PDA

View Full Version : "High-Visibility Low-Clutter" resources.pcx

DrAlimentado
04-05-2003, 01:38
Following on from the discussion (somewhere round here... but I'm buggered if I know where...) on good graphics mods I d/loaded the "quickview" resouces.pcx but found it to be a bit too much screen clutter for my liking. I thought it was a good concept though, so I botched this together last night:

With Outline:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/dralimentado/200355203119_resourcesOL.jpg
25.35 KB

I should point out the stuff in the top left corners is other peoples work, I have just added the small bonus indicators.

here it is to grab if you want it:
icon_paperclip.gif resourcesOLv2.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/dralimentado/200355202813_resourcesOLv2.zip)
11.67 KB

link for GOTMv1 compliant beta (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/resourcesGOTMv1.1_fixed.pcx) (no bonus icons, smaller strat/lux icons)

link for GOTMv2 compliant beta (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/resourcesGOTMv2_fixed.pcx) (with bonus icons and smaller strat/lux icons)

I'll stick some previews in when I get a moment.

and in case you want to add the bonus indicators to a different resources.pcx here is the bonus layer only:
icon_paperclip.gif resources_lowclutterOL_overlayONLYv2.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/dralimentado/20035601321_resources_lowclutterOL_overlayONLYv2.z ip)
2.75 KB

bonus layer only:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/dralimentado/20035601551_resources_lowclutterOL_overlayONLY.jpg

[EDIT: posted v2!!! now with icons in straight lines!!]
[EDIT2: added version with outlines]
[EDIT3: fixed wrong shields on furs/wrong food on game! [:O] removed original no-outlines version cos I couldnae be bothered to fix it...]
[EDIT4: Added GOTM beta versions]

Aggie
04-05-2003, 08:07
This is looking very very good! I had the same problem as you had with the "quickview" resources. Downloading it right now.

Melifluous
04-05-2003, 10:56
Using these now, just what I have been looking for..

Could do with the extra food symbol being a different colour, keeps dissappearing with plains as a background, but fucking good job Dr.A.
What do you use to amend the pcx files?

melifluous

DrAlimentado
04-05-2003, 14:49
I'm having the same prob with the food icon... I'm gonna try out your idea of using green Meli, and also maybe an outline, I'll see which I like better :)

Oh, PaintShopPro for all my pic editing.

DrAlimentado
04-05-2003, 15:19
As I've posted it on cfc I'll post it here,

Just the bonus overlay (for adding to your own resources.pcx): REMOVED-get fixed version from first post.

And why not, a preview:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/resources_lowclutter_overlayONLY.jpg

DrAlimentado
04-05-2003, 17:24
After some tinkering I have added outlines to make the icons more visible. New version added to first post.

Aggie
04-05-2003, 17:34
Great work!

anarres
04-05-2003, 18:13
I've just downloaded both, I think I prefer the outline version, it's very clear. :)

DrAlimentado
04-05-2003, 19:01
Exstensive testing (hehe) reveals the outline version to be far superior :)

Melifluous
04-05-2003, 19:20
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

Exstensive testing (hehe) reveals the outline version to be far superior :)

[rotfl]

sounds like my programming standards ;)

Melifluous

DrAlimentado
04-05-2003, 20:00
you actually have standards!! you're well ahead of me ;)

DrAlimentado
06-05-2003, 00:22
umm, anarres pointed out that furs only have +1 shield, and game has +2 food... me stupid [scratch]. me fixed now.

Aggie
06-05-2003, 07:59
Now I now why I lost from Jack Merchant: I got the wrong info from the quickview. Sorry Dr Alimentado, I am desperately looking for reasons...

DrAlimentado
06-05-2003, 22:09
nice try Aggie ;)

But seriously, if you want to blame me for your loss I'd go for the map being unfair, that's a much stronger case [tongue]

Melifluous
06-05-2003, 22:45

nice try Aggie ;)

But seriously, if you want to blame me for your loss I'd go for the map being unfair, that's a much stronger case [tongue]

But if you get a decent map maker then you know your map will be fair...

[:o] [:o] [:o]

(Me and the dam triplets)

Melifluous

Aggie
06-05-2003, 23:10
[no] "I'm not to blame, it was the map-maker".

PS. I have the utmost respect for you map-makers. What would life be without you?

Aggie
06-05-2003, 23:12
Sorry about that threadjacking. I downloaded the latest 'patch' of your release. I already had people at CFC asking me were I got them.

DrAlimentado
07-05-2003, 00:25
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Melifluous

yeah, but I made the map [satan]

*ignores easy triple blowjob joke opportunity*

DrAlimentado
07-05-2003, 00:32
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

...I already had people at CFC asking me were I got them.

those would be lazy people [yeah] I posted the .pcx at cfc simultaneously to posting them here!

Melifluous
07-05-2003, 00:35

Melifluous

yeah, but I made the map [satan]

*ignores easy triple blowjob joke opportunity*

You met the dahm triplets?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=240

hehe

Melifluous [:o] [:o] [:o]

DrAlimentado
07-05-2003, 03:01
only in my dreams.... [groucho]

col
07-05-2003, 08:23
Meli's back on his favourite topic again, I see...... :rolleyes:

DrAlimentado
12-05-2003, 21:29
Umm, I suppose I ought to state there has been some controversey regarding the use of this mod. Rather than rehash it all here if you are curious go read these threads:

This thread in the 'Graphics Modpacks' forum (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52424)

This thread in the GOTM forum (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52993)

I personally intend to carry on using my original mod, although I will need to check this is okay with all future pbem opponents. If/when I provide a GOTM complient mod I will make it available here too.

