YAY! THAT'S AWESOME!!!

[:P]

Ginger_Ale
08-10-2005, 13:56
I refuse to congratulate you.

:(

barbu1977
08-10-2005, 15:10
How long has is been since the Sox's last World title?

Since Montreal is gone, I only have a "hate list" and a "sympathy list"

Hate list:
1-Yankees
2-Marlins

Sympathy List:
1-Cubs (because they have great fans)
2-Angels (Because of Vladimir Guerero)
3-Dodgers (Because of Eric Gagné)
4-Boston (Used to be #1 but drop since they have won last year.)
5-Any small market team doing good (like the A's did couple years ago).

Tubby Rower
08-10-2005, 15:42
cubs will do it next year ;)

That's the perrenial motto of the cubbies... But alas I'm a fan :( gluton for punishment I am

romeothemonk
08-10-2005, 16:26
Congrats Whomp.
I am a huge fan of the AL Central.
I am really hoping that the white sox can go to the series, and hopefully win.
I love baseball and I am cheering for anyone that isn't from Boston or New York.
Go White Sox. The great part is that they developed most of their own talent.

Whomp
08-10-2005, 17:29
Thanks everyone and Ginger Ale too. I am very hungover from celebrating. I told Ginger I had tickets for game two but got screwed out of them by a ticket broker but I have game one of the next series. Weewho!! I can't stand myself.

It seems the Red Sox have a new goat and Bill Buckner can rest. They really impressed me. Thank goodness for the two yankee throw offs Contreras and El Duque.

Matrix
08-10-2005, 19:46
Is there a list of historical champions?

What sport is this anyway? Baseball? [blush]

Whomp
09-10-2005, 04:54
Here is a list of World Series champions Matrix. The New York Yankees have won 26 World Championships. The Chicago White Sox have not won since 1917 (still better than the other Chicago team the Cubs who haven't won since 1908) The White Sox haven't even been in a World Series since 1959. So far this team has a chip on its shoulder since they aren't getting a lot of credit considering they had the best record in American League. We have a great pitching staff and that's what wins baseball games.

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/fishbert/champs.html

Beorn
11-10-2005, 01:57
What wins baseball games is points !! harrr harr harr

OK so, barbu, where were the Expos in your list, in the "I sympathise those frenchies who hated to see them go?" ;)

barbu1977
11-10-2005, 04:28
Hey the Expos will always be my favorite team. So many memories attached to them. Even at the end I was going to around 5 games a year.

BTW, good to see company here. I'm in Brossard, Québec.

romeothemonk
17-10-2005, 22:32
[beer1][beer1] Much celebration [beer1][beer1]
Congrats Whomp, your Sox are headed to the WS.
I hope you snag a seat for one of the games.
I hope the Sox win, as you have A.J. Pierzynski, probably my single favorite player. All he does is get in people's heads and help his team win. A.J. was a favorite player of mine when he was on the Twins, and will probably remain so until the end of time.

Put Shoeless Joe in the Hall. One doesn't hit in excess of .350 when throwing the series.

grahamiam
17-10-2005, 22:44
It ashame that if the Astros win tonight, they still have to wait for Saturday till the series starts.

barbu1977
17-10-2005, 23:02
TV runs the sport. It's also ashame that you have to wait 2 minutes in the midle of a football or hockey game for a tv commercial.

Whomp
17-10-2005, 23:20
Thanks everyone. As the Chicago Tribune said "Party like it's 1959". It's been a long time coming.

Actually I have friends from around the country calling ticketmaster at noon CST time tomorrow. The servers in Chicago will be jammed while they are in California, Arizona, NY etc trying to get me tickets. I hope I can see them for one of the games. I must admit it may not be in the Sox interest that I go. I was at the Arizona game when my Wildcats gave up the 15 point lead to Illinois with a minute and a half left and I was at game one for the only loss the Sox had in the ALCS.

What's up with waiting till Saturday to play the World Series? [saiyan]

I think any High School baseball player should study Paul Konerko's swing. He is so quiet with his hands and body and then *BOOM* he explodes on it.

Matrix
18-10-2005, 00:00
Late reaction, but thanks, Whomp. :)

akots
18-10-2005, 00:59
it is pretty much hysterical here as well. I mean with Astros and tickets and there is only baseball on TV, nothing else. Today they'll actually have a giant screen on a building wall in downtown projecting the game so that those who want to watch it in a company, can enjoy it with about 300,000 other people. That is how many the expect to turn in there tonight. A big day of local restaurants and bars...

Matrix
18-10-2005, 02:14
I remember the entire school I was at watched the final of the club world championship of football/soccer in 1995, which Ajax (Dutch club) won. Screens on plaza's are rare though. People who want to watch in a public place go to pubs.

