PDA

View Full Version : Musical roots

Beam
23-08-2005, 00:54
Felt a bit like Wikipedia surfing tonight and found an excellent article on what I consider my musical roots. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

Iirc I got a 2x4 Watt tube radio in '74 or so and started to scan (call it surfing avant-la- lettre ;)) for radiostations mainly on Sundays when there was shit to do elsewhere in the small town I grew up. Regular stations were boring like hell at the time and only pirate stations were left as a choice with 2 options:
- Dutch Schlagers
- Rock

Consider Frenske Bauer being leader for the Milfhunters as a delayed choice for the non-favoured option 30 years ago. [rotfl]

'75 brought both Queens Bohemian Rapsody and a yellow mono compact cassette deck connected to the radio by the at the time well above standard 5-pole DIN plug (anybody knows the soldering scheme for those [lol]). '77 and '79 the first regular Hardrock broadcasts (called Beton = Concrete) and about 100 compact cassettes still lingering around the place here. Not just radio, quite a number of them were recorded from another device called a turntable where you could put 12" black circular things on, followed by "gently" lowering some form of chrystal on them and get sound out of it.

Said article mentions both bands that are my true old time favorites, Rush and Deep Purple and I've been working Matrix quite well imo to appreciate Rush at least, Purple to follow soon. :) And he is doing the same thing to me with new bands like Porcupine Tree for example.

WTF post this stuff? Just interested where your musical roots are and what you like most today!

Darkness
23-08-2005, 09:01
My roots?
It basically starts halfway through the eighties with the early work of Metallica and Guns N' Roses.
Then I had a period where I really loved all the hard stuff. Sepultura, Life of Agony, Amorphis & Paradise Lost, etc. This was fringed with some grunge in the early nineties, with Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam's early work.
And since the late nineties I basically drifted towards the somewhat softer mainstream rockmusic [blush2];). Bands like Coldplay and Lifehouse are now my favourites.
I still listen to all the other stuff though and I also like some other things like Garbage (technorock), Pink Floyd, the Alan Parsons Project...

Rik Meleet
23-08-2005, 09:26
My beginning is the same as Darkness' beginning. Metallica, GnR, Pearl Jam. I added The Doors, Melanie and a pinch of Bob Dylan to that, some softer 80's bands (Dire Straits, Queen, Toto, U2) as well as some Australian (and NZ) influences (Ratcat, Crowded house, Farnham for instance).

Now I still listen to selections of their songs as well as a large portion of dutch-languaged music (Boeyen, Borsato, Thuisband, Doe Maar, Normaal, Hazes to name a few). Frenske still doesn't appeal to me, BTW.

Matrix
23-08-2005, 12:10
Beam knows my taste quite well. But for the others:
My favorite styles are: symphonic/progressive, gothic and black metal. Also symph/prog rock.
My four favorite bands are: Dimmu Borgir, The Gathering, Dream Theater, Marillion and Porcupine Tree.

My favorite band used to be Toto. I still like them and it's good music, but I now use it to fall asleep with. ;) After that I learned Marillion and Saga and moved on to the progressive stuff. That then graduately became harder and harder, until I ended up with stuff like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. :)

Darkness
23-08-2005, 12:45
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

The Gathering

Ah, good call!
I saw them live once, in 1996 or 1997, IIRC. Damn good concert. [goodjob]

Socrates
23-08-2005, 14:58
My fav bands, in no particular order : Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, The Cure, The Clash, Radiohead. I also like Placebo, Supergrass, Joy Division, Red Hot Chili Peppers, David Bowie, etc... "It" all started for me rather late (when I was 15 or so) when I discovered the Beatles and would only listen to them. My best gigs were the last Smashing Pumpkins show in Paris (October 2000) and one of the Pixies "we're back" show in Paris (June 2004). I also happen to have personally met Mr. Billy Corgan in Paris in April this year (see my forum for details). :)

romeothemonk
23-08-2005, 15:53
My musical roots:
My musical roots started with classical and A.M. radio in the midwest. (Can you say elvis?)
It progressed through a rock period, People will laugh, but I really liked Creed. Jazz has been kind of a mainstay.
In the past 3-4 years, I have come to love Americana music. (Johnny, Willie, Merle, and George) I consider Americana music all most all non-commercial country, so everything before about 1990, and now alternative country, bluegrass, and acoustic emo.
I still appreciate real good Jazz, (Really hard to find in Rapid City), some hard rock (Favorite band in the worldd: Stavesacre), and almost any Americana music.
Seeing the propensity towards heavy rock I might recommend checking out Stavesacres Friction album.)

