PDA

View Full Version : akots vs Grahamiam *** SPOILER ***

akots
06-03-2005, 01:10
Another tiny map, no-AI, on Emperor level with 2 continents which can be reached before Astronomy. This would probably mean active wars after Iron Working and MapMaking but not really very early since it is hard to tell where these narrow spots between the continents are.

Map was made by Rik. Grah is playing Xerxes and me as Caesar. He has Immortals, I have chance for Philo race and legions. He will be faster with intial expansion and I'll be able to outproduce him if I will be able to grow.

Here is the infamous start. Rik has really exceeded all expectations. [goodjob]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2005361858_akvsgraht7.JPG
46.08KB

I'm going for Pottery first (hope Grah beats me to it and I can get a discount) and then to Writing. I also would need BW and IW as well as Mapmaking. Aiming for Monarchy probably depending on the numebr of available luxuries but will stay in Despotims for a long time apparently.

Rik Meleet
11-03-2005, 11:55
I, as mapmaker, am curious on how this game is developing. Can we expect updates soon ?

digger760
11-03-2005, 13:08
quote:I'm going for Pottery first (hope Grah beats me to it and I can get a discount)

You only get a discount if you have meet him dont you[confused]

akots
11-03-2005, 20:40
We start in locked war, so the contact is there.

akots
31-03-2005, 08:50
Update on turn 59. The game looks more or less OK, development is essentially even despite Grah having Industrious trait. Apparently he is mining a lot whereas I'm mostly irrigating. I won Philo race, picked up CoL and am now 5 turns away from Republic. Hopefully, this would provide some boost because the map sucks big and I screwed a lot.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200533184644_akvsgraht59.JPG
171.69 KB

I did not build a city north of Rome on a hill hence cannot irrigate up there. There are lots of mountains which also prevent from irrigating remote areas. And almost each mountain has a barbarian camp on it. So far, no big deal, mostly battled them with archers and won. But these mountains have luxuries.

I hope I can expand fast enough compared to Grah and rebuild that city on hill once Iron Working is discovered. Next priority tech will be MapMaking and may be wheel for chariots. Then, all goes to vet warriors and galleys. Hopefully, iron can be hooked up then, warriors upgraded and Persia taken care of. Need to find him first though.

It also seems that the map is built in such a way that Persia can take advantage of easy border expansion while Rome can try to take advantage with cheap harbors. There is not much fish around but still coastal tile can be very productive with cash and I'm considering building a few harbors rather early in the game.

Also, being commercial, calls for larger cities. But so far, only 3 luxuries discovered. Wines will be settled in 2 turns but gems are far away. It would be tough running 30% luxuries probably for most of the time.

akots
10-04-2005, 21:59
I've discovered iron working and the map seems to be very weird. I will not continue the game unless Grahamiam can tell me that his layout is completely same as mine. Here is the picture:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2005410215119_akvsgraht71.JPG
164.6 KB

First, the starting location is completely up north hence, about 90% of the land is unusable. I have asked Grah whether we allow free Palace and we agreed we better not to.

Second, there is no way to disconnect iron since iron hill is the only choke between Rome and northern cities. So, I cannot build warriors for the rest of the game and upgrade them to Legions. Apparently, to bring fresh water up north requires building city on this iron hill. Hence, Cumae will be moved next turn to that hill.

This is a major setback. If Grah has different placement of iron or his iron jumps somewhere, he would have an advantage to bring irrigation up north (or south in his case) which will make it really productive. Besides, even after Forbidden Palace is finished, seems that it will end up with about 6 productive cities, others will be completely corrupt ballast. I've asked him and will wait for his answer. If it is different in his case, I'm not playing this one any further. If it is same, might be possible to continue this 5CC game.

Kemal
10-04-2005, 22:11
Well, you could always relocate Cumae twice, and profit from an irrigation made after the Cumae on hills has allowed fresh water to pass the hill to get further irrigations done. And in that case, disconnecting seems simple, just use a harbour to connect the upper part of the empire and pillage the iron once Cumae has moved again.

