PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Civ4 game !

Socrates
11-07-2005, 15:07
[lol] [lol] [lol]

Ahem. [blush2] I'm bored as hell (<s>on holiday</s> unemployed), so I want to throw in this idea. Since I only really feel nationalistic when I drink a beer in front of a football match, I'd like this (gentle) nationalistic feeling to be part of the Civ experience. So :

What about a PBEM ala Markstar with many teams, where each team is represented by a bunch of guys from one country ? :) I know the nationalities aren't evenly represented at CDZ, but we could work around it (ie. have 2 or 3 Dutch teams ;) ). Since I don't want to do it now, and since Civ 4 is nearing completion, and since there is no World Cup before next June, I propose it to start next year. That way we'll have a few months to get used to Civ 4. Only one thing : everyone would be entailed to have merguez and beer while playing (not to mention the obvious slang we throw at other people) !! [tongue]

Errr... this is just an idea. [mischief]

digger760
11-07-2005, 15:15
sounds like a good idea. I am almost certain they will not include an "Australian" civ but i could go for the Celt, if they are still in it, since i live in Ireland.

I read about a 3x3x3 mulitplayer game in some preview somewhere so would seem they up'd the muliplayer limit a bit. With so many people in a PBEM it might not be possible to get a decent turn rate. But perhaps peoples enthusiasam of the new version, might encourage turn rate for the 1st 6 months or so.

Then again, Civ4 has to get our general approval yet.

Rik Meleet
11-07-2005, 15:29
I am Iroquois by birth. [mischief]

romeothemonk
11-07-2005, 15:54
Put me down for this. This is a good idea.
Nationalistic teams? Brilliant!
I could go for the Americans, also be German or Celts or English (heritage to way back in the day)

Ginger_Ale
11-07-2005, 16:58
Irish (Celts would be the appropriate civ) heritage, American currently.

America's traits suck though... on the other hand, you Dutchmen..

Socrates
11-07-2005, 18:06
Cool ! A little precision though : what I meant by national teams is not regarding the civs, but the team memebers' nationalities. For example, we could have a 1v1 PBEM featuring the Netherlands and England, where the Netherlands would be Kemal + Eldakkar + Matrix, and England would be anarres + DrA + Meli. But each team could use any civ they want.

But the nationality in the civ could even be better, and so an even better idea would be to mod the game so that each civ is the same (same traits and all), but only different by name (France, England, Germany...). Or even better : tweak the civs according to their respective level in football !! [groucho] I'd suggest we played in year 2000 then ! [groucho] This or I am Greek. [mischief]

Someone to bring the merguez and the beer ? :)

Ginger_Ale
11-07-2005, 19:08
Ah, I get it...

Matrix
11-07-2005, 19:08
I think it's a really neat idea! :) Best thing to do is let people post what civ they'd like to be in, and let them shift after we see the big picture.
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

[lol]

barbu1977
11-07-2005, 19:14
Since we do not know the traits of each civ in civ IV, why not pick the civ right away? Some will be happy, some less happy when the game will come out.

EDIT: X-posted

romeothemonk
11-07-2005, 19:20
I will happily play whatever I am given to the bitter end. I doubt that even a situation like being given portugal on a pangea next to Kemal's Sumeria and Anarres Iro's, and Akots Aztecs would suck that bad, as no one really would know what they are doing yet.
That being said, I will probably get slaughtered in my first few civ4 experiences, but will gladly learn all I can.

What we need is Scandinavian team [mischief]

Kingreno
11-07-2005, 21:06

Your lips seemed more Zulu when we met. [tongue]

akots
11-07-2005, 21:22
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk
... I will probably get slaughtered in my first few civ4 experiences, but will gladly learn all I can.

May be not. After I've got Civ 3 and read the manual, I was able to win my very first game on Emperor on a first standard map without any problems. It was unpatched and took me 5 or 6 hours (I have not figured out how to turn off governors). Then, however, I had my butt handled to me on a plate in a couple of Deity games. Then, I read over the internet about the multiple bugs and decided to wait for the patch.

Don't think Civ4 would be more difficult than Civ3.

akots
11-07-2005, 21:26

And I'm a dinosaur. 10 shields cost, requires 2 grassland, attack 20, defence 20, fire lethal land/sea bombard 20, move 5 tiles over any terrain including sea and air. Anti-air defence depends on belching experience which is obtained by consuming cows on enemy territory.

Grille
11-07-2005, 21:29
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

But the nationality in the civ could even be better, and so an even better idea would be to mod the game so that each civ is the same (same traits and all), but only different by name (France, England, Germany...). Or even better : tweak the civs according to their respective level in football !! [groucho] I'd suggest we played in year 2000 then ! [groucho] This or I am Greek. [mischief]

Hmm, civ... [whatsthis] Germany... tweak... football.[hmm]

Will there be a trait like "fortunate" which delivers good RNG numbers? :D

Socrates
12-10-2005, 23:25
Well, France is qualified for the World Cup at last. [:o] So this idea is still in the air for me... [groucho] I need to gather some Frenchies at CDZ now.