PDA

View Full Version : Patch 1.09 released

Mistfit
17-11-2005, 04:30
There is a note from Firaxis on the Official Civilization IV site regarding the Civ4 patch. Here is the full message:

Hello everyone!

I've heard from many of you via the Firaxis website Contact Us form (many thanks for all the dxdiag files and savegames) and wanted to say thanks for all the feedback and detailed bug reports that were sent up.

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of Monday afternoon, the patch was sent to 2K for final testing, so barring any problems in QA, we will be releasing it shortly.

Some of the highlights include multiple AI improvements and tweaks, worker behavior tweaks, MANY game play improvements (ex Animal Husbandry reveals horses), promotion tweaks, a softer pillage sound (requested by many, many people), fixed diplomatic exploits (gold for gold, peace treaty exploit), multiplayer tweaks (Hot seat, Lobby, etc.), memory, caching and performance improvements, etc. There were also a number of video card specific fixes.

To those of you having problems, thanks for your patience. Our guys were working around the clock with your detailed feedback to produce this patch. For those of you having no problems, it's only going to get better. =)

Dennis Shirk
Firaxis Games

Dennis Shirk is the web producer at Firaxis.

Note: Copied from the front page at CFC

ProPain
17-11-2005, 10:02
Hurray!!

.. and about time too! [:p]

Beam
17-11-2005, 10:59
They've listened well. Hopefully this ends beta testing.

col
17-11-2005, 11:53
So there wont be any complaints at CFC about the new patch?

Yeah.

Right.

Lt. Killer M
17-11-2005, 12:02
hehe, col, wait until we see what NEW bugs they managed to include in the patch.....

Ginger_Ale
23-11-2005, 01:52
It's out... (main menu -> advanced -> check for updates) ... and it's 25 MBs!

Go find all the bugs killer!! ;)

Socrates
23-11-2005, 02:00
You're fast, my friend. :D

Funny, it's not even for download online, but you can get it through the ingame update, so no way for me to be aware of it if I didn't open my game box !! [lol]

Anyway, couldn't be any better, I got the game this afternoon, and tonight the patch is out. I'll install Civ4 tomorrow anyway, it's already 2am here. [mischief] But then I won't have time to play much, because you know where to find me tomorrow afternoon, if you have a look at CFC's main page. [groucho]

EDIT : Ginger_Ale, did you get aware of it while playing a Civ4 game (like an alert popup), or have you manually checked it for a thousand times already ?

Ginger_Ale
23-11-2005, 02:30
No, I just checked CFC and someone made a thread about it...

I don't even have the game yet!! [:p] (damn Amazon)

akots
23-11-2005, 02:41
Downloaded and installed (with some error but it seems to work). Indeed a quickie fix of the most hot problems yet many remain still.

Ginger_Ale
23-11-2005, 03:02
Nevermind: patch pulled

http://forums.civfanatics.com/announcement.php?f=144&a=362

Socrates
23-11-2005, 03:14
[spam]

[lol]

Melifluous
23-11-2005, 03:23
Go to bed already ...

[:P]

[meli]

Socrates
23-11-2005, 03:28
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Go to bed already ...

[:P]

[meli]

If you think that one hour makes a real difference between you and me in this part of the day. [mischief] What were you saying again ? [whatsthis

akots
23-11-2005, 05:05
Tried fucking Deity on Standard map with default number of opponents. Before the capital grew to size 4, all land had been settled. Fuck, this is definitely unplayable. Guess need a food bonus and make a worker sooner and chop some tree to get the settler out more rapidly.

akots
23-11-2005, 05:39
Ok, tried without barbarians and I'm getting cornered regardless of whatever I do before the first settler is ready. Tried also with barbarians. Not getting cornered in this case but getting killed by 4 archers around 2000BC. Either way, does not look promising. Although Emperor and Immortal seems to be playable.

Lt. Killer M
23-11-2005, 09:12
same here - deity means the AIs come knocking with Axemen at the latest - I am still building my first settler. End of game.

Socrates
24-11-2005, 02:35
And again... Patch v1.09 is out. CFC is getting so excited. [:p] Will wait for tomorrow before trying that myself, to see if it's OK this time. Besides it's late here, and I started to write one poem. [mischief]

Pastorius
24-11-2005, 09:15
What is up with Xfire

1.00 didnt have it, and it worked well with MP.
They bundle it with Xfire, and present it as if not installing it will not allow you to play with friends online.

I m not saying it is crap, nor that it cant be useful, but it certainly is presented in a dubious way in the patch.

Here is a readup on what Xfire includes:
http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=XFire&file=download

Melifluous
24-11-2005, 11:01
XFire I believe is used to help you find your friends online, something a certain tiger was complaining about IIRC [nowait]

[meli]

PS. And no, I didn't install it [:P]

Pastorius
24-11-2005, 11:09
As I see it, it covers what MSNM does for us today. Besides, there is an ingame chat function there already - not the best though.

