Training Up and Down:

Recently Dr. A made me see the light in how to maximize my hunting ability
through the use of Training Up and Down. I thought I'd try to explain it here
for any of you who do not use this technique and for any n00bs that may come
along.

quote:First of some Terms:
TFF = Total Fighting force
This is the total of your Attack soldiers added to your Defense soldiers added
to any Untrained Soldiers. Basically eveyone but your spies and sentries.

SA = Strike Action
The total amount of damage you can inflict

DA = Defensive Action
The total amount of damage you can withstand in an attack

IS = Invisibility Shield
The best defensive weapon you can have

BPM = Black Powder Missle
The best offensive weapon you can get
Everyone I think knows that you should never attack someone that has a smaller TFF
than you do. If you don't know that... stop doing it because you will only get around 50%
of normal gold from the attack.

The idea behind training up and down is to limit your TFF for 2 reasons:

First when you are hunting you want to have as large a SA as possible while having the
smallest army possible. This will give you the largets amount of targets to choose from.

Second is when you are not hunting you want to have as large a DA as possible with the
smallest army possible. This will limit the amount of people that can attack you. A side
benefit to this is that it will lower your true ranking because your SA is 0. This means that
to find you opponents have to search through the lower rankings to get to you.

How to do it:
Optimally you should have as many attack weapons as you have defensive weapons. This makes
things a bit easier when doing the switch.

I have 1250 IS's and 1250 BPM's

When I am building up attack turn I will only train enough soldiers to cover my IS's. All Defensive.
This means that only people that have a higher siege tech than my fortification (or orc)
can attack me for full gold because all of my TFF is Defensive.

Then when I have built up enough attack turns (once or twice a week) I take all of my defensive
soldiers and untrain them (make them untrained soldiers) then train the same guys back to Offensive soldiers. So instead of
having to find targets with a minimum on 2500 TFF I can look for them as small as 1250. This makes
my hunting much more fruitful.

Ocassionally I want to find out my true ranking so I train both my attack and defensive weapons
to their fullest and wait till the top of an hour.

I hope this little primer helps those of you who are hard headed (like me) to see the light on
how to maximize your TFF. If you don't think it will work look up Dr. A .... He Da Man! [cookiem]

Tubby Rower
13-09-2005, 01:30
Corralary 1: If no one attacks you and your TBG (Turn Based Gold) is low, there is no need to switch your attackers to defenders.

I've been attacked but they get less than 10,000 G due to my small size and low TBG. I'll stop by occasionally to train my daily orcs and to buy BPMs, Hooks, and/or dogs.

Mistfit
13-09-2005, 02:50
The whole idea of the game though is to not have a low TBG :D

romeothemonk
13-09-2005, 03:32
It takes a while to build up enough TBG to make a difference. I have been playing for over a month and my TBG still doesn't buy crap.

Shabbaman
13-09-2005, 07:32
quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

The whole idea of the game though is to not have a low TBG :D

[lol]

Mistfit
13-09-2005, 12:48
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

It takes a while to build up enough TBG to make a difference. I have been playing for over a month and my TBG still doesn't buy crap.

I don't know 8 mil seems like a bit

quote:Timestamp: 9/13/2005 6:47 AM
Name: romeothemonk
Race: Orcs
Size: 1,693
Gold: 8,001,612
Fortification: Stronghold
Siege Weapon: cannons
SA: 213,785,000
DA: 139,760,000
Spy: 38,605,824
Sentry: 35,052,544
Covert Level: -1
Num Of Spies: -1
Attack Turns: 31
Unit Production: 160
Gold: 8,001,612
Mercs Untrained: 0
Mercs Attackers: -1
Mercs Defenders: 100
Men Untrained: -1
Men Attackers: 657
Men Defenders: 598

Mistfit
14-09-2005, 15:46
This works like a charm :D All of these guys had 20 mil + With both SA and DA trained I have to look in the 15 mil range for targets. Also I've not been attacked in 3 days!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Mistfit/2005914154548_hunt.jpg

Shabbaman
14-09-2005, 17:01
This morning I got attacked at the same instant I wanted to spent the night's worth of TBG. He took about 2/3 of it, so I spent the rest. I trained "up" and then checked my annoyance. Apparently he was out hunting and thus I took 21M from him :D

DrAlimentado
14-09-2005, 19:53
[lol]

Tubby Rower
14-09-2005, 20:18
What do you do with the losses? Do you just wait until the next day's alottment of orcs to replenish? or do you have some "extra" in case of losses?

Mistfit
14-09-2005, 20:46
That is another neat thing with the plan. As you loose soldiers it does not really hurt you all that much because your TFF just becomes that much lower. Then Gold hunter looks for more targets that are even smaller. On days that I hunt I make sure that I click a lot to make up for any losses. I lost what 70ish guys today (40 of them were attack mercs I was trying to get rid of)On a normal hunting trip I don't loose that many but they come back quite quickly when clicking.

DrAlimentado
14-09-2005, 20:56
I can lose several hundred men on a hunting trip [cry] (and if i were much bigger i would probably have to abandon this tactic and just buy some mercs and be at my true rank) but I just let them build back up from clicks. Even now at the end of the age you can still get ~700 recruits a day from clickwhore.