PDA

View Full Version : What was wrong last yesteday/night?

ProPain
29-06-2005, 11:57
Obviously we got the 'log in'box error again last night. This was combined with the DNS not resolving issue in the morning. NOt sure if these 2 are related but we're looking into it.

- DNS not resolving:
clearly an issue with UKReg (domain holder) and it has nothing to do with our dedicated server. We'll be moving domains just like anarres announced in the 'ISP & arse' thread in this forum.

- The log in box.
This is a weird error that's occuring on our server. For some reason once in a while the 'anonymous client', the one we all use when we surf CDZ gets robbed of it's reading rights. Obviously: no reading rights, no access, no CDZ. What's causing this is a complete mystery. We only experience this on CDZ, not on the other sites that are hosted on this server. Could be the forum software not cooperating with W2003SE, but that's a wild guess. We plan to install some IIS patches asap and hopefully that will solve the problem. Anarres and me spent a few hours on this issue last night, we still dont know the cause.

On top of that there's a weird side effect: ftp is not working for us anymore. For some reason the server doesnt allow us to ftp to CDZ. Again, god only knows what's causing this, but password resets arent fixing it. Very annoying as we need ftp to upload avatars and such.

We also realise we, your admins, havent been around as much as we should lately. We talked about this and have some ideas how to solve the problems that arise from our absence. More about that soon, but know we're working on it all.

PP and anarres

anarres
29-06-2005, 12:43
Just to update with more info: Somehow we lost some permissions on the directory structure, cause as yet unconfirmed. This was causing the site to ask for a user/pwd.

The one saving grace is that if this happens again it's a 2 min fix this time as we know what is wrong.

The DNS issue is a seperate one and should be permanently resolved in a couple of weeks.

Melifluous
29-06-2005, 16:33
Just to add a few bits of info for ya Propain.

Whilst investigating the original Login Box problem, I did manage to get that fishy site to do the same...

Just so that you dont think that it's something peculiar to CDZ :)

Melifluous

anarres
29-06-2005, 16:46
Hey Mel, come online in 10 mins after my cig (just going...) and I'll tell you what happened.

Nice fix for fishinacage btw, it actually helped me work out what was wrong when I saw how you fixed it. :)

Melifluous
29-06-2005, 18:06
Can I use the word r0><3r in a geeky discussion?

Cos I do you know ;)

Melifluous

Melifluous
29-06-2005, 18:07
Oh and I fixed the ftp too [:P]

Melifluous

ProPain
29-06-2005, 18:13
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

Just to add a few bits of info for ya Propain.

Whilst investigating the original Login Box problem, I did manage to get that fishy site to do the same...

Just so that you dont think that it's something peculiar to CDZ :)

Melifluous

So apparently it didnt happen by itself [lol]

Still I think it's forum related as 'the fishy site' uses snitz as well. CTmanager.com doesnt and didnt have the problem.

Melifluous
29-06-2005, 19:16
Hey!

Uncalled for, I heard how well you got on with fixing the FTP from anarres, so dont even go there ;)

I blame that web interface thingy personally, after Col that is of course ;)

Melifluous