PDA

View Full Version : Realtime C3C game anyone?

Markstar
01-02-2005, 20:33
Hi,
my girlfriend will be leaving me for the next 7 months and while I do intend to concentrate mostly on university, a break once in a while won't hurt, right? [coool]

But since I don't have time for PBEM (I know me, I'll be thinking about the game all day), I'd like to play a game or two online (maybe even with more people???).

I'd prefer a ladder game (so there is some extra challenge; of course only for 1on1 games) but I guess I'll have to figure out how that works first (we would probably need a save that's ready to load instead of a scenario since you can see the map in the scenario loader).

Anybody interested? I remember a few ppl talking about it...

Oh, almost forgot: Weekend is better but I can make it work pretty much any day. And I don't care about the settings for now as long as it is with fairly even starting positions.
It's a LOOONG time ago since I played any Civ so I'll probably end up getting beaten by the AI if there is nobody around. [crazyeye]

Well what do you know, I seem to be a Mod here [:p] Melifluous

akots
02-02-2005, 09:23
All ideas of organizing an online MP session with more than 2 players have apparently failed so far. So, I guess, 1x1 would be more realistic. I might be tempted this Saturday if you are not planning to start very early (the earliest around 7-8am US Central = 2-2pm European time) and stay rather late since I'm at -6 GMT. It also might be possible to kindly ask for a map. May be a short game without AI on a tiny map starting with a few settlers to speed the things up and wrap it in one or 2 sessions?

Markstar
02-02-2005, 14:41
Settings sound fine, however, the earliest I can play would be the 12th so it would have to wait until then. :(

Time doesn't really matter to me, with my girlfriend gone I'll probably go back to going to sleep at around 5am (GMT+1) anyways (or not sleep at all).

Socrates
02-02-2005, 14:51
While a 1v1 online game isn't tempting for me (online means I wanna meet several people ;) ), I'm here if we can be at least 4 players (this figure is a good one BTW). I can go to sleep at 4-5am on Friday and Saturday nights if needed. I'm happy with any game, if it doesn't have any silly setting, like accelerated production or whatnot.

My agenda is... well I don't have one. :D There will be very few weekends where I won't be available, so the earlier we fix one, the more chance I'll be there.

P.S. : Markstar + akots ?? [eek] I'll be the n00b then. [mischief]

akots
02-02-2005, 21:45
I have absolutely no idea about February 12th. But might know early next week. Three players is also a good setup.

Markstar
03-02-2005, 00:34
It doesn't have to be Feb 12th, any day from then on is fine. If possible I would want to play several times anyways. ;) It's been so long that I've played Civ it'll be a whole new experience for me.[medic]

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, is there any way to move it to the opponent finding forum? Mmh, maybe I'll just post it again.

akots
03-02-2005, 03:33
May be anarres can move it to the Opponent Finding forum...

Melifluous
03-02-2005, 12:20
Moved...

Melifluous

Markstar
03-02-2005, 14:13
Thank you Melifluos!

Now back to business:
@akots: Now we need to do is decide on a date and maybe the final map settings.

@krys: Yes, I also prefer 4 players since then you are not totally alone right from the start (with a 2vs1). Maybe we'll find another player...

akots
03-02-2005, 22:02
We can start in locked war with each other.

Matrix
04-02-2005, 03:31
I'm pretty much available every evening. Next week I'll be completely free and planning to do absolutely nothing. :D It est: no holiday or anything. (Playing Civ3 is doing nothing for me. [rolleyes])

So please contact me whenever you like to play. :)

Markstar
04-02-2005, 04:09
Well, as I said the earliest is the 12th so we can start something then.

I have not had the time to test the whole map loading issue, maybe tomorrow or next week. I guess if we want to be spontaneous we can just load a random map and veto if we realle hate our starting positions or something like that.

Right now I'm pretty busy, especially since it's pretty much the last days I get to spend time with my gf (apart from a few days at the end of march). [:p]

Markstar
14-02-2005, 00:36
Wow, have been pretty busy lately so it took me a little longer than expected to do a little testing.

Well, it seems asking somebody to create a map is doable, the map maker can either start a simultaneous game where we should have the same names that we actually use for online play or he can just create a hotseat game and save from there. Both work fine, even though we would lose one turn with the hotseat solution.

So, who is in and when? Let's get something started here. As I said before, I'm VERY open about the settings as long as the starts are fairly even.

Edit: Talked to Matrix and we will just start a random game some time. But more interesting will be a game with more players. I prefer weekends, but evenings (GMT) sound good as well.

Socrates
14-02-2005, 00:55
I'm in. :)

I prefer a small map (80x80), mainly Pangea (like LAN players in NL seem to prefer in the end). Mmmh maybe I'd like to play the Celts. [groucho]

Next weekend is OK for me. [thumbsup]

The best is to all meet on MSN once to set up the details, and make our map request. Contact me whenever you want.

akots
14-02-2005, 01:30
There is 90% chance I'm free next Saturday. And 70% chance is Sunday.

IMO, it is better to ask for a map made.

Markstar
14-02-2005, 01:34
Alright, next weekend it is. With 4 players I would prefer a medium map, though. Maybe even throw in 2 AIs just to make it interesting?

Pangea should make it quick, I'd prefer either small or pangea, but not both so it's not to crowded. How about you guys?

Socrates
14-02-2005, 01:43
OK, I make it so I don't plan anything important next weekend (don't worry about that [ponder] ). I prefer to have no AI at all. They're annoying to hell in Civ3, and I'd do without them in the weird arena of simultaneous moves. With only 4 human players, a small map is better, I think, it will be enough for us to have a decent share of land (small maps are made for 6 civs IIRC). The map could have some water here and there if you want, but a real pelago or continental map would delay the action too much. I can start on Friday night if you want.