Quite a challenging map I indeed would agree, but you can still achieve what you want, don't you think? ( I.e. productive empire and disconnection tricks).

akots
10-04-2005, 22:36
Sure, it is possible. The problem is whether Grah has IDENTICAL setup. If he has, I don't see much problem to it indeed.

I can move Cumae, build harbor up north to keep luxuries connected, irrigate a bit, then move the city again and pillage iron. The problem is that it would cost substantial fraction of resources (gold mostly) to do this. It would be about 5-6-turn income gone specifically for this operation. As well as about 20 turns of growth and substantial part of production for my number 2 city (Cumae; Not that it is really very productive). First, usually, players don't move their core cities just for fun. Second, there is no AI on this map to trade and acquire some "easy" cash. Well, losing 5-6 turns would have devastating consequences and the game will be certainly lost at least against Grah just because he will be able to build warriors and upgrade them. However, if his setup is the same, the game could be won because of this unless he will do the same trick just because of less expensive harbors for Rome.

Since it is a critical move, and I have no idea of whether the map is symmetrical completely, including iron placement, I better wait for Grah to confirm this.

Also, Pompeii will never see any fresh water. Well, at least, it is not under a vulcano. :)

akots
11-04-2005, 01:22
Grah answered the call and says that he has exactly the same layout. And he is also puzzled as to what the shit to do about it. Guess it all ends by a battle of 5 Immortals versus 5 legions on a couple of galleys since there is little possibility we will be able to build more. [lol]

Rik Meleet
11-04-2005, 09:25
You could have asked me ...

akots
11-04-2005, 09:30
Well, it was about HIS surroundings. It was possible Grah did not want me to know hence I decided to ask him directly. :)

akots
13-04-2005, 07:22
OK, I have disbanded Cumae and moved it to iron and irrigated the plains north of the iron hill. This really costs me a lot since Grah is in Despotism and I'm in Republic but I'm really falling behind in everything except Productivity and Income. It also seems he is building Libraries while continuing to expand. That surely makes sense because the way the game will develop will certainly benefit Persia. Legions become obsolete with Middle Ages and Feudalism whereas he will still be able to roll on with Immortals up to Riflemen. Just need a decent number of them. And certainly, I will be outresearched. And there is little way to mount an efective attack early in the game just because production sucks. Roughly, I'd estimate Rome might be ready for some action at turn 125 or so and by then, Persia might have gunpowder. The map has more or less normal amount of food and trade (lots of coastal tiles) but shields are very-very low.

For now, lack of luxuries hurts and I'm in the process of hooking third and forth luxury and have already discovered fifth which might require building a few ships to hook it up.

Overall, my Roman games are a bit crazy. One against Justus seems OK though against an agricultural civ (he plays the Dutch). And Death Match IV does not count apparently just because I did not take Rome but was assigned to it. But, anyhow, Dum spiro spero , Hope while you still can breathe. May be this one will turn itself out in a decent way.

ProPain
13-04-2005, 23:42
http://home.planet.nl/~dijk8021/logo_club_12.jpg

Melifluous
14-04-2005, 00:34
[smirk]

Melifluous

ProPain
14-04-2005, 00:51
[psv][psv]

akots
24-04-2005, 04:36
We are on turn 102 now. Shit continues. Not only the map is a bit frustrating, the RNG is extremely streaky as well and there is no way to build a decent army because there is just a handful of productive cities. Either I win everything in a row or Grah wins everything. However, mental effort going into playing this game is close to extreme. I carefully weight every move and every build, still it is not clear how it will turn out. Persia is a very strong opponent on these kinds of map.

