PDA

View Full Version : Site performance after move

ProPain
05-05-2005, 17:57
After reading a post by grs on server performance I;m very curious how people are experiencing server performance. Apart from the 3 day downperiod we experienced from the ISP fuck-up that is.

Personally CDZ has been stable and fast for me after the move. Pages load quickly, very very rarely a page doesnt finish. Only problems I have is not being able to get the upload amount higher and the not receiving any mails for threads I subscribed too. Last 2 points are more code/OS related than performance related.

I'd like to hear your opinions on server and site performance.

PP

Kingreno
05-05-2005, 18:06
Apart from the shit of last weekend it's speed is very good. No complaints on that. Uploadspeed is in particular great compared to the last host.
Some minor setbakcs include the inability to upload certain files, let it be due to the size or the .*** that is not allowed.

Pastorius
05-05-2005, 18:07
As I said partly commenting that post, I have had good experience, except for the already mentioned.

I ve been mostly away from CDZ since end of April though.

Mailserver has been stable since the move - and all the saves I receive are without errors.
Upload has not had hiccups that I ve noticed
Site speed is good (I have 1800k down and 512k up). Usually, this is faster than @ CFC or @ GCF. I think the site speed has improved since the server change.

Only thing that sticks out is the error message received when trying to access active users from time to time.

I receive emails when I get a pm, but not for threads.

I must comment on strange behaviour of the ative topics update. To paraphrase Col, sometimes it updates, and sometimes it does not.

This last bit is probably related to some faulty configuration in Mozilla 1.7.7 that I must have made. IE seems to work like intended with updates.

grs
05-05-2005, 21:22
Just an example of my usual CDZ visit since 2 weeks (this just happened before I wrote this):

I start the mainpage, after 30 seconds I cancel the loading, since only the logo on the top shows, but I am lucky: after cancelling I can see the link active topics too and press it. About a minute later I cancel loading the active topic list, but it is far from complete. I refresh. Some more tries and minutes later I get the full page. I click 5 links of new topics, I'd like to read. None of the broweser windows get any result. Five minutes later most of them have timed out, but suddenly one is giving a result. I press refresh on all timed out and get almost all pages I wanted (4/5). I type this message and save it in notepad in case I get a timeout when posting. Now I will press "Submit Reply".

This is real and happens regularly. It seems the server does not reply to the requests, then suddenly I get a working session and have a few seconds in which the site is very fast, then it is back to not responding. This happens since about 2 weeks in 8/10 cases.

grs
05-05-2005, 21:23
P.S: posting went fast one the first try this time.

Pastorius
05-05-2005, 21:40
grs, I think there is a topic in Computer Talk @ CFC where the process of clearing dns lists is explained. I cant fetch a link for you, since TF has ...em...disabled my posting.

It could help you afaik...

akots
05-05-2005, 21:41
I'm having sometimes similar problems as grs but only from home, never from work. And not recently, about 2-3 weeks ago. It seems that this has something to do with DNS cache of the ISP and switching of an active user to various DNS servers in real time. Might be the DNS servers get overloaded or mishandle some DNS and hence the timeout.

Grille
05-05-2005, 21:48
FWIW, I've had similar issues like grs and Shabba (who reported in the other thread).
Before and after that 3-day breakdown, I either got *occasionally* timed out or the page generation (forum main page in most cases) was just sloww. On forum main page, the logo at the top and the first forum section would usually appear immediately, but then there's a coffee break.
Weird in enough, after eventually getting the page, displayed page load was officially fine then, but like grs said, it indeed took around 30s to display the page (during generation, black-ish stuff shows instead of gfx interface items).
[dunno]

col
05-05-2005, 22:36
Fast and stable. Much improved over previous setup.

Darkness
05-05-2005, 22:53
quote:Originally posted by col

Fast and stable. Much improved over previous setup.

I agree with col. It is much better now! :)

Lt. Killer M
05-05-2005, 22:53
fast and stable, occasionally it takes a few split-seconds to connect, then all things come streaming in fast enough to take ALL my access bandwidth - given that I have a permanent uplink at the uni this is pretty damn fast :)

ProPain
06-05-2005, 01:00
Dunno if we can do anything about the DNS problem, if so please let us know.

grs
06-05-2005, 01:24
Tbh, I doubt a DNS problem. My router does not run a local DNS list and my provider would have definetely updated by now. Failing to resolve a hostname to an adress shows other characteristics, then the one I experience. I can try to access CDZ via IP adress for some days though, maybe it helps. Of course since my long message here, I don't experience any problems anymore, maybe just a bit complaining was needed :)

Matrix
06-05-2005, 01:25
It seems it's even faster now!

Markstar
06-05-2005, 09:42
I have the exact same symptoms as Grille, just that I started noticing it after the crash.
For example yesterday afternoon was really bad, 2 out of 3 times the page would not load at all, the other time it'd be really slow. Last night (~2am GMT) it was really fast again.

