!!!

Melifluous
24-03-2006, 18:17
I can claim absolutely zero credit for this.

Mistfit pointed out that PP was online and I tried to get hold of him, 2 hours later PP responded and we (well he) restarted the web server and enabled my access to the web servers again.

[meli]

Shabbaman
24-03-2006, 18:20
Actually I meant go go go on the investigation part. Dum dum dum da dum inspector meli, dum dum dum da dum! Go go super secret fist!

Tubby Rower
24-03-2006, 18:33
[rotfl] [headstab]

Melifluous
24-03-2006, 18:42
quote:
Steve @ minnie says:
now lets see what screwed the site
ProPain says:
always that issue with the anonymous permissions
Steve @ minnie says:
cos the forums briefly worked at about 10am this morning
ProPain says:
I delved into it on the plesk fora quite a bit
ProPain says:
but basically they know the bug exists but a normal solution isnt available
ProPain says:
I translate that into: PLESK is a sorry ass control panel

[meli]

Shabbaman
24-03-2006, 18:55
Now, just to make Tubby laugh:

quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

quote:
ProPain says:
I translate that into: PLESK is a sorry ass control panel

Roger that.

Seriously, this is a real pity. To summarize for the computer-impaired, like me, this means it can happen again and we can't do a thing about it?

Melifluous
24-03-2006, 19:25

this means it can happen again and we can't do a thing about it?

Exactly that, but on the bright side, my remote access to the server has been restored and I also have PP's mobile number,
so that he can start the fist -> arse procedure if needs be.

[meli]

ProPain
24-03-2006, 19:30
really not the ISP's fault but the manufacturer of PLESK. It has been determined that changing the FTP login account data sometimes sets this bug of and once it;s there it keeps rearing it;s ugly head.

There's a solution but that would involve some downtime namely: deleting the account and building it from scratch. And even that could be done without downtime by temporarily using cdz.org. I do plan to do that one day but atm I really dont have the time to do this.

Beam
25-03-2006, 01:57
Another outage? Sux. Been down for about 6 hours. :(

akots
25-03-2006, 06:49
Same here. Down all day but now seems to be working fine.

Kingreno
25-03-2006, 09:04
It was lousy the whole week. [medic]

akots
25-03-2006, 11:37
Was off again for about 3 hours and then suddenly a window opened.

Matrix
25-03-2006, 16:25

really not the ISP's fault but the manufacturer of PLESK. It has been determined that changing the FTP login account data sometimes sets this bug of and once it;s there it keeps rearing it;s ugly head.

There's a solution but that would involve some downtime namely: deleting the account and building it from scratch. And even that could be done without downtime by temporarily using cdz.org. I do plan to do that one day but atm I really dont have the time to do this.
I think there's enough support to switch over to vBulletin.

Tubby Rower
25-03-2006, 17:29
I took this screenshot off of a server that we have and we have this program. Not too sure if it helps, but I thought that we could give it a try....

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3650/fistarse5jg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Darkness
25-03-2006, 19:44
[lol]

Excellent suggestion Tubby!!! [goodjob]

ProPain
26-03-2006, 12:39
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I think there's enough support to switch over to vBulletin.

That wont help at all. It's a matter of the control panel fucking up webaccess. Same would occur on VB.

We still can switch to VB though but that would mean loss of all old forum data as I'm not tech-educated enough to migrate this.

Kingreno
26-03-2006, 13:01
Could not log on from 8 this morning to 11.30. Is it even remotely explainable why this is happening very often now while the site ran great the months before?

grs
26-03-2006, 13:18
I see no reason to switch the forum software. The problem is imho the missing stability not missing features.

Shabbaman
26-03-2006, 14:21
Second that. vB is a luxury, we need reliability now.

ProPain
26-03-2006, 14:39
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

Could not log on from 8 this morning to 11.30. Is it even remotely explainable why this is happening very often now while the site ran great the months before?

The answer to that is 'no' cause I dont have a fucking clue. The site came back on cause I restarted it at 11:30

I;m thinking of 'moving' the site to civ3duelzone.org now and see it that would improve stuff.

Also rereading into the VB transfer again as it would solve some other issues as the thread subscriptions and upload bug. Maybe there are some script available. Still that is something to be seen seperate from the crashing.