To put it short, I have revolted substantially earlier than Grah, and built a curragh rather early as well. Scouting around the starting lands revealed that ... there is no easy way across to visit G-man and punish him for impersonating himself with X-man ... That's been a bit unexpected. So, I switched Rome from Colossus to Lighthouse. Grah was also building a wonder but he had despotic penalty, so I was able to beat him to it and he got Colossus. I then upgraded a few legions and landed them around turn 90 or so near Gordium. Well, Grah is a very strong player, no chance to get him with his pants down. He had enough defenders around and upgraded a few warriors to Immortals. I have landed only 2 legions on a mountain, managed to capture 3 Persian workers and slaughter 3 or 4 units in Gordium before his reinforcements came. Good thing is that he had to defend with Immortals and was in Anarchy. But it all happened close to the end of his Anarchy, and he had to attack the legions triggering his Golden Age. Apparently, 2 or 3 turns of it were wasted then.

A weird thing happened. I started to have war weariness already (2 units inside enemy territory for 3 turns (6 points), 4 attacks (4 points), loss of 2 defensive units (4 points)) with total 14 points. This is weird, since it is too early. I always thought 30 points are needed. But as soon as he finished Anarchy and became Republic, all war weariness disappeared. How come? Well, never mind.

It seems I can more or less safely attack him without being very vulnerable on the home front. He can certainly try galley hopping but I'm not sure it is allowed in this game, apparently yes. Well, I can land troops but he has a few galleys (apparently rushed recently) to kill my boats and blocked a number of coastal tiles with archers and immortals near Gordium.

First wave has been eliminated gaining 2 slaves and second wave had 4 galleys with 8 legions. Since all tiles near Gordium were blocked, I had to leave them for a turn floating around. Grah then killed a galley of mine and 2 legions (both veteran!!) went to feed the fish. However, six legions survived and landed and Persia was forced to abandon a size 2 town. It was corrupt but still some little victory. I then advanced with legions towards Persian wines killing a few Immortals by most of the troops were slaughtered by Immortal reinforcements. However, one elite Legion survived intact, killed a spear in Ergili and now I have Trajan who will try to rech the homeland safely which will not be an easy thing to do since Grah continues to rush some galleys.

Here is the current battlefield situation:

Birth of Trajan on the battlefiled:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20054244154_akvsgraht101a.JPG
75.13 KB

And general disposition of the troops. Note again that all tiles near Gordium are blocked from landing.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200542441648_akvsgraht101b.JPG
82.66 KB

Now about vulcanoes. I have not built anything near it. But it was a very productive tile worked by my second productive core city with Forbidden Palace in it, Veii. The fucking thing erupted last turn and had spit some brown shit on itself and surrounding jungle tiles. Fortunately, the crap did not touch improved tiles but I lost the vulcano tile itself which was making 4 shields per turn and had to partially cash-rush market. Could not the damn thing wait for 15 more turns? ...

Here is the picture of the core with disgusting brown crap around the cursed place. All hope of ever using these jungle is apparently lost since that would mean investing insane number of worker turns to chop the jungle and clean pollution as well. I just pray it is all that it can do and the vulcano will remain quite to the end of the game.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200542442248_akvsgraht101d.JPG
140.79 KB

I also attempted a suicide run with archer in a galley towards Persepolis shortly after building the Lighthouse. But the galley sank without a wink not reaching the destination. Here is its trace:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200542442413_akvsgraht101c.JPG
60.68 KB

And this is the F3 screen. Unit support cost already hurts and Persian has built some libraries, to make more cash by researching at lower science rate. Apparently rushing to feudalism. Well, I'm not in a hurry, legions will become obsolete and this is just too versatile a unit to part with it quickly without exploiting it to the full array of possibilities. And apparently Persian is also hurting with unit costs, at least I hope so. Grah has more cities and land since he was running settler factory for longer time. While I'm trying to use Golden Age to build a few chariots for upgrade, harbors for veteran galleys, and most importantly Courthouses to make a good use of the Commercial trait of Rome. Must note that the whole northern part of the map (southern for Persia) is badly infested with barbarians and should be cleaned a bit before Middle Ages come.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200542442954_akvsgraht101e.JPG
106.47 KB

akots
18-07-2005, 07:15
Update for this game, long overdue. We are on turn 232. My longest PBEM ever. There was a lot going on in this one, mostly on the micromanagement front. But I'll summarize a few most important events during Middle Ages.

