PDA

View Full Version : CDZ Cup 7th Edition Discussions

Pages : [1] 2

Kemal
29-09-2005, 19:36
Now that most teams will probably be nearing the end of their national cup adventures, it's time again to start talking about that other and - it should go without saying - more important cup that takes place each season, the CDZ Cup: 7th Editon!

Last edition, there was a lot of fruitful debate on how exactly to arrange the competition, especially concerning the format the cup would use, and personally, I think that this resulted in a very enjoyable cup-run for all teams the previous season.

Now, there is of course little reason to reinvent the wheel for each edition of the cup, and taking advantage of the discussions that have taken place earlier is always a good idea. However, there should be room for participants to voice their ideas and possible additions to the cup which could (possibly) create a better cdz-cup experience (and no, banning fc suca will *not* be considered, before someone comes up with that ;)).

Therefore, feel free to submit or discuss any improvement in this topic, so that we still have enough time to possibly implement it and use it for the next edition already. :)

To sign up, please visit the Sign-up thread to be opened shortly. Anyone can join, regardless of team strength or previous cup experience.
____

Personally, I think the rules-set and format used last season were, despite my earlier reservations, a great improvement over the "fixed groups" method, most notably because it prevents the balancing not only to strength, but also to team nationality. The only thing that might needs some attention, imo, is the fact that the cup is ever-expanding [cheer], which has the negative effect of more walkovers occuring. I'm not sure how to easily mend this, but it is a fact that (un-announced, these are the problem, not the pre-announced of course) walkovers are created by a lack of communication between team managers.

Since not all Cup players are regulars at CDZ, I suppose it might be an idea to experiment with special topics at the federation forum as well, only for the specific purpose of reporting walkovers, to be updated each week, so that managers not used to cdz can report about their whereabouts there.
Of course, CDZ needs to be the main base of operations, so there won;t be scores, tables etc at the fed threads, but I think it might be useful to try.

Other than that, I'm all for 9 rounds (7 league/2 KO) and total random draw again, time to improve on that 3rd place!

akots
29-09-2005, 22:29
Well, walkovers can happen, not a big deal. I've barely managed to escape from a couple during the previous cup. But this time it won't be summer around with vacations and stuff, so might be there is less number of walkovers indeed.

And I'd fully support the idea to use the Federation thread at Hattrick at least to post the fixtures and some discussion. It is kinda dead, I mean the Federation, nothing is happening there. [sad]

Kemal
29-09-2005, 23:13
I suppose CDZ is more or less the Civ Players Fed's forum. :)

Still, posting stuff there too can never do harm, of course. But, not all players are supporter, so I think CDZ is still the preferred location for discussions etc.

akots
29-09-2005, 23:54
Certainly the CDZ is the main operation base. It might be a copy that goes to Federation forum. There are many people who don't have supporter (and me among them until two weeks ago ;) ) but there are also some Federation members who never show up here. May be it is a good idea to try to invite them for the cup as well. [confused]

Kemal
29-09-2005, 23:55
There already is an invitation up as we speak, it seems we had the same idea about that. :)

Kingreno
30-09-2005, 08:45
Unannounced WO's are terrible. If (for no acceptable reason like a hurricane or flood) a team just does not accept a challenge there should be some form of penalty. One of the strengths of the CDZ-cup is the certainty of a friendly, if that certatinty becomes less certain it would damage the cup.

Shabbaman
30-09-2005, 11:01
quote:Originally posted by akots

May be it is a good idea to try to invite them for the cup as well. [confused]

That's what I just thought as well. BTW, I'll create a cup manager membership type with some mod functions plus the newsletter option. Especially for those who'd like to ;)

yndy
03-10-2005, 21:04
Last season was great for the CDZ Cup, I really liked the format. I agree that we could have a space for discussions in the Hattrick space with CDZ as the main base of operations. Also, I know nto everyone is a Supporter. To this end I propose we try to borrow some space in a series conference. I will check with a moderator to see if we can open a dedicated Cup thread on a series conference in Hattrick.

Kemal
11-10-2005, 16:04
I already stated it as a fact in the CPF newsletter since I needed a cut-off date, but I'd like to propose to

close registration for the CDZ Cup at 20-10-05

, i.e. just before round 6 league games will be played.

Since the first Cup games will have to be scheduled after the friendly matches of week 6 are finished, this still gives us 5/6 days to discuss the exact format and make a draw.

Atm, with only 22 participants, the 3 groups of 8 format of last year is out of the question... there are however still 10 days to go so still plenty of time to sign up. :)

yndy
12-10-2005, 20:54
I second and I'll try to contact the remaining people that were invited.

Kemal
13-10-2005, 16:57
We're now at 24 teams, but since bed head has already expressed his interest in joining, and we all expect Schip to participate as well, it's time to start thinking about what format we are going to use to accomodate for more than 24 teams playing, with atm 26 being the most likely number of teams in the cup (though it could become more, for example a very strong contender from Estonia iirc expressed interest in the fed forum, but is likely still in the national cup at that time).

When aiming to start at the week 7 league rounds, we have 9 full rounds to play during which we want everyone to have a friendly to play each week. I also think we should aim at at least 2 KO rounds, but more might be possible.

Should we perhaps create a double league system, where teams play each other in smaller leagues at first to qualify for a group 2 round of league systems, where groups are ordered by having one half consisting of group 1 winners and runners up, and the other half of the 3rd and 4th placed teams that play for the bottom half of the places (with of course still the KO rounds at the end of the cup)?
That would at least make it somewhat easier to get everyone to play each other at least once in a given group, and still ensure some diversity concerning who you end up playing against (or so I hope, haven't exactly thought this out yet).

edit: to clarify a little, that would mean (for example!) create 8 groups of 4 teams at first to play 3 games, then create 8 more groups to play 3 times again, where groups 1/4 would be winners and 2nd placed teams, and groups 5/8 3rd and 4th placed teams from group rounds 1, then followed by 3 K.O. rounds to decide the final rankings.

We could of course also create groups of larger sizes, but that would mean each team would not be able to play all other teams in that group, while still being classified in that same group with those teams not played against. Not an ideal situation I personally think, which hopefully can be avoided.

Anyone with some brilliant solutions to all this is very welcome to post (outstanding ideas accepted as well, of course... ;))

Shabbaman
13-10-2005, 17:04
I have no idea, but I'd prefer not playing the same teams twice.

Kingreno
13-10-2005, 17:19
if we can get to 28 teams it's (a lot) easier.

bed_head7
13-10-2005, 21:51
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

We're now at 24 teams, but since bed head has already expressed his interest in joining,

Yes, as long as my joining doesn't make the planning more difficult. I was throwing myself out there so that figuring out a format would be easier, as I am happy going either way.

arne1
13-10-2005, 22:07
Since I am just a novice you will have to setle for a good idea.
With 26 teams I suggest you make 3 groups of 6 and 1 of 8. And start the knock out phase earlier for the groups of 6 and let the group of 8 "flow in" (pardon my poor English) later.
Let A be the groep of 8 and B, C and D the groups of 6. well the first 5 matches are obvious and the first seven for group A are also obvious. The numbers 1 and 2 and the two best numbers 3 qualify for the highest knock-out schedule. This would lead to something like this:
week 6:

B1 - C3 (= 1)
C1 - D3 (= 2)
D1 - B2 (= 3)
C2 - D2 (= 4)

D3 - B5 (= 5)
B4 - C5 (= 6)
C4 - D4 (= 7)

D5 - B6 (= 8)
C6 - D6 (= 9)
Week 7
winners:
W1 - W4 (E)
W2 - W3 (F)
loosers:
L1 - L4 (G)
L2 - L3 (H)
winners + closest looser (of matches 5, 6 and 7):
W5 - W7 (I)
W6 - L5 (J)
Loosers:
L6 - L7 (K)

W8 - W9 (L)
L8 - L9 (M)
week 8: (Group A of 8 flows in)
A1 - WE (10)
A2 - WF (11)
Loosers E and F, best winner G and H and A3
LE - A3 (12)
LF - WG (13)
Worst winner G and H, loosers G and H and A4
WH - A4 (14)
LG - LH (15)
Winners I and J, closest looser I and J and A5
WI - A5 (16)
WJ - LI (17)
Worst looser I and J, winner and looser K and A6
LJ - LK (18)
WK - A6 (19)
Winner and looser L, winner M and A7
WL - A7 (20)
LL - WM (21)
Dubble header looser M versus A8
LM - A8 (22)
Week 9:
Final:
W10 - W11

L10 - L11
W12 - W13
L12 - L13
W14 - W15
L14 - L15
W16 - W17
L16 - L17
W18 - W19
L18 - L19
W20 - W21
L20 - L21
and the dubble header:
W22 - L22

thei is only a possibility which can be shifted with. I always assumed the first match to have the best looser. But of course this could be different.
But as Kingreno stated allready 28 would be easier.

akots
13-10-2005, 22:34
I think we can try the Swiss system this time or may be next cup edition. It had been discussed previously and many people were willing to give it a go.

arne1
14-10-2005, 18:25
quote:Originally posted by akots

I think we can try the Swiss system this time or may be next cup edition. It had been discussed previously and many people were willing to give it a go.
The swiss system? Is that wer you play the team that is closest to to you in the ranking thtat you have not played yet?