Kingreno
26-03-2006, 15:36
Is there a chance someone is fucking with us? I mean evil hackers. [crazyeye]

classical_hero
26-03-2006, 16:15

It was lousy the whole week. [medic]
It took me quite a while to get back here. Even earlier today there were problems.

Perhaps this smilie describes the situation best. [bosd]

Shabbaman
26-03-2006, 17:15
Although the site seems to be working now, when I visit the active users page I get the infamous error message.

ProPain
26-03-2006, 20:59

Is there a chance someone is fucking with us? I mean evil hackers. [crazyeye]

Doesnt appear to be hackers. Appears like evil firaxis-like programmers that designed the control panel.

Pastorius
26-03-2006, 21:21
Access was terribly slow on friday evening (GMT+1) and yesterday on random occations, it was equally slow.

Working - unlike other times this week, where I too got an error message on both active topics, active users and the site in general

Shabbaman
27-03-2006, 12:56
Site has been down again whole morning. Following PP's line of thought, I blame firaxis for this.

Melifluous
27-03-2006, 14:53
It was down when I came to it this morning, so I restarted it...

That's probably why it started working again :(

This is really not looking good huh?

[meli]

Shabbaman
27-03-2006, 15:04
Is there any way we could restrict the "anonymous permissions" through shutting down some functions?

ProPain
27-03-2006, 15:53
ok, will try to move the site, but that wont happen before next weekend however, maybe friday if I get really lucky and get all my work done quickly

ProPain
27-03-2006, 17:56
I couldnt reach the site anymore so now I restarted the whole server. Hopefully that will help.

barbu1977
29-03-2006, 01:20
I was alone... Almost
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200632902011_untitled.jpg

grahamiam
29-03-2006, 06:10
what a fucking pain this site was today!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/grahamiam/2006329590_pain-in-the-a-AWARDDAY.gif

I hereby award the fucking server the gold medal in the Pain-In-the-Ass olympics [assw]

Shabbaman
29-03-2006, 08:11
Pure. terror. Must. Spam. More. Oh. The. Horror. The. Horror.

PP, perhaps you could make a thread at tweakers.net. The nerds over there are very helpful, usually.

ProPain
29-03-2006, 12:58
@[shabba] good suggestion, will look into that

What was our problem: after resetting the server the site was still down, the server was up (other sites performed ok) but the crappy server wasnt reachable with remote desktop anymore. Rebooted with the CP a few times to no avail as well.

Finally the ISP fixed it with a manual reboot. Hurray!

To improve the performance I'll take the following steps:

1- upgrade PLesk CP
2- delete cdz.ORG account on sever and remake that account.
3- The whole forum will be copied to cdz.ORG
4- Delete cdz.com account on server and remake that account
5- Copy everything back

That should kill our unknown bug and provide us with stability for eternity, or at least till the next bug

I plan to do 1 to 3 tonight so bear with me untill then.

PP

Shabbaman
29-03-2006, 13:38

To improve the performance I'll take the following steps: *snip*

How long is that going to take you? I do not mean that in a negative way, but if it takes some time I have a suggestion. Perhaps it's an idea to make a status page that isn't linked to this specific server/site. Then that page could be used for progress report, plus it could link to the actual working CDZ forum once cdz.com is offline. Perhaps you could even add... a shoutbox.

Anyway, good luck with it [worship]

Matrix
29-03-2006, 14:27
That would only give him more work. Let's just be patient.

ProPain
29-03-2006, 14:48
As long as I have Remote desktop I can work on the server and copy all CDZ files in secs. When Remote desktop failes I need to download 5GB and then upload it again. Obviously that will take ages....

So everybody should keep their fingers x'ed that remote desktop keeps functioning :)

Matrix
29-03-2006, 15:17
http://doctortongue.com/images/crossed.jpg

Shabbaman
30-03-2006, 17:28
Hey, we're back!

digger760
30-03-2006, 18:39
hoo fuckin ray...for a while there i was forced to do work....so we are back..but for how long [how do i get a grim reaper smiley]

Kingreno
30-03-2006, 18:40
Got the Internal server error message the whole day intil 5.20 or so...

Shabbaman
30-03-2006, 18:46
quote:Originally posted by digger760

[how do i get a grim reaper smiley]

Ask mistfit.

