PDA

View Full Version : *** SPOILER *** Death Match IV

akots
06-04-2005, 09:13
Not for Dell, Beam, or Matrix.

Ok, can start the spoiler for this peculiar game. Death Match concept is coupled to Kingreno's mod. Open thread for the game:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2518

I've made some decisions on turn 1.

First, revolted to Republic because of higher research rate. Hope to battle war weariness and unit costs are not so high. Improvements cost more. And there is an urgent need for techs including Amphibious warfare and tanks together with first modern Age tech. it seems that I can get these two techs in Republic at about the same rate as commie can get only a single tank tech.

Second, allied with Matrix against Beam/Dell. Just because I can trust him but not 100% sure about that. Anyhow, if he decides to backstab me later on, I'm dead anyhow. but I hope he will also be weakened and see no reason why he should backstab me now. matrix revolted to Monarchy and will serve as cash supply and intel gatherer once he get the Intelligence Agency.

Third, I'm first to move, Matrix second, so we have the first strike. Not that it is very important but it is indeed especially in naval battles. Let the commies have their war happiness, hopefully it will not last long. [evil]

Fourth, set research to Marines hoping to rush a few and attack Beam, may be take one city from him on the coast, still have not decided whether to raze it or try to keep.

akots
06-04-2005, 09:20
We agreed to a 2-turn truce in the beginning. So, I've moved most of the troops and ships to the front with Beam. For whatever reason, Beam had left his ships within reach on turn 3. IMHO, it was a blunder. Well, to put it short, his fleet had been decimated. Mine is damaged but hopefuuly can survive his counterattack.

This is the naval battle arena:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20054691612_DM4-t3b.JPG
109.09KB

Battle report:
quote:

Arty bombs tiles near Miletos and Athens, walls in Miletos destroyed.

Bombers/fighters bomb oil 2W of Athens, killed eInf there and destroyed improvements.

Naval battles:

6N + 1 NE of Halic:

vBs 3/5 kills eD
eCr 3/5 kills vCr
eCr 5/5 kills eCr
vBs 3/5 kills rBs
vCr 1/4 kills rBs
vCr 4/4 kills vD
vD dies to vD 4/4
eD 3/5 kills vD
vCr kills rCr

Attacked only with e and v ships, regulars used to bombard your stack, same for all naval battles.

3W of Athens:

rSub 1/3 kills rSub
eD 3/5 kills eD
eCr 2/5 kills Bs (vet?)
vCr 4/4 kills vD
vD 3/5 kills rCr
vD 1/4 kills eCr
vBs dies to vD 2/4
vD dies to rBs 3/4
vD 1/4 kills this Bs
vD kills D (redlined iirc)
vD 4/4 kills rSub
vD 2/4 kills rSub

4N+3NW of Halic:
rSub dies to vSub 2/4

Almost on a straight line N of Erethria:
rSub dies to vSub 2/4

Mostly in my favor but so is the nature of naval combat, attack seems to always dominate. Waiting for strike back with fear. ;)

This is the main battleground. Blocked as many tiles as possible with flaks and units to lessen the devastation. But I have rather many fighters everywhere, so imho, using bombers would be rather risky for Beam.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20054692041_DM4-t3a.JPG
203.16KB

Pastorius
06-04-2005, 11:21
Why do you black out stuff in your spoiler?

akots
06-04-2005, 19:36
I first wanted to put this screenie in the open thread but then decided better not to.

Kingreno
06-04-2005, 19:56
Is the overseer-unit still alive akots? The unit has NO movement nor has it zone of control. It does however, have an anti-air defence of 20. That is a tip shared to all makers of spoilers.

Good luck in your battles!

akots
06-04-2005, 20:06
Overseer? Have not found one. How does it look like? Is it in capital? I might have disbanded a few consript infantries and guerillas or even regulars and certainly a few carriers to speed up the builds in some cities.

Kingreno
06-04-2005, 20:19
scout the middle of the large continent!

akots
06-04-2005, 20:42
Ok, I will when next turn comes.

akots
25-05-2005, 08:09
Mostly naval combat this turn. Must say that Beam stood his ground and we have both our navies decimated apparently. Good thing, he used fighters either from carries or from Athens and Miletos to attack the fleet. So, I used the old tactics by first redlining his defenders on tiles near these cities with arty and then killed them with bombers, further bombing with arty to destroy improvements. I've set all my fighters on air superiority in Tarentum and Palmyra hoping to avoid damage from his bombers if he decides to bomb these two cities.

I guess a nasty surprize is coming towards Dell next turn if Matrix will be able to pull it off. [evil]

akots
23-06-2005, 06:57
We are on turn 8. The game is great fun so far and I would not mind losing. However, there seems to be a good idea that I went for Republic. I was able to research Marines in 4 turns and started to harrass Beam with them, so he is forced to keep only a single unit on the coast. This enable me to devastate his beaches with arty while still keeping my intact. He then had to pull down some forces from the mountain chain and this enabled me to sneak with the settler and build a city towards him. From this city I was able to bombard his defences. Building a railroad and expansion of cultural borders allowed me to bring 2 elite cavalries and kill 2 infantires getting me an MGL Trajan. He is running for cover and might build an army or rush some small wonder. One which makes battleship every turn or bomber every turn, have not decided on that yet. Marine army would be awesome but these small wonders are really a huge temptations.

Here is the battlegrounds:

You can see the mighty undestructable Overseer and my newly build city Nicomedia as well as beaches near the border.

So far bombers proved themselves rather useless btw since we have an ample supply of fighters. But arty rules.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200562365521_DM4-t8.JPG
147.8 KB

akots
23-06-2005, 08:51
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

Is the overseer-unit still alive akots? The unit has NO movement nor has it zone of control. It does however, have an anti-air defence of 20. ...

Actually, the mighty Overseer HAS ZOC, he bombed my cavalry running around it.

Kingreno
23-06-2005, 08:57
I am pretty sure I toggle ZOC off with this unit.[hmm]

Nice spoiler btw!!

akots
20-07-2005, 06:39
OK, Matrix sent me some little gold and I managed to plant spies with Beam and Dell. Here is their militaries compared to mine:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20057206357_DMIVt11.JPG
16.18KB

Did not yet try to plant a spy to Egypt, thought it would not be right with his own money.

Nothing peculiar. Just note that Beam is building flaks and Dell never used his bombers apparently. I've disbanded 7 carriers out of 10 and a few extra transports as well. They also don't have marines around yet but they have the tech. Cannot cash-rush, so would have to build from scratch.

Beam is actually trying to use his carriers but is paying dearly with a bomber for each damaged tile. I can accept that.

Also need a worker factory somewhere. Too bad that an extra city would increase corruption in the others.