PDA

View Full Version : Playing cards, ...

Grille
02-05-2003, 00:39
... how do you hold a bunch of cards in your hand? [scratch]
What is the order you (probably) automatically choose, on which side (left or right when you look at the cards in your hand) is the whole face of a card visible? This order might not be clear to you until you really try diversify the cards on your hand (but maybe you can also imagine how you'd put the cards). [crazyeye] My apologies for being strange, but I'm very curious about this.
Personally, I can see the whole face of the card that is put on the left. This order is annoying when the card's values are only printed on the top left and bottom right corner of a card. But in Germany, by standart most editions of cards come with values in every corner of a card, thus the order of holding them doesn't matter. Most people I met seem to prefer the reverse order of mine (btw, regardless if they are right or left hander). May I ask for your automatically chosen, "favourite" order?
Please also state, if your card game's values are printed in certain corners of a card. Thanks a lot for participation!!! [happy] [thumbsup]

DrAlimentado
02-05-2003, 01:34
what a strange and curious question... ([crazyeye] indeed ;))

I hold them so the card on the right is fully visible, and my cards have values on the top left and bottom right corner only.

anarres
02-05-2003, 01:50
Card on left is visible. I am also left handed. [thumbsup]

digger760
02-05-2003, 07:50
hmmm, kinda similar to the question which ball hangs lower[?]

Aggie
02-05-2003, 07:51
The card on the left is visible. Í'm left-handed, but I hold the cards in my right hand [eek]

Anarres: so we are both left-handed and republican! For the ones shocked by this info: http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=302

ERIKK
02-05-2003, 08:16
I am right but keep cards in the left hand so my thumb is on the most left card (from the cards in the hand). I toss/throw the cards with my right hand.

EDIT: thumb is on the far right card, none if fully visible IMO!

prettyvacant
02-05-2003, 08:59
Intriguing.

I'm right handed, hold cards in RH and the card on far right is fully visible. Lay cards with left - unsurprisingly. Cards have numbers and suits in TL and BR only - unless I am playing with round cards which have values in all four "corners" (well they are printed four times anyway)

prettyvacant
02-05-2003, 09:00
quote:Originally posted by digger760

so the question is which hand do you hold you ball in?

col
02-05-2003, 11:03
I play cards pretty seriously - I play in national bridge competitions 'n' stuff - and have been known to win competitions. Playing with a partner against 2 others is a whole different ball game to playing any game on your own. Anyone fancy a game of 2 v 2 civ??

I'm constantly amazed at how slow some people are to sort their hands. It takes me about 3 or 4 seconds to have the cards suited and in order. They fan them all out then slowly pull one card out, look then put it back and repeat this for several minutes. I sort as I look at each card placing it into the right position. Some folks need a better algorithm.

Aggie
02-05-2003, 11:17
@col: Bridge is great. Unfortunatelly you need 4 people to play, and I now know only three. Do you know a great bridge game on the PC?

col
02-05-2003, 12:49
I use GIB. (Ginsberg Intelligent Bridge) I havent had it very long but it does play a good standard. I always have it on my laptop when I travel. It plays the cards better than it bids like all bridge software. I bought it over the net straight from their website.

Aggie
02-05-2003, 14:42
Thanks Col. I'm certainly going to check it out.

digger760
02-05-2003, 15:23
quote:Originally posted by prettyvacant

quote:Originally posted by digger760

so the question is which hand do you hold you ball in?

Depends if i'm playing tennis or cricket

ProPain
06-05-2003, 11:56
Card on the right for me. But why on earth would you wanna know this??????????

Grille
06-05-2003, 22:59
Well, I love playing cards. Canasta, Romme, ... ans especially "Doppelkopf" (4 player) and "Skat" !!! [cool] I have no idea if "Skat" is known to you (?). It's a 3-player game with 32 cards; but w/ a group of 4, you play w/ an alternating dealer, as a single round is done fast. I've been playing since I was a kid and in those days, the dealer used to spy the cards of a participant. Dealer:"May I have a look?" - So a bunch of cards changed hands... and that fucking spleen was born. I noticed that I had to re-sort my cards when someone spied them - as said, I'm in the minor (?) lefty group, right hander btw. I guess it's one of those phenomena you can't get rid of when you got in contact with in childhood - like women's front armaments... [groucho]
I can't really say why I want to know - but it's just interesting.
For that individual sorting order, I guess it's something about learning behaviour. Or coincidence w/ ball hanging style, tennis or cricket affection, card values in corners... maybe the way you open a door (I could spam another poll...). Think I'll read psychology stuff about learning behaviour some time. If that's unsatisfying, I'll read about spleens... [lol]
[nurseBigShot] [lol]