PDA

View Full Version : Locked alliances: Whomp vs. Tubby: anyone else?

Tubby Rower
03-09-2005, 03:32
Whomper & I want to get a game with some locked alliances. I guess we'll need a god to create a world for us to do mortal battle on.

Any takers?

Mistfit
03-09-2005, 03:58
If you are looking for a map maker I suggest posting it in the Map Makers area.

If you are looking for another player I could possibly be interested dependant on the particulars

[mistfit]

Tubby Rower
03-09-2005, 04:27
I think that we are looking for other players right now....

Whomp suggested a Conquest but neither of us have played one before and I really don't care.

Mistfit
03-09-2005, 04:29
I'll lurk and see what kind of game you intend on playing... I'll give ya a definite maybe right now.

Tubby Rower
03-09-2005, 04:37
I'm pretty new to the whole PBEM concept. The only one that I have done is the MTDG over @ CFC.

I'm pretty wide open to what the stats of the world or whether we play a conquest. I really like the all random maps on SP, but I see the need for a custom job for PBEM's since the human opponents won't irrigate a grassland @ 3500BC.

Mistfit
03-09-2005, 04:41
I'm new to the PBEM thing as well. I'm playing in my first against Killer (and not doing to hot)

What do you mean by locked alliances?

Whomp
03-09-2005, 05:02
Some of the conquest games are in locked wars or allliances against certain countries. I've never played a conquest game and really don't know if they are even fun so I just threw it out a Tubs. I thought it might be something different. What kind of game were you thinking Mistfit?

grahamiam
03-09-2005, 05:21
are you considering 2vs2 locked alliances? (ie, 2 players are in a locked alliance, which is in a locked war with another allied team of 2 players)

Whomp
03-09-2005, 05:57
It's kind of what I was thinking. Are there any conquests worthwhile doing that with?
It's Tubby's first PBEM and I've only got the Russian game and 16+ unless you count the CDZ demogame and the CFC game that Mistfit, Tubby and I are on the same team.

None of this is firm so any recommendations for us noobiles is helpful.

barbu1977
03-09-2005, 09:29
I may be interested. Set it up how you want it, I'll follow.
If we find 1 more nort america player, we may have a couple of power sessions and get this game going preaty fast.

Rik Meleet
03-09-2005, 12:25
I'd like to play a game.

Mistfit
03-09-2005, 13:58
2x2 would be cool. I have 0 experiance in any of the conquests. Well It seems that when the game came out I did play one of them but I must have been drinking heavily because I have no recolection of the game what so ever...

Sign me up if we play 2 vs 2 I think that would be fun.

Although if Barbu plays I will prolly have to try to change his avatar [mistfit] as that is a personal variant that I started at CFC.
When playing in a SG I try to at least improve upon everyones avatar that is in the game

Tubby Rower
03-09-2005, 14:29
Well you just gave Whomp & I a face lift and I love them both.

So 2 vs. 2 is this going to be AW with the two teams. I think that that might be best with the all of the noo Bees around. I'm still not completely sure how the diplomacy works in PBEM....But I guess I'll learn quick enough!!

Mistfit
03-09-2005, 14:44
Locked war kinda rules out some of the best government options doesn't it?

grahamiam
03-09-2005, 15:29
I was thinking more like a random map (as the mapmakers seem pretty busy). I've played quite a few of the conquests and I've had my fill. However, it seems like there's 6 takers here (whomp, TR, mistfit, barbu, Rik and me) so maybe we make it 3v3 or 2v2v2? We can just do a totally random map, where each player adds his P/W on the 1st turn. Also, Locked War must be turned on, otherwise a team may benefit unfairly from war happiness. I'd also prefer Locked Alliances so the teams can immediately share thier starting tech's.

quote:[barbu]If we find 1 more nort america player, we may have a couple of power sessions and get this game going preaty fast.

Of course, Rik blows up the North American quick power play aspect, but I don't think he actually sleeps so it should be ok :)

quote:Locked war kinda rules out some of the best government options doesn't it?
Akots and I both used Republic in our 1x1 locked war. WW only becomes an issue if you get a city razed or kill/lose a lot of units. However, I suspect Monarchy or Fued would be much easier to play, but that's up to the player ;) The important thing Locked War gets rid of is the unbalancing effect of War Happiness.

