PDA

View Full Version : Job at risk

Beam
31-05-2005, 15:48
It was already announced that my company was going to "rationalize" staffing, it was still an unpleasant surprise when my manager called me this morning. I'll get a proposal to leave. No one understands why (other than some headcount officer in the US looking at his European numbers). The group I'm working in is short of people, I am on a project, annual reviews have been good and nature of work is in line with my level.

My manager also couldn't give any good motivation over the phone so I asked him to e-mail it as I am planning to challenge it.

Since I do not have any problem on the current project I decided to keep on working there, the Project Manager wants to keep me there and also understands that I might be less effective for the coming period of time.

This really is bookkeeping at its worst and the way they deal with people is a shame.

Some of you know the name of the company I'm working for, for the time being I'd very much appreciate NOT to mention that name here as we are still talking with each other.

Lt. Killer M
31-05-2005, 16:23
beam, that sucks!

They tried to do that to a friend of mine, luckily for him they had a large consulting firm in the offices at that time. They told the hoke office rather directly to INCREASE staff.

I hope they wisen up some!

ERIKK
31-05-2005, 16:34
I know the company you work for!

If it is a collective action then the fact that you are profitable wont work. With my company we had the same things going on. Good people making a lot of money for the company got fired and customers were very upset! Some workers were detached at customers and the next day they were gone!

It's hard to explain... It's pure shortsighted bookkeeping.

Pastorius
31-05-2005, 16:45
IMO, any profitable unit of labour should be kept, unless a firm faces a serious crisis of some sort.

If the firm's costs rise to a level which calls for laying off labour, then it would be rational to get rid of the least productive units first. Normally, you remove those who represent a higher cost to you than the revenue they are generating.

But I see more and more evidence that this is not either the short term or medium to long term strategy for firms today. To the extent that I ve looked at dynamic models for profit maximization, it has been argued that under cost benefit analysis, you should keep the parts of a firm that generates positive profit and reform the parts of the firm that generates 0 or negative profits.

So unless your company faces some difficulties that are to be considered serious, I think this whole cutdown is moronic.

if we also look at company value - then as ERIKK says, customer relations are worsened, which is reflected in company value declining. Thus the medium to long term impact of such a reduction can actually have net negative impact, even though wage cost is reduced.

From a personal POV, this sucks Beam. I know labour market is somewhat better for skilled labour than for unskilled labour, but I do hope you work something out.

Beam
31-05-2005, 17:23
From what I've heard and seen they did not even bother to make a proper evaluation of which parts of the company are running ok or bad.

Thanks for the support ppl, we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Shabbaman
31-05-2005, 17:53
Wow this sucks big time Beam! Good luck with it.

Rik Meleet
31-05-2005, 18:20
That must be a blow to your face.... :(

Matrix
31-05-2005, 19:04
The bigger the company, the weirder the stories. [rolleyes]

Good luck, Beam!

Kingreno
31-05-2005, 19:47
wow Beam that sucks bigtime.[cry]

keep us posted!

ProPain
31-05-2005, 21:08
Damn Beam, that stinks! Hope you'll find another job quickly!

Darkness
31-05-2005, 21:29
Damn! That sucks! :(

akots
31-05-2005, 22:55
[sad]

Melifluous
31-05-2005, 23:15
2 words.

Industrial Tribunal.

Take the fuckers to court, organise pickets, publish internal emails on the internet [groucho]

Melifluous

Beam
01-06-2005, 11:10
Spoke with a number of people yesterday and today and although I do not have all hard facts together yet it seems to be challengable. [charge] [charge] [charge]

Lt. Killer M
01-06-2005, 12:40
hehe, good, [estwing]!

Beam
02-06-2005, 20:20
Had the meeting this morning where my manager explained the motivation for this move and the process. First of all: his motivation is as soft as butter and that's what I told him friendly yet firmly. [estwing] [estwing] [estwing] All verifyable facts can easily be countered or questioned. The soft stuff ("the future") is real soft, manager told me not everybody likes me in this company which makes it harder to get me on projects. [lol] Well, if you know somebody who has been working in a company for many years and is still liked by everybody that person is either unique or a pimp.

