PDA

View Full Version : Peace treaty exploit/bug

Shabbaman
04-11-2005, 14:17
I just discovered something spicey (hope nobody has beaten me to it ;) ). If you're negotiating peace, you can get free stuff from the AI!

Negotiate peace, ask for something ridiculous. They refuse. Then, offer something in return. You'll get an error message, stating that only gifts are allowed when negotiatiing peace, no trades.

Then, ask for what a reasonable price would be for peace. The absurd offer will remain on the negotiation table. Accept it :D

Yes, I'm cheating at my first game of civ4 [rotfl]

ProPain
04-11-2005, 15:02
that sounds like the standard bad QA firaxis type bug

Matrix
04-11-2005, 15:11
Ouch...

Shabbaman, I order you to the bug reports forum (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)! ;)

Kemal
04-11-2005, 15:21
The bug has already been reported and will be taken care off in the next patch, or so this standard bad Firaxis QA-guy believes... ;)

Btw, it is possible to use this too without being at war, it seems.

Shabbaman
04-11-2005, 15:50
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Ouch...

Shabbaman, I order you to the bug reports forum (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)! ;)

Hey, those standard bad Firaxis QA-guys can come over here and read it, right?
Found it (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136984) between a mass of bug reports.

Beam
04-11-2005, 16:38
in one of my first games I was unprepared when the AI invaded, lost one city. Next turn the AI finally wanted to discuss peace and agreed giving back the same city as part of the deal! [rotfl]

ProPain
04-11-2005, 17:29
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

The bug has already been reported and will be taken care off in the next patch, or so this standard bad Firaxis QA-guy believes... ;)

Btw, it is possible to use this too without being at war, it seems.

Man did you do a lousy job [:p][rotfl]

Beam
28-11-2005, 18:22
Fixed in 1.09.

Socrates
28-11-2005, 20:37
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Fixed in 1.09.

What new bug was this traded for ? [mischief]

(if you're looking for me, I'm already in the fog of war...)

akots
28-11-2005, 22:33
The AI has been considerably less cooperative in version 1.09. You essentially cannot get techs or cities in exchange for peace even when AI is really cornered with a single defender in a single city left surrounded by multiple attackers. They just die proudly instead of trying to prolong the resistance and surviving. They won't trade maps with you ever if they are less than pleased and even if please it is still almost impossible. They will declare war if asked but the price is very steep. Also, I'm not sure though, it seems that the same thing that was in civ3 is still there. I mean that once AI had dispatched the troops to a certain location, the troops would still move there regardless of changes in the global situation. In one of the games me and France were both at war with Spain. France was pleased towards me and we were long-term allies. However, it was me who managed to capture a city from Spain. In about 6 turns, a few French troops landed near that city of mine and attacked it without any apparent reason. It seems that while this city was still Spanish, the troops have been dispatched and they were given "order" to attack the city which they did. The only difference is the number of units. In civ3 it were 1-2 and sometimes 3 units but in civ4 it is at least 4 and sometimes up to 8 units or even 10 or 12 on higher difficulty level. So, ignore military and navy at your own peril!

Another glitchy AI behavior revealed in 1.09 is that baiting with units still works. AI will counter attack with defenders from the city if there is a slightest chance. However it is not that bad in civ4 because attack does not take the whole move, it takes 1/2 or 1/3 of the move if done on roads but whole move if done without roads. So, good idea is to bait with a weak unit after pillaging the road on that particular tile. You can very efficiently exchange your outdated warriors for some war elephants or even riflemen this way luring them in the open and decreasing the number of defenders you have to face in the city.

Well, good thing you might still be able to trade some techs occasionally. But I find importance of diplomacy greatly downgraded after the patch. You can play and win without checking diplo every other turn even on higher difficulty levels imho. Once in 10-20 turns just pressing F4 and checking what techs they have seems to be sufficient.