Mistfit
03-09-2005, 16:04
I'm all for it. Do we go total random including the civ? land size? climate? or just the start?

I vote for 2x2x2 but I don't have really strong feelings on that one either.

Whomp
03-09-2005, 17:00
Awesome! I like the idea too.
What may work best is if Barbu, Gram and Rik are on separate teams with us noobiles teamed up with them.

Tubby Rower
03-09-2005, 19:31
Does 2x2x2 mean that team A could be at war with Team B but not with Team C or Team A have to be at war with TEam B & C? And likewise with TEam B & C. Also, are the saves sent by email or are they uploaded to a server somewhere?

I could make a random map, but isn't there a possiblity that Team A could be split up and Team B be side by side?

Or we could make it a pangea and get around it altogether.

grahamiam
04-09-2005, 00:00
I think we can set it up such that all teams are always at war with each other, aka, locked war. That way, no trades are possible. I like pangea too, so we can move this one quickly, making it an ancient age rumble [hammer] Also, TR is right-on in regards to the starting location problem if we just go random, but with the mapmakers all tied up recently, I'm not sure if we have an option.

Tubby Rower
04-09-2005, 01:05
I tried to set up a locked alliance in a PBEM game. I couldn't figure it out. Someone else will have to set it up. I guess that we can make a random map and have the starts randomized. But again I don't know how to do that in a PBEM

Whomp
04-09-2005, 03:09
GMan are you saying no one partners or just you're one partner?

I think a partner could make for an interesting game because a stronger player may have to help his weak ass partner like me. Ebb and flow could be interesting. Just my .02.

A Pangea cage match type thing! I like it.

Whomp
04-09-2005, 03:14
GMan are you saying no one partners or just you're one partner?

I think a partner could make for an interesting game because a stronger player may have to help his weak ass partner like me. Ebb and flow could be interesting. Just my .02.

A Pangea cage match type thing! I like it.

grahamiam
04-09-2005, 07:03
I am saying there are 3 teams of 2 players. The players on each individual team are in a locked alliance. Then, the 3 teams are in a locked war. iirc, in the editor, you will see that it is possible to setup 4 alliances. Rik probably knows how to set this up.

Also, I am not saying that we have to go with a random map, just that things seem slow in the Mapmaking forum so it might be best if we just get it up and running ourselves as soon as possible.

bed_head7
04-09-2005, 07:15
I may be able to give it a shot. I'll see how it goes with keirador/SupremeCommissar's map tonight, and let you know. I am going to try to knock out this week's Chem and Physics homework by tonight, leaving some time for later.

romeothemonk
04-09-2005, 20:31
[spam3][spam3]
Keep me posted if you need more people.
[weight]

Whomp
04-09-2005, 23:04
Thanks Bed head!
Gman--that's what I was hoping for. Should we have Romeo pick the teams? He seems to know most of players and their play level. How should we pick civs?

Tubby Rower
05-09-2005, 03:03
random would be fine with me. I've tried to keep my play balanced enough to use any of the traits. Although you know what they say about jack of all trades master of none.

Well I'm more like a 7 than a jack

bed_head7
05-09-2005, 04:53
I am not so sure that I'll have as much time for this as I thought I would, so if you are in a hurry to get going, it may be best to get a random map. If you are willing to wait a week or two, I should still be able to do it for you though.

Tubby Rower
06-09-2005, 15:26
Romeo, can you randomly (or however you want to do it) select the teams??? Mistfit, Whomp & myself want to beat up on each other. Other than that, I don't think that there are any other restrictions to the teams but try to make it as fair as possible.

bed_head, thanks for your offer and I think that we can wait. Take your time.

Thanks
tubby

Mistfit
06-09-2005, 16:38
Whilst we wait can we talk about the rules?

Things I'm unsure of:
How does trading maps work with locked alliance?
Do we need to wait for the tech?

As a team are we forced into war with the other 4 player immediately?
If we go random on civs and locations how do we insure that we start nect to our partner or is that not important?

Ideas/Requests
I'd prefer to not play on a map larger than standard

romeothemonk
06-09-2005, 16:48
Let me get this strait.
Availible players are Rik, Gram (p) s :) , Barbu, Whomp, Tubby, and Mistfit.
If this is correct I will have some teams whipped up by the end of the day.

