PDA

View Full Version : [Called off] grs vs Tubby (We'll restart in civ4)

Tubby Rower
19-09-2005, 13:04
If this is grs......go away

This is my first solo PBEM. I hope that I do ok. I'm a little leary about no AI. And this will more than likely play as AW. which I'm not good or experienced at.

Tubby Rower
19-09-2005, 13:05
Here is my start. I started on the cow and thought it best to move toward the GH and there are sugars on the other side of the mountains.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/200591913441_grs_start.jpg
38.48KB

Pastorius
19-09-2005, 13:09
Why not moving to the hill to the north? Gives you protection, and all that.... I normally try to avoid using my settler to pop a hut

(just tossing out stuff for discussion)

Tubby Rower
19-09-2005, 13:27
A little late now but I did consider that. I didn't want my border expansion to pop the hut. Since this is Emperor 65% chance of barbs, if I have any military. If I plant right next to GH...it's 0%. That was my reasoning. I've never played 1 on 1 before so I don't want to give grs too big of a head start.

Ginger_Ale
19-09-2005, 13:30
Paal, you do not get barbs from a hut regardless of level or military units if you found a city 1 tile from it. That's a technique advanced civ players use. [:p]

And how many times do you need your capital for protection? I've not read a spoiler where someone was attacking a human's capital.

Whomp
19-09-2005, 22:20
You did the right thing Tubs. If you need to be on a hill for your captial you're through anyhow. You may get a nice benefit from the hut. Let's hope a tech.

Tubby Rower
21-09-2005, 13:09
Well the GH just gave me a warrior which is out scouting now. Not a lot of good land but I did manage to figure out a way for a 4-turn settler factory starting @ 3000BC. My initial build is a granary since I got my warrior from the hut. after that it's 4 turn settlers.

Research the wheel @ max <- probably the wrong decision, but I can't get them all right can I?

Ginger_Ale
21-09-2005, 20:27
Don't forget a classic mistake many make (and I did too in my first pbem(s)): don't skimp on military!

ProPain
22-09-2005, 00:31
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

You did the right thing Tubs. If you need to be on a hill for your captial you're through anyhow.

Whats wrong with founding a capital on a hill? You get extra defense bonus, which is nice. Also you (normally) save a plains/grassland that gives you better growth than a hill. If it's a goldhill settling on the hill even gives you extra commerce -> faster research.

Whomp
22-09-2005, 05:10
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

You did the right thing Tubs. If you need to be on a hill for your captial you're through anyhow.

Whats wrong with founding a capital on a hill? You get extra defense bonus, which is nice. Also you (normally) save a plains/grassland that gives you better growth than a hill. If it's a goldhill settling on the hill even gives you extra commerce -> faster research.
Propain you are much more knowledgable than I but in this case it seems to me that getting the hut which popped the warrior is worth something right off the bat. He is now going for a farmers gambit. The other problem I saw with that hill is the two desert tiles would not have been very productive either.

Pastorius
22-09-2005, 08:34
quote:Originally posted by Ginger_Ale

Paal, you do not get barbs from a hut regardless of level or military units if you found a city 1 tile from it. That's a technique advanced civ players use. [:p]

And how many times do you need your capital for protection? I've not read a spoiler where someone was attacking a human's capital.

Wasnt what I meant...

GA, Ville has a tendency to attack Gogf's capitals...;)

Tubby Rower
22-09-2005, 12:57
I think that the gamble might pay off..... It looks like we have a peligo map. I'll move that warrior south the the hill. If it's majority sea then it should be a peligo or I got a really crappy start. I took this picture before switching from the forest to the cow. After irrigation of the cow is complete no more improvements are necessary for the settler factory. my first city might be one the coast for a curraph once I get alpha. I figured the military techs (hence the research on the wheel) were more important but I guess maybe now alpha might have been. Is it worth wasting 2 turns of research to go for alpha?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/2005922125329_grs_turn3.jpg
46.5KB

Tubby Rower
22-09-2005, 13:54
I'd like to get a sanity check on this start. I've planned a couple of scientists along the way and they are set at -2 surplus foodfood and 0 shields. Sugar hill is set to 0 surplus food and 1 shield. Hill is -1 food and 1 shield. Thanks

image revised and moved 3 posts later

Whomp
22-09-2005, 15:32
I'd think finding horses are mighty important in a game that is 1x1.
Just curious is there any reason why the sugar hill its not worked with the wheat earlier?