Kingreno
31-03-2006, 22:52
The site is dying. again very very limited access today.[cry]

ProPain
31-03-2006, 23:30
Good and bad news.
the bad news:
It appears several of our domains have expired. As we havent seen anarres around in ages and he isnt really paying attention to PM's and emails I cant say why, but my guess is he didnt prolong them. This means I can't do the site move now and we have to bear with the hickups for a little while longer.

The good news:
Shabba figured out civduelzone.com is free again. I'll grab that on monday together with the c(3)dz.org URL's. Usually my ISP needs a day to fix everything so if everything goes according to plan I'can do the move on monday and we'll have our domain names back. I'll also give contacting anarres another go and try to get him to transfer c3dz.com back to me to avoid that domains arent prolonged in the future.

Untill then Mel and I will just have to check CDZ a lot and give it a proverbial kick when it's down. I'm very sorry about that.

Should things at the ISP take considerably longer than monday I have a plan B that I will carry out.

Rik Meleet
31-03-2006, 23:32
Anarres is online daily on CFC.

Beam
01-04-2006, 00:35
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

Anarres is online daily on CFC.

Roger that.

About domain names: civduelzone fine with me and considering Civ is not the only game being played here anything with duelzone in it is excellent imo!

Melifluous
01-04-2006, 00:40

Untill then Mel and I will just have to check CDZ a lot and give it a proverbial kick when it's down. I'm very sorry about that.

Sorry about not checking sooner, I assumed that PP was undergoing his 'changes' and left the site alone recently.

Should this not be the case then I can administer fists to servers as easily as asses...

[meli]

Melifluous
01-04-2006, 15:13
And yes I just restarted the web-site again.

This getting tedious no?

[meli]

Beam
01-04-2006, 16:50
This is not good for the site. Any clue how to fix it?

Melifluous
02-04-2006, 04:24
Not the foggiest idea.

Twould seem to be a Plesk problem, I have no access to that :(

[meli]

Kingreno
02-04-2006, 09:53
Is it easy to fist our server? If so, can we get more fisters?

Melifluous
03-04-2006, 13:45
Seems like a good idea, depends how much you know about getting to the Computer Management screen and stopping the application pool for civ3duelzone.com and then stopping the website.

And then restart the pool and restart the website.

[meli]

ProPain
03-04-2006, 16:17
Claimed all remaining CDZ domain names. Should get a confirmation on that today. Will keep you posted on developments.

This weekend it occured to me that we're not experiencing the traditional 'log in box' error but that connection seems to go nowhere. Combined with the fact that rmeote desktop was not functioning and claiming connection problems I thought maybe the database could be causing this problem. After all Access isnt meant to handle large amounts of posts and we've been spamming a lot. Also I have seen the server die out after making a post once which could be the databse handling screwing things up. So should you experience sometghing similar please let us know.

I'll keep you guys posted on CDZ developments.

Matrix
03-04-2006, 16:34
Small question: when civ3duelzone.com is out, does it have any use to try other domains?
By the way, thanks for doing all this work, ProPain! You're da man! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/beer.gif

Darkness
03-04-2006, 16:34

Also I have seen the server die out after making a post once which could be the databse handling screwing things up. So should you experience sometghing similar please let us know.

That happened to me too... Yesterday afternoon, IIRC...

ProPain
03-04-2006, 17:28

Small question: when civ3duelzone.com is out, does it have any use to try other domains?
By the way, thanks for doing all this work, ProPain! You're da man! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/beer.gif

It does, the server hosts several other domains as well and the last 2 weeks only CDZ has been experiencing problems. This implies the problem is not server related but domain related. The 2 most obvious causes would be:

1) Plesk is fucking around with the permission settings for CDZ.
We've had this problem before and that would be solved by changing domain names and recreating the cdz.com account. (the notorious plan A)

2) The database is strechted to its limits
If this is the case moving the domain wouldnt do us any good. In this case we need to either archive stuff or switch to a more robust database. If this is the case I;d say we archive stuff and then try to combine new database with a switch to VB as that would require us to switch to MySql as well. prolly best to have all hassle at one, that way I'll only be frustrated once.

So changing domains should give some insight in the cause of our problems and if 1) is the case even solve em.

PP [butcher]

DrAlimentado
03-04-2006, 17:53
If you want a hand with db type stuff then I am available :)

I am lurking here or you can email/pm me.