Tubby Rower
06-09-2005, 17:13
I believe you have it correct Romeo. The 1st three be matched up with the 2nd 3.

@ Mistfit, I'm not sure. That's what I didn't know about. I had a question too. Can two teams combine forces even though they are at war?

romeothemonk
07-09-2005, 16:05
Through the highly scientific process of making stuff up, I have the teams as follows
Grahamiam and Tubby Rower.
Barbu and Whomp
Rik and Mistfit

barbu1977
07-09-2005, 16:41
So we have the Bearded Cow, The Rowing Muppets and the Red Nosed Orca.

Nice pick.

Tubby Rower
07-09-2005, 17:46
So what are the rules??

When can we trade maps? Can we negotiate with another team? Is this going to be a Pangaea cage match?

Thanks Romeo for choosing the teams

romeothemonk
07-09-2005, 18:15
Best WWE Announcer voice
This bout is a triple threat, hardcore steel cage match.
The first team to excape from the Cage wins. There will be no disqualifications. Opponents can tap out, and then are eliminated.
The Match will begin when the Referee (Bedhead) locks the cage door.

bed_head7
07-09-2005, 18:31
Can the contestants let the referee know when they have firmly decided on all rules? And map specs? I am not sure where, if anywhere, those are definitively stated.

Mistfit
07-09-2005, 18:35
"Mean" Gene Okerlund

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Mistfit/200597183454_CA0HYRYJ.jpg

Tubby Rower
07-09-2005, 18:58
OK... I'll make up some rules/details and then everyone can pick it apart

Standard size
Pangaea
med. wet
med. age
min water
roaming barbs
no other (AI) civs (just us 6)
equivalent starts (good or bad)
random civs for all contestants
teammates start next to each other
All VC's are enabled
no SGL's
If a team is left standing with both its members it is considered a win for both

Map trading can happen from the beginning with your partner
no cross-team negotiation (ie, you guys attack from the east and we'll come from the north)

Rik Meleet
07-09-2005, 19:00
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

iirc, in the editor, you will see that it is possible to setup 4 alliances. Rik probably knows how to set this up. Not a problem.

quote:Originally posted by bed_head7Can the contestants let the referee know when they have firmly decided on all rules? And map specs? I am not sure where, if anywhere, those are definitively stated.Proposal of rules:
Pangaea Tiny map.
Locked alliances + locked war.
No SGL, SoZ editted (anyway the MapMaker thinks is fair).
Balanced map.
Teammembers close together on the map. Teammembers can share anything they want; in-game and out-game.
Last team standing wins.

-We might even consider:
"regicide" (or "mass regicide) to change the odds in favor of the attacker,
"accelerated production" to add some speed
"Civs: Always a hard decision. Since it is not hard to give every nation the civ they want by editting existing civs in the editor into their favourit, I am for getting what you want. Bed_head: I can make the Biq where all the rules have been implemented, without a map. I then send it to you so you can draw the map into it. Saves you a lot of time and I have experience in it. OK?

Whomp
07-09-2005, 19:00
My .02 on this cage match is no trading between the opponents. All out war!
1. Map Pangea
2. Size...tiny, small or standard works for me.
3. No barbs.
4. No SGL's.
5. SoZ? Wow if someone wants to risk getting it I say go for it. No ivory requirement.
6. Emperor, 4 or 5 billion with normal everything else.

I like the regicide idea and 2 turn settler factories are freaky but they work for me. Would it be worthwhile handicapping the strong players and not allow a ag trait?

grahamiam
07-09-2005, 19:28
I like small or tiny pangea map as well. It would be nice if this game lasted around 100 turns but not much more. Please, no islands.
AC is interesting, and I have no problem with that.
Re:versions of Regicide: I'd prefer regicide (single king). Mass regicide gets too messy. Also, we should make a rule that the king cannot leave his territory, so we're not searching all over the map for the king hidden in the jungle.
I like SoZ and SGL's off, but with AC on, it makes very little sense to build the SoZ so perhaps we leave that wonder as is but make all civs have access to ivory?

suggestions:
- single elimination: if one player on a particular team is eliminated, then both players get eliminated. Adds a bit of desperation when war starts.
- only one AGR civ per team

quote:My .02 on this cage match is no trading between the opponents. All out war!
Actually, with locked war, you cannot initiate diplomacy with the civ's you are at war with. But just to be clear, we should also restrict all out-game communications as well, except in the open thread where we can freely taunt and harrass each other :)

Mistfit
07-09-2005, 19:32
Hmm... I've never played with AP. I'll have to run test games

Just let me know the set-up once were ready to play :D

Whomp
07-09-2005, 19:43
How about trading cities? I don't think we should be able to trade cities between teammates.
Mistfit--AP is a little different and I'd suggest you mess with it a bit. Growth is the same but shield requirements are cut in half. We are using it in the Russian PBEM if you want to check out that game.