Tubby Rower
22-09-2005, 15:50

Just curious is there any reason why the sugar hill its not worked with the wheat earlier?
forest gives 2 shields and sugar hill only gives 1. the granary will complete without waste in the scenario above. I won't get border expansion until 3450 so I couldn't work them before that. After the granary is built I have 1 "wasted" turn that I can do nothing with (hence the scientist) then 4 turn settlers. I fiddled with it for 20 minutes trying to get the granary earlier without growing the same turn as it was built. I couldn't get it to happen. So this is what I ended up with.

Tubby Rower
22-09-2005, 16:19
I saw that i didn't clear out the first turn's city tile. It's fixed here.... The yellow lines indicate that that turn has already passed.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/2005922161841_grs_start.gif
33.56KB

Whomp
22-09-2005, 16:22
OK makes sense. Oh masterful and great geek I will post my spreadsheet in the next couple of days so hopefully you will check my work . That would make me very [hyper]!

Tubby Rower
22-09-2005, 16:35
Which game Whomp?

Whomp
22-09-2005, 16:41
vbraun's game. I have two civs and you've already helped me with one civ but that's like looking at the answer key. I want to try it myself and check it against yours.

Tubby Rower
23-09-2005, 23:44
Ok grs apparently just got off the train when I got home and we have exchanged at least 5 turns so far.

I don't think that this is an archipeligo.
Hope it's continents
Really don't want pangaea.

On turn 7 I gave up exploration to defend the capital with the warrior that I popped. I don't know the barb setting either so I'd rather the granary work not be wasted on a stupid hairy ape walking through my streets.

The cow has been irrigated and the worker just got on the wheat tile to mine. The worker has also spotted some wines on a nearby hill [drunks1]

I'll post a screenie later

Tubby Rower
24-09-2005, 23:39
The warrior is headed back home.... Continents or a crazy pangaea is probably what the land type is.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/200592423392_grsmap3350.jpg
99.48KB

Tubby Rower
26-09-2005, 12:25
not much new has changed....on my end. I just sent off turn 20 to grs. He planted a city last turn. My granary is up and I have 2 more turns before my settlers start flowing out. My warrior is also home now.

I've also finished The Wheel with no horses in sight!!! That sucks. So I went to warrior code since my UU is a ton of shields that I can't support right now. I hope that all of the mountains and hills are some indication that iron will be nearby.

admiral kutzov
27-09-2005, 01:48
just spamming for gold

Tubby Rower
27-09-2005, 15:26
I'm getting a settler in a turn or two. I'm thinking to plant him on the wines, but I might save that one for the second city since it's

1. not on a river, and
2. doesn't have growth potential.

I think that the 2nd settler will go on the wines or I might go get that wheat with a city radius.

The wheat city will probably be a worker pump and Goldburg will be a military city.

Tubby Rower
03-10-2005, 23:40
I had a barb wonder toward my third city. Luckily I had just planted it last turn.

We're now on turn 30. I have 3 cities and a settler going toward the 4th.

I have some wines connected and am 3 turns away from BW. then I'll be lacking HBR & IW before I have all of the military techs.

Tubby Rower
06-10-2005, 17:08
I have 4 cities now....a couple of barbs have shown up. I've dispatched a coupl eof warriors to take 'em out. I get BW next turn then I'll start up on IW (last of the AA military techs).

I got this message when settling next to a GH
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/20051061775_GRS_MASONRY.jpg
70.86KB

Pastorius
07-10-2005, 09:49
You settled on thundra?

What about going south with them settlers?

Tubby Rower
07-10-2005, 12:55
I wanted to get that goody hut. I was really hoping for another warrior but the free masonry was nice. I think that I'll start a group called the Free Masons ;)

The tundra isn't that that bad. I figured that I could share the sugar 2 out of every 4 turns and there is a bg that I can work 2 SE and tons of forests. Also the barbs were in the south and I dare not lose a settler at this stage.

I've sent my two warriors to the south to clear out the barbs before I send the next settler down there.

Thanks for the interest Paal. I was starting to feel like I was talking to myself. Believe it or not I did think about going south and to the west, but the south had the aforementioned barbs and the west was a little farther and will be next in line

Rik Meleet
07-10-2005, 13:09
We're all reading it. We only comment when we feel like it.
What will you use your Tundra City for ?

Tubby Rower
07-10-2005, 13:18
great library [lol]

I don't know yet... I'm not that good at city placement or specialized cities except settler factories. In the near term warriors.