Melifluous
04-04-2006, 03:02
After noticing some interesting errors in the event log I have now set the Application Pool to restart every 60 mins automatically.

Hopefully this will lessen the need for manual intervention on my part, but may mean the site is interupted every hour.

Please post any feedback here, or PM me or bother me on MSN [:p]

[meli]

Melifluous
04-04-2006, 15:18
Well I've just noticed Beam in the Active Users Column as being online for the last 660 minutes so I'm hoping that I may have fixed this damn problem.

Here's to hopin.

[meli]

grahamiam
04-04-2006, 15:44

Good and bad news.
the bad news:
It appears several of our domains have expired. As we havent seen anarres around in ages and he isnt really paying attention to PM's and emails I cant say why, but my guess is he didnt prolong them. This means I can't do the site move now and we have to bear with the hickups for a little while longer.

Sorry, this just hit me. If anarres isn't around or involved with CDZ anymore, where did my paypal donation go this year?

ProPain
04-04-2006, 16:53
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Good and bad news.
the bad news:

Sorry, this just hit me. If anarres isn't around or involved with CDZ anymore, where did my paypal donation go this year?

Well anarres is the official PayPal account holder, so everything you guys donate is and has been going his way. Knowing anarres he isnt taking advantage of this, but I cant access the money either and contacting anarres hasnt been easy as well.

Atm anarres doesnt have any costs for this site as it's paid in full by me and swingue. I'll set up a new PayPal account where you guys can send donations to support CDZ.

BUt I'll be busy getting the site back in good order first.

Kemal
04-04-2006, 17:20
Just wanted to add in another massive thank you for all the work you people are putting into getting this site up and running again, really appreciated. :)

There haven't been any problems today for me (yet).

classical_hero
04-04-2006, 17:25
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Just wanted to add in another massive thank you for all the work you people are putting into getting this site up and running again, really appreciated. :)

There haven't been any problems today for me (yet).
Great, now yo have jinxed the forum. This is a real pain what is happening and I do hope that things will be back to normal. I'm sure you guys a re frustrated also.

Melifluous
04-04-2006, 17:31
I still think I've fixed it though [:p]

[meli]

grahamiam
04-04-2006, 17:54

Good and bad news.
the bad news:

Well anarres is the official PayPal account holder, so everything you guys donate is and has been going his way. Knowing anarres he isnt taking advantage of this, but I cant access the money either and contacting anarres hasnt been easy as well.

Atm anarres doesnt have any costs for this site as it's paid in full by me and swingue. I'll set up a new PayPal account where you guys can send donations to support CDZ.

BUt I'll be busy getting the site back in good order first.

Well, I don't want to cause trouble, but you guys should be getting that money if you are incurring the cost of running the site as well as updating it as proposed (I'm sure it'll at least cost time, if not money as well). The Mrs. doesn't allow too many extraneous expenses, so I'll contact anarres via PM @ CFC and ask him to kindly send it to you guys.

Thanks for all the hard work [beer1]

Melifluous
04-04-2006, 18:04

[meli]

ProPain
04-04-2006, 20:53
site has been much better today, thanks Mel. Still had one downtime occurence where I gave it the manual fist in arse.

ISP now really also deserves fist in arse as they still havent sent me the papers to sign for the domains. Couldnt call today (was at a client) but will do tomorrow morning and apply appropiate force using 5 fingers clutched together. If they dont have it fixed by tomorrow evening I'll temporary set up the site on one of my weird other URL's. :)

Mistfit
04-04-2006, 21:06
My shaking and DT's have calmed down since the site had been better today... thanks guys!
[dominance

Melifluous
05-04-2006, 01:15
Fear my burning blade!

[assw]

[meli]

Melifluous
05-04-2006, 01:27

[meli]

Darkness
05-04-2006, 10:33

[meli]

Splendid...
Three [cheerl][cheerl][cheerl]and a [wave] for [meli] then...

[tongue]

Rik Meleet
05-04-2006, 13:00
Anarres is online now.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Rik Meleet/200645115947_anarres.JPG
12.24KB

(and yes, I have black forum display as that reduces detection at work) [assw]

akots
05-04-2006, 13:02
So, he is worried about the health effects of coke? May be I should go and read that as well.

