PDA

View Full Version : What kind of decks are you playing?

Energy
25-10-2005, 08:19
I like playing white-green decks and black-red combo's. What kind of decks are you guys playing?

Shabbaman
25-10-2005, 10:17
Well... playing... none ;)

But I own a lot of decks, and even more cards. I have decks in most formats, but no Standard deck for the last two years. My last Standard deck was a BR reanimator deck when Odyssey was legal.

Vintage:

I have a RG beatz deck that used to be an original Ice Age Stormbind deck. It's good against a lot of decks, but unfortunately it's no match against modern Vintage decks (you know, anything with power in it) and it's really agressive. I like that, I can't hold a counterspell and wait until my opponent does something. The deck might be taken apart (for the first time in 8 years!) because I have bought 4 Survival of the fittest and I want something to do with them. A legacy RG survival build is in the making.

Though I got 4 Squees last week, so the stormbind might go in again as well.

I also got a proxied Worldgorger dragon combo deck, but that's too good to play against.

I'm currently building a Legacy reanimator deck (with the burning wishes from the old Standard deck, the spells from an old Extended reanimator deck and with the 4 new Squees!). Legacy is my favorite format, a lot of old cards but nothing overly expensive (like in Vintage). I have a UG madness deck in this format, which can be tuned for Extended easily.

Next up is The Rock, the name for almost any BG deck. BG is my favorite color pair. Some cool shit in the new set for this color combination! The deck is Extended legal, but not really tuned. It has Pernicious deed (BEST CARD EVER) and Living wish, I can play it in multiplayer as well (play more multiplayer than anything else anyway). If I can think of a killer combo for the deck I think ít'll become my 2HG deck.

For multiplayer I have a zombie/tombstone stairwell deck (New and improved! Now with Squee and Zombie infestation!) and a Varchild War-riders deck.

In short, I play anything as long as it doesn't have white in it. Although I did get a Savannah recently...

Darkness
25-10-2005, 10:20
Oh, ancient history...

I haven't picked these up in at least 4 years.
I used to play a lot, but I simply can't find time for it anymore, and neither can the guys I used to play against. :(

For multiplayer I had a really solid Green-Blue combo deck, utilizing the react-capacities and flying skills of the Blue for the early game (to quietly grow) and the heavy creatures and unit boosts of the Green to finish it off...

Single Player:
Red-White combo deck, a la "White Heat"
All Black Necromany/Leech-based deck
5-Colour Sliver deck. This one was actually pretty decent, but later I removed the Red Slivers and it was even better. The key to a good sliver deck is, IMHO, having enough of the really good ones (Winged Sliver - Blue, Horned Sliver - Green, Cristalline Sliver - Blue/White, and one other that I can't seem to recal right now. The Sliver Queen was nice too ;))

Tubby Rower
26-10-2005, 08:19
I'm trying to gather enough cards for an artifact deck with red spells, a red-green deck, and maybe a black/green deck. I've got ~300 cards right now and I'm trying to find people to trade with. One kind soul online let me have his excess common cards over 4. I only took 15 because I didn't want to be greedy. If anyone is playing online, see if I'm onliine and see if you like anything.

ProPain
26-10-2005, 09:37
I own 100o cards online and bout the same offline I guess. They're all booster bouht cards so no real consistency. Offline I have deck that's affinity but not even comes close to the real fast affinity decks. (but still good enough to beat Swingue on a permanent basis!)

Online my cards are a mess, I rarely trade and mostly play tourny so no real need for a constructed deck. I do built a very low cost counter online, it's very slow but fun to play and I thought it up myself. Needs some improvement though.

What name do you use online Tubby? (So I can add you to my buddy list) I'm ProPainCDZ.

Tubby Rower
26-10-2005, 09:40
'Tubby Rower' is my username. I'll add you as well

Shabbaman
26-10-2005, 10:08
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Offline I have deck that's affinity but not even comes close to the real fast affinity decks. (but still good enough to beat Swingue on a permanent basis!)