Yes, I thought the damn lobby was confusing - but IIRC, the patch fixed some of the issues I complained about, so I think it will be easier now...

Melifluous
24-11-2005, 13:14
Patch will be uploaded here soon.

24 megs takes me a little while to upload :)

[meli]

Melifluous
24-11-2005, 13:59
OK uploaded now...

Main page updated, patches section updated.

Lazy bastards can get our local copy here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/Downloads/V109PATCHREL.zip).

Enjoy!

Melifluous

Tubby Rower
24-11-2005, 14:54
That would be an all night download on dialup... .luckily I just got cable :D. What are they doing for the people who either have dial-up or God forbid no internet??

Melifluous
24-11-2005, 15:14
Am sure you could get the patch from computer magasines next month.

Its what they normally do.

[meli]

Shabbaman
24-11-2005, 15:16
But then again, in a month they'll have a new patch. It'd cost you a fortune in otherwise worthless magazines.

Shabbaman
24-11-2005, 17:56
"No, I don't want to play with my friends online." :D

romeothemonk
24-11-2005, 18:40
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

"No, I don't want to play with my friends online." :D

Official Manual for 1.09 patch.

[shabba] Does not play well with others. [shabba]

Beam
25-11-2005, 00:24
The good news is the black tiles on my laptop are visible now. The pigs SE of the settler still are a bit shady. Sid is a veggy?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2005112502439_civ4onlaptop.jpg
70.89KB

Rik Meleet
25-11-2005, 00:46
It works on my laptop now as well. I only playtested a little bit, but I did notice something weird with sheep disappearing. Now that Beam reports Pigs can vanish and CFC reports double headed horses it's time to start worrying about animal welfare !

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/WhiteElk/CivIV/TwoHeadedHorseII.jpg

Tubby Rower
25-11-2005, 03:35
the shadows were what I saw when I had the laptop on my trip. The fix for the black terrain was to make all technologies reveal the world map. But even with that there were ghost pigs, sheep, elephants, cows, horses, etc. I started to pick up on the fact that there were always 4 pigs, 1 elephant, 4 cows, etc. Once I got home I finally saw what the animals looked like. :)

BE WARNED::::I installed the patch and the PBEM that I had going with Whomp is now defunct. I'm having trouble loading a pre-patch PBEM save. SP games load fine. it just looks at me when I type in my password. The OK button does nothing and the only button that works is the cancel. I don't think that there were many PBEM's already started but I thought that I'd warn folks before they loaded the patch.

ERIKK
25-11-2005, 09:36
AFAIK the patch sucks. Mucho complains at CFC and on my pc I still see the fuzzy the rivers in unknown tiles (black tiles). I have no music anymore and the rest of the performance issues at still open (intro movies, zooming etc etc). I noticed a speed up in the main menu sweapping. But that can be my imagination.

The big plus is the hammers are present now...

Pastorius
25-11-2005, 09:47
Hm. It seems there is not just one result from applying the patch.

Perhaps people should give a little more detail as to how things were before applying it?

Kingreno
25-11-2005, 11:06
I tried a game with 6 opponents on a standard map and interturns take roughly 5 freaking minutes. [aargh]

Also, several units have some very colourful stripes all over the screen. Less then in 1.00 but still too much...

For me, the game approaches unplayability.[bosd]

Melifluous
25-11-2005, 12:07
v1.09 seems to have made the icons for the techs fuzzy now.

Apart from that nothing has really changed for me...

[meli]

akots
25-11-2005, 12:26
Well, onw thing that actually was screwed in the patch badly seems to be the governor. However it can be a feature but extremely annoying. I've turned the guy off repeatedly but he turned himself on again every turn in a few cities. Not sure what is the reason for this because at a certain time this nonsense disappeared. But it made micromanagement very tedious.

DavidC
25-11-2005, 16:31
The patch worked wonders for me, playability greatly increased :)

akots
26-11-2005, 08:03
Now, not sure about playbility, it was ok in my case but it seems that another thing which is somewhat screwed by the patch is a few map-generating scripts. The maps (continents specifically) are really different and they are weird, I'm telling you. May be more balanced but of really bizzare shape and terrain. Also, I could not get a grassland start out fo 15 starts. It seems there is too much plains on the map. These plains are the game killer imho. But plains it were all the way. Grassland seems to just disappear somewhere. Why is it so difficult to make the balanced continents maps? Just count all tiles and make it balanced???????????

Edited: The map feast continued for about 3 more hours with occasional breaks and I'm giving up now. Have not found a single reasonable grassland start which was easy in the unpatched version. Where have they seen that many plains in the real world? [confused]

Melifluous
26-11-2005, 09:10
OK What happened to the leaderheads eyebrows?