The process: I got 4 weeks to think about voluntary leave for a lumpsum (a reasonable one by the way, although I am considering to request a lux and a tech in addition [evil] if I opt for it). If I don't accept and don't have a project (which I have, bossie was presented the customer signed contract) I'll be made redundant or an improvement plan made (which is the most likely course of action and the ones I know are a joke [rotfl] ).

Bottomline: I got options with some manageable risks. Meantime it is a matter of thinking things over and building a case.

Keep you informed, thanks for the support!

Pastorius
02-06-2005, 20:34
Once again, I must say: Beat em up Scotty ;)

Lt. Killer M
02-06-2005, 21:16
yep, this is proper use of my estwing smiley! Hammer them!

Beam
24-06-2005, 01:13
Meeting today: [estwing] [estwing]. Bossy committed to have answers on a couple of questions to facilitate my decision process by next meeting Tuesday. He also is aware there is a major fuck-up in his argumentation for putting me on the program by any fucking baseline. Informed him how judges in the Netherlands look at this kind of stuff. Bossy is nervous. Told him my options are open. Bossy seems to be greedy to get his target. Stay tuned on this channel.

Rik Meleet
24-06-2005, 01:35
Sound like your "Bossy" is what Geert Mak refers to here: http://www.rationelepolitiek.nl/economie/managen_en_vakkennis_luyten.htm

Beam
30-06-2005, 21:00
Last Tuesday was the final and negotiation meeting. In other words: for how much money would you leave for sure, we know we can't force you out. I did some maths with them and came with a very nice and much higher number. They promised to present both the maths and the number to the committee deciding on an improved offer. Since I knew my counterparts could not make the deal themselves (which is a screwed up process by itself because negiotiating with the decision maker usually results in a better deal) I put my bottomline (as I presented it) quite high on purpose not really expecting it to happen. Got that confirmed yesterday.

By that time there were 3 secured base options:
- Accept the original offer and leave
- Stay in current job and see what happens when my current project assignment is over
- Move to another job within the company (the least detailed of the three but supported by enough people to make it a valid option)

Last night was decision making time. Since 2 of the options include staying at current employer I threw in what I'd learned how the company plans to develop itself over the coming 6 months. Without going into detail this mental exercise (which is, like any plan, an educated guess) resulted into a most likely very demotivating environment by the end of this year.

So decided for the first option and see to maximize it. In brief (today was pretty hectic) we agreed to split the difference. I'll sign tonight and by the 1st of Sep. I am a free man and I don't have any hard feelings about it. :) Meantime my project boss is doing everything to hire me back as a contractor. ;) Which atm isn't very likely agreed upon by the company but that could change.

Q: can some of the Dutch here suggest a Cellphone provider with good national coverage at a reasonable price? Prepay or subscription?

Beam
30-06-2005, 21:34
Just reread the post, I completely missed out what I have in mind for the future.

Basically I'd like a job which still is challenging but is guaranteed within travelling distance of less than half an hour allowing some form of RL social life during the week. Don't mind if it pays a little less compared to my current job. Don't care about a lease car and all the other shiny stuff. The only reason I've been negotiating hard and look for the contractor job is to create the financial buffer is to find the job I'm looking for. ;)

Shabbaman
30-06-2005, 22:09
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Q: can some of the Dutch here suggest a Cellphone provider with good national coverage at a reasonable price? Prepay or subscription?

Try the "belwijzer" (http://www.bellen.com/) to find out what suits you best and then telecomvergelijker (http://www.telecomvergelijker.nl/) to look where you can get that the cheapest.

A guy with your experience should be able to find a decent job again, me thinks. Good luck with it (and with the yacht ;) )!

ERIKK
30-06-2005, 22:18
Wow, soon Beam is a rich man!

Hope you get a new job soon but I have no worries on that at all... ;)

Congrats!