I know Killercane is looking for a game but I think if Romeo and 'Cane were together they'd brutalize us.

romeothemonk
07-09-2005, 21:57
That might be overestimating my skills. Grahamiam is better than me as he is much better at sweating the small stuff, whereas I am a big picture kinda engineer.
Besides, You guys want this to go quickly, and with my schedule and traveling, it might not work well for me.

killercane
07-09-2005, 22:13
quote:I know Killercane is looking for a game but I think if Romeo and 'Cane were together they'd brutalize us.

Highly unlikely since Im a total noob to PBEM, but thanks for the nod. Ive been trying to do some homework on human vs. human however so maybe I won't suck too bad.

grahamiam
07-09-2005, 22:33
I think, by keeping the number of people down, the game will move faster.

Whomp
07-09-2005, 23:15
Gareed Gman. Now take this Mister! [doomsol]

and now this knave! [dominance

bed_head7
08-09-2005, 04:50
Rik, if you want to take care of the biq, be my guest. I have played around with it some so I don't know that it would take me all that long, but I also spent 10 hours in class today and I haven't started homework for tonight, so any time saving measure for me is nice. But the plan is to finish up everything for this week (almost have) and most of next week's homework as well (in progress) leaving me plenty of time this weekend to mess around and come up with something that will work for everyone.

Rik Meleet
08-09-2005, 09:48
Bed_Head. OK I will. I'll take care of the setup and the rules stuff. But I will need the final settings on "who is what civ" and what map size etc. we want.

Players: I sense a tendency that you're liking tiny, locked war/alliances, regicide and accelerated production.
What's our decision on civ-choice ? I still like: "Give us all what we want, without restrictions". So 1 team can have both Iroquois nations, for instance.
City-gifting: I see no problem in this setup with that. In fact: in Regicide gifting a city means "loosing a city" and instant death [lol]

Rik Meleet
08-09-2005, 09:54
Or doesn't it? I'm confused now.....

Whomp
08-09-2005, 14:12
Regicide is when your king/queen is killed and you're done. I'd say no city giving.

Tubby Rower
08-09-2005, 14:58
- no gifting.
- Civ's should be random. I think.
- Are we playing where if one team member is dead, the other has to concede? I'd rather not or gram might have to bow out early too.

Rik Meleet
08-09-2005, 15:14
Civ's random is not what I like. That way you re-introduce an element of "luck" into the game. Either we choose civs and get assigned them or we "get what we want".

Whomp
08-09-2005, 15:29
I say any civ (1 ag per team) and roll 'em. I think that we should allow teams to continue on if a teammate gets eliminated. They are likely finishes either way but it would make for an amazing story if someone could recover from something like that.

Mistfit
08-09-2005, 15:46
If we are to choose our civ's I will need some additional information like how long (what age) the game will likely end in.

Rik Meleet
08-09-2005, 15:59
Mist: that depends on the map. If Bed_head makes a tiny Pangaea map then I'd expect to be fighting no later than late-ancient age, early Middle Ages age. I don't see the game reaching Industrial age at all. We might not even get to Cavs, although knights could be very possible.

grahamiam
08-09-2005, 16:54
Random civ's are not good. Let's choose like Rik stated (get whatever we choose, so we can have multiple Iro for instance). edit: but this would be at odds with the 1 AGR civ requirement?

imho, small or tiny will not reach past the mid to late MA. So, the question is, do you choose an AA UU or do you wait for the uber Chivalry UU? I suggest we submit civ's to Rik by tomorrow so Bedhead can work on it this weekend :)

@tubby: look for my forum, as I will open a thread for discussion.

Mistfit
08-09-2005, 17:15
hey rik can I add you to my MSN contact list?