Shabbaman
20-10-2005, 10:21

When aiming to start at the week 7 league rounds, we have 9 full rounds to play during which we want everyone to have a friendly to play each week.

So, for my reassurance, we're starting next wednesday?

Kemal
20-10-2005, 11:16
From next wednesday on, people will need to start arranging their matches yes, and in 13-14 days, the first round of the CDZ Cup will be played, after the 7th league round has taken place.

The fixture list should be available at sunday latest, if the amount of participants stays the same during this last day that registration is open, that is.

Shabbaman
20-10-2005, 12:09
Ok, so no cup coming wednesday. Perhaps it's a good idea to release a newsletter with this news in bold text, for those incompetent like me ;)

Kemal
20-10-2005, 12:45
I was planning to send another newsletter actually, but since today registration closes, I thought it useful to be able to include the final participant list, or a link to that list, as well. Maybe I'll just close registration a few hours earlier then...

socralynnek
20-10-2005, 17:59
What do we do then?
My proposal:
8 groups of 4 teams.
2 of each group go to the "winners round" where there are 4 groups of 4 teams.
Best 2 of each group go to the quarterfinal.
Same for 9-16 and 17-32

Then we have 9 games, with 3 KO games and the strength of the ones playing in the second league stage is about the same level.

arne1
20-10-2005, 18:53
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

What do we do then?
My proposal:
8 groups of 4 teams.
2 of each group go to the "winners round" where there are 4 groups of 4 teams.
Best 2 of each group go to the quarterfinal.
Same for 9-16 and 17-32

Then we have 9 games, with 3 KO games and the strength of the ones playing in the second league stage is about the same level.

That would give ten games (7 league + 3 KO). So I guess We make a winners only poule.

Kemal
20-10-2005, 19:21
Are you sure that would give 10 games arne? Seems to me it would indeed be 3+3+3 = 9 games...

However, I thought it would be most simple to just do as KR said in the sign-up thread, create 4 groups of 8, let them play 7 games in a group and have the numbers 1 advance to the semifinals to play for the title (so 7 league and 2 KO rounds).

Or would that be too unfair for the group FC Suca is drawn in? ;)

Kingreno
20-10-2005, 19:52
Hmm, I think the 4 groups of 8 gives smaller teams a better chance to reach the last 4.

Kemal
21-10-2005, 10:05
Ok, registration is now closed making the 32 teams a certainty which we will have to base the draw on.

It seems to me both the 4x8 and 8x4x2 group stages look good, but I'd personally lean towards the more simple 4x8, especially since this time around we will be working with a record breaking amount of 32 teams, and some of those rarely visit these fora, making it difficult for them to follow these discussions and find out who they play if the fixture list isn't made available for long term, which would thus increase the chance of dreaded WOs occuring.

Sinc the draw will be completely random, there is no preparation or anything required to hold it, so basically, it could be held as soon as this evening.... anyone want to follow the proceedings live again?

yndy
21-10-2005, 17:23
I'm going out tonight but will be back by 21 CET so I could watch between 21-22 CET. Oh and I support 4 groups of 8 for the reasons stated by Kemal.

arne1
21-10-2005, 20:39

Are you sure that would give 10 games arne? Seems to me it would indeed be 3+3+3 = 9 games...

However, I thought it would be most simple to just do as KR said in the sign-up thread, create 4 groups of 8, let them play 7 games in a group and have the numbers 1 advance to the semifinals to play for the title (so 7 league and 2 KO rounds).

Or would that be too unfair for the group FC Suca is drawn in? ;)

I now see I am making assumptions instead of actually reading what is written. I was thinking about the setup you now suggest.

arne1
21-10-2005, 20:44
quote:Originally posted by yndy

I'm going out tonight but will be back by 21 CET so I could watch between 21-22 CET. Oh and I support 4 groups of 8 for the reasons stated by Kemal.

21.00 is good for me too.

Kemal
21-10-2005, 21:05
In that case, I will start the draw at 21:15 CET.

Starting the draw now....

arne1
21-10-2005, 21:28

In that case, I will start the draw at 21:15 CET.

Starting the draw now....

I would just put them in the correct place. No harm done is there?

Kemal
21-10-2005, 21:30
No harm indeed, but it is not exactly a clean procedure of course. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll reallocate unless other people object within a few mins. :)

Kemal
21-10-2005, 21:52
[cry] [cry] [cry]

Snaken can forget about any hopes of reaching the semis... what a horror poule.

Any other people feeling they got a nasty group?

ProPain
21-10-2005, 21:55
PP SV, Crvena Zvezda Strijp and Eindhoven Energy: Lots of Eindhoven teams.

At least I'll have my rematch against Bas and of classic against Steph. Only thing missing is the office grudge match. How about next wednesday Swingue????

yndy
21-10-2005, 22:05
Group D is a killer group. I wonder if the Group winner will get the Cup?

arne1
21-10-2005, 22:11
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

PP SV, Crvena Zvezda Strijp and Eindhoven Energy: Lots of Eindhoven teams.

I as a Philips Nijmegen Employee will try to prove Nijmegen Is Way superior!

and probably fail in the attempt[tvs]

Kemal
21-10-2005, 22:12
Group D is P*A*I*N*, pure and simple... next time we will use a seedings system again!! [mad]

;)

akots
21-10-2005, 22:19

Group D is a killer group. ...

It certainly is. [lol] since I'm not in there.

But it was all random, so no complaint here. ;)

bed_head7
21-10-2005, 22:22
Hm, there goes my chance of winning a game.

arne1
21-10-2005, 22:31
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

You can still win a game in the Ko stages:D

Kemal
21-10-2005, 22:32
Btw, I just noticed I got 7 out of 7 international friendlies in the group stages... and that for a Dutch team!

Kingreno
21-10-2005, 23:07
Group D is not a killer group at all. IMO Suca has an easy 7 wins there.:D

Kemal
21-10-2005, 23:16
[rant]

You just wait and see how easy Suca will have it in this group![hammer]

arne1
21-10-2005, 23:30

[rant]

You just wait and see how easy Suca will have it in this group![hammer]

Actions will speak louder than words. When is the fixtures list coming?

arne1
22-10-2005, 00:18

Group D is P*A*I*N*, pure and simple... next time we will use a seedings system again!! [mad]

;)

Is it just me or is group A the weakest? It seems like against most people I could play a real match.

edit: poor english

Kemal
22-10-2005, 00:48
Not sure when the fixtures will be there, the league planner program I wanted to use for it fails me, it seems (or rather silly me can't get it to operate the way I want it to [blush2]).

If someone knows a quick way to fix this, that would be most appreciated. In any case, the fixtures list should be here this weekend.

arne1
22-10-2005, 01:50

Not sure when the fixtures will be there, the league planner program I wanted to use for it fails me, it seems (or rather silly me can't get it to operate the way I want it to [blush2]).

If someone knows a quick way to fix this, that would be most appreciated. In any case, the fixtures list should be here this weekend.

You could of course just use the regular hattrick fixtures. Although i do not know whta they are except they start with 1-2, 3-4, 5-6,7-8.