Aggie
12-05-2003, 21:39
I read the thread and thought that Cracker had a point, but over-reacted. I will gladly use your GOTM-complient version. But until then your original remains my choice.

Melifluous
13-05-2003, 08:58

I read the thread and thought that Cracker had a point, but overreacted. I will gladly use your GOTM-complient version. But until then your original remains my choice.

Over-reacted? [crazyeye]

Thats like saying lava is a bit hot...

[rotfl]

Melifluous

Aggie
13-05-2003, 09:05

I read the thread and thought that Cracker had a point, but over-reacted. I will gladly use your GOTM-complient version. But until then your original remains my choice.

Over-reacted? [crazyeye]

Thats like saying lava is a bit hot...

[rotfl]

Melifluous

I'm going to try that lava-thing out! I'm planning to climb the Etna next week [fdevil]

Melifluous
13-05-2003, 09:10

I'm going to try that lava-thing out! I'm planning to climb the Etna next week [fdevil]

Cool!

Can you leave me all your stuff?
CFC password etc?

Melifluous

;)

Aggie
13-05-2003, 09:17
Meli,

Good idea. I'll give it to a friend of mine. He'll mail you my password in case I don't return from the experiment. [tongue]

Is this threadjacking ? [:o]

ProPain
13-05-2003, 10:57
Leaving your CFC password, you'll find yourself banned from CFC on return buddy. We'll spam the place [fdevil]

Lt. Killer M
13-05-2003, 11:13
Why og why does this remind me of the PM i got from cracker (of all people!) about my sig being too long...... [rolleyes]

Shabbaman
13-05-2003, 13:36
Hey Dr. A., this would make a great signature: "Unfortunately Dr. Alimentado, your actions here are irresponsible and harmful to others."

[lol]

Anyway, flaming and trolling goes in the OT zone.

Melifluous
13-05-2003, 17:00
I still think that this is a must have MOD...

GOTM compliant or not...

MAKE IT STICKY!!!

Melifluous

DrAlimentado
13-05-2003, 20:28
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Hey Dr. A., this would make a great signature: "Unfortunately Dr. Alimentado, your actions here are irresponsible and harmful to others."

[lol]

Anyway, flaming and trolling goes in the OT zone.

hehe, I can confess that for a short time my custom title said "bringer of harm and evil" and then "evil ***der" but I decided I didn't want to be the aggressor and changed it back to good old 'chieftan'.

DrAlimentado
14-05-2003, 01:36
Right, I've posted two GOTM complient beta versions in the GOTM thread linked above. I've yet to recieve any official word on whether there acceptable but check them out if you want :)

As soon as there 'officially accepted' I'll post them here and in my mod thread at cfc.

Aggie
14-05-2003, 08:27
Dr A, you do a very good job in trying to get a GOTM version of the mod :) I find it a little disappointing that they don't react on your efforts in that topic.

col
14-05-2003, 10:42
Give them time - there is a lot going on behind the scenes and they have their hands full.

ProPain
15-05-2003, 09:00
well, just typing/saying 'I'm sorry for overreacting, thanks for the effort to adjust your mod to comply with GOTM rules' takes about 30 secs...

(and that's me typing, someone with decent typing skills will probably do that faster.)

Lt. Killer M
15-05-2003, 11:38
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

well, just typing/saying 'I'm sorry for overreacting, thanks for the effort to adjust your mod to comply with GOTM rules' takes about 30 secs...

it is swallowing his pride..... I guess h first needs to cook it for a few days, then slice it into tiny parts.... something so large will then take time eating......

ProPain
15-05-2003, 13:04
[lol] Reminds me of the Fear Factor television show where people are eating all kind of gross stuff (eyeballs, horserectum, live worms) just to win $50K.

Must be the same feeling.....

DrAlimentado
15-05-2003, 13:45
Killer - I think you are right ;)

But that's cool, it's just silly more than anything else! I feel I have already done my bit in offering the olive branch but if I get some kind of public apology or acknowledgment of some sort from him I will be entirely gracious and humble, cos that's my nature.

And let me thank all of you for the show of support (here and at cfc) [thumbsup] (I would list names, but dam, there's too many of you! You know who you are ;))

DrAlimentado
07-06-2003, 14:33
added GOTMv1 and v2 to first post.

Aggie
12-12-2003, 05:46
I really like your "bonus layer only" mod. Any chance on an updated version for Conquests?

tunerica
12-02-2004, 06:08
I can see what everyone is raving about, just put it on and can see every much easier now, finding resources I didn't even know were there in my current game.

Aggie
12-02-2004, 07:26
quote:Originally posted by tunerica

I can see what everyone is raving about, just put it on and can see every much easier now, finding resources I didn't even know were there in my current game.

Seeing things much easier is the point of the mods. That is not the issue. Seeing the icons sticking out of the fog of war IS the reason why people are complaining...some of them...one of them.