PDA

View Full Version : ***SPOILER*** StriclyRockers vs akots

akots
10-02-2005, 07:01
No-AI 1x1 human brutal game with Stricktly Rockers (christo) on a small map with 2 continents separated by at least three ocean tiles on an Emperor level. We start in locked war. Christo plays the Sumerians and I am the Ottomans. Started with 3 settlers, 2 workers and 2 warriors to speed the things up and there are roaming barbarians but no goodie huts. Map was made by Kingreno.

Settling with the starting settlers has been a puzzle but I decided to build 3 cities as follows: one - capital - goes for settler factory and for a long time since there is lots of land to settle. Another - for high shields with potential on palace jump there and more central location near the river with a possibility of wonder building and military buildup as well. Bad thing it might have a slower growth but there is little that can be done about it since I cannot outgrow agricultural Sumeria anyhow. Third settler went to the coast and started the Great Lighthouse prebuild there right from turn 7 or so as soon as it has been built. It seems that I have missed a few good spots but I hope the nice settler factory will cover up for this. Looks like Christo does not have a settler factory up yet or may be he is just building one and pumping out workers from the capital.

First tech researched has been Pottery and then Alphabet. Research plan is to Republic by any means but I want to grab mapmaking and I want the Pyramids.

Here is situation on turn 27:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20052107012_SRvsAK-27.JPG
77.53*KB

And the F8 screen shows that I'm not doing that bad but there is a possibility of all this missing pop from Sumeria converted to workers which might spell my doom as well. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20052107123_SRvsAK-27-F8.JPG
36.6*KB

akots
11-02-2005, 09:15
[cry]

Shit! SR went for cheap techs first apparently and got SGL. I'm not sure how I can survive with him having agricultural civ and the Pyramids. If only there were a way to trigger his Golden Age in Despotism... But the Pyramids will not be enough for that. [sad]

akots
31-03-2005, 09:15
So, my poor Ottomans struggle with agricultural Shumerians which have the Pyramids! That is a very tough game against a tough opponent. How to survive? I've considered surrendering the game but decided to give it a try and hang on around for some time.

To compensate for Pyramids, I have built 7 granaries in key cities. Pyramids cost 400 shields, so my substitute for them is 420 shields. Not that it helps a lot but to a certain extent I'm doing OK. The score ratio is the same as it was before SR built the Pyramids.

I won the Philo race, picked up CoL (seems like a standard move to me) and went full throttle to Republic. Revolted immediately after discovering it and now have 2 more or less functional settler factories, a worker factory and my favorite MoM. Since the map requires a Lighthouse, I've built MoM in a coastal city and this city is now size 10 at 20% luxury rate thanks to workers joined there from the worker factory. I'm also not building anything yet but granaries and workers, started on a few barracks and Forbidden Palace near the capital.

SR is still in Despotism and he is seriously risking a 9-turn Anarchy or so it seems with his rather large size empire.

City layout is a bit peculiar. Desperate need for luxuries and food bonuses has dictated somewhat unusual city placements. A few cities also need border expansion to get more bonus tiles. I'm considering limited expansion just to have only productive cities and not so many corrupt ones, may be only to claim luxuries.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2005331937_SRvsAKt75.JPG
156.78KB

Here is the MoM powerhouse. If I win Lighthouse race, I might consider going for Colossus to boost commerce and speed up research but it seems that with a few libraries, all techs will come at 4-turn rate.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20053319836_SRvsAKt75b.JPG
156.35KB

As reasonably expected, I'm behind in population and land but fortunately ahead in Productivity and income. There is no easy way to trigger Golden Age for me however but I'm thinking on building some wonder later on. Don't know which one though. Right now, GA might help me to recover.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20053319637_SRvsAKt75a.JPG
80.4KB

So, am I after a hopeless task? Should I surrender and stop wasting time? Or there is some chance here? Really, I don't give up but don't believe in a possibility of vicotry either. The only way seems to survive to Sipahi before Sumeria gets to Astronomy (if I win Lighthouse race). Accumulate horsemen and cash, build Leo's and upgrade. However, there is always a galley hopping option for Sumeria to take me out. It is not efficient certainly but still something to consider. So, seems that I should start to build at least a modest military pretty soon.

Kingreno
31-03-2005, 09:29
if you get the Lighthouse you definately should not surrender. Even 10 horsemen can wreak massive havoc in his lands as he is not able to defend everywhere.

akots
31-03-2005, 09:44
Thanks for inspiration!

