PDA

View Full Version : Travel in Bavaria and Alsace

barbu1977
11-05-2005, 13:07
I'm back from a 10 day trip in Bavaria and Alsace.

If the trip itinerary might sound strange, it is because my girlfriend had a business trip in Munich that finished on Friday April 29th and we had a wedding to attend to in Strasbourg on Thursday May 5th.

So Saturday we went to the Deuches Museum. Great museum, although some of the more advanced exposition (like the structure of the atom, and the chemistry laboratory equipment from the past where only in German. After that, we had a little walk in Marienplatz and the English garden.

Sunday, we went to the Dachau concentration camp memorial. We where lucky to be there on the 60th anniversary of the liberation. We saw many liberators and ex-prisoners. Nice place to remember. The memorial part of it was more important than the museum part. I'm glad we took a guided tour. Afterwards, we hoped to the Schloss Nymphenberg and Olympic stadium.

Monday: .Garmisch-Partenkirchen (city if the 1936 winter games) and the Zugspitze
(highest mountain in Germany) Going up there is expensive, but worth the price.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200551113339_DSCN1443.JPG
22.85KB

Thuesday: Car to Freiburg with small visits to the Otobueren Abbey and Lindau.

Wednesday: Walk in Freiburg (not realy worth it), Car ride in the black forest (realy worth it) Too bad that when we got to belchen (apparently a great scenic spot) rain started poring and the mountain was in the clouds. We left early, we were invited by the bride’s father for diner (very good Flammekueche )

Thursday : Tour of Strasbourg in the rain. And the weding.

Friday : Wedding brunch and visit of the Haut Konigsberg medieval castle. This was my first medieval castle. (well restored in 1900) there are probably better ones left in Austria, but I found it pretty interesting and the view was spectacular.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200551113448_DSCN1606.JPG
32.39KB

Saturday: another visit of Strasbourg under the clouds (we took the boat tour that we found no good). Strasbourg is a very nice city to walk in. And the Cathedral is really something to see. After that, we drove to Stuttgart for the Football game. (not that I follow what is going on in german Football, but on vacation, I always like to go to a local sporting event. You get to see the people away from the tourists). Stuttgart missed millions of chances to score. Fortunately for them, they scored at the 88th minute to win and stay third in the league. I really enjoyed the experience.
After the game we drove to Hohenschwangau town of the New Castle arived tired at 21h (rain poured all the drive)

Sunday: Visit of Ludwig II royal castles Hohenschwangau, Neuschwanstein and Linderhof. Nice visit.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/200551113531_DSCN1654.JPG
32.4KB

Monday : Back to Montréal.

Nice trip. Realy liked Germany and Germans. Unfortunatly, it turned out to be quite expensive with the cost of Euro to the Canadian $.

Pastorius
11-05-2005, 13:13
Nice pics. Those castles look awesome

barbu1977
11-05-2005, 17:18
Neuschwanstein (the white castle in the pics) is a relatively new castle (built from 1869-1886) hence not much older than the Eiffel Tower.

King Ludwig II wanted the greatest romantic castle of all time. He also decided to build a replica of Versailles.

Obviously Walt Disney got inspired by it to make Snow White's castle.