Bootstoots
22-10-2005, 05:17
How exactly are we going to get done before the end of the season? If this lasts for 10 rounds (7 group rounds, 3 elimination), and we start at cup week 8, we'll end up at 17 (!). I think we'll have to either restructure the cup or accept that it'll stretch for two seasons (but maybe this has been addressed earlier and I didn't see it).

Btw, it looks like I'll be killed in Group D, with the current state of my B-team. I look forward to it. ;)

Kemal
22-10-2005, 12:16
Fixture list is up, please check on any mistakes.

I used a cup planner program for it, so it is totally randomized as to who has 3 and who has 4 home games in the league stages.

@Boots: we will only play half a league in the group stages, so 7 games total, then finish with 2 KO rounds.

Elsaak
24-10-2005, 13:29
hello every body !
because I'm also a flag chaser, would it be possible for me to turn my game with "Katanga Resistance", I'm looking for the portuguese flag ?
I saw he has already 4 games at home and only 3 outside, so I prefer asking if there is a problem with it...

ciuly
24-10-2005, 17:14
Group D seems ok :D. Also, playing home against Codrutul (btw, it's Codrutul Doicesti not Dociesti) makes my job easier.

Kemal
24-10-2005, 17:32
Fixed, I suppose Romanian isn't my strongest language. :) (Assuming Doicesti translates to something, that is).

yndy
25-10-2005, 07:23
It's the name of a place. I'm looking forward for Wednesday to see if Yanche gets kicked out of the Cupa Romaniei. She's playing the Cup Winner from 2 seasons ago.

Anyway, i'm toast in my Group. But I would have been in any group. ;)

English_brit
26-10-2005, 15:48
Excuse my ignorance but what week is the Cup starting?

Shabbaman
26-10-2005, 15:56
Next week!

yndy
26-10-2005, 16:23
Donald Kipper you earned your right to play any team next week, Codrutul is doing miracles and is still in Cupa Romaniei.

@everyone, you can join my series conference to have quick links to the teams you are going to play with, also to the matches when they will be arranged from tomorrow on.

barbu1977
26-10-2005, 16:45

@everyone, you can join my series conference to have quick links to the teams you are going to play with, also to the matches when they will be arranged from tomorrow on.

what is the name of the conference?
Is it in romania?

Kemal
26-10-2005, 16:50
The cup starts next week, so the next match you will arrange should be the 1st group matches as noted down in the fixture list.

edit: hmm, that was a reply to EB, I forgot I had this window opened for quite some time already. [blush]

yndy
26-10-2005, 16:59
barbu, go to my team, select the series I'm playing in (V.43), then choose 'Series Conference' and you're there.

English_brit
26-10-2005, 18:17
Thanks for the information you two. :)

barbu1977
27-10-2005, 16:05
NewB questions:

In the fixtures, is it
HOME - AWAY ?
or
AWAY - HOME ?

And do we select cup rules or normal rules? I guess normal rules since it's the preliminaries.

Kemal
27-10-2005, 17:26
It should be Home - Away, and normal rules indeed.

Schip
29-10-2005, 08:55
Hi all, just checking in. Didn't have much time lately to visit these fora, but things should improve know. I'm looking forward playing the Cup but will impose a personal vendetta to anyone harming my much to expensive trainee! Nevertheless, good luck and have fun!

yndy
31-10-2005, 11:26
Pluxxx has probably not responded to socralynnek challenge. Any of you, let us know how are you doing. You're the only ones that have not arranged the match already.

socralynnek
01-11-2005, 00:33
Pluxx has accepted today, so I report: No walkover (except for some people still playing in the national cup) this round!

Kemal
02-11-2005, 12:15
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

Well, you will win one game 5-0 at least, as Codrutul Doicesti seems to be pulling off the impossible and has managed to reach yet another round of the national Cup, creating yet another 5-0 WO in the CDZ Cup.

Congrats to Yanche of course for this remarkable achievement!

tofra
02-11-2005, 12:30
Result of Chimica Târnãveni - FC ToFra was 2-4

Kemal
02-11-2005, 17:27

You're the only ones that have not arranged the match already.

Are you sure? I seem to be missing the Dynamo Morpork - Yellow Boots game, I've got no idea what to do with the result now.. [sad]

Kingreno
02-11-2005, 17:45
Hmm...I don't know what to do with that result either. I'd say 0-0 with no points each? Or did either try challenging the other?

Melifluous
02-11-2005, 17:52
Currenly pwning <s>Crx, Crven.. aww sod it</s> Stephko 0-4 after 16 mins :)

Melifluous

Kemal
02-11-2005, 17:55
Currently pwning FC Suca 1-1 after 24 mins....

Hey, we are talking FC Suca here after all! ;)

Kingreno
02-11-2005, 17:55
that's 5-0 you <s>ill...illuter...uliitert</s> fool.

Kemal
02-11-2005, 17:56
This fool could only wish it was 5-0, kr....

[:p]

Kingreno
02-11-2005, 18:00
This "fool" is beating Suca 2-1 ATM!??[:o]

My ladies are welcoming Boergaik to the CDZcup in the tradi way: 2-0 and climbing.

ciuly
02-11-2005, 18:41
Well, it seems the day has come. 4-1 for FC De Snaken and the game isn't over. Congrats for Jilkocfc, guess he made some guys here happy. :)

socralynnek
02-11-2005, 18:54
Don't say that too early... I only believe in Suca losing when the match is really over.

Kingreno
02-11-2005, 19:04
4-3 and everything is in the open!!

Kingreno
4-4! what a match...

arne1

Don't say that too early... I only believe in Suca losing when the match is really over.
4-3 and ten to go, can still go to 4-5.
edit
and there it is the equalizer

Kemal
02-11-2005, 19:06
Too bad the Suca players seem to have more faith in their abilities than the Suca manager himself. [cry] ;)

Just wait until you see the match ratings, it is a miracle already that the game is as close as it is now.

Kemal
02-11-2005, 19:13
Btw, anyone noticed PP SV's star midfielder Fabian makes another trip to hospital again? Hopefully it is not too bad....

ciuly
02-11-2005, 19:21
Great game, and nice recovery from my team. I didn't think they could do it ( but was hopping [:P]). Nice trick with the offensive CD's, I was very close to being defeated. Well, this is the second match that ends equal since I play in the CDZ cup. Still, no defeats. :D

socralynnek
02-11-2005, 19:24
Maybe without AIM you would have won Kemal...your wing defense was very bad and you got three goals that way (and still you could have scored 4 without AIM)...But a 4-4 vs Suca is surely more than you hoped for...

Mistfit
02-11-2005, 19:27
Tied match between de burchtheren and I. BTW I missed 2 Set Pieces scoring chances with my excellent set piece guy :(

He will be flogged upon his return to the states

[mistfit]

Kemal
02-11-2005, 19:37
@socralynnek: Well, all my goals came via the middle, so the AIM had its positive sides as well it seems. Also, since my defense was already so weak because of playing with only 1 defender (a left wingback), the penalty from AIM was small to start with, and a sublevel more in that area probably wouldn't have helped me against Suca's strong attack (or so was my reasoning, at least).

All in all, a lucky draw for me, but it shows that other teams don't need to despair, Suca can be beaten I'm sure. :)

Kemal
02-11-2005, 19:39
@ciuly: it seems your players were hopping past my offensive CDs! :)

Good game indeed, just wait until we meet again in the final...[mischief]

arne1
02-11-2005, 19:49
quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

Tied match between de burchtheren and I. BTW I missed 2 Set Pieces scoring chances with my excellent set piece guy :(

He will be flogged upon his return to the states

[mistfit]
And that against a passable goalkeeper. He should have scored the penalty at least.

Bootstoots
03-11-2005, 03:24

You're the only ones that have not arranged the match already.

Are you sure? I seem to be missing the Dynamo Morpork - Yellow Boots game, I've got no idea what to do with the result now.. [sad]
Oops! I thought the CDZ cup started next week. I arranged a friendly with another team. However, this did occur two days after it was possible to book friendlies, and I hadn't received a challenge from him either, nor did he note anything here. It's possible that we both forgot. If that happened, I'd say 0-0 with no points awarded would make sense. If he remembered, saw I had booked another friendly, and booked another one because of that, he should get a 5-0 walkover win.