Matrix
14-02-2005, 02:07
I'm available. :)
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

...would delay the action too much.
So? Civ3 takes long anyway. I don't like using tricks to fasten the game; it usually also decreases fun.

Pangaea is kinda boring. [:P]

Markstar
14-02-2005, 03:12
Mmh, I'm not sure. Best would play both! [:p]

I like massive battles which would be favoured by pangea, but on the other hand sea warfare can be an extremely interesting aspect of the game as well.

akots?

akots
14-02-2005, 04:43
Pangea, noAI, small size map and start on Saturday if I may have an opinion. I cannot play on Friday until 10 pm here in Houston which is 5 am Saturday in Europe.

Socrates
14-02-2005, 08:59
Ah, too bad akots. If you ever take an afternoon off, please tell us so we can start on Friday evening ! Otherwise I'm confident I can sleep on Saturday morning without any problem, waiting for you lazy guy in GMT-6 to wake up ! [groucho]

No AI is a real requirement for me, I don't want artificial dumbness in this game. [tongue]

Pangea is fine with me, but like I said, if you want some seas here and there, I'm fine too. I just don't want contacts to be delayed until the late Middle Ages and so on... We could ask the map maker to connect our starting positions by land or coastal tiles...

Matrix, quote what you believe is a trick from what I said here, please ! :D Playing on Pangea isn't a trick in my book, nor is playing on a small map. [hmm] It's just that I expect to see some action before the end of the weekend, if you see what I mean... and I'm a slow player. [cry] But I expect us to follow some usual rules, I can write them this week, and you can come up with yours, and we decide then.

akots
14-02-2005, 09:35
I'm a fast player, so I'll be able to eat and go to the bathroom.[lol]

Socrates
14-02-2005, 13:48
quote:Originally posted by akots

I'm a fast player, so I'll be able to eat and go to the bathroom.[lol]

The player who hits "enter" last usually has some advantage... I know, I have the experience from Breda with me. [evil] I might be wiping out your cities as you eat and [do whatever you do in the bathroom] !! [groucho] Don't play too fast. ;) Does Matrix confirm ?

Markstar
14-02-2005, 19:07
Alright, alright, small pangea it is. Maybe on the second game we'll have a med island one. ;)

What about barbarians? And which Civs do you guys want?

akots
14-02-2005, 21:19
Nothing balance-breaking please like Iro. Either all civs with AA unique units (Rome, Persia, Babylon, Celts, Zulu, Greece etc) or early MA UU (China, Japan, Arabs, Mongols etc). Barbarians ... may be some but not too much.

Socrates
14-02-2005, 22:04
Like I said, I wanna play the Celts. Barbs ? : I could do without them for a change, ie. no camp, no hut. No AI. Level is up to you guys, I can live with Emperor, Demigod or Deity (it will only affect corruption and the tech pace). Disable SGLs. And of course no accelerated production (we're not chicken grown up for food). Disable Diplo victory if you want.

I think I covered everything here. This was my wish. What is yours ?

akots
14-02-2005, 22:42
To have more units, we can play on Emperor. This would lower corruption. Don't think Accelerated Production is a good option. Starting with a few extra settlers/workers might speed the things up.

Markstar
15-02-2005, 00:18
Mmh, I'm against additional settlers since we are already playing online. That should be quick enough.

Mmh, no Iros??? What am I going to play then? [scratch]

akots
15-02-2005, 00:38
I'd like (in order of preference) Egypt, Persia or Rome.

Socrates
15-02-2005, 00:43
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

Mmh, no Iros??? What am I going to play then? [scratch]

Markstar, time to change from your PTW habits !! ;) You said it yourself : you prefer the Iroquois as they are in PTW (I tend to think the opposite). I personally don't mind if someone wants to pick them BTW.

Col.Tarleton
15-02-2005, 00:49
Are you boys communicating,for playing purposes,by voice or typing?

akots
15-02-2005, 01:03
I guess we'll go to MSN. The ingame chat sucks.

Markstar
15-02-2005, 02:26
Yep, MSN it will probably be.

I think voice chat will just worsen the problem Civ has with MP (which is really sad for a strategy game, but we've been on that often enough I guess).

Markstar
16-02-2005, 15:01
Alright, these are the settings which I will use to ask a map with:

Map: small, pangea, roaming barbs, ~70% land.

Level: Emperor

akots: Egypt
Matrix: Japan
Krys: Celts
Markstar: Sumerian (since I can't take Iros ;))

Matrix
16-02-2005, 18:46
I have no problem with the in-game chat abilities, except that you don't see messages when you're in a city or advisor screen.

Matrix
18-02-2005, 22:17
Akots reminded me he's living in Houston, which is 7 hours earlier than Central European Time. So I suggested to start 3PM CET / 8AM USC.

Markstar
18-02-2005, 22:45
Works for me, might be a little early for akots, though.

akots
18-02-2005, 22:55
Fine with me, I will do my best to get up that early. matrix might be the host and start the game. I prefer to be the last so that I can keep the firewall up but we can go to MSN and discuss it tomorrow.

Beam
18-02-2005, 23:05
Your sav is in the MM forum, feel free to send a PM if there are problems starting the MP and changes in the biq are needed.

Markstar
18-02-2005, 23:19
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Your sav is in the MM forum, feel free to send a PM if there are problems starting the MP and changes in the biq are needed.
Mmh, I guess we'll see tomorrow. But I'm sure everyting will be fine.
3pm it is then.

Matrix
20-02-2005, 04:26
Here's the replay so far. :)

http://www.straland.com/junk/4player.avi

I've sailed around and know practically the entire map, so there's no big deal in having made this.