Do you want the game open thread in your place or mine?

Whomp
08-09-2005, 18:28
Barbu same...my pad or yours?

Rik Meleet
08-09-2005, 18:42
Mistfit: sure. Rikmeleet -AT- Hotmail DOT com.

quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

Do you want the game open thread in your place or mine?
What about a cheap hotel ??? [mischief] [neener]

Let's put it in mine. I am usually very actively updating spoilers. If it is in mine I could edit a lot.

barbu1977
08-09-2005, 19:21
@whomp, your's has less topics than mine, so let's use your's

grahamiam
08-09-2005, 21:09
Since we are in the team-picking mode right now, can we get a quick vote from the players on the following:

1. Each team will be limited to 1 AGR civ per team. The 2nd civ on each team must have not have the AGR trait.

2. Civ's cannot not be modded, however, more that one player may have the same civ.

I vote yes to both.

Whomp
08-09-2005, 21:19
I say yes to both.

barbu1977
08-09-2005, 21:21
This was also my understanding, I vote Yes.

Mistfit
08-09-2005, 22:50
both yes for me [mistfit]

Rik Meleet
09-09-2005, 00:55
I vote yes to 2. I vote no to 1.
I fail to see why only 1 is allowed to have Agri. But I conform to the Majority wish; if that turns out to be Yes on 1.

Tubby Rower
09-09-2005, 02:35
well since I'm the last slacker to vote, yes to both.

Mistfit
09-09-2005, 04:53
Good point Rik especiallyu since we can duplicate civ's.

I'll bow to the greater knowledge of my team mate

grahamiam
09-09-2005, 05:18
Well, it's 4 to 2, in favor of both. So, who do we send our civ choices to? Bedhead or Rik?

Mistfit
09-09-2005, 06:16
Should it be a secret?

Tubby Rower
09-09-2005, 12:27
I don't guess so. Since you will presumably be talking to your teammate and will be at war with everyone else. It wouldn't hurt to post them here, but everyone has to have their picks before anyone posts them.

Rik Meleet
09-09-2005, 13:49

Well, it's 4 to 2, in favor of both. So, who do we send our civ choices to? Bedhead or Rik?
I need them first; since I am the one to change the civs in case there are more than 1 player choosing the same civ.

But to keep it fairer, we could all send it to BedHead and he can send them to me when all 6 civs have been chosen.
It's about how much you trust me to be honest enough. If you trust me enough, you could send it to me. [whistle]

Mistfit
09-09-2005, 15:05
I trust you implicitly :D

grahamiam
09-09-2005, 15:22
why don't the orcas tell us when they have settled on thier civ's, and then the muppets and cows will send in thier civs to Rik. that way, we don't influence each others choices (even subconsciously).

grahamiam
09-09-2005, 18:28
open thread started here -> http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3070 please check-in and list your email addy for the turn tracker :)

Rik Meleet
09-09-2005, 19:42

why don't the orcas tell us when they have settled on thier civ's, and then the muppets and cows will send in thier civs to Rik. that way, we don't influence each others choices (even subconsciously).
I'm fine with that.

Rik Meleet
09-09-2005, 22:28
Team "Red nosed Orca's" would like a ruling on the King-unit. Grahamiam proposed "we should make a rule that the king cannot leave his territory, so we're not searching all over the map for the king hidden in the jungle.". We aren't happy with that restriction.
Of course the goal is to eliminate a man-hunt for a lonely king, we support that. But that can be implemented in other ways. We propose the rule: "A king without kingdom (all cities gone) must be disbandend immediately". That also removes the dreaded "settler on a boat"-scenario as that settler dies -as do all other units- with the king himself.

-OOPS I just found out a king can't be disbanded. In that case we propose: "A king without kingdom walks to the nearest enemy ASAP as "war trophy". It can be killed at will. All other units that king has are to be disbanded immediately. A player without cities can't gift his brother anything anymore."
He's out of the game, but the game won't allow it that way...

BTW: We have chosen our civs and PM-ed them to Bedhead (for reference).

barbu1977
09-09-2005, 23:13
Garee with the rule change.

sent prefs to BedHead.

Tubby Rower
10-09-2005, 03:19
garee... I guess.... can the teammate gift a city to them instead of killing off the king?

I've never played regicide so I'm just going with the flow.