My apologies for forgetting, by the way. [blush]

yndy
03-11-2005, 06:41
Actually, Hakon booked another friendly in the first day last week and I told him that he had WOed the game. I thought Bootstoots noticed that and arranged another friendly. So it should be 5-0 for Bootstoots normally.

ProPain
03-11-2005, 14:29

Btw, anyone noticed PP SV's star midfielder Fabian makes another trip to hospital again? Hopefully it is not too bad....

Just a 1 week injury with a WO match this weekend anyway. Those extra fysios are paying off big time. Contemplating to take on a few more even. Won the 1st match, nice inadequate midfield, 1st time for an away match.

Kemal
03-11-2005, 18:46
I've received a comment from Dynamo Morpork on the situation and he explained that he, like bootstoots, forgot the cup started this week already. Since both bootstoots and Hakon seem to have done the exact same thing, I don't think it would be fair to punish one more than the other simply because Dynamo Morpork arranged his friendly earlier.

Finally, since Codrutul also was forced to give away a WO, not giving 5-0 defeats to Yellow Boots and Dynamo Morpork would I think cause unfair competition to Codrutul with regard to goal difference.

Therefore, I've processed the game as a 5-0 loss for both teams. If this is deemed unfair I urge all members that feel that way to speak up, as of course by no means am I the sole person to decide on this.

However, as both the clubs involved independantly asked for a penalty on their team due to forgetting the Cup started, this seemed to be the most honest solution to me..

edit: to both teams: forgetting a cup tie can happen of course, no sweat. Now, you just have to make sure you make up the lost ground by beating FC Suca 5-0. ;)

Bootstoots
05-11-2005, 02:19
That seems fair to me, and I'm willing to accept that outcome. I agree that we both should suffer the same punishment despite the time lapse, as we did the same thing. Now I just hope that I femember all future cup matches. As for Suca...the goal will be to make the scoreline such that I wouldn't be better off forgetting about the match. ;)

ciuly
06-11-2005, 14:54
Since I made a stupid mistake and played 2-6-2 in the league game, I'm going to play a special formation in this CDZ cup match, since the training is already lost this week. I'll play 0-5-5 with 2 wingers as FTW and 3 extra forwards. It should be fun, and I hope to compensate the midfield loss using my best inners. I'll also play creative. What do you think the outcome will be?

socralynnek
07-11-2005, 16:01
I think you will win higher than normal (if that's even possible) because you don't need defense anyway, so instead of winning 5-0 you would win 8-1 so I think, but we'll see.

Dell19
07-11-2005, 22:40
He could lose unless his captain has plenty of experience.

Kemal
08-11-2005, 21:47
[cry]

My most expensive trainee has just been sent en route to an English hospital, after being assaulted by the evil Disciples of Kipper...

The horror, the horror...

arne1
08-11-2005, 22:18

[cry]

My most expensive trainee has just been sent en route to an English hospital, after being assaulted by the evil Disciples of Kipper...

The horror, the horror...

poor you, I am on the contrary still pretty happy in England. 0-0 against Meli with halve an hour to go. I hope I can keep it up.

arne1
08-11-2005, 22:42
Will it happen with only 4 minutes to go? probably not

Melifluous
08-11-2005, 22:47
Many many many congrats on your 0-0!!

You fuckin rock!

Didnt expect that at all...

Melifluous

arne1
08-11-2005, 22:51
It did happen!!!!!! And the match engine was screwing someone and it wasn't me. It was what i was hoping for. I strengthened my midfield and discarted wing attack . This to eliminate as many of his chances as possible and played 'pressure' to take away a few more. This with heaps of good fortune gave me the draw I hoped for.

arne1
08-11-2005, 22:51
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Many many many congrats on your 0-0!!

You fuckin rock!

Didnt expect that at all...

Melifluous

Neither did I.

Kemal
08-11-2005, 23:12
Congrats to burchtheren, well done!

My trainee is out for 3 weeks... [sulk]

socralynnek
09-11-2005, 08:38
Wow, arne, two chances pressed away with poor rating, that's something I have never seen before...so we'll see soon what Sucas strange tactic will do...

ciuly
09-11-2005, 10:50
Well, my tactic seems to hold for now, even with the confussion. I'm a little bit disapointed that I didn't get any SE from the creative tactic.

Kemal
09-11-2005, 12:27
While it is true you didn't get any SE from your tactic, the fact that you got 10 out of 10 chances in a game where possession was split 57/43 and 62/38 I would find not disappointing at all! :)

socralynnek
09-11-2005, 13:04
The posession you see in the report is at min 45 and at min 90, so due to irritation the value had been higher throughout the other minutes, but nevertheless 10 out of 10 is very lucky.

Shabbaman
09-11-2005, 19:37
Easy 6-0 win for Shabba FC. Pugwash made a decent guess where my abandoned wing would be. But despite his solid wing attack there he didn't create a single chance. One injured player for him unfortunately, sorry about that.

Darth Pugwash
09-11-2005, 20:59
Indeed, a trainee out for 3 weeks!

Kemal
09-11-2005, 21:02
Welcome to the club Pugwash... :(

arne1
09-11-2005, 21:49
Kemal, there is a small error int the standings in group A, FC Tofra is listed as having a goal differnce of +4 where it should be -4. So Fc Tofra and Eindhoven Energy should be swopped.

Kemal
09-11-2005, 21:53
Thanks, fixed now!

ProPain
10-11-2005, 00:02
Beat Stephko 7-2, got inadequate (high) midfield and the best: NO ONE GOT INJURED [party]

Melifluous
10-11-2005, 11:27
Noticed that in Group A both me and Mistfit have 4 points and the same goal difference but Misty has scored more goals.

Made him 2nd and me 3rd as a result, have changed it already.

Melifluous

Swingue
10-11-2005, 11:28
2-3 victory against holly's eleven, not bad at all, seems the rpg gods are with me this time

ProPain
10-11-2005, 12:41
quote:Originally posted by Swingue

2-3 victory against holly's eleven, not bad at all, seems the rpg gods are with me this time

the role-playing-game gods???? Your WoW addiction is doing strange things with your mind!

Melifluous
10-11-2005, 13:16
WoW?

Which server?

Melifluous

Kingreno
10-11-2005, 14:01

I think he meant Rocket-propelled-grenade gods.

ProPain
10-11-2005, 14:26

WoW?

Which server?

Melifluous

Azjul Nerub or something is the one we both play on. That being said": I havent logged in for 2 months

look for :
Nesda (my main lvl45 UD Warlock)
Magje (my alt lvl 25(??) Trol Mage)

I have a few high teens alts as well dunno their names any more [blush]

Swingue's main : Slim (lvl45 gnome mage (fem))

Melifluous
10-11-2005, 14:44
No way.

I been playing on Agamaggan. (DONT JOIN ME! SPANISH SERVER!!)

Melifluous lvl45 Dwarf Priest (fem)
Mellifluous lvl22 gnome Warrior (fem)
Bacchus lvl25 night elf druid (fem)

Melifluous

PS. Sorry Kemal for the minor ThreadJack. Have duly started a new thread here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3217)

Mistfit
10-11-2005, 14:58
erm... yndy

What happened here?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Mistfit/20051110145844_dom.jpg

English_brit
10-11-2005, 17:38
I ended up winning 4-1 against Grasshoppers. I was a little tense going in at half time leading 2-1 but luckily my team kicked in to gear a bit more in the second half.

I'm happy with the result. I think Grasshoppers is one of the best teams in my division so it was a good victory. I was lucky to be drawn at home for this game.

Swingue
10-11-2005, 22:50
Swingue's main : Slim (lvl45 gnome mage (fem))

since I don't have a kid, i do play sometimes, it is a lvl49 gnome mag (fem).