Whomp
18-10-2005, 02:34
The White Sox are a southside working man's team. People go to taverns for a shot and a beer. Celebrities have been turned back like John Cusack who is an admitted Chicago Cubs fan so no free tickets. Mayor Daley grew up in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago so he gets tix.

Tubby Rower
26-10-2005, 08:36
Sox won the longest game in World Series history. It ended a little after 2 am on the east coast.

one more game to fix before they break the losing streak ;)

Whomp
26-10-2005, 18:42
I am somewhat hungover today since that game went on so long last night. You can't stop drinking in the middle of a game. [drunks1]
Tomorrow I will likely require taking the day off with a "snow day" to recover if we win this thing tonight. It's been unbelieveable here in Chicago. The whole city is jacked up including some Cubs fans.

akots
26-10-2005, 18:48
So, Astros lost the third game?

Whomp
26-10-2005, 19:23
Yes the White Sox won again Akots. Tonight could finish it as the White Sox are up 3 games to 0.

In fact, a player the Astros used to have Geoff Blum hit a two out homer to give them the lead and then they added another run in the inning for good measure. It was the longest game in World Series history at 5 hours 41 minutes and 43 of the 50 players available were used in the game. I'm exhausted.

akots
26-10-2005, 19:36
You sound like you've played yourself. But man, these Astros suck apparently. Or your sox rock. Whatever, I don't care much indeed.

ProPain
26-10-2005, 20:04
I've seen the first 2 matches on dutch tv, or rather the summary as we dont get the entire matches. That 2nd was already a nailbiter imo, judging from your post the 3rd one brought even more suspense. Me sad we dont get live reports. Otoh, a live report would have meant skipping a nights sleep, something I really cant afford atm.

I very much hope the sox win, but with the current standings chances are slim they'll let this victory slide.

Darkness
26-10-2005, 20:26
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

I've seen the first 2 matches on dutch tv, or rather the summary as we dont get the entire matches. That 2nd was already a nailbiter imo, judging from your post the 3rd one brought even more suspense. Me sad we dont get live reports. Otoh, a live report would have meant skipping a nights sleep, something I really cant afford atm.

I very much hope the sox win, but with the current standings chances are slim they'll let this victory slide.

Actually, that depends on where you live in the Netherlands... :)
The Rotterdam region has got NASN on the cable at the moment (for the month october, as a trial). This channel only shows American sports (including live feeds of the world series in the middle of the night (or re-runs the day after)). Now baseball's boring (IMHO!!!!!), but they do show NFL games, and that is fun! :D

barbu1977
26-10-2005, 21:16
Well, since the game finished at 2 AM, you would have been able to se the end when you woke up :)

akots
26-10-2005, 21:22
quote:Originally posted by Darkness
... Now baseball's boring (IMHO!!!!!), but they do show NFL games, and that is fun! :D

Oh, baseball is extremely boring, the most boring. (imho)

NFL games might be not so bad if not for commercials and endless stops in the game. I've watched a few recorded games where you can wind through the annoying ads and stops and it is not that bad.

Whomp
26-10-2005, 21:55
[entering drunken idiocy]Baseball is the greatest sport ever conceived. It's a thinking man's game. There's no running out the clock. The game ends when someone scores more. Simple.

It's not like American football, boxing or basketball, which I love very much, where size matters.
This is not golf, an immensely difficult game, where the ball is put on a tee and you're guaranteed to hit it. This is a game where 70% failure is a highly successful hitter.

YOu guys like European football where a lead is everything and where a game can actually end up being tied. A game that is nearly impossible to recover from an early goal or two deficit. The White Sox came back after being down 4-0 against one of the best pitchers in baseball and scored 5 in one inning to take a lead. This wouldn't happen in your game. You'd figure out a way to slow the game down and play defensive. This I find immensely boring but hey what the heck it's good exercise for the youth of America.

Most of you have never played the game so you'd never understand what it feels like rip a baseball 400 feet to straight away center, make a play in the hole and throw a runner out at first, move a runner into scoring position or lay down a squeeze bunt.
This is a game where chemistry matters and having the best players does not guarantee success. You may not understand all this. I think it's the best game ever and as a casual observer you may find it boring and tedious( and you may tell me I'm fucked in the head on your favorite game football). I see it very differently.
[/exiting drunken idiocy]

Let's just say we'll garee to disgaree...my rant for the day....

romeothemonk
26-10-2005, 22:00
After having played football, I understand why all the stops are in there. By about the end of the first quarter you are dragging your hump around. Every little pause is amazing good for you. It is fun to play in below freezing weather and you can just watch and feel the steam roll off of your body.
Anyway, I hope Konerko hits about 3 dingers tonight. That way someone will overpay him to play for them, and then he won't kill the Twins every time they play.
Go Sox!!
Baseball is all about patience. I find it funny that Akots, a master of MM in civ3 can find baseball boring.

barbu1977
26-10-2005, 22:58
Let's just say baseball is something different. I totaly understand that people don't get the game, but come on! It's not a coincidence that millions of people play and watch that game.