I'll send the rowing muppets' civ choices to bed_head

bed_head7
10-09-2005, 03:26
Okay, once I have the biq, I will try to get it done as soon as I can. Or, if Rik changed his mind, I'll just give it all a shot tonight.

Tubby Rower
10-09-2005, 03:35
Thanks a heap bed_head

Rik Meleet
10-09-2005, 04:06
BedHead: you'll get the Biq once everyone has submitted their civs and you let me know who they are. I'll then adjust the rules in such a way that all teams get their civs and the rest is fine. Then you'll only need to make the map + assign startpositions + start the game.
Until the civs are chosen I can't do anything. :)

grahamiam
10-09-2005, 04:43
ammended rule sounds good to me. Rik, TR sent our civ's to Bedhead. Do you need them as well or did JD send them to you?

bed_head7
10-09-2005, 05:15
Oh, I thought everyone sent them to you Rik. I will send them immediately.

Rik Meleet
10-09-2005, 13:52
Bed_Head (and the others).

Here is the Biq.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif 3x2.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Rik Meleet/200591013526_3x2.zip)
30.66KB

Things still to do:
- Make a map
- Assign what civ plays as "player 1" upto "player 6" in the scenario properties' "players tab".
- PM passwords to Bedhead
- kick off the game

bed_head7
11-09-2005, 04:04
Well, I was planning on starting tonight, but I locked myself out of my room for a good four hours, meaning I did not get as much work done as I had hoped/planned. I may still get it going tonight and finished by tomorrow. If not, it'll be at least a few extra days, as I am starting work at a new job on Monday, and then have very full days on Tuesday and Wednesday.

bed_head7
11-09-2005, 07:19
Okay, I put an hour in, probably all for tonight, and all I really managed to do was find a good shape for the continent (I hope), set the starting positions fairly equidistant, with teammates 11-12 tiles apart and enemies 12-13, I believe. Deciding on how to make sure there was no middle group that got torn apart was the main priority. The solution means that you shouldn't count on any of the regular properties of computer generated maps holding true, especially since I am doing the map so crudely. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to make sure that the quality of starts is roughly the same and terrain is more or less the same (I wish that along with redistribute resources and such, there was an option to redistrubute terrain on a given landform). Then I'll take some time to make sure that the starts actually are fair, more or less, and hopefully I'll have it all done in the Thursday-Friday range.

grahamiam
11-09-2005, 16:50
we need mistfit's email addy for the turn tracker. also, bedhead, please let me know when you have the order of players so I can tell Matrix.
thanks!

Mistfit
11-09-2005, 19:42
mistfit AT provide DOT net

bed_head7
12-09-2005, 06:54
Another quick update for you on my progress. For the most part, the map is done. There will need to be a few little resource relocations, and you all will probably want more than 3 food bonuses for the entire map that I have left at this point. But I think I have achieved a decent balance of terrain for each player's surroundings, while not giving each player an identical situation and identical decisions to make.

Turn order has not been done yet, but I was thinking something along the lines of:

Rik - Spain
Barbu - Iroquois
grahamiam - Iroquois
Mistfit - Iroquois
Whomp - Japan
Tubby - Persians

The teams are all split up, and the it still goes in a way such that in ideal conditions doing one turn a day should not be a problem, as Rik in Netherlands plays it, and then it sort of bounces around the east coast of the U.S. As long as there are no objections, you can submit that order to Matrix, and I will make that the game order.

Other small notes of little consequence. Map size is slightly smaller than a small map, but considerably larger than tiny. Tiny just seemed too cramped, and you all will be running into each other soon enough with a small map. Ivory will be on the map, but it will not be an issue. Actually, I just realized Rik may have turned it off. I forgot to check. Anyway, I hope to play test Tuesday and Wednesday night a bit, and deliver it to you on Thursday or Friday, hopefully without any major problems.

