PDA

View Full Version : Paris in the the spring.

Melifluous
11-04-2005, 15:59
So I've just come back from Paris.

Lovely lovely place.

WARNING - I am spelling many French places how I THINK they should be spelt, often not how they should be spelt

Caught the Eurostar from London Waterloo on Friday morning and settled down with my new book "The Da Vinci Code". Found that it's set in Paris. Not a bad book, cheered up the anti-religious side of me.

Arrive at Gare du Nord at about 11.30am and then after buying a carnet of metro tickets hit the tubes.

From there its a trip down to somink Saint-Denis and then change and 2 stops along to the Grande Boulevards. Out of the metro and my hotel is opposite. Nice one.

Staff at the entrance are very friendly. Bloke on reception looks like Sidney Poitier (didn't tell him that though).

The room was lovely, bathroom has shower and bath and a foot bath. Nice one.

So straight out around Paris and we walk to the river stopping in the BHV for a quick cheap lunch on the top floor (nice view!). From the Hotel de Ville we wander over to Notre Dame and follow the crowds inside. Some kind of ceremony going on, apprently the pope was buried that day or something.

From there we walk along the Seine to le Jardin des Plantes and we catch the Batobus (river boat) from there to le Tour Eiffel.

Christ Almighty that thing is big. Now I aint no great lover of heights but I'm going up there. Catch a lift to the first stage and have a look, its quite high up. Help someone take some photos and continue up to the second stage. Now this is getting really high. Stop for a Chocolat cos its cold up here. Next comes the scariest fuckin lift I've ever been on. It goes straight up to the top and you have a great view (yeah thanks for that) all around from the lift. I have my eyes shut for most of it. We get to the top and thank God there is like a little room here where you can look out, I dont feel so bad. I alternate between swearing at fucking rude tourists and looking out the windows.

Next we go back to the hotel and freshen up ready to find a restaurant near the hotel. Most say you need a reservation but eventually we end up in a lovely restaurant called The Kitchen near the Rue de Saint Marc. To my embarrassment we find the owner/waiter is Irish and helps us with the menu. The restuarant itself looks just like someones kitchen and we are all sat at the kitchen table.

Finish our meal at about 12.30 am and head back to the hotel.

Next morning get up and fight our way through breakfast, damned self service continental breakfasts I hate them. Then its quickly out and via the Metro again off to the Louvre. I'm still not sure about that Pyramid but its an easy way to find the entrance. Queuing takes about 15 minutes and we're off. We race through the museum straight to the Mona Lisa. It's lovely but very small and there is a massive scrum around it now that it's moved. After that wander round getting dirty looks from proper arty people as we laugh as some of the stupider paintings. Apparently laughing isn't the proper appreciation of art.

Get bored of the paintings (Oh look another brown portrait of someone we dont know) and the religious iconography. Head off to the Ancient greek/roman/Egyptian bits. Much more interesting. Bore the ass of my wife talking about first century roman conquests [:P]

Leave the Louvre at about 2pm and head for the Samaratiens (sp?) department store. Head up to the top floor (9th floor) and consider eating on the terrace but its too damn cold. Head back down to the 5th floor and have the nicest food yet. I have pumpkin and bacon soup followed by Belly Pork and my wife has a mackerel cake followed by proper blue Steak.

Only thing of concern here is the fact the staff refuse to believe we are in fact English and speak french the whole time. Je suis desole mais nous sont Anglais. No effect.

Leave here and walk from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe. Long way.

Wander around the Arc de Triomphe area a bit and find a nice street market. Buy a few bits and pieces to eat and drink and then catch the metro again at Ternes and go via Charles de Gaule Etoile back to Hotel de Ville. We have a mission to find le Chapel de Saint Sulpice and hopefully see the Rose Line.

Point of Interest - The Meredien Line wasn't always at Greenwich, we stole it from the french in 1888 aparently.