[rolleyes]hmmm, rpg gods, hmmmmm
anyways, the dice were nice to me

socralynnek
11-11-2005, 16:09

erm... yndy

What happened here?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Mistfit/20051110145844_dom.jpg

I guess yndy did some crosspassing training or not?

yndy
13-11-2005, 20:22
I'm working on my 5-3-2 formation experience. Just that I forgot to set the CA tactic with you. :)

Mistfit
13-11-2005, 20:31
I appreciate it :D

akots
21-11-2005, 03:32
Shabba!!!! Accept the friendly please!!!!

arne1
23-11-2005, 22:56
I hoped to pull off another miracle against PP SV, but no chance really. Propain thanks for the extra training though, I can always use it (one trainee +1)

ProPain
23-11-2005, 23:02
Quite impressed with your team actually Arne, easily good enough for 7th division.

I think you'll see some more championship icons in your screen pretty soon.

arne1
23-11-2005, 23:19

Quite impressed with your team actually Arne, easily good enough for 7th division.

I think you'll see some more championship icons in your screen pretty soon.

Thanks for the compliment. By the time I get to 7th division things might be a lot different though. I expect to get two of those icons the coming 20 weeks, but of course it depends on the league I will get into next season, but IXth divisin generally sucks.

bed_head7
24-11-2005, 01:47
I am actually winning a match! Quite a surprise when I logged in to see that I was leading 2-0, and even more of a shock to see another goal just a minute later. Of course, with 51% possession, and midfielders that I bought very cheap (~$5000 each for high passable 17yo, who are now well on their way to excellent) because of wretched-weak stamina, ball possession in the next half probably won't be in my favor.

ProPain
24-11-2005, 08:13
quote:Originally posted by arne1
[brThanks for the compliment. By the time I get to 7th division things might be a lot different though. I expect to get two of those icons the coming 20 weeks, but of course it depends on the league I will get into next season, but IXth divisin generally sucks.

7th in general is still pretty weak but the difference between the 7th divisions leagues can be very big. My 1st 7th div. league was quite a bit stronger then my current one. My guess is you would be no1 contender for the championship in my 7th div league should you have played there instead of me, my division is now ranked around 750th place.

I dont expect things will change much the next year. Although in general the level of teams should increase I still see a teams being abandoned in the 7th, my league has 3 WO teams for example. All those walkover/bot teams weaken the division again. And obviously your team will evolve as well during the next 2.5 seasons!

So I would worry to much.

Kemal
24-11-2005, 11:41
Pretty quiet playday in the CDZ Cup, not that much changes in the tables. Most notable event must have been the 3-3 draw between CZS and Chimica.... CZS having 90% possession throughout the game against a wretched/poor/poor defense, and ending up 3-3. Well done to yndy though on the counterattack.

yndy
24-11-2005, 17:43
It's hard to count how many defeats in a row I had in the CDZ Cup. I dedicate this point to all my fans around the globe. I have to admit I was pretty lucky, with 2CA goals and one long shot event. I'm wondering how the CA works, my gut feeling is that the chances of a CA from a failed chance are depending on the CA ability vs, the average ratings of the oposing teams.

Oh and again sorry about the injury Stephko.

Mistfit
25-11-2005, 05:14
I figure the marauders riegn of terror is about to come crashing down....

I play the dreaded Master of Pain next week. Well it has been fun whilst it lasted [mistfit]

Shabbaman
30-11-2005, 06:59
Shabba FC beats Geezers 0-6, highlight of the match a goal by Shabba's own clown Danile de Avila [:o)]

Kemal
30-11-2005, 18:11
Bleh... I was 1-0 up vs Morpork playing without a goalie, but now I whacked a 33 year old and some 20+K TSI fellow has come on. We'll see what happens now, but it doesn't bode well for Snaken...

Kemal
30-11-2005, 18:37
3-1 and 66% possession, things look a lot better suddenly!

But not what was expected vs a team like Morpork I have to admit. [hmm]

Kingreno
30-11-2005, 19:36
Beat Acorozado (rightfully!!! Muhahahahha) 0-1. Lost a trainnee though, 2 weeks, hope that turns to bruised but training before friday...

Bootstoots
01-12-2005, 00:13
I beat Disciples of Kipper 8-0, with 7 goals (including 2 SE's) coming in the second half. I guess this approaches making up for my 9-0 loss against Codrutul a couple of weeks ago.

ProPain
01-12-2005, 08:26
a draw against Mistfit. Once again Fabian had to leave the field injured, Nothing random about that it seems. Out for two weeks, normally he's back up his feet again in 1 week, hope the same happens this time.

This sucks.

ProPain
01-12-2005, 08:34
Just wondering/checking: all first finishers in pools play for 1-4 position, all second finishers for 5-8 and so on?

socralynnek
01-12-2005, 09:50
Lost 2-1 vs Katanga.
My TS is very bad as I MOTSed on Saturday and the leadership of my coach has fallen on monday.
And my trainee with the best future is injured for 3 weeks(Calculated I can't get him to play next week with 10docs)
So my midfield was bad...
But the next weeks, you will see a lot of players from my A-Team in the cup...

Mistfit
01-12-2005, 14:26
heh... pulled that one outta my arse :D

sorry bout the injury.. I told my guys to take it easy on him. Must be a thin wristed girly man

yndy
01-12-2005, 15:35

Just wondering/checking: all first finishers in pools play for 1-4 position, all second finishers for 5-8 and so on?

That is correct, yes

arne1
01-12-2005, 23:04

heh... pulled that one outta my arse :D

Shit, I was planning to come in third, seems impossible after your draw against PP SV. Or very surprising things must be in the pipeline for teh coming two rounds

English_brit
02-12-2005, 01:50
Thanks King, that result helped me a lot. I appreciate it. lol

Nice win. :)

Dell19
06-12-2005, 22:49
I didn't exactly dominate the game but losing 1-4 seems a little harsh. Oh well only a friendly.

Kemal
06-12-2005, 22:56
[cry] [cry] [cry]

NOOOOO!!!!!

In the 90th minute a very unfortunate collision in the home team's penalty area led to Snaken's Klemen Snoj being carried off the pitch and replaced by Vittorio Trevelin.

[cry] [cry] [cry]

Just noticed this while the game already ended... this is gonna cost me about 500K or so as Snoj is out for 5, and I can no longer afford to train him to magnificent, since I'm going to sell my trainees at the start of next season, and he needed 5 weeks still to pop. [cry]

Since all other will more or less pop at the same time (Klemen should have too, he is brilliant +3 now), I'm not going to train 3 extra weeks for him to pop as well.

8 PHYSIOS I'm paying 1500 a week and 2 of my strikers got multiple week injuries this season!!! [mad]

Bleh.

Dell19
06-12-2005, 23:02
So a match we would both had rather not happened? The only vaguely good point for me is that I didn't lose another player after the debacle on sunday that saw me lose my two best midfielders. One should be healed for sunday and the other I have partially replaced by buying a magnificent PM for £1.38 million

Kemal
06-12-2005, 23:09
Well, at least PSV made the final 16 in the CL... some consolation at least.

My win seems totally undeserved indeed, btw.

socralynnek
07-12-2005, 10:30
My injured player yesterday is at bruised, but training, so hal a spot of training extra for me...

Oh, won 3-1 vs Elsaak with my A-Team (played vs a WO at the weekend).
So, I'm still hoping to make it to the final 16 in this cup...

Kemal
07-12-2005, 12:40
Yanche almost managed the impossible in the clash of the titans today, but again FC suca was able to avoid defeat, drawing the game 1-1. Take a look at these ratings, the CDZ Cup really is starting to mature it seems, this is not to be scoffed at for a would-be friendly match:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Kemal/200512712300_codrusuca.jpg
18.96KB

This result means that, if yellow boots beats Dented slides at home tonight, Suca needs a win in the last game vs boots to be 100 %sure to reach the finals. If suca drops points vs yellow boots, Snaken could leapfrog them if they beat Codrutul at home [rolleyes], or Yellow Boots could jump from 3rd to 1st if Snaken lose vs codrutul and they beat Suca. [crazyeye]

ciuly
07-12-2005, 13:51
I think I'll get in the final :D, even with this second draw. I knew it would be a hard match against Codrutul, since she had a WO in the league game. But fortunantly my WOC TS helped me out, even with a WC inner injured.

PS. However, in the final it's gonna be hard for me, since I want to promote and I'm going for a MOS in the qualification match.