ProPain
05-04-2006, 18:05
OUr ISP that I use for domain registry has been bought by another ISP. This has resulted in the otherwise excellent customer service to drop to below utter crap level. Still no quote for the domain names. Called them but apparently sales closes office before 5pm, so I can call back tomorrow. Plan B will be initiated. I'll keep you all posted.

PP

Kingreno
05-04-2006, 18:29
Service is getting better, could acces at work the whole day and yesterday.

Efforts ARE being appreciated a lot! Thumbs up!

Tubby Rower
05-04-2006, 18:57
I'll hold off Paypal donation until the it's pointed to PP

romeothemonk
05-04-2006, 19:21
The Mrs. doesn't allow too many extraneous expenses, so I'll contact anarres via PM @ CFC and ask him to kindly send it to you guys.

Thanks for all the hard work [beer1]

Your Mrs. allows for extraneous expenses for you. Congrats. Even my copy of c4 had to be a gift. Amazingly, hair care products are a necessity.

When the paypal is pointed in the correct direction, I will try and get a donation flowing the right way.

Pastorius
05-04-2006, 19:49
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

I'll hold off Paypal donation until the it's pointed to PP

Me too.

OT:
I find it quite hilarious that you guys seem to discover that hair accessories orwhatsitcalled is defined as a necessity.

I have yet to get married (but soon) and still this is expected behaviour from my future wife.

Her also saying that when we get married, she wants to know what I am spending money on, is also expected.

Countermeasures are underway, sort of ;)

Anyhow - back to topic:

Seems like the server has stabilized. After Mel set configuration (restart), it has been accessable more or less at any time of the day.

Kudos to:

ProPain for his work on the domains
ProPain and Swingue for having large wallets
Mel for fixing the damn thing ;)

grs
05-04-2006, 21:56
Hmm...you are all playing a cliché with your wives sitting on your purses, aren't you ;)

ProPain
05-04-2006, 21:58
I still had to give the server a manual nudge today, again straight after posting. I fear this might be something database related after all and then we're sort of screwed: migration is a pain the arse thing.

The good news: dr. A offered to help with that, so I think new database & VB switch might be in order soon.

Socrates
06-04-2006, 01:26
I admit I have never donated money to our hosts (read : anar, PP) here, and maybe that's something I should finally do, even though my participation in the forum has sharply dropped recently. Kinda a thank-you for those 2 years already spent here. But I have no clue how to deal with that PayPal thingie ; can anyone tell me how to do that ? Or maybe I'll wait for a future CDZ weekend, but this is not in any plan at the moment. Oh, vB I smell. Could make me donate quicker. [groucho]

Pastorius
06-04-2006, 09:32
Krys, you should be able to use PayPal without being a PayPal memeber. Fill in your details and send the transaction. They use a secure server, so it should be fairly secure.

I have yet to have any trouble (except for forgetting my pw) with PayPal.

Shabbaman
07-04-2006, 09:43
I see there has been massive spamming last week. Yesterday late in the evening the site was down for me, so I am relieved that it's working now. At least, sort of. Thumbs up.

Darkness
07-04-2006, 09:58
The site was down for me at around 8 o'clock last night. It worked again at 9, IIRC...

digger760
07-04-2006, 12:04
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

The site was down for me at around 8 o'clock last night. It worked again at 9, IIRC...

that must be Mels automated hourly reset at work. During UK work hours it resets quicker..all hail Mel and Propain [worship]

Shabbaman
08-04-2006, 20:16

Claimed all remaining CDZ domain names. Should get a confirmation on that today. Will keep you posted on developments.

Does that include civ3duelzone.com btw?

ProPain
08-04-2006, 20:37
Sadly no, that's still held by anarres so I cant claim that. After harrassing the ISP on the phone the promised to mail me a quote last friday, obviously it hasnt arrived yet. They're idiots.

Will try to move the sit to another domain tomorrow. Off to friends for diner now :)

PP

classical_hero
09-04-2006, 02:26
Things have improved greatly. Exceelent work Admins. So they actually do work.

Beam
12-06-2006, 21:31
About half an hour outage. Annoying but considering the last one is reported over 2 months ago not bad at all.

Kingreno
12-06-2006, 21:43
I think the admins done that on purpose. To show they have the power. Like a torturemethod. A device of control. I know that they do that.

Beam
12-06-2006, 22:00

I think the admins done that on purpose. To show they have the power. Like a torturemethod. A device of control. I know that they do that.