We wander over to the Notre Dame island again (sorry I dont know this islands name) and try and find a bar. hmm. wander off the island and over to the Latin Quarter. Eventually find a bar we like and realise that the road we are on is the Rue Anglais [lol]

Pay 15 Euros for 2 beers (they saw us coming) and then wander through to Saint Sulpice. We get in only to be turned out again as a private concert was planned for that evening (so the dudes in red coats with the brass instruments aren't normally there, ok). Catch the metro again from Mabillion (should have gone from Saint Germain de Pres) and eventually get back to the hotel. Leave the hotel again at 10pm to find a place to eat near Saint Sulpice.

End up in a place called le Meridien (busy on a Saturday night in Paris) and eat the worst meal in Paris yet. Still better than any English restaurant though [:P]

Just make it back to the metros at about 12.15am and get back to the hotel. Do you normally have buskers on the metro itself? Let me tell you some bloke playing the trumpet in a carriage aint fun. I prefered the 40 year old Algierian rappers personally.

Then we made it home early Sunday.

Paris is fantastic, if you havent been go.

We will be going back again to do the Louvre justice. No way we could see anywhere near all of it. Also want to see Jim Morrissons grave next time.

Thank you Krys, lovely place, love people.

Kept getting asked directions from french people though.

Do we look French?

Melifluous

col
11-04-2005, 16:06
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

So I've just come back from Paris.

Lovely lovely place.
Christ Almighty that thing is big. Now I aint no great lover of heights but I'm going up there. Catch a lift to the first stage and have a look,

Wimp - walk up the stairs and save money and time like the rest of us.

Sounds good though - did you book a package or find the hotel and stuff yourself? (Thinks - could be worth a few brownie points)

Socrates
11-04-2005, 19:46
Waoh, thanks Meli for this summary. Looks like you had a nice time here. [thumbsup] It sounds like the way I'd like to visit Paris if I were a stranger... Lemme correct your words. ;)

What is "somink" in "somink Saint-Denis" ? [???] In Saint-Denis you have the Basilique, the Stade de France, so I can't see what you mean. "Grande Boulevards" should be "Grands Boulevards". Mmmmh, looking at a metro plan reveals it was "Strasbourg Saint-Denis" !! Right inside Paris... and your trip story then makes sense.

"Hotel de Ville" should be "Hôtel de Ville", but I can't blame you for that... The accent comes from the old "s" that was kicked out at some point ("hostellerie" must be an old word). Don't forget the "-" in "Notre-Dame" and "Saint-Marc" and so on...

"Le Tour Eiffel" should be "la Tour Eiffel", since "tour" is feminin. Did not know that ? ;) Yeah I know it's more phallic than anything (see the Pixies' song about it)...

"Rue de Saint Marc" should be "Rue Saint-Marc" apparently, makes more sense...

Did you know "Mona Lisa" is called "la Joconde" in French ? Don't ask me why though...

The "Samaratiens" should be "la Samaritaine", I believe, not far from the center of Paris.

"Je suis desole mais nous sont Anglais." should be "Je suis désolé mais nous sommes Anglais (des rosbiffs ;) )."

"Charles de Gaule Etoile" is in fact "Charles de Gaulle Etoile". "Le Chapel de Saint Sulpice" should read "la Chapelle Saint-Sulpice", since a chapel is feminin (of course it is !).

Yep we had the Meridian Line in Paris, before you stole our idea... It goes through right in the middle of the Observatoire de Paris (where I studied last year).

The island where Notre-Dame stands is called "l'Ile de la Cité". It is a bit larger than its neighbouring one called "l'Ile Saint-Louis". I found your (which should read) "Rue des Anglais", a pretty small one (mwaha).

"Saint Germain de Pres" is "Saint-Germain-des-Prés".

And "Meridien" to "Méridien". Off to more interesting stuff...

Good laugh when reading about the Eiffel Tower. [lol] I'm not fond of heights either, but getting up there is a must-do.

