PDA

View Full Version : Dr. A's Graphic Mod

Melifluous
13-05-2003, 16:56
Did you think that Dr. A's Mod would be a great way to cheat when you saw it for the first time?

ProPain
13-05-2003, 17:24
The whole discussoin concerning this mod makes me wanna make a special popquiz. It would feature a song by black sabbath called 'Paranoid'

anarres
13-05-2003, 17:43
Maybe this should be posted as a poll in the C&C mod forum at CFC too, although I don't like the life expectancy of the person who posts it... [mischief]

col
13-05-2003, 18:24
The problem was triggered by a poster who has persistently nagged the GOTM to tighten up the rules. He/She PMed the GOTM staff and asked that the mod be banned because it would encourage cheating. The mod DOES do allow players who want to cheat the means to do that - as do many others of course - and so the staff responded.

What followed was badly handled all round.

anarres
13-05-2003, 18:40
Yep, I can say with certainty that I over reacted.

I have no regrets, apart form the damage I may have caused to DrA's reputation at CFC.

cracker went for the jugular with no respect for DrA at all. cracker also likes to continually make accusations that the mod was designed to help cheating, something which he now has recanted in his latest post in GOTM. The funny thing is that cracker has aimed his sights at me, and is saying I am using this to cause trouble. This from the person who has poured salt on to any raw bit of flesh he can find from the start.

I have to admit that cracker is very clever, his wording is suitable for a politician. This doesn't stop him being an asshole, or abusig his mod powers. He refuses to respond to my PM's or posts (unless he answers a differnt question, avoiding the point of the original post). He deletes anything I say to ask him to not make allegations in GOTM, and the only contact I have had from his side is a single PM saying 'last chance'. So when I ask about my post being deleted, am I not entitled to a response? Obviously not.

I know I should have 'given up' a long time ago, but it is not in my nature to bend to power for the sake of it. His underhand way of slighting DrA and anyone who stood up for the mod is a disgrace.

So, I over reacted. Call it a blow-out of anger at cracker and his heavy-handed modding and lack of respect for anyone not in his 'clique'. I will still sleep ok tonight.

col, I think it is obvious who the individual is, this is someone that cracker has stamped on before, a few months ago. I guess they want the letter of the law now, since that is what cracker has already applied to them.

col
13-05-2003, 20:06
I have access to the GOTM staff area and the GOTM staff email these days. I think everyone in hindsight feels that things could and should have been handled differently - and I've seen communication from everyone concerned saying so. I'm trying to use whatever influence I may have with all the parties concerned to move the situation on.

I wouldnt worry too much about Dr A's reputation. I personally dont feel it is tarnished at all by this. he has showed consideration of different points of view and is now known to a wider audience. His mod has been pretty well received (compare spelling of this with file upload screen!) and I'm using it myself! I dont think yours or Cracker's has changed much either. ;)

DrAlimentado
13-05-2003, 20:18
Well I probably should have been a bit calmer in my original response(s), but it *really* riled me that he wouldn't qualify his statements as pertaining to GOTM (and still has barely done so, but he's done *just* enough now on that score.) But no doubt I could have handled things a little better.

It's kinda weird that he is quite so undiplomatic in his posts though. A pre-req for a mod imo.

And he is still ignoring my posts and pm's it seems. But I have no desire to carry on this stupid arguing with him (and haven't done so). imho he is still slighting me/my intentions in a pretty subtle way (ie. references to 'true graphics mods' etc.) but he is making himself look foolish. That's fine with me, I am calm now and have accepted the problems with the mod and am trying to rise above any more petty disagreements.

Hopefully my GOTM complient versions will be taken for what they are, a goodwill gesture on my part to try and smooth over the sillyness of this whole mountain-out-of-a-molehill affair.

[EDIT: On re-reading this post it comes across as a lot more antagonistic than I intended it! So just to say that whatever I might personally feel about this whole shindig I am not trying to wage any sort of anti-cracker campaign.]

Aggie
13-05-2003, 20:26
I read all posts involved until this morning and I can't find a single thing that should upset cracker as it did. I really feel that anarres defended Dr A calmly and with reason. And the same can be said about Dr A's remarks.

I also had some trouble with cracker a few weeks ago to an extend that I don't think it would be a good idea to submit a GOTM.

col
13-05-2003, 20:35
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

It's kinda weird that he is quite so undiplomatic in his posts though. A pre-req for a mod imo.

Yes - too confrontational for my tastes . But I prefer to get things done somewhat differently.

Lt. Killer M
13-05-2003, 20:42
Actually, col, it might be a good idea if you asked cracker to try and respond to complains about his modding. IMHO.

WildFire
13-05-2003, 20:43
I don't use graphics mods even though i should

col
13-05-2003, 20:51
Mm - Chieftess has just delivered a rather hard slap to Cracker here.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52424&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=2

DrAlimentado
13-05-2003, 21:22
Hehe, I have to say, I nearly pissed myself when I read that!