Kingreno
30-06-2005, 22:19
Good to hear you are doing ok Beam! I hope you'll find a job that fits your wishes, [goodjob]

Matrix
01-07-2005, 00:25
I second Kingreno. :)

About cell phone: I had KPN/Hi and have T-Mobile and have to say I'm very content about T-Mobile! Always coverage (even in Denekamp! [eek]), good service and fair prices.

PrePay is for people with no friends.

digger760
01-07-2005, 09:53
quote:
PrePay is for people with no friends.

Hey!! i use pre-pay. Your mind has been conditioned by the phone company to spend money[hammer]. Basically for me the phone is for emergency use only, no other need for it. If i wanna talk to my friends i'll do it latter from the land line, in a far more relaxed environemnt or over a beer in person.

Matrix
01-07-2005, 10:27
I knew someone would take the bite, though not so soon. :D

grs
01-07-2005, 16:06
Good luck on finding a new job soon Beam. Having negotiated a high sum as a buffer was a wiser move than staying where they didn't want you any longer, so I'd say at least.

Beam
01-07-2005, 17:43
Indeed grs, and that's exactly how I feel atm. :)

An announcement today confirmed my line of thought for the decision making and I got quite a number of collegues on the phone who were disappointed to see me go but fully understand my decision, even more because most make the same assessment of what is going to happen.

Swingue
01-07-2005, 19:06
Good luck finding the new job. Maybe you can help PP create his kindergarten?
Anyways, always welcome for a cup of coffee at our office.
(you will be able to see that we don't only play games at CQ). ;)

Beam
01-07-2005, 21:24
Would be nice Swingue, both PP and you already told me some about your kind of business. Would be interesting to see some of it in reality. I can bring my laptop for a LAN game of course. ;)

Rik Meleet
04-08-2005, 12:23
Have you set up your own business, Beam ??

http://www.beaminventions.com

http://www.beaminventions.nl/images/candlepads_rood.gif -> http://www.beaminventions.nl/index.php?page=candlepads&lang=en

Beam
13-08-2005, 15:09
Finally approval I can be hired as contractor! [dance]

Already thinking about the name of the new company and the related domain name. Anybody knows where .com, .net, .nl can be registered cheap? TIA.

Rik Meleet
13-08-2005, 17:24
Try the "Stichting Internet Domeinregistratie Nederland"
http://www.sidn.nl

Beam
07-09-2005, 21:44
Last week everything finally came together. I'm my own boss now! Secure contract until end of year and a strong commitment for extension.

Not a lot has changed as a matter of fact, it just is different from a financial perspective.

Past couple of weeks were pretty hectic, hopefully things are going to settle from now on. :)

Rik Meleet
07-09-2005, 21:44
What is your business doing ?

Beam
07-09-2005, 23:28
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

What is your business doing ?

Selling Civ III tips and tricks. ;)

Besides that consulting services in the areas I've always been working in and see if something can be build in sailing.

ProPain
08-09-2005, 23:15
Congratulations Beam!

When you feel lonely working alone, you're always welcome in Veenendaal. And don't hesitate to call should you need some help/advise with the formalities of starting your own business. (or just to complain about dutch taz services :))

Pastorius
09-09-2005, 09:26
D000d!!!!! serious w00t4ge

m33 h4ppy for u.

Now, who do you think will win speedskating overall this coming season?

Pastorius
09-09-2005, 09:31
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Try the "belwijzer" (http://www.bellen.com/) to find out what suits you best and then telecomvergelijker (http://www.telecomvergelijker.nl/) to look where you can get that the cheapest.

A guy with your experience should be able to find a decent job again, me thinks. Good luck with it (and with the yacht ;) )!

"belwijzer"? telecomvergelijker? [confused][crazyeye]

Darkness
09-09-2005, 09:59
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Internetsites which compare phone-rates from various providers in the Netherlands...

Shabbaman
09-09-2005, 11:06
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

STFU n00b

Pastorius
09-09-2005, 14:50
[lol]

Beam
09-09-2005, 17:17
th4x p447 :)

m3 t1nx 1 0f d y4nx