Also considering to let the core cities grow and cash-rush settlers in Sinop and Kafa. These two cities have lots of food and will be able to grow in size every turn with granary. Hopefully, these cities will be able to make a few shields as well after Forbidden Palace is finished.

grahamiam
31-03-2005, 15:07
Are you guys locked in war already? If so, what about WW in Republic?

akots
02-04-2005, 05:04
We have started in locked war. Since there were no war-related events, there is no war weariness. Apparently, it will start after we proceed to the active combat phase. Seems a bit remote to me for a few more turns.

akots
09-04-2005, 06:56
I've got the Lighthouse and Strictly Rockers is only revolting. The Ottoman Empire is growing very powerful, Forbidden Palace will be ready in 2 turns and I'm researching at a 4-turn rate at 30-40% science making about 50gpt cash with 20% luxury rate. I also try to keep cities with granaries below size 7 to making occasonal settlers/workers for now. Math ready in 2 turns and then straight to currency to build up markets. After this decent economy will be created, then it is turn for aqueducts and navy/military. Then it will be time for Sumeria to die.

To trigger GA, I'm considering building some weird wonder, might be Great Wall or something like that. May be even research Monarchy and go for Hanging Gardens. but we'll see to which government Sumeria will be revolting. It seems to me that it will be Monarchy. If it is true, the game can certainly be won just by researching to Military Tradition. Apparently, it will be possible to keep 4-turn research rate throughout this path. Then, with the help of Leo's, sipahi will be loaded on galleys and will capture and execute the Sumerian king. Not sure it will work though. Might be a few diversions with knights are worth the losses. If Sumeria goes to Monarchy, there will be surely at least a pair of E-guys in each city.

Kingreno
09-04-2005, 12:14
Come on! E-guys are strong against ancient units and even cause annoyance against Knights, but for your Sipahi it is just another run of targetpractise...

Have you scouted his land yet?

akots
09-04-2005, 18:59
No ships yet, I have only a single curragh circling around the continent. Have not yet started on military, still in the growth phase.

akots
06-05-2005, 21:53
I have received the following message from christo today:

quote:Hey Al,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to continue our game. I will concede if you like, or we can save it and pick it up later. The map is just a little to bizzare for my tastes. Also, I have other real-life priorities that are taking over. If you want to scrap it or pick it up again later or accept my concession, I am happy with any of those. I am also happy to try agani with a normal random map, or maybe a more normal looking map-requested map.

Thank you for doing my first PBEM 1v1 game and completeing almost 100 turns with me. You are a worthy adversary and again I regret that other responsiblities are taking over now. I'd be happy to get into another 1v1 or multiplayer pbem. Or have you ever checked out the ladder at www.myleague.com/civ3players ? It's really fun. Good players. This game was fun too. Thanks again.

It means he wants to resign apparently since there is little possibility for him to win this game. I will post an F11 screen later on.

It seems that when people are starting to lose chance at winning, they lose interest and stop playing. Not with Anarres, but the game against Justus is on infinite hold and this one follows as well.

Should I accept the offer and claim win here or put it on hold? Must admit it will probably never continue if put on hold.

While Justus is a very nice person and will never try to claim an undeserved win against him, here I feel different and the win does not seem to be completely undeserved. The game will be lost for Sumerians sooner or later, no doubt about it.

akots
06-05-2005, 22:10
Here is F11 which is actually more or less even. The MFG and productivity was first for me on a previous turn. Seems that it is 50-50 here. But I'm way ahead in research.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20055622232_SRvsAKt96b.JPG
90.06 KB

And this is power graph on turn 96 which is extremely unpleasant for Sumeria. SOme of it is apparently due to a few gold coins I have accumulated but not much. Mostly it seems to be a lot of cities and very productive ones indeed. Also, I have a Lighthouse and can easily invade his continent is I feel like it.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200556221433_SRvsAKt96a.JPG
32.51 KB

I don't mean anything but it seems that management of the Sumerian empire had been very far from ideal. And map is unusual indeed but I like it. It makes you think what you are doing and do it the right way. Seems that has been too much for SR.

His letter actually even further discouraged me to trying the ladder. It is a poor challenge and players there mostly seem to know the archer rush and once they are deprived of this possibiltiy, they either lose the game or lose interest in the game.

I now regret I have accepted the challenge against christo but at that time he seemed like an interesting opponent who was relatively good at GOTMs (top 50 or even 30) and was active in the ISDG. But this even further strengthens my general disappointment in the majority of ladder players.

Rik Meleet
07-05-2005, 00:09
That is disappointing ... [cry]
This game could have been a lot of fun.