OK, I had a Lighthouse and Legions. But I was not able to mount an effective assault on Grah just because production in this map is low. So, it was basically a stalemate. I managed however to land about 12 legions near Persepolis but it was already the age of Astronomy and I've lost all these units in exchange for about the same number of Immortals. Grah however, also got a leader during this battle and built an army and loaded it with knights killing one of my units. So, he has Heroic Epic and apparently Military Academy and is building armies. He also managed to build Colossus, Copernicus and Newtons in Persepolis, so his capital is a scientific powerhouse.

All Middle Ages I was behind in science and was able to save a shitload of cash because of this, around 6-7 thousand. With only 2 players on the map, discount of researching techs as a second player is very big. By the end of Middle Ages, I had very nice improvements built all over the place with markets/courthouses/libraries/aqueducts in all more or less productive cities. Here is where Commerical trait comes to play and Persian can do little about it. I also researched Economics and built Smith's which allowed me to save another bunch of cash to overcome Persian capital research capacity. I can probably run slider 10% higher than Grah just because of Smith's and this certainly compensates. Also, I've been actively building 200-shield monster Universities and many harbors whereas Grah built some military and navy.

By the end of Middle Ages he got Nationalism as his free tech and almost immediately landed a stack of a few riflemen and immortals just in time before Steam Power and railroads. Fortunately, I had some cannons around and a few knights and moved some musketmen over by ships, so I was able to destroy his stack.

Then it went all peaceful. I beelined to Scientific Method whereas Grah was "cleaning up the stables". Don't know what this means, might be another volcano eruption. Well, never mind. I was steadily number 1 in income, productivity, MFG, demographics, etc almost through all Middle Ages and still am now in the middle of Industrial Age. I've got Theory of Evolution and picked up Atomic Theory (as most expensive tech) and Replaceable parts. I then researched Industrialization, Nationalism and Communism. Have little idea what Grah was researching since he was behind in techs. Nationalism allowed to draft-rush factories and Communism allowed to build Police Stations with the help of civil engineers. The tiles providing excess food were then mined. I have also used corrupt cities for scientists/tax collectors and can research almost at 4 turn rate. Still a few Universities are in progress.

akots
18-07-2005, 07:35
Continued from the previous post.

OK, here is the current situation. I've been able to snatch Hoover's and Leo's while Grah built Suffrage. Leo's came very handy and I've upgraded all cannons and muskets and in the process of upgrading legions.

Here is nice power graph:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200571871834_akvsgraht232a.JPG
62.23 KB

And also rather nice F11 stats:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200571871917_akvsgraht232b.JPG
88.68 KB

Our militaries are average:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20057187204_akvsgraht232c.JPG
102.31 KB

This is situation in the North. Grah has a similar situation in his South. There are lots of barbarians. I use them mostly for farming for elite units. And hopefully, Rik did not put uranium over there since there are still many barbarians, about 200 units total on these tiles.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200571872151_akvsgraht232d.JPG
130.13 KB

Here is the central core, most essential tiles blocked but this is not important since it is all railroaded long time ago.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200571872252_akvsgraht232e.JPG
144.59 KB

And this is south, where most of the scientists work. Also occasionally used for draft-rushing.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200571872356_akvsgraht232f.JPG
107.55 KB

And this is tech situation for me. The most important thing I lack is Espionage. That would be very handy. But I'm waiting for Grah to discover that to decrease the cost of this tech. Seems he's not that curious since he did not research that yet. Also, I don't have Military Tradition as well. That he certainly has and I suspect he's building armies. Presumably to be filled with marines. And may be even Pentagon. Well, I'm a bit sceptical about armies, they generally never stand to good arty beating. And in case coastal cities will be captured, I've built barricades around them.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200571872721_akvsgraht232g.JPG
102.44 KB

Now, one can think that the game is in the bag. However, this is completely wrong. Indeed, Rome does somewhat outproduce and outresearch Persia. But this is not enough. Just not enough advantage in shield capacity. I might be able to make a couple of extra destroyers or bombers, might be even get to tactical nukes faster. But only by a handful of turns. And there is no way to get Grah with his pants down by marines. I'm sure he's got enough barricades all over the place as well.