You know they banned a lot of the affinity cards, right? So in fact you should be dq'd and Swingue given the match win [hammer]

ProPain
26-10-2005, 13:24
Which ones, I only saw skullclamp and disciple of the vault being banned but I dont really follow it much.

I dont own any skullclamps and only one disciple. Also my deck contains only 4 arti lands or so and no ornithopters. I do managed to get a broodstar from one of my boosters, and that usually does the trick around the office, combined with lightning greaves and cranial plating. I only have one of those as well so it's all pretty weak.

DrAlimentado
26-10-2005, 13:35
this thread is really very strange... I never knew MTG was so er, involved [nerd]

so its not like top trumps then?

Shabbaman
26-10-2005, 14:22
@PP: In extended, skullclamp, disciple and aether vial. Especially aether vial is really strong. In standard they banned arcbound ravager and all the artifact lands. If you do get those ornithopters, artifact lands and some atogs, you have a really competetive deck. I'd only cost you about 5 euros or so. If you're interested, gameforce and cardexchange are cheap and trustworthy sites to buy cards. There are sites where you can buy magic online singles and packs as well, but I don't know them.

For your budget control deck I suggest standstill. Most budget decks lack card drawing, and standstill is cheap (in mana, in value probably as well) and extremily annoying (especially if combined with zombie infestation and squee, muahaha). A fun route for any control deck, but especially for multiplayer.

Cowardice:

Enchantment, 3UU

quote:Whenever a creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, return that creature to its owner#65533;s hand. (It won#65533;t be affected by the spell or ability.)

It's a rare, but it's not a really competetive card so you might be able to pick it up cheap. For example, it kills any deck reliant on equipment (see Kemal, this is what I mean when I say there's a way to play around newer cards/abilities!), but it lets you play with icy manipulators as well! Ooh, icy... The budget version would be crystal shard, I guess.

Got you a budget deck (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/nh4) for it and a nice article that covers a lot of angles and a lot of expensive decks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/as15).

@dr. A. [finger]

Kemal
26-10-2005, 14:35
I agree, you are correct on that playing around the abilities can be done, but there is still the fact that if you get some boosters of any newer set, you will need a lot more cards of the same set to build a succesful deck with those new cards. :(

I had the feeling that with older sets, the synergy between old and new cards was much better, allowing you to easily blend in your new cards in your older decks. But I guess that is not a financially solid basis for any company distributing CCGs...

ProPain
26-10-2005, 14:36
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

this thread is really very strange... I never knew MTG was so er, involved [nerd]

Encountered this pic in one of your posts dr. A.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/DrAlimentado/2005102613050_watchlist.finish.26.10.05.jpg
29.11 KB

Now who's a nerd again.......

Shabbaman
26-10-2005, 14:56
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

I had the feeling that with older sets, the synergy between old and new cards was much better, allowing you to easily blend in your new cards in your older decks.

You know, if you have a solid deck it's easier to build a deck with newer cards. Look at the vintage and legacy formats. Especially in vintage a lot of decks (different archetypes) consist of a lot of the same cards. Obviously the expensive power cards, but even cheap commons like brainstorm and so on.

So get yourself some good cards, and then some new crap. Throw it together and you have a deck that plays differently than your old deck.

For example, if you want to play control, start each deck with 4 Force of will, 4 Brainstorm, 4 Accumulated knowledge and 4 Intuition. I know intuition is expensive (about 15 euros) but it is one of the most powerful cards ever printed. Change them for Fact or fiction. Same goes for Force of will, but it's an uncommon so you might have them lying around somewhere (though it's about 30 euros these days). Just change them for counterspell or mana leak.
That's 16 cards, almost half your deck (not counting land). A lot of room for other cards. But no matter what, you have some control and a lot of card drawing. Especially drawing/tutoring/manipulating (brainstorm) helps your deck a lot.

Expanding on this example, the new set has milling as a theme in UB. Well, there's been a lot of milling in past sets. Take some grindstones and a seedborn muse and you're finished quickly.

BTW, I never buy packs, it's a waste of money IMO.

DrAlimentado
26-10-2005, 15:03
@PP

I have never denied my nerd rating! ;)

[cookiem]