The way through the Pyramide du Louvre is DA entrance to the Musée now. Your rush to Mona Lisa is... what they all do, right ? Billions of Chinese people, ready to invade us. [mischief] Good you left those rusty paintings to find inspiration from those shiny antic artcrafts. Should go back there more.

Seems you walked up a good part of the Rue de Rivoli and the whole Avenue des Champs-Elysées. :)

If you talked about poor people playing music in the métro, or just asking for money, well yes, the whole Parisian transportation system is full of them. It's not rare to see 3 of them in a 40-minute trip.

About the Louvre I agree. Not enough time to see it all, this is huuuuuge !!! Unless you only want to see Mona Lisa and then rush to other places, before hitting the road by bus, destination Brussels on the following day, like Chinese people do. [mischief] Rik wants to play Sherlock Holmes around the Louvre (you know which book), so let's organize something !

Jim Morrisson ? Never been to. [blush2] Shame on me.

Melifluous
11-04-2005, 20:25
La joconde? I saw this, maybe its due to the alleged subject of the picture.

A young Florence lady who went on to marry Francesco del Giocondo, and thus came to be known as ``La Gioconda'' ??

They have moved her now as well. Not to her own room as was suggested, but she has her own wall and can be walked around.

Melifluous

barbu1977
11-04-2005, 20:51
Do we look French?

If you looked like that, I'd say probably ;)
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/barbu1977/2005411203639_spam_fairy.jpg
18.71KB

Morrison’s grave is definitely not the nicest one at Père-Lachaise. It is also disturbing to see all the graffiti surrounding it. No wonder they have a security guard right besides the tomb. I guess it is worth the 0$ it costs. Be sure you have some kind of map of the cimetery because you those tombs are hard to find.

Pastorius
04-06-2005, 23:36
[fdevil]

Melifluous
05-06-2005, 23:06
Dum-dum-de-dum de-dum

Can't bump this ;)

[doh]

Melifluous

Pastorius
05-06-2006, 21:56
Why are so many looking at this thread?

I find it funny how Krys corrects your french, when we have corrected his english so many times...

Socrates
05-06-2006, 22:21
Meh. [blush2]

Pastorius
05-06-2006, 22:34
Well, French to us is as difficult as English is to you :p

romeothemonk
05-06-2006, 22:36
Actually the correct pronunciation in South Dakota is ~Meh.

but we will let that slide

Socrates
05-06-2006, 23:23
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Well, French to us is as difficult as English is to you :p

Be my guest : just say one sentence right in French. [goodjob] And we will see if English is that hard for me.

ProPain
06-06-2006, 06:30
If I'll say a sentence right in French, will you say one right in Dutch [:p]

Melifluous
06-06-2006, 12:07
Est-ce que je peux avoir dix litres de bier s'il vous plait? Mon amis son acheter.

(I dont do accents, it's my keyboards fault)

[meli]

If you decipitate me what should be said?
Me and my body or me and my head?

Socrates
06-06-2006, 13:00
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

If I'll say a sentence right in French, will you say one right in Dutch [:p]

Sure : Ik houd van kaas. [cool]
And your sentence in English is wrong : "If I say..."

Est-ce que je peux avoir dix litres de bier s'il vous plait? Mon amis son acheter.

Est-ce que je peux avoir dix litres de bière s'il vous plaît ? The rest I don't understand. [crazyeye]

Tubby Rower
06-06-2006, 13:07
quote:And your sentence in English is wrong : "If I say..." Not necessarily. I think that it is correct, but I am no English teacher

Shabbaman
06-06-2006, 13:46
My friends buy their own (b)

Whomp
06-06-2006, 19:30
Let me try America's second language...
Usted todo es monos flacos con los malos dientes
Do these work in french and dutch?

Vous tout êtes les singes maigres avec de mauvaises dents

U allen bent skinny apen met slechte tanden

Darkness
06-06-2006, 21:37
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

U allen bent skinny apen met slechte tanden

Skinny is still english...
Correction:

U allen bent magere apen met slechte tanden.

Beam
06-06-2006, 22:09
Skinny? Moi? [ggw]