However, I hope that my advantage over time will grow. Safe win would probably be possible to achieve by building fighters/destroyers and aiming for tactical nukes. That is where I can get him for sure. Just need to be on guard with his armies, protect the coast and watch for his transports. Build a few subs and bombers to target them. So, here is the current plan. Hopefully I can survive.

Beam
18-07-2005, 23:54
Nice elite farm! What strikes me is you're talking about military options as if the bottle is half empty. You got your bottomline pretty much togethet as it seems and the only potential drawback is Grah could be building armies. Which come at a cost of 400 shields and that isn't easily done on a map low in shields!

akots
19-07-2005, 00:19
Well, I won't be able to go to space before Grah builds a couple of nukes. Hence, as I remember the Death Match III lesson (DMIV is yet to come), "he nukes best who nukes first" especially without SDI defence. Each nuke is a hit then and pain and suffering for recipient. A couple of extra early nukes can decide this game imho. With decent prebuild. Just pray Grah does get fission or rocketry as a free tech. That would free up my cash for rushing.

For example, now I have free hydroplants and Grah is probably still building coal plants. I can start on Stock Exchanges and get some infantry/destroyers/subs going as well in parallel. By the time we get to nukes, we would have rather equal productivity with mine being about 20% more due to commercial trait and another 10% to Police Stations which I don't think he is having (not sure about that but he's got Suffrage and just building them for anti-corruption effect seems like a waste). So, he'll be able to build 3 nukes instantly after Space Flight is discovered (and Manhattan built) and I'd get like 5. So, he loses 5 cities and I lose 3. The mess continues and when he's able to knock down my next 2 productive cities, I'll get 3 of his, etc. etc.

Of course, there is an option of building Manhattan in some not-so-important expendable city and after it is finished, immediately disband that city. Alas, I don't have that kind of city. There's only a handful of productive cities on this map.

And I'm not sure about the armies. I think he's building them and keeping them empty but I don't know. Need Espionage for that. But this would slow overall tech pace down and I don't want that. Rome benefits from race forward to nukes non/stop. I should not allow Persia to be able to catch up in improvements and productivity. IMHO.

May be there is something else I'm missing here though.

Beam
19-07-2005, 00:31
quote:May be there is something else I'm missing here though.

Like 6 techs to complete the IA and a couple more before the first nuke? You're getting close to 60-70 turns for that and Grah reaaly can go coasting for armies if that is what you think he is doing Mr. Tru_m4n. ;)

akots
19-07-2005, 00:57
Well, he needs marines for that. And built from scratch. I sincerely hope he falls for that. Plan to counter that with destroyers/subs and flight which he would be reluctant to get because it cancels Colossus. He can't reach the cities with transport in a single turn, need to pause somewhere at sea. That's where I will try to get him and feed his armies to the fishies.

But hey, nobody said it's gonna be easy. I do realize that. Overall this game had been really a strain for my poor brain. But I did survive so far, so will survive the swarms of Persian marines. Might lose a city though, another 20 spt and 40 gpt, no big deal. Hopefully not Rome, that would hurt indeed. But 5 of my 7 most productive cities are off coast. Well, not exactly but they cannot be reached with ships positioned outside of arty range.

akots
19-07-2005, 01:00
quote:Originally posted by Beam
Like 6 techs to complete the IA and a couple more before the first nuke? You're getting close to 60-70 turns for that ...

I'd estimate it to be way shorter, maximum 40-45 turns. And may be less than 35 turns also possible without losing substantial cash.