One thing is sure, unlike other games you have to play it before being able to watch it. You then understand the excitement about turning in a double play, hiting a curveball, or event catching a fly.

ProPain
26-10-2005, 23:00
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

[entering drunken idiocy]Baseball is the greatest sport ever conceived.
Well dunno if it's the greatest, but one of the best for sure.

quote:YOu guys like European football where a lead is everything and where a game can actually end up being tied. A game that is nearly impossible to recover from an early goal or two deficit....... You'd figure out a way to slow the game down and play defensive. This I find immensely boring but hey what the heck it's good exercise for the youth of America.
It's not all Italian football that's played my friend. :) It's definitely possible to make up for an early 2 goal deficit and in the end baseball can be about a few or even 1 point difference as well. Do keep in my mind that a football match is much shorter in time than a baseball match. Never done the math but I wouldnt be surprised if the no of points/goal per hour wouldnt differentiate much.

quote:Most of you have never played the game so you'd never understand what it feels like rip a baseball 400 feet to straight away center, make a play in the hole and throw a runner out at first, move a runner into scoring position or lay down a squeeze bunt.....

Played it for years, love watching it, had a great time when the world cup was played in the Netherlands this year and we finally got some baseball on tv.

I also love watching football (and cycling, ice-skating, tennis and the occasional motorsports for that matter :D), the fact that you think thats boring maybe just means you dont fully appreciate it's intricacies like you do baseballs. So I;d say just give football a chance and you might even get hooked on another sport as well. Provided you watch a decent match of course so none of that US competition [:p]

[psv]

Matrix
26-10-2005, 23:27
Damn, the thread exists for some time, but everytime I see it's title I read "Go Sex Go". http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

Socrates
26-10-2005, 23:49
I concur that defensive football is played best by the Italians (I hate them ! :D ). Not possible to recover from a 2-0 ? The fact that it is not common makes it exciting, and when it happens everyone wets his pants. Thinking of 2004's France-England, when England was leading 1-0 a few minutes before the end of the match. Zidane decided it was silly, and scored twice in a row, making it 2-1 for France, when everyone wasn't expecting it anymore ! ;)

Anyway, the latest editions of the WC and the EC were a bit boring, but I'm betting that Germany 2006 will see the return of the big squads (nah, I didn't say France !). [cool]

ProPain
27-10-2005, 00:15
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Damn, the thread exists for some time, but everytime I see it's title I read "Go Sex Go". http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/twitch.gif

You're obviously a newlywed

Whomp
27-10-2005, 01:12
I would like to talk more about the intricacies of football. It will be fun to follow the World's Cup with you all so I can understand it better.

Gary G
27-10-2005, 17:38
Eight Popes, Fifteen Presidents and.... A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whomp
27-10-2005, 18:02
What a great team!! No players scored more than 100 runs and only Paul Konerko had 100 RBI's. GM Kenny Williams has constructed a team that has the potential for more to come. Their hottest pitcher Brandon McCarthy didn't even make the playoff roster. Ahhhh...World Champion Chicago White Sox. Wow....

Shoeless Joe Jackson R.I.P.

grahamiam
27-10-2005, 18:12
so, how hung over are you?

Whomp
27-10-2005, 19:58
I am struggling right now after many Jager bombs(jagermeister and red bull...yikes!). My voice is toast from singing stupid songs like "we are the champions", "Sweet Home Chicago", "don't stop believin'", the "nana nana hey hey good bye" song...so I rolled into the office a tad late today. My assistant took a personal day [hmm] and I am accomplishing nothing....and to think I get Civ4 soon. I'm in deep shit!

grahamiam
27-10-2005, 20:13
[lol] when the Phillies were in the WS in '93, my roomate and I got a couple of tickets for game 5. Since Schilling pitched a gem that game, we were in a particularly fiesty mood (and very drunk) so we decided to lead a whole subway car of strangers in songs on the way home [lol] I think I called in sick the next day as well [hmm]

killercane
27-10-2005, 21:56
Congrats Whomp. Shoeless Joe is smiling somewhere.

admiral kutzov
27-10-2005, 22:51
whomp do you need that bailbondsman? congrats. BTW, my delivery date is now 11/1