PDA

View Full Version : War in 1v1 games

ProPain
07-05-2003, 16:10
In 1v1 games I go to war sooner than in SP games

WildFire
07-05-2003, 16:16
If I have to, I go to war, if I don't have to, I try to avoid it but prepare for it anyway.

ProPain
07-05-2003, 16:17
I'm changing my strategy here. In SP I'd normally not declare war on a far away civ or join a far away war. In retrospect I've should have done this in my game against Kemal when I first met him.

prettyvacant
07-05-2003, 16:18
Depends on the particular game rather than whether it is 1 v 1 or not. Im up to 350 AD in peace with human (at war with AIs though) in a 1 v 1 game but in another where we were close together it was, dissapointingly in some ways, soon over.

anarres
07-05-2003, 18:23
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

I'm changing my strategy here. In SP I'd normally not declare war on a far away civ or join a far away war. In retrospect I've should have done this in my game against Kemal when I first met him.[rolleyes]

Me --> [sad][whipped] <--- ProPain

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200357182540_bootyshake.gif
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
I fart in your general direction!

Lt. Killer M
08-05-2003, 09:23
I ALWAYS attack the AIs right away, and the human player is only then an exception if he is too far away....

ProPain
08-05-2003, 09:55
quote:Anarres wrote
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200357182540_bootyshake.gif
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
I fart in your general direction!

:D[tank][tank][tank][tank] My minion armies are coming your way!

Kemal
08-05-2003, 10:16
I'm definitely going to war faster than in SP, and I have to say I find this aspect of MP games disappointing and consider it a result of not very well thought programming from Firaxis. In MP games, unfortunately even in my game against ProPain in a later stage of the game, it appears to be a rule of thumb to set up the AI against your other rival, thus creating a situation of almost continuous total war. This is largely due to the fact that in almost all situations, due to the incredibly low prices the AI asks for an alliance, the costs outweigh the gains for the player bribing the AI, as the victim civ loses trade opportunities and in some cases faces large AI armies, inhibiting early development.

This results in a situation where empire building only becomes a real possibility until after you've either eliminated or are in control of nearby AI threats. IMHO, it would have been more balancing if alliances could only be signed once in a given period (20 turns?) if the AI and victim civ are at peace when signing it, as to give players at least a little breathing space and forcing the bribing player to think twice about signing it at a given time.

prettyvacant
08-05-2003, 12:07
I know that it would change significantly the complexity of the game but one way round this would be to play at a lower level? ie then AIs are fairly useless as allies.

DrAlimentado
08-05-2003, 17:23
Another idea for preventing insane warmongering and early MA's would be to make it a later tech that enables MA's... what do you think? Maybe MA's could come with a middle age tech instead of ancient age?

ERIKK
08-05-2003, 21:23
It just thought that everybody (except Killer) goes to war quite later in the game than in normal SP games. Just to be on the save side (losing the war or a lagging war can mean losing the game to the human opponent).

Early war is only possible when the AI is very near to you. But our maps are made with in mind that the humans and AI's or nicely spread out...

Cartouche Bee
14-05-2003, 18:53
Making your opponent deviate off their normal game is the main reason for war. The other thing you can do is not use the chat, this makes it clear that your not going to be giving them any breaks or assisting in their survival.

[blush]

DrAlimentado
14-05-2003, 20:06
Or use chat to lie, confuse, and generally bamboozle your oppenent ;)

Skyfish
14-05-2003, 21:00
Sounds like what Col would do [lol]

Cartouche Bee
14-05-2003, 21:34
Hmmm, yes , you could take Col's game to game wipe the slate clean theory and apply it down to a turn by turn or statement by statement level to keep a clear conscious. :)

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2003, 12:28
CB: can I challange you to some 1 on 1 war then?

Cartouche Bee
15-05-2003, 17:21
No problem, Wildfire444 has offered to assist me in on a non ladder alliance match to get up to speed, and get past the ICQ hurdle.

Once that game is started and moving I'll sign up for the ladder. Will we be banned for hijacking the thread? Is there a better place for these types of black market transactions? :) I must admit it is very intimidating to see that almost everyone is a moderator. ;)

Too bad that Firaxis didn't make MP so you could start a game by direct IP and then convert it to a PBEM, when things get a bit more developed. Maybe in expansion pack 14. :)

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2003, 17:44
CB, ask anarres for a forum of your own and you will be a mod, too ;) promotions are a dime a dozen here [:p]

WildFire
15-05-2003, 21:06
quote:Originally posted by Cartouche Bee

Too bad that Firaxis didn't make MP so you could start a game by direct IP and then convert it to a PBEM, when things get a bit more developed. Maybe in expansion pack 14. :)

I thought you could convert mp games to PBEM's

Moff Jerjerrod
31-10-2003, 19:50
Tough question really. Depends on situation. Landmass (packed with big size 8+ cities) is the name of the game. In a MP game no problem picking on the computer ai. However against a human. Now there's where I wouldn't know what to do having never played against a human before.