Kemal
07-12-2005, 17:11
Tss, I smell an overconfidence event here... ;)

[cheerl] Go Boots, Go Boots [cheerl]

Kemal
07-12-2005, 18:04
Btw, just noticed Shabba FC v Barbiers has transformed into Barbiers v Shabba... was that an incident or on purpose?

Darth Pugwash
07-12-2005, 19:20
Is there a typo in here somewhere?

Group B--- P W D L GF GA GD P
Shabba FC 5 3 0 2 18 19 8 9

Shabba's goal difference isn't correct - is that 9 meant to be a 0?

[???]

Edit: Grrr, damn thing won't line up properly!

Edit again: Yes, I have just counted up Shabba's GD, that 9 should be a 0 I think. :)

barbu1977
07-12-2005, 19:29

Btw, just noticed Shabba FC v Barbiers has transformed into Barbiers v Shabba... was that an incident or on purpose?

Shabba wanted to see the great white north.

Also Barbier's fans will be delighted to se a team of that caliber.

Kemal
07-12-2005, 20:37
@Barbu: ok just wondering. :)

@Pugwash: Thanks very much! Tables updated and corrected.

@all: please do check your entries in the tables, unfortunately from time to time a mistake slips through.. :(

Btw, talking about tables, congrats to The Blue Boys FC for being the first to ensure a semifinal ticket!
Group A, B and D (despite ciuly's confidence) are far from decided yet, in group A PP SV and Meli's Manglers meet in the final group match, and PP SV currently leads on amount of goals scored, since both points and goal difference are equal, how close can it get! [eek]

Means Meli's must win next week to progress, while also playing away vs PP's Magni midfielders (unless they are in sickbay ;)). Will be an interesting one to watch I think...

Group B sees Swingstars with a good chance, so that might motivate PP even more to get through... imagine an 100% cqp-office battle as the final!

As for Group D, I'll just repeat once more:

[cheerl]Go Boots Go Boots [cheerl]

Also interesting to see that the team with the best goal difference has also dropped the most points already, as far as current group leaders go. [crazyeye]

akots
07-12-2005, 21:35
... Group B sees Swingstars with a good chance ...

Chemists are not planning to put much resistance into today's forthcoming match.

ProPain
08-12-2005, 01:38
quote:Due to an all-day shower, 2386 paying spectators got to see a match on a pitch-turned-bog at PP SV Arena.

Quite a lot of specs. Normally I dont even come close to a 1000!

Well next week is gonna decide wether me or Mel reaches the semi final. It's gonna be an exciting game. Walkover this weekend, so my boys are gonna take it easy. Best prep possible :)

Shabbaman
08-12-2005, 06:53
Shabba FC beats canadian national team 1-4. No injuries [worship]

Swingue
08-12-2005, 11:43
Swingstars win with a redcard for one of our midfielders.
BTW does this have any effect on playing league?

Melifluous
08-12-2005, 11:51
no it doesn't.

[meli]

ps. grats on your win

Dell19
08-12-2005, 17:45
As CDZ hattrick membership increases I wonder what people would think of a league structure similar to the current groups was implementated with promotion and demotion between each league after each season. Potentially there would be four leagues with teams being grouped by their previous cup ranking and with new teams joining at the bottom and extra teams being promoted if teams decide to leave the competition. Perhaps 2 teams go up from each league.

It could be useful in reducing the length of the competition by two weeks to avoid less clashes with official hattrick cup games and the leagues may be more competitive with teams at a similar level. Thoughts?

Mistfit
08-12-2005, 18:48
Would that have the weaker teams playing each other more often?

I'm easy to get along with so if that is what the crowd decides I'm all for it. I just like not having to think and work for friendlies a goodl portion of the season. (and listening to Meli bitch about me taking ouy his elderly players for months on end)

Kemal
08-12-2005, 20:05
While the possibility is certainly there, I'm personally not a huge fan of a league system for CDZ. The most interesting factor of the CDZ Cup imo is about being able to play your fellow cdz-hattrickers, and when using a (totally randomized) cup, each time has the same chance to be playing against each other CDZ team available. With a league system this will no longer be the case, as - with all due respect - I believe a tie as Chimica Tarnaveni v FC Suca simply won't be a possibility anymore. In a league system, especially in the top and bottom league, you can expect to be playing the same teams each year over and over again, I fear.

Also, the excitement of the Cup also brings that a single loss can already be fatal. Even though this only goes for the 2 KO-rounds in our cup, it still means that you'll have to win these 2 games to be crowned the winner. This will make the outcome less predictable, the random draw for the groups already can allow weaker teams to reach the semifinals, and in these finals (maybe) even Suca can lose a game. In a league system, I think Suca will reign supreme even longer..

So I'd rather continue using a cup system, though I agree that, as teams are improving every season, the national cup games are and will be become more of a problem.

Dell19
08-12-2005, 20:19
Good points. Really I had just thought of it as an idea and thought I would post it to see what people thought. The only extra comment that I will make is that I would kind of like to be able to build up a rivalry with teams at a similar level since we would be able to compare our progress against each other whilst in the present format the final ranking is largely down to how the groups are balanced.

English_brit
08-12-2005, 20:55
I agree with Kemal really. I think it would just result in people losing a bit of interest as they are always playing the same teams each season pretty much and with no knockout stage would make it less exciting and less change of an upset.

In fact if it was my choice I would add as many knockout rounds as possible, which will result in more excitement and chance of an upset.

We could have maybe with 28 teams this time added in a quarter final knockout round.

7 groups of 4 teams with the winners of each group advancing along with the best runner up, decided on points\gd\gf.

Kemal
08-12-2005, 21:10
I second the idea of having at least one runner up progressing to the finals whatever league system we use. That will keep the group system more interesting, as playing for 2nd place usually it an option much longer than trying to finish first.

Problem of small groups is that it reduces the diversity of the opposition, with our current setup you are guaranteed 9 different opponents throughout the Cup. Getting an extra KO round in is a good idea as well, though we can only really start planning it for real once we know the amount of participants for next cup.

arne1
08-12-2005, 21:25
If we want to shorten the cup we mus go to smaller groups. I am pretty happy with teh setup we have now, but I do not play any cup matches (yet). Groups of seem a bit small to me and I do ot wnat to play the whole group twice.
If we want to shorten the length of the cup I would suggest groups of 6 and 3 KO rounds. We could of cours go to goups of four with 4 or 5 KO rounds

Swingue
09-12-2005, 00:08
I definately prefer cup over league in CDZ (for what it is worth)

ciuly
09-12-2005, 10:21
First of all, the way the CDZ cup is now seems fine to me. I'm not sure how the groups are made (guess random is mostly envolved), but I'm thinking of one improvement.

The groups could be made using the last cup standings. Let's say there are 16 teams, meaning 4 groups of 4 teams. Teams ranking 1 to 4 in last cdz cup could play in group 1, 5 to 8 in the second one and so on. The number of teams in each group could be different (like 8 this season), depending on the total number of teams participating and the number of weeks avaible for CDZ cup matches (starting week 8 should be fine for the vast majority, at least for now). Also, all matches should be played on neutral ground, so that no team gets the home advantage, since only 1 match can be played between 2 opponents.

IMHO, this could lead to more balanced groups and make the cup more chalanging, since everyone can have a better chance at winning their group or at least play with equal power opponents.

As a personal note: I know it seems quite "unfair" that I keep winning (or at least not loosing :D) here in CDZ cup, but there is one simple reason behind this: I think that it doesn't matter (regarding injuries) if a player plays 2 matches per week, so, except for the trainees, I usually use my best players in both league and friendly matches.

Shabbaman
09-12-2005, 10:37
quote:Originally posted by ciuly
As a personal note: I know it seems quite "unfair" that I keep winning (or at least not loosing :D) here in CDZ cup, but there is one simple reason behind this: I think that it doesn't matter (regarding injuries) if a player plays 2 matches per week, so, except for the trainees, I usually use my best players in both league and friendly matches.