[lol] Me thinks the spam fairy is pissed off cause his Sweepstakers were overrun. ;)

Kingreno
12-06-2006, 22:49
pfff. what doesn't piss off the spamfairy these days?

digger760
14-06-2006, 17:39
I noticed something odd today. From the active users i clicked on the World Cup Futures Thread and it took me to the all forums page. I tried a few other threads from active users and they were ok.

EDIT - Oh and the server was out today from @13:25 until ~2pm GMT, i guess the hourly reset sorted it.

BCLG100
14-06-2006, 18:50
oh right that might explain my window not doing much when i clicked on links :)

socralynnek
14-06-2006, 19:40
for me the server was unreachable in the last hour or so

Kingreno
14-06-2006, 21:31
Had heavy downtime again today. Time for a fist...

barbu1977
14-06-2006, 22:41
Maybe BCLG's spam thread has something to do with it.

ProPain
15-06-2006, 02:41
Things are going tits up again. I've planned a holiday in 4 weeks and I'll do some major maintenance then. Hope you all bear with me untill then.

Shabbaman
17-06-2006, 00:04
Hohoho, it's that special time of the year again: an opportunity to bring out... THE FIST! Performance is what you could descibe as "sub-par" [fist]

BCLG100
17-06-2006, 00:32
hmmm, well i suppose i could tone down my posting in the spam thread...

ProPain
17-06-2006, 02:19
BCLG, dont worry about your spam thread. This has more intricate causes. Sadly we still dont fully understand (or rather: dont have a fucking clue) what's causing this from time to time.

BCLG100
17-06-2006, 03:50
it seems to be happening more daytime GMT than daytime US time, might just be my observation though.

Melifluous
17-06-2006, 12:19

pfff. what doesn't piss off the spamfairy these days?

Hey!

I resemble that remark!

[melihere]

Shabbaman
17-06-2006, 19:57
Did I mention the site was down until some moments ago? No? Well, it was down.

akots
17-06-2006, 23:52
Pretty much down for me for the past 3-4 days with occasional breaks.

Beam
18-06-2006, 00:12
Agree with stupids ^.

Plus I reinstalled my cdz email and it does not receive email although account testing doesn't report errors. Please say if I can help with the site though my technical skills are not the best in the gang.

Tubby Rower
21-06-2006, 16:08
are the fists ready for the delicate parts again?

Shabbaman
21-06-2006, 16:26
Site performance is horrible.

Melifluous
21-06-2006, 16:29
It's certainly getting that way.

If I notice it's shit I restart bits, also the server pools restart every hour (I think Digger has the exact time noted and now posts once an hour).

Now the server itself keeps telling me some crap about Application Pools timing out during shutdown and that it needs some more updates so I've just updated the machine to the last Micro$oft patches and rebooted the bastard.

It's lucky it's a virtual server in a server farm or it'd be straight to the knackers yard.

[meli]

Melifluous
21-06-2006, 16:40
Yes

I rebooted the server, CDZ works for a few minutes and crashes again.

I hate it when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a train :(

Anyways, tweaked the crap outta the Application pool (now restarts every 5 minutes, longer tolerance of timeouts, restarts after 1000 processes, fists itself in the arse when it crashes etc...)

So if it does crash it should come back quicker.
I apologise for not being able to fix it properly, the best it said then was that the application pool had a fatal communications error with the W3Srv service the swine!

[meli]

PS. I advise you all to take a copy of anything you try and post BEFORE hitting the Submit Reply button ;)

Shabbaman
21-06-2006, 16:55

fists itself in the arse when it crashes etc...

I bet Tubby likes that.

Anyway, thanks for the effort Meli. We definately need better forum software.

Tubby Rower
21-06-2006, 16:56
I have giggled at it at least three times [:p]

BCLG100
21-06-2006, 16:59
what even pointless posts such as this?

Shabbaman
22-06-2006, 12:11
I noticed the site is faster if you go to the last page of a thread instead of going to the last post (iow clicking the arrow).

digger760
22-06-2006, 12:43
PS. I advise you all to take a copy of anything you try and post BEFORE hitting the Submit Reply button ;)

I find the following method quite effective when you get the server does not reposnd:

1. Click the Web Browser Stop button if it is sitting waiting for a reply

2. Hit back button on Web Brower to your edited post
3. Wait 5 mins for CDZ server to apply fist to its own arse
4. Press Submit again
5. Rinse and repeat steps 1-4 until you get the confimation of post submitted.