And yes, all other sites on the internet loaded really quickly, so it was CDZ only.

Markstar
14-05-2005, 01:42
1:40am GMT+1: After the site was extremely slow for the past 90min, I am finally able to read (and obviously post at) the forum again.

Mail also timed out sometimes during that timeframe. The rest of the internet was as quick as usual.

Edit: Site is still kinda slow, but at least it loads 1 out of 2 times now...

Rik Meleet
14-05-2005, 01:56
Just now I experience delays in page loading; up to 1 minute. Until today the site loaded fast and is stable.

Pastorius
14-05-2005, 16:14
I experienced a slight delay (part of page black while loading etc) yesterday. Didnt last very long, less than a minute iirc, and it was a 1 time experience.

Ginger_Ale
14-05-2005, 16:21
I got the slow loading page with the bottom portion black (ie; a part of the table, maybe where the avatar is for 1 post, or where the post is for one post, but then it would move onto the next table part) .. it's fine now.

Pastorius
26-05-2005, 11:03
This morning, Thunderbird says I cannot connect to CDZ-mail.

After 15 minutes, I tried again, and it worked.
Not directly related to site performance, but why create a new thread just to report a mailserver hiccup?

Pastorius
02-06-2005, 13:14
SLOOOW, and has been for 2 hours

digger760
02-06-2005, 13:19
I have not had any problems as far as i can remember since the change, and i was online alot yesterday and today with any problmes, I am not a big uploader so i can;t comment on uploads.

Markstar
02-06-2005, 14:15
For me it's also slow most of the time. Early moring is o.k., but I get time-outs quite frequently and pages sometimes take minutes to load. :(

Darkness
29-06-2005, 09:04
@PP/anarres: Was the site down after 10.30 pm (CET) last night, 'cause I tried to get on several times, and I got some error messages, including some strange one about entering a password [confused]

Kemal
29-06-2005, 09:08
I got that weird PW message as well again, can't recall an explanation given the previous time, have to say I'm curious what that is about...?

Pastorius
29-06-2005, 09:11
Saw it as well, and I am with Kemal.

anarres
29-06-2005, 12:43
See other threads here for details. :)

Markstar
29-06-2005, 12:58
Is it just me or are there a lot more problems since you guys moved CDZ to a "better" host? [???]

anarres
29-06-2005, 13:22
The DNS issue is nothing to do with the new ISP - it's the old ISP that still holds that info and it's the old ISP that fucked up. This will soon be permanently resolved.

The password box issue is something we likely caused last night on the machine, but now I know how to fix it, it shouldn't be a problem. I am also planning (during a quiet time) to find out exactly what happened (I have an idea) so it can't happen again.

AFAIK both of these issues have happened twice, but both should not happen again after a week or so.

Shabbaman
16-09-2005, 22:08
The site has been down for me since 1600 zulu or so. Any stupid bollocks ISP getting fists in arses? I see in the active topics list that there have been no posts after 25 past six tonight.

Socrates
16-09-2005, 22:10
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

The site has been down for me since 1600 zulu or so. Any stupid bollocks ISP getting fists in arses? I see in the active topics list that there have been no posts after 25 past six tonight.

It was down for myself as well, and also for DrA and ERIKK, so I suppose the site was down for everyone. It has just reopened, as can be seen in "active users". It was also down for me for a little period during the afternoon.

Rik Meleet
16-09-2005, 22:17
Down for me till about now. Downtime started for me around 18:40 (could be earlier, not sure).

Whomp
16-09-2005, 22:35
I was down since this morning 12 ish GMT.

Darkness
16-09-2005, 22:43
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

Down for me till about now. Downtime started for me around 18:40 (could be earlier, not sure).

For me as well, though IIRC it started a bit earlier, maybe 18:26 or so...

Pastorius
17-09-2005, 13:43
got some hiccups - reloading/refreshing fixed them.

ProPain
17-09-2005, 14:21
Totally missed this as I was out for diner. Wonder what it could have been, I didnt reset the server and now it seems to work properly again. I'll ask ana and Mel if they kicked the server into action again. Then I'll check the logs.

ProPain
21-09-2005, 09:42
Site was down for me this morning, again all other sites on same server were up so it's not the server but Windows or IIS that messing things up. Restarted site and application pool: works again. Still I'm in the dark whats causing this.

Tubby Rower
28-09-2005, 13:54
I get this when trying to upload a pic
quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Server at civ3duelzone.com

Also is there a way to delete uploads or do you huys want to keep them?

ProPain
28-09-2005, 16:30
Uploading 'large' pics results in this error. Dunno what it's causing. Didnt have this on the old server (implies it isnt Snitz) but the also dont encounter this problem when using VB on this server. (which implies it isnt the server) Me noob, me clueless, I think Snitz and W2K3 SE do not like each other.

Tubby Rower
28-09-2005, 17:06
The 2 pics I was tryign to upload were 204 & 203 KB. after trimming them....they went fine. thanks