PDA

View Full Version : RSS feeds

Beam
01-04-2005, 19:14
A collegue explained a little about RSS feeds today and I started to like it and it can be a nice addition to CDZ imo!

If you're not familiar with RSS feeds, quite a number of news sites have them and what most of them do is create an XML file with news headlines. As a user you just need a RSS reader (many are around for free) that periodically polls the feed(s) and if there is anything new they can do a pop-up, play a sound or whatever. This really depends on the reader and what it can do with the XML.

This could be a very nice alternative for polling Active Topics because you could get notifications of new topics / replies while say spamming CFC off-topic or playing a massive Civ turn. By having a link in the pop-up you could go straight to the right CDZ topic.

There even is a mod availalbe for the Snitz forum and it seems to install pretty easy.

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56247

Ain't this nice? For me this would be ideal while being at work. :)

Pastorius
01-04-2005, 19:21
Great idea. Add it now

And to all you lovers of open source: Mozilla.org and related websites have several RSS readers that work as plugins in your browser. I have one that sits in my statusbar, and feeds me from a selection of blogs and whatnot.

Please PP and anarres :)

Shabbaman
01-04-2005, 19:28
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

I have one that sits in my statusbar, and feeds me from a selection of blogs and whatnot.

A whole selection of them? Hm. Maybe we should have a CDZ blog on the front page, where people with too much time on their hands could blog useless stuff like "Pope still not dead!" [:o)]

Lt. Killer M
01-04-2005, 19:29
what I'd prefer os an acitve topic page that is not organized into seperate fora but has the list in ONE part, as on CFC - that'd do for me, thank you ;)

Melifluous
01-04-2005, 19:34
I'd prefer to have a German poster on the forum that I dont have to run through the "Dyslexic" setting on Babelfish.

Cant have everything though!

Melifluous

Lt. Killer M
01-04-2005, 19:36
at least I do not wear pink ;)

Pastorius
01-04-2005, 19:39
I want to [lol] for some strange reason. Dunno why [hmm]

@shabba:

I get 5 blog feeds in my statusbar. They dont take up much space, the whole plugin just gives a smallish rectangle with the headline of a blog post every now and then - clickable so that I can choose to read if I find it interesting. Many newspapers and such use RSS as well, so I get a couple of them too [:p]

Shabbaman
01-04-2005, 19:41
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Pah, you wear feathers, might be even worse!

Pastorius
01-04-2005, 19:42
He has disgusting eating habits too :D

Beam
01-04-2005, 19:46

He has disgusting eating habits too :D

Who has? ;)

Melifluous
01-04-2005, 19:48

coughcoughcoughballroomdancingcoughcoughcough

[mischief]

Melifluous

Lt. Killer M
01-04-2005, 19:49
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Pah, you wear feathers, might be even worse!

no, sadly I am a mammal, not a dinosaur, disgusting as that may be :(

Pastorius
01-04-2005, 19:52
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1713 :D

(he looks a bit like a waiter in those pics, but cant critize his choice of partners though [groucho] )

@Killer: so, dinos had feathers?

PS: I just love how we manage to take a perfectly innocent thread and spam it to death [jump]

Melifluous
01-04-2005, 19:53

no, sadly I am a mammal, not a dinosaur, disgusting as that may be :(

hehe, couple of base pairs short I heard [:P]

Melifluous

PS. RSS feeds good! [goodjob]
PPS. Apologies for this, been real busy all day (apart from CFC OT) and needed to spam fast and lose.
PPPS. Tried to insult CurtSibling and anarres and Curt got Mod warned! [:o]
PPPPS. Tried to spam "The Americans" thread briefly and was ignored!! [:o][:o][:o]

Lt. Killer M
01-04-2005, 19:55
hehehe

yes, Paal, ALL dinosaurs had feathers, it seems, but not the kind you see on birds. At least for a long time there were rather simply, and many large species did away with them when grown, mucha s elephants aren't hairy when grown.

[spam]!

Pastorius
01-04-2005, 19:57
Here is Meli running in the giant hall: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2667586&postcount=31

@Meli: where did this happen?
quote:tried to insult CurtSibling and anarres and Curt got Mod warned!

Beam
01-04-2005, 20:00
Can I spam my own thread?

[goggle][eek][eek][eek][goggle][goggle][eek][eek][eek][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][eek][eek][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek]
[eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][eek][goggle][eek][eek]
[eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][eek]
[goggle][eek][eek][eek][goggle][goggle][eek][eek][eek][eek][goggle][goggle][eek][eek][eek][eek][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek]
[goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek]
[eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek]
[goggle][eek][eek][eek][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek][goggle][eek][goggle][goggle][goggle][eek]

Melifluous
02-04-2005, 00:07

@Meli: where did this happen?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2667484&postcount=60

Curt posts, anarres posts twice, I post and then Ainwood warns both the others :D

Melifluous

Melifluous
02-04-2005, 00:12
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Can I spam my own thread?

Apologies Beam.

Your idea is a great one!

However I think that the admins can get pretty much the whole story from the first few posts.

But not wishing to waste a perfectly good thread I/we decided to spam the crap out of it. I mean the point was made, the rest was gravy.

If would help ease your mind, I did make a conscious effort to post only the finest spam in your thread. Many many other threads tonight have I spammed young padawan.

Also dont forget the bump factor of such posts.

As the man says it, "If you spam it, they will come".

Melifluous

Pastorius
02-04-2005, 09:04
That's high quality [spam2]

Great post in the healthcare and smokers thread. Surprising they didnt warn you.

On topic:

So, what say you anarres and ProPain - can you give us RSS feeds?

Beam
02-04-2005, 10:43
All, finest spam I've seen in a long time! [goodjob]

We want RSS!

[bump]

[aargh]

[invasion]

[rant]

[rant]

[rant]

[rant]

[shout]