grahamiam
23-08-2005, 15:59
lol, I saw the Pixies in 1990 or '91 @ school in Syracuse, NY. Great show [goodjob]

My roots started with the Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Doors, and others in the mid to late '70's. Mostly influenced by my older sister's musical tastes. In the early '80's, I grew some of my own tastes, expanding in 2 different directions: blues and punk [eek]. I have many John Lee Hooker, Lightning Hopkins, Ray Charles, and Howlin' Wolfe vinyls (even delving into Johnny Cash), to go along with my Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Goverment Issue, Minor Threat, Electric Love Muffin, Replacements, Bad Brains, Husker Du albums (too many band names to remember :) ). In fact, most of the '80's I spent listening to countless blues and punk musicians, as there were quite a lot of venues for them to play in Philidelphia (my hometown).

In the 90's, after college and all the grunge I lovingly absorbed (yes, I liked most of those grunge bands listed above), I traveled a lot to East Asia, and they were mostly stuck in disco or classic rock. Grunge was still new in Taiwan (where I mostly traveled), so I had a lot of fun turning on some of my new friends there to this music. Late '90's I ended up moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, and was able to get back to those blues and punk sounds [band] Since these 2 types of music don't get a lot of play on commercial radio, I find myself always searching for independant radio stations, like WMFU.org or WXPN. In fact, I find it very hard to listen to commercial radio.

Lately, I like to stumble across music on WMFU.org, and then look up the bands and try to listen to more. Can be quite rewarding as I've been able to find bands from the last 25yrs that I completely missed like Geraldine Fibbers, Falstaff, the Turks, and too many others. Luckily, I can listen to most for free, as we can't really justify spending $15 or $20 on CD's now that we have 2 kids to care for.

Whomp
23-08-2005, 16:04
How do you make a short list?

My roots started in the mid 70's (my early teens). I attribute a lot of my tastes to a radio station in Chicago called WXRT. For instance, WXRT sponsored the Smashing Pumpkins concerts in Chicago before they were big. They always gave airtime to the not "pop" songs. They especially focused on bands in the area. For instance, they played a fair amount of Muddy Waters,
Buddy Guy, REO Speedwagon, Violent Femmes and Smashing Pumpkins. I've been to a lot of concerts because of this station.

In the 70's, I listened to a lot of REO Speedwagon, Bruce Springsteen, Boston (1st album), Zep, The Who(air guitar), Bob Marley, The Stones, Floyd, Hendrix, Lynard Skynard, Steve Miller. Disco demolition!!
In the 80's I discovered college. AC/DC, Elvis Costello, REM, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, more Zep, more Who, more Stones, The Police, The Clash, New Order, Peter Tosh, Talking Heads, U2 and Stevie Ray Vaughn.
The 90's came around and Sublime, Pearl Jam, Black Crowes, Counting Crowes, Greenday were added to that mix and of course more Zep, more Who, more Stones.
The 00's I have to admit seeing Kid Rock kareoke(sp?)a 45 minute rendetion of Sweet Home Alabama in a bar here and then seeing him live last year, he was just awesome! As well, I saw Coldplay in Montreal a few weeks ago (my gal's b-day) and I was pleasantly surprised. She wants to see them in London now.

I still listen to all of the above and still go to quite a few concerts.

Sorry for the long list.
For anyone who likes music, this SG turned into the spammiest music SG of all time. I feel responsible. [cool]

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=118412

Darkness
23-08-2005, 20:51
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

It progressed through a rock period, People will laugh, but I really liked Creed.

Why?
I've got three Creed albums in my CD rack. Good band, idiot singer...

Beam
23-08-2005, 21:30
quote:Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Goverment Issue, Minor Threat, Electric Love Muffin, Replacements, Bad Brains, Husker Du

Remember quite some of those :). Add to those the early Ramones. Double live album It's Alive with 28 songs in 50 minutes, most of them announced with

<center>1 - 2 - 3 - 4</center>

Anybody ever pogo'ed? I can assure that 100kg of bodyweight is real fun. :)

Here is a pic of my first headbanging full stereo set. [band]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2005823212643_b6x43a.jpg
45.26 KB