PDA

View Full Version : PBEM against Rik (Civ3) **** SPOILER ****

akots
11-12-2005, 11:19
Ok, it had been some time we decided to play a game, me and Rik. Kemal cooked the map, many thanks for that!

No AI, Civ3 conquests of course, emperor level, Pangea, tiny size. Me as Zulu and Rik as Egypt. So, impi against war chariots. Defense against attack. Must be a tricky game ahead, Rik had promised to do his best and beat me up. Looking forward to it!

I have settled on the spot, popped Ceremonial Burial from the hut and moved worker to chop the game forest and irrigate it. Will go for another scout and then warrior and then Granary in the capital. Research to Wheel and then Bronze and then will try to beeline to Monarchy before battling with impi. The game should end early, no sense in going for Republic imho. But Monarchy is expensive and might be worth going to Philo but not decided about that. I think I can go for Golden Age in Despotism, it should not be that bad. Otherwise, impi and chariots/horsemen, I don't think I'll build anything else in this game except settlers and workers.

Here is the start:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20051211101927_akri001.JPG
71.14 KB

akots
07-01-2006, 19:47
Update on turn 50.

Seems that Rik is doing everything right. It also seems, he is headed to Republic or so I hope. The map is somewhat poor in luxuries which are available but are widely spread out. Expansion on the other hand, is rather slow. I have a food bonus in the capital and am building settler+impi every 6 turns. Rik does not have noticeable food bonuses but he is industrious which is a very powerful trait for growth.

I had a rather good luck with huts popped by 3 scouts. I popped a city (far away from the core, little use except it can run a scientist there), 25 gold, maps, and 3 techs: Ceremonial Burial, Alphabet, and Bronze Working. I'm researching Poly now and Monarchy next. Rik had built at least 2 War Chariots already apparently not being afraid of Despotic Golden Age. I have 2 impi, more are being built.

Here is a pic of Zulu core:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200617184215_akri050a.JPG
119.83KB

And F11 which is essentially even, I'm jumping from first to second in almost everything every turn. Power is also mostly even.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200617184323_akri050b.JPG
78.37KB

Game plan is obscure atm. The map is tiny in size but Kemal had put us in the opposite corners and even with a road and movement 2, it would take at least 10 turns for any stack to move into offensive. I'd also like to try to avoid despotic GA as long as possible, so I'm not sending any impi towards Egypt, just patrolling against wondering chariots and scouting on mountains and jungle tiles with scouts. Prority is set on expansion and grabbing more luxuries while trying to build up some military. There is a great difficulty in producing workers however without another food bonus. I'm really puzzled as to what is the optimal strategy here to proceed.

akots
15-01-2006, 06:08
Update on turn 78. Rik has triggered my Golden Age 20 turns ago forcing me to attack his wondering War Chariot with Impi. I have won and he lost, too bad. Because I think I used Golden Age rather well researching redundant techs and saving about 250g for warrior upgrades just in case I get in trouble. I have also espanded a lot and built about 15 Impi which are now trying to harrass Rik from mountains to slow his expansion and worker jobs and force him to go on the defensive. Impi in numbers are not that bad and Rik is forced to build regular troops (I have only veterans because of cheap barracks) and use war chariots on the defensive. I also had a very favorable RNG so far killing 3 chariots and one warrior and not losing any Impi yet. I'm not sure what he is up to, Republic or Monarchy. I cannot afford a revolution right now even with Golden Age over, there is not enough time for that. I'm continuing to produce some Impi and also planning to enhance the offense with a few swordsmen and may be a few horsemen in about a dozen turns. I do not understand what is Rik's plan except that he is trying to survive. He has only one luxury and I'll try to prevent him from hooking up another one. I'm myself in the process of connecting the third luxury, so might go for Republic after all but I have not started researching Republic or Monarchy at all. I was beaten to Philo by Rik who apparently picked up Code of Laws. It seems that he might be researching Republic but hard to tell. Even though the Golden Age had finished, I'm first in most demographics except GNP which is OK for Zulu imho in this setup. I'm also trying to build up some workers in corrupt cities and started on Forbidden Palace near the capital.

