PDA

View Full Version : Corus Chess Tournament

Kemal
24-01-2005, 15:41
I suppose most of the people interested in chess here already knew it has been going on, and perhaps are already following the matches via the internet, but currently the best chess players in the world (minus Kasparov, unfortunately) play each other in Wijk aan Zee, in the highly acclaimed Corus chess tournament.

For those interested in following the games live and checking up on how the tournament is progressing:

http://www.coruschess.com/

akots
31-01-2005, 09:51
The tournament has been finished and was won by Peter Leko (8.5 points out of 13) from Hungary who showed a remarkable performance, probably one of his best over recent years. Second came Anand and Topalov was the third. Kramnik failed miserably getting only 7 points and the only Dutch grandmaster van Wely scored 50% (6.5 points) sharing places 8-10 with Ponomariov and Bruzon.

The site offers all games of the tournament in the pgn format as well as online pgn viewer which does not work neither with IE nor with Mozilla at least on my computer. But there are a plently of shareware viewers to download.

Kemal
31-01-2005, 10:52
One could argue there was another Dutch GM participating in the tournament, Ivan Sokolov... but with his disastrous performance, he has suddenly become a Bosnian GM again to most Dutch people I suppose... ;)

akots
31-01-2005, 11:04
IMO, 3.5 points in such tournament is a very decent results for I.Sokolov. He just lost a few extra games to exceptionally strong opponents apparently due to form fluctuation from excellent to disastrous in Hattrick terms. But I did not know he became a Dutch citizen. The other famous A.Sokolov actually immigrated from Russia to France.

Kemal
31-01-2005, 11:15
The playfield was of exceptional quality, agreed, but still even Sokolov I think won't be very happy with the results, especially considering he only scored just over half the total of van Wely, his eternal arch-enemy (or at least for the Dutch title that is). :)