I have dark mascara on Anthony and Albino lashes on Caeser.

Very odd...

[meli]

akots
28-11-2005, 06:37
The quest for a decent grassland start on a continents map continued unsuccessfully today for two more hours. The best I get is patches of grass with patches of plains and large amount of desert and mountains. If there is a river nearby, it amounts to horrendous amount of flood plains. Also, i've tried a tropical climate setting to no effect. It seems the map generator is broken in the patch.

ProPain
28-11-2005, 09:20
I feel a dual install coming up again:
- old orginal civ to generate starts
- new patch to play em

[rotfl] gotta love firaxis for this!

Lt. Killer M
01-12-2005, 10:39
since patching (all fine ingame) I get crashes to desktop when Alt-Tabbing out of civ :(

Darkness
01-12-2005, 10:57
Not wanting to complain too much, because this patch has at least made the game playable for me, but:

Since the patch I've been having some problems with the tech tree.
I started a game as Huanya Capac last night. He starts with Mysticism, so I thought: "Well, let's go for Polytheism, so I can found hinduism." Worked fine. I found Hinduism in Cuzco and do the revolt thingy. Start research on animal husbandry (sheep and pigs nearby). Get that too. Then look at the bigger picture to see what tech to research.
Confusion starts. The tech tree does not show Polytheism in bright green, but in grey? What do you mean, I don't have polytheism? [???] I bloody founded Hinduism in Cuzco!!! [aargh]

Kemal
01-12-2005, 11:00
Can you research poly again? A screenshot would be very helpful here. :)

Darkness
01-12-2005, 11:37
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Can you research poly again? A screenshot would be very helpful here. :)

No, I couldn't research it again. It was just displayed in the wrong colour on the F6 screen.
Regrettably I did not take a screenshot. :(

Rik Meleet
01-12-2005, 11:53
Do you have an (auto)save ?

Darkness
01-12-2005, 12:07
Maybe. But don't the aotosaves get replaced by newer autosaves every time?
The polytheism thing happened in 3500 BC (or something) and I played to 1300 AD last night...
But I'll check later, if I can find some time....

Pastorius
09-12-2005, 15:31
Memory issues adressed @ that other forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=146309

Havent tried it, and I ll wait till I ve tested my performance under 1.09 before I do (if I do)

So read and try at your own risk.

Darkness
15-12-2005, 21:49
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

. The tech tree does not show Polytheism in bright green, but in grey? What do you mean, I don't have polytheism? [???] I bloody founded Hinduism in Cuzco!!! [aargh]

Got the same type of problem again.

This time I popped animal husbandry from a hut about a dozen turns ago.
I know this for sure, because I can see horses.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Darkness/20051215214720_horsies.JPG
90.43KB

But the techtree doesn't agree... [???]
Well, I can't research it again, so the game knows I've got the tech, but it's still in the wrong colour...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Darkness/20051215214753_anim.JPG
116.12KB

Maybe it's just my louzy graphics card here, but I was under the impression that you didn't need super graphics just to show a tech in the right colour. [crazyeye]

grahamiam
15-12-2005, 22:02
I've had that happen before too. I believe it stays that way till you restart Civ4.

Darkness
15-12-2005, 23:05
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

I've had that happen before too. I believe it stays that way till you restart Civ4.

Yep, it does...
That's how I got rid of it the first time.

digger760
16-12-2005, 09:49
Well the GeForce MX series had problems displaying a couple of peices of bread and a hammer in the Gold release...it was fixed in the patch though. Tree lined hills are still bald though (as Darkness's by the looks of the picture) (my laptop has a better graphics card and it displays a thick head of trees on hills!)

Ginger_Ale
23-12-2005, 05:03
Patch 1.52 is released...check the Advanced -> Check for Updates screen ingame.

barbu1977
23-12-2005, 05:23
And for the list of changes:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/doc/Civ4v152Readme.htm

akots
23-12-2005, 05:48
That sounds like a completely different game. Still there are many more bugs to fix, they just scratched the surface here. But looks promising.

akots
23-12-2005, 06:12
Good new is that some stuff is fixed. Bad news is that we can expect 1.53 or whatever in a few days since it does not seem neither to install properly nor to work properly on some machines.

Pastorius
23-12-2005, 07:35
Wow. A repeat of "full speed to 1.29" [crazyeyes]

Will test later (tis about time for a Paalikles tests cIV game soon anyway)

Akots, how is the new patch treating you in terms of starting tiles?

akots
23-12-2005, 08:49
Can't tell you that since I have not installed it yet. I'm still trying to finish GOTM which has to be played out in 1.09.

Shabbaman
23-12-2005, 09:16
Patch 1.52 thread here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3314)!