PDA

View Full Version : The Tower of Babel - OPEN THREAD

Socrates
29-01-2005, 16:03
NOT for Justus II, Stapel, grs, ERIKK, and their possible replacements until the game is over ! Don't read this thread if you're a replacement player, and don't replace anyone anymore if you read it !

5-p PBEM - [u]The Tower of Babel :</u>
version : C3C 1.22, "Ancient Mediterranean" mod v2.5j, "Fertile Crescent" map
world size : custom (loaded a random standard map for world size bug purpose)
land mass : custom
water coverage : custom
climate : custom
temperature : custom
barbarians : custom (unknown behaviour...)
player 5 - kryszcztov : Babylonians
human rivals : 4 (Minoans, Phoenicians, Persians, Egyptians)
AI rivals : 3 (Hittites, Assyrians, Medes)
AI agression : custom
available victories : all except Wonder
difficulty : Demigod
culturally linked start locations : Yes
respawn AI players : No
preserve random seed : Yes
allow cultural conversions : Yes

map made by : Thamis !

This game will be played along rules to be defined, probably close to RBCiv rules.

Socrates
29-01-2005, 16:23
STARTING POSITION

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/20051291579_TowerOfBabel01 8000BC StartingPosition.JPG
52.94KB

Another game using the TAM mod, but this time with 4 human opponents, and on the Fertile Crescent map. I start in the middle of Mesopotamia, where once stood the glorious city of Babylon... But wait... My settler founded a city on the starting spot and thus emerged... Babylon, once again ! :) Let's start a new era filled with food, luxuries, and decadence everywhere. [party]

The land around me isn't very powerful, but at least I have many grasslands, a river, and I am agricultural. I'm also scientific, which I hope will help me much in this slow mod. I start with Agriculture (!) and Nature Cult as techs. The former one doesn't lead to any future tech, but is very important : it allows irrigation and forest plantation. The latter one isn't so important for the beginning, but is at the root of an interesting part of the tech tree : it leads to Ceremonial Burial, Polytheism and Monarchy (this latest one with other techs as well). Those techs allow things like cult sites, temples, the FP, the Pyramids, etc... A world of wonders for the Babylonians, who are supposed to be the kings of culture, since they also start with their special ability : the ziggurat, an improvement only giving culture.

The goal is clear : use my agricultural trait to expand more than the other players, and use my cultural abilities to gain more tiles for my cities. I therefore set science on Ceremonial Burial at full speed (60% !), a 2nd-tier tech, and sent my initial warrior to the north-west, along River Euphrates. :) The idea is to meet Stapel as soon as possible, because he, as the Phoenicians, has 2 techs that are so important : Tools and Trade, allowing workers to mine and road tiles. And to add spice to the tale : ERIKK, as the Egyptians, start with the same techs than me !! [eek] I want to trade with Stapel before ERIKK reaches him. Justus II (Minoans) and grs (Persians) aren't my priority.

Socrates
28-03-2005, 18:42
I lost all my data (saves, screenshots, log text) in my HD crash. Here is a summary of what happened so far (from my memory).

I met Stapel in the north-west, and got 2 techs : Tools and Trade, but I had to give him 1 gpt. [lol] This warrior continued towards the west, discovering the Phoenician area, and then meeting the Hittites up north.

Meanwhile at home, I built a warrior and a worker, that I used for precious mining and roading. Then came a settler, and those intrepid guys founded a city, Ellipi, still along River Euphrates in the south-east.

Assyrians found it wise to settle north of Babylon, probably attracted by the fertile soil here. I was at least able to meet them too.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/2005328174152_TowerOfBabel101 6300BC HDCrash.JPG
137.1KB

Socrates
31-07-2005, 00:49
The pace of the game is slow.

I built a 3rd city NE of Babylon. I'm about to meet grs the Persian. No sign of Justus in southern Turkey. I wasn't the 1st to get CB, and now I'm researching, err... a tech after that. The pace of this mod is already slow, but people keep on holding the save, so I'm currently building one city every 3 months. [thumbsup]

Nothing more to say I guess.

Socrates
15-01-2006, 04:38
Was thinking of doing it from time to time, and now grs did it, so might as well do it too. This game died by itself, people not sending saves quickly and not sending saves at all in the end...

Not much to say about this, a bit of a waste of time, but that's not very important, I guess. :)