If a player plays twice, it seems to me that he's got twice the chance of getting injured.
BTW, you winning all the time might change. The fed has a new member that plays in the Swedish second class. Now all we've got to do is to convince him to play in the cup...

ciuly
09-12-2005, 12:42
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

If a player plays twice, it seems to me that he's got twice the chance of getting injured.
BTW, you winning all the time might change. The fed has a new member that plays in the Swedish second class. Now all we've got to do is to convince him to play in the cup...

Obvious, but many fear that the game engine increases the injury chance if player is played twice a week. For example, if a player would have let's say 20% chances of injury in the first match, in the second the injury chances would go up to 40%.

As to my undefeating strike, keep in mind that my team is constantly improving too. And also I hate loosing.:)

socralynnek
09-12-2005, 13:44
Shabba, have you seen the lineup of our new swedish member in his last friendly?
With this lineup he would compete with yndy for the lowest spot...
I guess his players cost so much in wage terms that he just can't afford them being injured in the friendly...

Kemal
09-12-2005, 13:45
Nothing unfair about Suca winning all the time since you consistently field the strongest team... so far, at least. You've been at the brink of defeat a few times already, so I don't think we need a swedish 2nd division team to do the job (though he'd be most welcome to join of course).

On the topic of seeding, a problem I think is that we have but a few teams that really stand out above the average strength in the CDZ cup. Since it seems to me almost all of us regard diversity above an even playfield, we are more or less bound to a small amount of large groups. In that case, I think using a seeding system based on the rankings of the previous cup is actually counterproductive for the aim of keeping the chances of cup upsets alive, since it will mean that it will be certain that each group will have at least one team that clearly stands out above all others in that group, making the ranking in that group a foregone conclusion.

As it is now, other teams have a decent chance to shine, Group D has a lot of big guns available which means that other groups should be relatively weaker, thus meaning a bigger chance of a relatively weaker team being able to progress to the finals.

Also, one really tough group also makes the cup more challenging for those better teams, since they will have to fight each other for only 1 place in the final, whereas with a seeding system, they would be almost guaranteed that place in the final, making the group stages less interesting.

Of course, I do admit that for a weaker team to be placed in a really tough group makes the cup not interesting at all perhaps, as they won't have much of a realistic shot at winning anything. Then again, newcomers Dented slides are doing really well in group D, which was supposed to be a very strong combination of teams.

Dell19
09-12-2005, 14:19
Dented Slides did have a WO which explains why they have 6 points. My team has generally struggled this season as I've been focusing on competitive games and the unusually long cup run meant that my reserves are not in the best of form.

yndy
10-12-2005, 21:43
Sorry, I haven't really been around lately. I support maintaining the random seeding but also I agree with arne, let's try making groups of 6. Five or six of them.

I also garee that the diversity makes the groups more interesting and I continue to warn you that at some point in time I will be back with a vengeance. Thing is that I don't know when. In the meanwhile I enjoy every goal I score in the CDZ cup.

Kemal
14-12-2005, 18:03
Congrats to Suca for reaching the semis, though it could never have been any different of course, suca being suca. :)

I'm trailing Codrutul 0-1 atm and have my best IM sent off for a red card (luckily no injury for Codrutul), so a draw would probably have been good enough too.

In the meantime, Meli has taken a surprise lead in Eindhoven vs PP SV... a win would see Meli reaching semis, so everything to play for there.

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 18:14
A surprise lead??

Biased much? [lol]

[meli]

Kemal
14-12-2005, 18:17
Playing away against PP's (would-be, one starts to wonder?) magni midfielders? Sure I am surprised... though I did let you come in second on my prediction poll in the "who can beat Suca?" thread. ;)

Mangler's always have been cdz-cupfighters though, I agree.

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 18:25
I also have Magnificent Midfielders [:p] and he plays 3-4-3 instead of the midfield heavy 3-5-2.

However sharing possession after half time was a slight surprise ;)

Promising to be a great match.

[meli]

Kemal
14-12-2005, 18:27
Everyone seems to have magnificent midfielders but me. [sulk]

arne1
14-12-2005, 18:33

Everyone seems to have magnificent midfielders but me. [sulk]

just to console you a small bit mine are only excellent.

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 18:33
Its only taken me 2 years to train em :)

[meli]

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 18:34
And now PP got a player sent off.

Oh dear *rubbing his hands in glee*

[meli]

Kemal
14-12-2005, 18:37
Don't let anyone take my gripes about not having magni midfielders seriously please. :) I have 3 outstandings who are doing an outstanding job at Snaken. ;)

Except that one managed to get sent off against codrutul. [sulk]

edit: yet still Peter Billand manages to sneak in an 1-1 equalizer. [party]

Kemal
14-12-2005, 18:42
And in the meantime, it looks like a spot in the semifinals is drifting further and further away from PP SV. [eek]

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 18:44
Indeed.

0-2 now.

[meli]

Mistfit
14-12-2005, 18:45
Don't write PP off yet :D

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 18:45
damnit

1-2 now

[meli]

ProPain
14-12-2005, 19:03
made a mistake in my line-up. My second keeper is playing [cry]

That's what you get when you have to do it during a 5 minute break during a 2 day training course. Still my men are holding their own possession wise. :)

Kemal
14-12-2005, 19:08
And still time for some late game drama of course, as we enter the final 10 minutes of the games...

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 19:08
They can hold what they like so long as they lose [:p]

No injuries is all I'm really bothered about.

[meli]

ProPain
14-12-2005, 19:24
congrats Mel! Good match!

Shabbaman
14-12-2005, 19:30
Shabba FC beats Marlins 6-0. No injuries [worship]

Dell19
14-12-2005, 19:48
1-8 was the final score in my match last night. It seems my team likes scoring 8 when they win.

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 20:34
And I had to leave the house 8 minutes from the end.

Nice to see nothing else happened.

I feel bad winning this match, I feel PP deserved it more.

Still onto a semi final place against... I dunno [:p]

[charge]

[meli]

Melifluous
14-12-2005, 20:43

congrats Mel! Good match!

No hospital trip for Fabian!!

w00t

[meli]

yndy
14-12-2005, 20:48
Has anyone noticed my 7-1 win over Eindhoven Energy?
Or you all read it the other way around? :)

Swingue
14-12-2005, 21:33
SEMI Finals, yes
hmm, lets see if can be any match for the others.....

Kemal
14-12-2005, 23:09
Congrats to all semi-finalist, the draw for the KO rounds will be made tomorrow (evening, I'm afraid, unless yndy or someone else could do it before that time).

@yndy: this is close to manipulating the cup results, the team you fielded now compared to the "regular" chimica... ;)
Bad luck for EE, but a well deserved vic for you!

Swingue
14-12-2005, 23:21
Let me play against Mel and see if i can keep the office honour up :)

English_brit
14-12-2005, 23:48
Dom's Ducks got a nice win against me. A great use of tactics shows what you can do. Nice defense ratings as well. :)

Melifluous
15-12-2005, 03:33

Let me play against Mel and see if i can keep the office honour up :)

I demand the right to lose against the cup winners Suca only!

[meli]

socralynnek
15-12-2005, 11:21
Damn, I guess I am the one losing the most places this round.
Last edition 4th, now 20th to 24th...
Our group C was damn close for places 2 to 7!

English_brit
15-12-2005, 13:34
Yep, dead true Socra.

Kemal
15-12-2005, 20:21
Draw has been finished!

Even though it will likely start to become annoying ;): please use cup rules and neutral ground for these matches!

Melifluous
16-12-2005, 00:39

I demand the right to lose against the cup winners Suca only!

[meli]

[goodjob]

[meli]

Iggy
16-12-2005, 10:48
Just wondering what the ettiquette is here for neutral grounds. It seems to me to be a little wasteful when playing an international friendly for both teams to have to spend travelling money. How about the 'home' team being able to arrange the match in another ground in his own country?

Kemal
16-12-2005, 10:57
I think the two teams should come to agreement on that themselves. I agree that arranging an international fixture for both teams would be wasting 6K (unless you really want the extra 0.1 exp point), and for some new teams 6K actually might still be quite a substantial sum of money (and for greedy older teams too [:p]).

socralynnek
16-12-2005, 13:20
If it's an international friendly, both teams get the extra 0.1 exp.
Neutral could at least mean: Not in your region. Because of home advantage.

