AI agression : normal
available victories : all except Wonder
difficulty : Emperor
culturally linked start locations : No
respawn AI players : No
preserve random seed : Yes
allow cultural conversions : Yes

map made by : Killer

This game will be played along rules to be defined, probably close to RBCiv rules.

Socrates
27-01-2005, 23:10
STARTING POSITION

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/200512723218_TheCat-kryszcztov01 4000BC StartingPosition.JPG
47.42KB

Here I am, test-playing our new friend from Brazil ! [cool] I requested a super map to Killer, he delivered us the map, is it cool enough ? [groucho] Well, the first 9 to be revealed were rather... normal ? [hmm] Where are my uber-tiles, dude ? Tundra up north ? [eek] Sounded more difficult than I had imagined...

To get away from tundra and to get closer to what seemed to be a flood plains valley, I moved the settler one tile south-east, to found Paris by the river on turn 2. Yes, there are some wheat flood plains here ! :D Meanwhile, TheCat settled right away ; if she has the same starting position, or of the same kind, it could be worse for her in the future. We'll see someday.

I started with Alphabet of course, whereas TheCat did not. Emperor level, so the idea is clear : I must win the Philo race. So I set science on Writing at full speed, and put my citizen on the wheat tile. Max food + low production = how much commerce ? [groucho] Tricky equation.

Socrates
27-01-2005, 23:30
I WANNA WRITE, MAN, I WANNA WRITE !

A hut was lying just outside of Paris's borders, and my warrior was due before they would expand. So I built a worker first (after 8 turns !), that would prove handy pretty soon. On turn 12, borders expanded, popping the hut, which gave me maps : not so cool, but useful anyway.

On turn 16 Paris sent a settler to the south, along the river, and those people founded Orleans on turn 18, which connected the wines that one of my workers had already roaded : the tile was now in my territory. Luxes were very important for me soon, since food was high. 4 turns later the other worker connected furs in the north. [cool] That made 2 luxes on turn 22 ! Here is a pic of the land on the following turn, as my workers are about to irrigate the large flood plains valley with a total of 4 wheats inside !! [eek] Note that the 2 tiles which look like desert in the south of the river (but not by the river) are in fact flood plains. [hmm] A Killer's oddity.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/2005127232130_TheCat-kryszcztov02 2850BC TwoLuxuries.JPG
115.72*KB

At this time I was still in farmer gambit mode, but not for long, since I needed MP and protection for my settlers. I didn't feel the urge to meet my Emperor AI friends, as my plan was already in place : Great Library. That's why I wasn't exploring very far away. So Orleans started to build some warriors. It proved useful quickly, because I found a barb camp in the south-east. Unfortunately, I lost a warrior there, despite having better odds on offence (after surviving a 1st barb attack).

On turn 29 I founded Lyons on the other side of the flood valley, by the sea, on a flood plains tile. I wonder if I can get disease from that only ? [hmm] A warrior in the south met the Dutch on turn 30 ; I was happy with it, because there was one tech I really wanted soon enough : Bronze Working, to be able to build spearmen if I wanted to. So I gave them Masonry for it, and got their 10 gold. The bastards destroyed the barb camp under my nose. [wallbash] I should have kept my warrior, it wasn't worth 25 gold anyway...

On turn 32 (in 30 turns of research) I discovered Writing. :) Of course William didn't have it, so it was time to gamble : I set science on Code of Laws at full speed. I saw Hammurabi's one in the Musée du Louvre, and so I know it's worth getting it quickly.

Lt. Killer M
28-01-2005, 01:04
krys: the floodplain tiles are an error resulting I 'thunk' from using MapTweaker. Sorry!

grs
28-01-2005, 11:02
quote:On turn 29 I founded Lyons on the other side of the flood valley, by the sea, on a flood plains tile. I wonder if I can get disease from that only ? Yes, this tile is always worked, so it can give disease and will do that very probably soon.

Socrates
28-01-2005, 11:21
quote:Originally posted by grs

quote:On turn 29 I founded Lyons on the other side of the flood valley, by the sea, on a flood plains tile. I wonder if I can get disease from that only ? Yes, this tile is always worked, so it can give disease and will do that very probably soon.

OK thanks, it was still blurry for me. Not that big of a deal, since this town grows every 3 turns... :D I'll miss some scientists if that happens. It is very low on shields, even on mid-term projection, so it can only grow a lot (no possiblity of building workers by dozens so far).

No problem Killer, we can see how the program works : those flood plains not by the river give 3 food (one less in Despo), and NO commerce of course. I would have preferred some deserts to mine but oh well.

Lt. Killer M
28-01-2005, 12:14
krys, I intended deserts for mining, too :( over-fooding a map is boooring.

Socrates
05-02-2005, 00:55
I WANNA MAKE LAWS, MAN, AND I WANNA BE A PHILOSOPHER TOO !

So I was researching Code of Laws at full speed. I indeed got it on turn 46, and started research on Philosophy. I was emphasizing a bit on science over production, so I had many beakers to add every turn. :)

The settling phase was now progressing well :
- Rheims on turn 39 ;
- Tours on turn 40 ;
- Marseilles on turn 45 ;
- Chartres on turn 49 (popping a hut, giving me Ceremonial Burial) ;
- Avignon on turn 51.
During this process, I lost 2 warriors to barbs, and I also lost a worker a bit later. :( To add to that, I was raped by a pair of barbs twice :
- Orleans, lost its production and 1 citizen ;
- Avignon, destroyed the camp by founding the city (+25 gold), lost 9 + 8 gold, so in the end the result there was positive. :D
I also destroyed some other camps, but with so few warriors, it was difficult. I should have kept my warriors for later.

On turn 52 I got spices connected to my empire, which meant a 3rd luxury. [goodjob] With the high food on this map, it is an important step to comfort. But more than just a lux, something cool happened on turn 53 (1675BC), pics tell it better : ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/20052504543_TheCat-kryszcztov03 1675BC Philosophy.JPG
54.37KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/20052504611_TheCat-kryszcztov04 1675BC Republic.JPG
53.09KB

[party] And so I fell in anarchy at the end of the turn, and drew a cool 4-turn anarchy period. [groucho] I set science on Literature at full speed as well, which for the moment only meant some scientists (like in Lyons, the super-high-food city). I was happy because, with 3 luxes and with cities being not that big (because many of them were building settlers or workers), I didn't have any starvation problem during the anarchy period. [thumbsup] The cities were all growing like under another government, so I basically gave my cities 4 free turns to grow, which couldn't hurt them.

On turn 57 (1575BC) The French were a Republic and ready to rock with their traits combo. :) The new Republic was not very large and rather weak in military, but it was only a matter of time before it would outgrow everyone else. 55 turns to get Republic is a nice score, but remember we're on Emperor.

&lt;insert pic of empire - server error&gt;

Socrates
30-07-2005, 23:33
Oh, there were more turns played and an entire empire to show, but TheCat disappeared from PBEMing a looong time ago, and so this game has 98% chance to never resume. The more I wait, the less I want to resume a game, in general. Plus I want Civ4 now, I have enough of Civ3's numerous oddities.

EDIT : This game is dead, I don't want to resume it. But it's quite useless to state it.