Shabbaman
22-06-2006, 15:22
There's some weird shit going on. When I have multiple windows open, there's no problem getting active users. Entering a thread by clicking on the title and then going to the last page by clicking next page is also possible, but slow. However, getting into a thread directly to the last page seems next to impossible.

And it looks like it's worse with older, inactive threads.

DrAlimentado
22-06-2006, 15:28
weirdness indeed, some threads load for me and others refuse. I couldnt get in at all the last few days either :/

Socrates
22-06-2006, 16:35
When I tried to reach the last post in threads today, it didn't work. Clicking on the arrow again a few seconds afterwards often worked.

Kingreno
22-06-2006, 16:49
very annoying! missing a lot of new posts this way.

Tubby Rower
22-06-2006, 17:00
Maybe we could all go spam the cycling forum...

ProPain
26-06-2006, 08:05
yesterday I experienced a lot of downtime. Researched it a bit and it appears it wasnt all our server that's fucking stuff up: yesterday my pings wouldn't resolve in an IP address. Seems fasthosts was messing things up this time.

To up the performance I'm gonna install a copy of CDZ.com on CDZ.org next thursday morning and have CDZ.com point over to that URL for the time being. That should solve a lot as it's a different account on the server (should fix the 'normal' downtime) and we don't have to rely on fasthosts any more (DNS & URL hosting for CDZ.com)

Should I find a bit of time sooner I'll fix it before that.

My apologies for all the downtime crap, I can only say it annoys me as much as it does you guys. After all we moved to a dedicated server te be rid of this hassle....

Shabbaman
26-06-2006, 11:09
With cdz.org you mean civ3duelzone.org? What about civduelzone.com? I thought you registered that as well.

BCLG100
07-07-2006, 03:04
hasnt been messing around for awhile, from what ive noticed, so congrats for whatever you did :)

Pastorius
07-07-2006, 11:39
Was the PayPal donation thingie changed from sending cash to Anar, over to sending cash to PP & RoboSuck Inc?

ProPain
08-07-2006, 02:13

With cdz.org you mean civ3duelzone.org? What about civduelzone.com? I thought you registered that as well.

I have, and it appears after fucking things up a few times they actually registered these URL. Now I;ve been trying to get my ISP to give me access to DNS settings. All very annoying: My isp has been bought up by a competitor and dropped from excellent customer service to below former eastern european standards.

quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

hasnt been messing around for awhile, from what ive noticed, so congrats for whatever you did :)

Thanks for the thumps up but apart from giving the server a daily nudge I didnt do anything. As we say over here: more luck than wisdom.

quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Was the PayPal donation thingie changed from sending cash to Anar, over to sending cash to PP & RoboSuck Inc?

Not yet, will look into that asap. Not that I'm in dire need of money but sending it anarres seems kinda of pointless as well atm.

Tubby Rower
08-07-2006, 04:21
I'll re-up as soon as the paypal is switched

Shabbaman
08-07-2006, 10:31
Not yet, will look into that asap. Not that I'm in dire need of money but sending it anarres seems kinda of pointless as well atm.

You could buy some beer for the staff fridge.

ProPain
20-07-2006, 12:18
Just a little update on the server outage this week:

For a change it wasnt our server but the ISP, they had a network error and all their servers were unreachable. So in this case Shabba can finally do what he wanted all along: apply an appropiate amount of fist to ISP arse.

Still working on the fecking url's, other ISP who deserves an equal amount of fist in arse for totally ignoring my requests.....

Update: spoke to a techie who knew his business. He promised to fix it all today and he would even send an email when he was done! Not holding my breath though. :)

Shabbaman
20-07-2006, 12:47
The domains were claimed at least, yesterday. If we can even use them that'd be even better!

Kemal
20-07-2006, 12:49
Thanks for the update and all the work you're putting in PP. :)

Matrix
20-07-2006, 18:10
You could buy some beer for the staff fridge.That is so stolen!quote:Originally posted by Kemal
Thanks for the update and all the work you're putting in PP. :)[hammer]

Shabbaman
20-07-2006, 18:27

You could buy some beer for the staff fridge.That is so stolen!

Our staff fridge is a lot cooler.