Elsaak
16-12-2005, 13:34
well, Yorkie Geezers seems to not accept any defi...
I'm worried because d'ont know when I could connect me and accept him if he comes.... what's the dead line for arranging or being allowed to look for a friendly ??

Kemal
16-12-2005, 13:42
You can start looking for another friendly (without facing the 5-0 WO penalty) if the other team does not accept your challenge before monday morning. But surely if you sent him a challenge now, things will work out in time?

Iggy
16-12-2005, 16:16
quote:Originally posted by Elsaak

well, Yorkie Geezers seems to not accept any defi...
I'm worried because d'ont know when I could connect me and accept him if he comes.... what's the dead line for arranging or being allowed to look for a friendly ??

Challenge made, my anxious friend.
[duelist]

Elsaak
16-12-2005, 16:18
my problem was that I think he doesn't allow challenges..., so I have to wait on him. But everything is now OK :
challenge organized with Yorkie Geezers !
we will play in China, in Captain Tubasa Arena (30203).

Elsaak
16-12-2005, 16:21
quote:Originally posted by Iggy

[blush2]
Thank you ! [beer1]

Swingue
19-12-2005, 11:29
Hmmmm Meli, looks like we can battle for 3rd and 4th place.

Melifluous
19-12-2005, 12:44
Ha, I'm going for 2nd place matey :)

[meli]

Swingue
19-12-2005, 14:58
Sure,

I understood that the chances of you beating Suca is about the same as the Dutch team winning world cup next year.

socralynnek
19-12-2005, 15:52
What does a Dutch when his national team wins the World Cup?
He puts off his Playstation and goes to bed ;)

Håkon
19-12-2005, 17:23
Erm, I didn't challenge holly's eleven during the weekend, but it appears they've got another friendly (with Alkwantor - matchid 58792040) and forgot about the CDZ Cup. So this means I'm the winner and can get another friendly?

yndy
19-12-2005, 17:55
Yes, by all means arrange another friendly. I guess Hollybolly didn't realize there were two more matches to go. I'll drop him a line.

Swingue
20-12-2005, 18:50

What does a Dutch when his national team wins the World Cup?
He puts off his Playstation and goes to bed ;)

I though Playstation was trying to imitate real life.
so much for that then

:D

Kemal
20-12-2005, 21:39

Ha, I'm going for 2nd place matey :)

[meli]

Whoops, I suppose that won't be happening for at least another season though... looks like you'll be playing for bronze after all, Meli.

Melifluous
20-12-2005, 21:57
Aw Crap.

That's tonight isn't it...

Stupid stupid meli

[meli]

PS. But 4-1 down dont sound that bad :)

Kemal
20-12-2005, 22:00
Not too bad, no... I was 4-1 up vs suca once and managed to draw the game, so all to play for still. Or not.

Btw, you're no longer a HT-supporter, I noticed, is that on purpose?

Melifluous
20-12-2005, 22:21
Well 5-2 now...

Something I aint seen before...

quote:In the 62nd minute, Suca's Giovanni Maccioni received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. The player down was Félix Becerra. The Manglers bench looked worried for a while, but in the end he managed to get up.

Wish he'd stop kicking my players about.

and Kemal? Bugger, is it that time again. Arse.

[meli]

Dell19
20-12-2005, 23:05
That means he will be bruised after the game.

socralynnek
21-12-2005, 11:43
Beat Yndy 5-1 although I had only one striker.
No injuries but a lot of cards.
You see, we both wanted to go for place 21...
So, Dell or akots...see you next week once again( I guess those are the two teams I have played the most against in CDZ cup...)

akots
21-12-2005, 11:56
Most likely you'll face Dell. I have to play whatever leftovers available after recent devastating league match and I'm still facing qualifier on Sunday although it seems it will be a bot team after all but not sure about it. Bet Dell will get an easy win.

Dell19
21-12-2005, 12:17
Apparently I've played Socralynnek 3 times in the cup with him winning 2-1.

I don't really expect to win today since my TS is murderous and confidence is low.

Elsaak
21-12-2005, 15:24
quote:Originally posted by Iggy
[duelist]

I loose 2-1, very Iggy really deserved his victory !
next challenge against Crvena Zvezda Strijp....

Kemal
21-12-2005, 15:45
Lol, CZS - Codrutul was played in a 0-seat stadium... How's that for some nice friendly match income, guys?

Kemal
21-12-2005, 16:24
Hmm, there seems to be another unarranged friendly, the Boergaik - Disciples of Kipper match wasn't arranged :(, but I'm not sure who to give the walkover here.

Dell19
21-12-2005, 16:46
It seems I was wrong although I expect to lose against Socra again since my TS will still be shot to pieces.

Melifluous
21-12-2005, 17:38
Good God!

What the hell! Everything busts loose in the Kemal-Shabba!!1! match

quote:
In the 30th minute, the visitors broke through on the right after some poor defending. Goris van Risp put the ball away for 0 - 1. The visitors' Hemmo Noll took advantage of an error due to a misunderstanding between the home side's goalie and central backs in the 32nd minute. 0 - 2 for Shabba. Peter Billand of Snaken was able to make an impressive rush past the sluggish Massimo Läuppi, which resulted in the 1 - 2 goal. Some fine maneuvering on the left led to a Shabba goal in the 35th minute, making it 1 - 3. Hemmo Noll was noted down as the scorer.

[meli]

Kemal
21-12-2005, 17:47
Would you believe that I have a 56% possession rate, yet (reported) chances so far have been 0-4 to Shabba? [confused]

That quick SE keeps some hopes alive, but it looks grim atm.

Btw, TBBFC takes a 0-1 lead over swingstars in the 2nd semifinal...

Melifluous
21-12-2005, 17:54
0-3 now in the 2nd Semi...

23 minutes played [:P]

[meli]

Swingue
21-12-2005, 17:56
Come on Swingstars you can do better than this!!!!
If it goes on like this we have to beat Meli in the next round ;)

Kemal
21-12-2005, 18:08
And now my poor exp player creates an inexperience event! Have the bugs from trying to implement the changes started already?? ;)

Seriously, I've never seen such an experienced fellow give away a chance... guess there's a first for everything.

edit: And swingstars reduce to 1-4!

Kemal
21-12-2005, 18:49
Snaken deservedly get beaten 2-4 by Shabba FC, though the HT engine didn't favour Snaken with regard to chances... with 56/44 possession, Shabba managed to get at least 6 chances. :(

[shabba]'s defense was quite good so overall the better team won, I think.

Kemal
21-12-2005, 18:51
On the other hand, Schip beating PP SV 2-1 seems rather amazing, considering the difference in ratings there! [eek]

Kingreno
21-12-2005, 19:04
Not to mention that SHABBA takes the all-important Viagra Cup. On goal difference!!!

Shabbaman
21-12-2005, 19:25
[shabba]'s defense was quite good so overall the better team won, I think.

Must be the reason indeed. No injuries [worship]

arne1
21-12-2005, 20:11
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman
No injuries [worship]
You lucky bastard!

Swingue
21-12-2005, 22:53
Hmmm, no fucking chance against Blue Boys,
Congrats with the victory English Brit!

ProPain
22-12-2005, 00:04
Well, I'd say PP SV suffered an unlucky loss today. Hope this replaces an otherwise bad RNG roll in next seasons competition.

Otherwise I;m quite happy with my stars and ratings, only my defensive line needs some bolstering. I have cash for that so I plan to buy a decent CD before next year's competition starts.

English_brit
22-12-2005, 00:15
Thanks Swingue. Good luck in the bronze playoff game. Should be a close game. :)

Mistfit
22-12-2005, 02:36
First 1/2 is a stand off between my Marauders and Dom Ducks (I did edge him out a bit in TOP)...

0-0 He is counter attacking funny how I have not had a single scoring chance and yet he gets all of the chances[hmm] I would have presumed that counter attack needs an attack from me to be sucessful... but what the hell do I know...

Edit: Now I'm getting fucking laughed at?
quote:0-2 was a funny story: the seemingly nonchalant lob from Ducks's Gert-Marijn Pinchetti landed at the feet of Aldo Sinico who sent it into the net - goal! By now, Ducks were drawing the troops back in order to defend their lead.