[rotfl]

@WF, wow, you dont use snoopy's, you really should you know! It's on the ptw disk you don't even need to d/l anything.
Do it. You'll never look back.

col
13-05-2003, 21:28
Chieftess isnt noted as the toughest mod around - but that was strong stuff for her!

ERIKK
13-05-2003, 22:00
Last I heard was that Chieftess and Cracker are very not good friends...

Lt. Killer M
13-05-2003, 22:54
CT is IMHO one of the fairest and best mods (right along with Padma). And she knows when to crack down hard, like here.

ProPain
14-05-2003, 09:03
I read Chieftess post, I'm relieved another mod of CFC is trying to talk some common sense into Cracker.

[worship]CT [worship]

Shabbaman
14-05-2003, 09:12
I must say, I've never used a graphic mod, I'm way too lazy for that.

Skyfish
14-05-2003, 09:58
OK I'm the only guy that voted for 1, I probably did not read the sentence right or something like that
but my point is that I believe the Mod can be used for cheating. In GOTM19 the start was in such a way that you could gain a great advantage from knowing the resource at the edge of the fog.
HOWEVER cracker's interventions, all of them, were totally uncalled for and, as usual, pretty bad.
I think he is a very bad mod and even his work in GOTM is really not as good as he boasts all the time.

As for the guy that shouted that this mod is a cheat, if it is who I think it is, well I better not talk about him too much or else I might end up in trouble... suffice to say he is himself suspect of being one of the greatest cheaters of GOTM history...

Lt. Killer M
14-05-2003, 10:39
Skyfish: is that the guy who called for the strong rules in that CFC thread? R.....???

col
14-05-2003, 10:39
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

As for the guy that shouted that this mod is a cheat, if it is who I think it is, well I better not talk about him too much or else I might end up in trouble... suffice to say he is himself suspect of being one of the greatest cheaters of GOTM history...

I posted in the CFC thread to rattle him a little. Hopefully the message will get through. I blame him for causing this situation.
Oddly enough he PMed me to threaten me then when I laughed he says he's placed me on his ignore list.
[coool]

Skyfish
14-05-2003, 10:55
@ Killer : Yes we are talking about the same person. God forbid he finds this forum...

The "ignore" list ! [eek] [eek] [eek]
OMG ! My poor Col , how will you ever recover from such a blow ! what a master move on his part
he really "showed" you not to mess with him he ?
[lol] [lol] [lol]

anarres
14-05-2003, 11:49
Skyfish,

To clarify, anyone is welcome on this site, as long as they follow the rules. :)

Also, you wanted to vote for option 1 because that is your opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. ;)

I am going to ask all my PBEM players directly if thye mind me using this mod. It seems appropriate to check that everyone is actually happy with it, and to not play with it if not. An obvious solution is for everyone to use it, then there is no conflict.

jack merchant
14-05-2003, 12:01
Isn't 'that guy' actually a she ? I always thought it was...

On topic though, I don't think I've ever seen such blatant unprovoked agression from a moderator anywhere. But maybe there's a reason the ROP-rape is allowed in the GOTM ;)

Any of my opponents in any PBEM have full permission to use Dr. A's mod if they feeel like it - I think I may start using it myself too.

Lt. Killer M
14-05-2003, 12:05
jm: I agree, cracker is too dumb, plain and simple, to finesse his attacks like AoA does.

Aggie
14-05-2003, 12:08
I also fully agree with everyone using it vs me. I have to, because I use it myself from the day Dr A posted it.

col
14-05-2003, 13:44
Lets face it we all know so many ways round this - its easy to play on a parallel machine and look. I dont care who uses what.

col
14-05-2003, 13:46
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant

Isn't 'that guy' actually a she ? I always thought it was...
myself too.

So much for my non too subtle misdirection and disguise. ;)

Cartouche Bee
14-05-2003, 18:49
Well it's nice to see that some people offer to share their work for others and will go the extra mile to make it work for as many interest groups as they can. Thanks for the contribution. [thumbsup]

Unfortunately I had to vote number 3. :)

DrAlimentado
14-05-2003, 20:11
Thanks for the thanks CB [thumbsup]

Skyfish
14-05-2003, 20:58
Hello CB !

As a welcome note, I challenge YOU to a PBEM and dont'go cheating using those terrible graph mods, OK ????

:D

Cartouche Bee
14-05-2003, 21:38
So, get a map, if your feeling lucky. [coool] Can I use my oversized Las Vegas neon light mod? [It has imbeded sound that intensifies when units get closer to it.][evil]

Skyfish
15-05-2003, 18:35
Cool I'll post a request for a map !
Me like getting beaten up :)

Wow ! Where can I download this Las Vegas stuff dude [lol]