PDA

View Full Version : Ladder?

Ginger_Ale
04-10-2005, 20:02
Will the ladder start over for Civ4? It would be cool to have standings and such ...

Even a simple W - L column would be nice. Or you could do something like everybody starts out with 2000 points, and for each win, you earn 10% of your current amount of points.

For example: 2000 points -> (win) to 2200 points -> (win) to 2420 -> (loss) to 2178

That way, the number of points you earn depends on your current ranking, so if you have tons of points, you earn more, but you would also lose more if you lose (ie; I lost more points with my 1st loss than I earned with my 1st win) ...

I bet someone else could come up with a better system - we wouldn't even need a website, just a thread could do. Can't wait for Civ4 MP. :)

akots
04-10-2005, 20:08
There is supposed to be a built-in MP ladder in Civ4. [confused] or so I thought. Of course, PAL already opened their own and it is quite possible to maintain a separate CDZ ladder like you have described. But, imho, we know each other rather well and there might be not much need to formalize things in terms of ladder. ;)

Beam
04-10-2005, 20:31
I fully garee with akots within the scope of Civ III where some people went off-limits for their position on the ladder. Don't see a reason however to see how Civ IV can facilitate in a ladder within the spirit of CDZ. Build in ladder, server based persistent multiplayer for example.

Ginger_Ale
04-10-2005, 21:54
akots, I thought there was a built in turn-based server (pitboss thing, iirc), not a ladder. Even so, who cares about all the newbs who haven't played before? I am thinking of a ladder with just CDZ guys (for pbems of course).

Why not just have a thread with standings where people report wins/losses?

Kemal
04-10-2005, 22:43
There were some very fruitful discussions on the ladder system back on CFC by the CDZ community, before CDZ itself was even started, and that system served its purpose well.

Once you've played each other some time though, you become aware of who is of your skill level and you don't need a ladder anymore for that. Furthermore, the ladder can lead to nasty things, as beam has mentioned already, so my personal opinion would be that, as a small community, we'd be better off without it.

Ginger_Ale
04-10-2005, 22:58
Ah, ok, I know what you are talking about. ("nasty things")

akots
04-10-2005, 23:03
quote:Originally posted by Ginger_Ale
... Why not just have a thread with standings where people report wins/losses?

Why not? Indeed it can be done imho. But lets wait for some time.

1) There are bugs anticipated in the game.
2) There are bugs anticipated in the mapmaking process.
3) There should be a considerable number of variations/mods to the game with very different outcomes and strategies.
4) The mapmaking itself is very vague. I've read some preview of the world builder and cannot tell anything about it. It seems you are not able to edit each and every tile in the game. Even if you can, we'd have to wait for Dr.A to construct maptweaker suitable for Civ4 apparently. Otherwise, mapmaking can be extremely tedious process.
5) If disregarding the above and playing on a random map, considerable number of games have to be played between the two opponents to ensure that random nature of the map does not influence the results too much.
6) There had been some trouble previously with people who were willing to get to a high place in CDZ ladder and were ready to do anything to get there. That is not fun.
7) We don't know is it possible to cheat in Civ4 against another human and how. That might be not connected to a bug but to game features. To put it short, we need some rules on how the MP game is played. Some "experimental" games would have to be played in order to construct these rules.
8) One can always go to PAL and try for a workout there. It is a nice place and great fun as well. Not that they have much of a rules. But indeed, there is less room for cheating in an online game.

These are just basic thoughts. Lets not rush blindly into an exciting new world of Civ4 with a ladder in hand storming the CDZ mountaintop. [lol]

Socrates
04-10-2005, 23:23
I personally don't care at all for a ladder here, ie. I wouldn't subscribe to any ladder anymore. This serves some purpose for fast games, but not for long PBEMs. I see CDZ as a nice place for games, and if we want to show our might, there is always the ISDG !!! [groucho] I keep my results in a personal thread, just as a legacy to my civving activity, nothing else. I don't lament on my failures all day long...

In one word : no Civ4 ladder for me.

CanuckSoldier
15-10-2005, 21:11
This is just a friendly invitation to join the next iteration of us Multiplayer Addicts. Civ4players is now open and excepting registrations. This ladder is run by the same staff as Civ3players(you might know us from our C3CISDG team PAL). CIV promises to make MP allot easier and stable than it was in Civ3, and it's been programmed into the game from day 1.

We not only play "real time" MP games but PBEM(and eventually Pitboss when it's added), we also support a system for long "Epic" games(played over multiple days).

CIV is just 10 days away in North America and not much longer in Europe and Austra/Asia, and we hope to provide the best community based friendly but competitive MP experience for teh Civ world.

Our Myleague web page: http://www.myleague.com/civ4players/
Our Forums: http://civ4players.proboards44.com/index.cgi

CS

Note: If this post violates your board ToS feel free to delete it

Matrix
15-10-2005, 23:21
The only thing I've always missed here at CDZ is a good view over what matches have been played. Who played against who how many times and who has won those games. It's not really a Hall of Fame I'm interested in, but I just like to know what's going on. :)

CanuckSoldier
16-10-2005, 07:09
Well Cases/Myleague isn't perfect, it does offer quite an extensive offering of statistics of games played on the ladder.

CS