Besides, I can also have an army of marines. Just raze Persepolis, that's all it takes.

Don't look at Refining numbers. I'm trying to upgrade legions to guerillas, need some cash for that. Once that is finished it all goes to science. And I get some help from the southern cities both in shields and beakers. now building markets there with civil engineers to be able to draft more.

Beam
19-07-2005, 01:36
Indeed, techcalcs were based on Refining turns, still it is a very long run imo.

"Nothing to be feared more than fear itself" - Rush, Moving Pictures, Witch Hunt

akots
31-07-2005, 06:33
Believe it or not, I was dying all this time from curiosity and finally decided to waste 4 turns and get Espionage. Guess what? It is well worth it for a number of reasons. First, I got SGL in the process. I know, we were not supposed to have them. But this was first map made by Rik and may be the issue just escaped his attention. There were many settings after all. I wrote to Grahamiam asking what should I do with the guy and may be I hope he will permit me to rush at least some improvement or unit or may be ICBM if we ever get to these.

Second and more useful aspect was that I have built Intelligence Agency and have planted a spy in Persia this turn. It gave a few pieces of useful information about Persian strategies. It seems that indeed the science race had rather exhaustive effects on Persian economy. Grahamiam did not research Military tradition and is not building armies. He also disbanded all Immortals (apparently to save with upkeep). Whereas, I have upgraded all legions into guerillas and planning to upgrade to TOW infantry further because I have Leo's and it does not hurt that much. Also, he's really short with cash (only 81g in the bank whereas I have over 2K.

Third extremely useful aspect is that I let him forward with techs and am researching Combustion in 4 turns at 50% science rate with discount whereas he had to go full throttle there and now he's pushing either to Marines (Mass production) or Flight. I plan to steal either of what he discovers because the careful steal is dirt cheap, 1200g or so. He also does not know Communism and does not have Police stations. The non-mandatory techs are actually extremely useful imho.

It is still a close call though but my chances are not so bad. Mostly thanks to commercial trait of course. It is a very powerful trait indeed. I am probably outproducing Persia by at least 15-20% now and he is still building Stock Exchanges whereas I'm all set and ready to go with at least most of the cities covered by 3-4 elite Infantries in case his marines show up.

Oh, and the elite factory up north is almost gone. I was afraid the mountains have Uranium and it takes time to clean from barbarians. So, I just got rid of the pesky brats almost completely. Apart from this, I am now able to build a city there finally to claim 2 remaining unclaimed tiles.

Here is a pic of our militaries:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200573163159_akvsgraht248a.JPG
171.24 KB

And the pic of a Persian city investigated by a Roman anonimous agent. A similar city of mine has somewhat lower corruption, roughly by 10-15% or so. And I don't understand why he keeps one of the plains irrigated since he can mine it and gain a few extra shields making the food balance to zero. [confused] It might be I have something similar somewhere however because once these cities are set up, it is really hard to make yourself switch the tiles for proper micromanagement, just too much hassle.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200573163335_akvsgraht248c.JPG
182.71 KB

akots
01-08-2005, 04:00
Quick update turn 250. So, I have built that intelligence agency and have stolen Mass Production from Grahamiam for 1200g. THe cost of it to research was 2000 even if I was the second to discover it. I now set research to flight ready in 5 turns running at -25gpt still having about 1600g in the treasury. I also upgraded all galleons to transports and already built one destroyer. More destroyers, a couple of cruisers and a few subs are ready to appear within the next 5-6 turns. With Flight and Amphibious warfare around, we are entering the phase "I-can-research-faster-than-I-can-produce". I can see when Grahamiam builds his first marine and then will steal the tech from him. The profit made with this can be used either to increase luxuries to draft a bit more to accelerate the bomber/fighter builds or to part-rush arports and airplanes. I obviously don't need to rush to Modern Era ahead of Persia since I want to pick up his first tech there to research while trying to save money for stealing whatever tech he is able to research there after that free tech. As a first measure, I've moved most of infantries and guerillas to coastal cities and covered them with arty. I can always try to steal Grahamiam's troop position plans to help me survive through a possible early marine assault although the prices on that are steep. Have to check for exact figure.