Tubby Rower
07-10-2005, 18:51
For those that don't know.... This game is random on most everything. It also has no AI. Just me and grs. Since it looks like continents...Here is my research path philosophy in this game

Get the wheel for horses -> no horses immediately available
so get WC for archers in case barbs proliferate
then get BW -> IW for swords
make beeline for MM and invade the other continent

Since we have no AI, grs is very unlikely to trade. Since I don't trust my MMing skills, I won't either. So this will be AW as soon as we meet. It looks like it'll be depostism maybe monarchy for me unless more than the spices and wines are available on my continent.

Whomp
07-10-2005, 21:49
I'm watching you Focker. [butcher] I'm not sure you'll be able to invade the other continent with MM. There may be value in the Lighthouse if there are no coastal connections otherwise this could be straight to astronomy.

Tubby Rower
07-10-2005, 22:31
you're right Great Cow of the Seas.... I'm just used to hand-made maps with MM continental connections. That would suck if it takes to the end of the MA. I guess we'll see after I get a dingy in the water after alpha.

Tubby Rower
07-10-2005, 23:04
looky what I found. I almost lost my warrior getting that hut busted up. I think that I'll wait to show myself

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/20051072344_Image2.jpg
25.76KB

Tubby Rower
08-10-2005, 18:48
I haven't advanced on grs since the last update. But he has sent an elite warrior toward my homeland. I jsut finished IW and in just the nick of time because I was able to move my settler onto the iron and it'llbe connnected soon.

I've converted Fat boy city to a 2 turn archer pump and will be getting swords out of there in ~4 turns. ( I have to road one tile.) I was weak against grs's military but now I'm average and expect to be strong very soon.

Tubby Rower
08-10-2005, 19:21
Here's a pic of the current situation....grs I think is trying to make an end run at me. The south most of my warriors will park there for scouting purposes. GS will start in coming in 4 turns... grs still doesn't have BW or CB. I'm working on myst so I can get Poly & Monarchy if it lasts that long

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/2005108191929_grs2030.jpg
144.47KB

Tubby Rower
14-10-2005, 22:59
Well I've managed to dispatch both of grs's warriors that he sent at me. I have iron hooked up, and am getting a GS out of Fat Boy City every 4 turns. I don't remember but I think that the last time I checked, grs doesn't have IW, so a 3/2 GS will dominate. Now to just make a few and upgrade the existing warriors. :D

Tubby Rower
15-10-2005, 15:27
Here's an update. I'm average against grs. Last turn I was strong. I suspect that when my barracks comes on line and I upgrade a warrior I'll be strong once again. I have one GS right now. I'll be getting 1 every 4 turns out of Fat Boy city. I figure by the time I have 4-5 I could do some serious damage in the south. grs still doesn't have IW. So the best unit he could have is a horseman. I never researched HBR so I'm not sure if he has that or not. He does have the Wheel however.

I'm going to keep coastal loving as a warrior pump or maybe get archers/spears out of it.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Tubby Rower/20051015152351_grs1750.jpg
147.46KB

Tubby Rower
17-10-2005, 02:33
Well I can't upload these pics tonight, but grs sent a chariot that attacked and killed an archer.

I sent 2 GS to the Hague and killed the chariot and an archer. I think that there is only one warrior left in there.

I have 2 more GS coming and am roading the way down south.

killercane
17-10-2005, 17:54
Im surprised you went for the Wine hill for you second city rather than the gold hill (thats an awesome starting location btw). Do you plan on growing your capital to size 10 for 2 turn gallics in your golden age? This looks promising.

Tubby Rower
17-10-2005, 19:01
I went for the wine to get a lux connected quicker. The gold hill wasn't that far behind. I've already started the GA and it's shortened the build from 4 to 3. I'm fine with that since I don't think that I'll need too many more. grs still doesn't have IW... I wonder what he's waiting on.

Tubby Rower
13-11-2005, 02:57
grs hadn't played in a couple of weeks. I wonder if that is a concession. 3 GS on his doorsteps and I think that he's already abandoned a city instead of letting it get captured :)

grahamiam
13-11-2005, 03:40
he's playing very slow due to RL. You may want to send him an email and bump him. We are only doing 1 or 2 turns per week (if at all) for about the same time period. Before that, Christian was a very regular player. I've read somewhere that in December he thought it'd get backt to normal? Not sure though [hmm]

Tubby Rower
08-12-2005, 21:44
This PBEM has been called a draw due to civ4. We'll restart this match in civ4 after the first of the year.

grs
08-12-2005, 22:04
Well looking at your empire, you would have won it very probably.