Here is the current battlefield near Egyptian territory. I'm aiming with in Impi at 2 workers and one might be able to retreat whereas Rik has to cover another with a unit which might weaken his guard up north so that Impi would be able to sneak in and pillage something. More Impi are on the way and will arrive in a few turns to the border to continue harrassement mission there. Seems like a funny game, playing the Zulu. I don't know how it would turn out in the end but it might be that going into triggering my early Golden Age was not a best decision for Rik since now he is forced to stay low and cannot really mount any effective attack with war chariots.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2006115589_akri078.JPG
148.74KB

akots
15-01-2006, 08:21
Small update on turn 80: Rik is revolting to Republic. On the one hand, it might be good since I just managed to raze Giza with 3 Impi against a regular spear and Rik can face war weariness. On the other hand, it is also good because now I can research Republic in merely 12 turns. It can be probably even less with some growth. However, with Golden Age, Rik's production can skyrocket and he'll be able to make many war chariots. May be I should start calling off the impi? Since I cannot keep them coming in numbers now after Golden Age had finished. [confused]

akots
19-01-2006, 04:43
The game is progressing rather well to turn 86 already with one exception. We are having very weird RNG results. For some strange reason, one-on-one no-Ai games recently had been very streaky like my game against Grahamiam. Egyptian units seem cursed for the past 6 or 7 turns. This may partially be due to the fact that Rik is not attacking with War Chariots but is defending with them which is a bit of a waste imho. I have managed to raze Elephantine (for some reason Rik did not move spear and defended only with regular warriors) and got an MGL in the process. Chances of this to happen were less than 20% although I was not risking much because Impi can retreat and I had reinforcements on the way. MGL is running to Ulundi, the city I popped from the hut close to the middle of the map, where he will apparently build army of Impi. Army might be a good choice here, because I have Forbidden Palace ready in about 10 turns and a 3-move unit with decent defense rocks, I might be able to run away from Chariots with it and show up in unexpected places. Bad streak for Rik continues recently when I was able to kill 3 of his WC by Impi without losing any hit points. WTF? But these things happen, I expect to get a deadly payback. Rik is connecting iron and I'm facing a massive upgrade apparently in a few turns or he will just build part-rushed swordsmen. It seems I have to press really hard and may be try to raze Alexandria or al least pillage some useful improvements. There is no possibility to retreat, I must keep the pressure on. Meanwhile, expansion continues, a few more impi are being built and the third luxury is being connected. If only I could revolt to Republic now... alas, not possible. I don't know the tech yet and there is no time for Anarchy. Researching Mapmaking meanwhile, since the core cities might use some harbors. I'm also thinking about Literature but Libraries are expensive, I think I'll stick with impi and warriors for some time and save a bunch of cash.

Otherwise, I'm falling far behind in everything in F11 screen except population, land area, and military. That is disturbing.

akots
21-01-2006, 19:27
The game had been stopped on turn 88. Rik had lost Alexandria and very upset by the weird RNG streak. I think I've lost one or two impi for the whole game which is indeed extremely streaky.

Rik Meleet
23-01-2006, 19:17
Thanks for the game, Akots.
I did enjoy it, until the "weird RNG streak".

I feel I owe you an explanation.

I base my tactics on the odds. When they are not in line with reality for longer periods of time and by a large margin, my empire will be in ruins. On top of that; I personally find it difficult to deal with the RNG events we had in this game. That must be my mathematics background. I can't stand it when reality is not in line with the odds. And yes; I know 10% is not 0% and 90% is not 100%, but an event that has 90% chance; happening once in 10 times is too much for me.
Sorry if I insulted you or was rude to you, I was simply really angry. Not at you, just in general.

I would like to play you again, but not in a setup like this (as you point out "1-on-1-no-AI" has streaky RNG).