And Leonardo genius had been killed by some hooligans in the city of Rome while walking drunk through Central Park after a party. All his notes mysteriously disappeared and no record remains of his wonderful discoveries.

I have also investigated a couple of Persian cities up north as a possible targets for attack my marines and they are indeed undefended. Also, I've stolen Persian world map for 140g. [evil]

akots
02-08-2005, 07:54
Another quick update turn 256. Game is getting glitchy. I have discovered flight and have stolen Motorized Transportation from Grahamiam which he discovered this very same turn. This brought me into Industrial Age whereas he still needs to discover flight. Or he will go for Marines. We are having fierce naval battles with this weird pRNG runs which continue from the Ancient Age. Now it is my turn to suffer. The glitchy part is that Grahamiam had SGL and I had the second SGL on the very same turn we discovered the techs. May be disbanding my first SGL would result in us having SGLs every time we discover new tech. [confused]

Also, one of Grahamiam's oils (each of us has 2 sources) jumped but not to my territory. It just disappeared. I'm still having mine 2 whereas he has only one. And previously his saltpeter also jumped but to my continent. I have 3 sources and he has only one. Not that we need it. Fortunately we have 4 sources of iron each. But there is a single coal and one rubber. Rubber does not jump iirc but coal does. Well, if his second oil jumps or either one of coals jump, that would be game over apparently. I wonder what would happen when we discover uranium. This one has a really nasty habit to jump all over the map.

Meanwhile, I've set research to Fission ready in 13 turns. No need to hurry here, I need some cash to rush things and steal Grahamiam's techs. Manhattan prebuild started and is scheduled to arrive on time same turn as Fission. IMHO, nukes would be critical in this game and I'd like to control their use. If it goes badly, I'll just disband the city with Manhattan. It would greatly hurt but if it is the only way to survive, so be it.

akots
17-09-2005, 17:46
Short update, turn 278. It seems that Grahamiam is losing and badly. First, I've been building bombers (around 20) whereas he was building Destroyers. So, he was badly bombed. Two cities which I was able to reach were devastated. He also has huge war weariness and has to keep luxuries at 50% to prevent riots (hence no research at all for him) whereas mine luxuries are fluctuation between 10 and 20% depending on how many bombers I lose.

Second aspect and most important, I got the nukes first and way earlier than he. Indeed, Persia does not even know the secret of Fission. At least when I investigate his cities, I did not see Uranium among the resources. So, two turns ago I started nuking him, knocking out the coal city and now the alimunium city as well. I'm continuing on rushing tactical nukes and nuclear subs. Have another 4 to strike next turn. To completely devastate Persian core, I'd need about 3-4 more nukes and then marines can come into action. Amphibious warfare will be discovered in 3 turns and I hope to be able to devastate his fleet enough to get a couple of transports through the ocean to raze coastal cities. Grahamiam is a fighter though and apparently does not feel like resigning. Well, that one is turning into a really nasty bloodbath.

akots
19-09-2005, 05:21
On turn 287 we finally decided to call it off. The picture of Persian core below speaks for itself. I also managed to razed 2 core cities (Arbela and Tyre) with marines also aiming for Persepolis which would have been nuked and razed in 2 more turns. Grahamiam's fleet is gone and he is left with only 2 fighters.

Here is the screenie:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200591952127_akvsgraht287.JPG
89.1 KB

It was a funny game against a very cunning opponent. My longest PBEM ever and one of the longest civ games as well. We both put a lot of effort into it!

akots
19-09-2005, 06:04
quote:Originally posted by Beam
Like 6 techs to complete the IA and a couple more before the first nuke? You're getting close to 60-70 turns for that ...

It were 44 turns exactly with two techs stolen from Persia.