Rik Meleet
12-09-2005, 09:32
I don't recall editting SoZ. I can't check now (work) but I kinda gareed with Gra that with AP the SoZ isn't that much of an issue.

grahamiam
12-09-2005, 18:22
I finished updating the turn tracker request for Matrix as I don't believe anyone has issues with the order of play. It seems well thought out and should work fine [rabbit]

Rik Meleet
12-09-2005, 19:10
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

I don't recall editting SoZ. I can't check now (work) but I kinda gareed with Gra that with AP the SoZ isn't that much of an issue.
I checked: I did not alter the SoZ (still requires Ivory, still produces AC's every 5 turns and still costs the standard amount of shilelds). If Bedhead thinks that it needs to be changed, by all means do so. If BH doesn't think it needs to be changed, then it's fine for me, as long as everyone has a reasonable shot at it.

bed_head7
13-09-2005, 09:02
Yet another update. At the moment, no ivory on the map. I will probably change that. Some minor tweaking to make the starting positions somewhat more comparable seems to be in order. As it is, I accidentally gave a few civs too many of some things, and a few civs too few. If that makes any sense. Oh, just an aside to grahamiam - I never got a password from you, I don't think so at least, but I planned to assign you the same one you used in your game against me. Is that alright? Back on topic, I tried to give some different settling configuration possibilites to each player, as I really dislike the uniformity aspect of a lot of PBEMs, while also trying to give equality, more or less.

bed_head7
13-09-2005, 09:40
Okay, the map is probably horribly unbalanced in some way I did not foresee, but I am going to call it done anyway. Roughly the same production and food for each category (agricultural and non-agri), with a bit more of each for the non-agri. I tried to make teamwork a necessary part of thriving for any individual civ, so communicate. I also attempted to create some hot spots for fighting, but I am not sure how that worked out. My hope is that the geography does not dictate who attacks whom, but instead it is entirely up to diplomacy. Well, enough about the map.

Oh, almost forgot, I left ivory off the map by accident. Sorry. And grahamiam, your password is the same as it was in our game.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif 3x2_001a.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/bed_head7/20059139407_3x2_001a.zip)
57.2KB

If you have any complaints, all I can say is I am sorry, and next time don't leave this up to me.

Tubby Rower
13-09-2005, 12:26
quote:My hope is that the geography does not dictate who attacks whom, but instead it is entirely up to diplomacyWell it is an AW game so diplomacy is out of the window.

Thanks a lot bed_head!!

Mistfit
13-09-2005, 12:34
Thanks Bed Head! This is a great! I think it will be cool to see what your twisted mind comes up with for a map! I'm sure we will enjoy it!

grahamiam
13-09-2005, 14:22
my apologies, but work will keep me out of town till Weds. Thanks for setting this up bedhead (and for setting my p/w)

Rik Meleet
13-09-2005, 15:08
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

(..)And grahamiam, your password is the same as it was in our game. (..)You realise that I know that password ? I made that map, so I put in that PW. ;)

Not that I have even the slightest intention of using it...

Whomp
13-09-2005, 15:51
Tanks BH! Let the games begin! [evil]

bed_head7
13-09-2005, 22:16
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

quote:My hope is that the geography does not dictate who attacks whom, but instead it is entirely up to diplomacyWell it is an AW game so diplomacy is out of the window.

Thanks a lot bed_head!!

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood somewhere along the way. I thought that even with the locked alliances, there would be some element of teaming up against the other. In any case, if there were a situation where one of the teams is in the middle of the other two, that middle team would be taken apart first. I designed the map with the intent that it would either be all out war between everyone, more or less, or any two teams could team up against any one team. I hope that that out of game diplomacy is allowed, as it makes the game more interesting to me. But I only really skimmed the main thread for map details, so perhaps I misunderstood.

Rik, I didn't think that putting it in once as his password would cause you to memorize the password. Though the password is rather different, so perhaps it stuck with you.

And Mistfit, what twisted mind? I only wish that the map had some twisted qualities to it.

Rik Meleet
14-09-2005, 01:05
@ BH: I only told that I know Grahamiam's Password to have this known upfront. And I keep all my PM's in case the mapmaker needs to check something in case of an irregularity during play.
Remember; I'll never receive Grahamiam's save as long as Barbu is in the game. And even if I do get Grahamiam's save I won't look; I consider that cheating and I will never cheat. It's simply not "my cup of tea" to cheat.

@ All: I lean to no team contacts at all; we are 3 teams that hate eachother and will never talk to eachother, let alone make deals with other teams. "The world is not big enough for 6 nations; only 2 will fit" should be the motto IMHO. So I am in favor of never talking to other teams and certainly not making deals with other teams.

Mistfit
14-09-2005, 05:11
Gareed