PDA

View Full Version : Changing names in savegames

Matrix
20-07-2005, 16:53
I decompressed a savegame and changed my name "Matrix " into "Shagrath". (Space being character 00.) The savegame was loadable, but my name wasn't changed. The change in the savegame however is confirmed.

I also noticed in a DDPP savegame I was able to find "Matrix" and "Kemal", but not "Plux" or "Redwatch", while "Plux" (Stapel) is even still alive.

How come I can't find these names while they are actually there somewhere in the savegame.

The reason I try to figure this out is so that names can be changed whenever someone gets replaced. Now I sometimes can't remember who is who!

Melifluous
20-07-2005, 17:16
I think you need to try and get hold of Gramphos man.

He was the person who created the save game decompressor. You may find that you need to do a Hex dump of the decompressed game to pull out the text.

You got a decent Hex editor?

I cant give you any more info or I may still have to kill you ;)

Melifluous

Matrix
20-07-2005, 17:33
I have Hackman Hex Editor. It's so good I can't make much out of it. [:o] But I do know how to simply edit a file. [mischief]

I'll PM Gramphos at CFC. Thanks.

Matrix
21-07-2005, 00:58
I contacted Gramphos. It appears his Civ3MultiTool (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=54689) simply covers it. [goodjob]

The only problem is the admin (map maker) has to be asked to change the names, because you are asked for the admin password when opening the save, which on itself is a good thing.