PDA

View Full Version : Cryptograms

Ginger_Ale
30-05-2005, 16:25
Recently I finished a book called Digital Fortress about cryptography (breaking codes), and I stumbled upon this funky little website that makes up a couple line codes that you solve.

Some of you here might enjoy them so here is the link to the site: http://teppo.tv/cryptogram/

What I do is write down how many times each number (representing a letter) appears. Then, compare it with this letter frequency chart here: http://www.ultrasw.com/pawlowski/brendan/freqs_a2f.html#English . And see if any match ... also write down if there are any double letters (ie; 3445 means 4 is A, E, O, S, etc... any letters than can be back to back). Also, S is lots of time a last letter in a word, so keep that in mind. Single numbers will either be an A or an I, so count how many times it appears as a % to the whole letter amount in the cryptogram and if it's pretty high, it's probably an A if it appears a lot. Keep in mind apostraphes too. "4'5" is probably "I'm", so then if you see "3" by itself, you know it isn't I, so it must be A. It's all a chain reaction ... have some fun, post screenshots if you will. It's a good brain challenge. :D

Pastorius
30-05-2005, 16:34
My brain hurts.

Probably better to try this when I do not have a cold, a fever and a headache.

Nice thing to do to spend some time and work those greys up there though [goodjob]

Gogf
02-06-2005, 22:19
These are usually pretty fun, but I don't have time for this one now. Will remember to do this later though.

You've said a lot about this book lately, it sounds good. I think I'll read this :).

ProPain
03-06-2005, 13:42
I;m reading a book on cryptography atm. Very interesting as it describes historical developments in cryptogrophy and cryptoanalysis. Starts with the 'simple' letter replacement you see here, which apparently was invented by Julius Ceasar, and progresses to more advanced methods and how they were 'cracked' (if they were).

I'll post the title when I get home.

PP

ProPain
08-06-2005, 00:47
The book is called 'Code' and the author is Simon Singh.

I'm halfway now and it comes highly recommended, nice mix of the actual 'mechanics' of cryptography and cryptoanalysis livened up with historicaly important events like how the German Enigma was cracked.

Ginger_Ale
08-06-2005, 03:22
That boook is very good. I read it a year or so ago after I got it from the library. The end goes onto more modern methods of public key encryption iirc.

Melifluous
08-06-2005, 16:42
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

... how the German Enigma was cracked.

Wasn't that sloppiness on the part of the Germans?

They used the same key a few times?

That sort of thing deserves to get broken. Codes are good, users are not...

Melifluous