PDA

View Full Version : Pound away once more - One more player needed!

Matrix
21-01-2005, 21:28
I wanted to wait for this until DDPP is over (for me), but with Civ4 coming closer and closer I don't think I can wait much longer.

I was thinking about another multimultiplayer PBEM. Minimum of six player and no AI.
I prefer a non-balanced map. [evil] But I fear I won't find enough players then (if at all), so I'm not too strict on that.
The rest is open to debate.

Now concerning the progress of such a game: most don't really go that fast. But Fab Four shows that it is possible! So please, only respond if you're able and willing to play this PBEM usually at any time in the evening and preferably also during the day.

Who'd be interested?

grs
21-01-2005, 21:51
I am in, though six sounds high.

StrictlyRockers
22-01-2005, 05:45
Hey Matrix. This sounds like just what I am looking for. I am available for the length of the game and able to pass the turn on quickly.

Black_Waltz
22-01-2005, 12:17
Oh. Yes please. I'm avalible any time of the day and I'm a sad tosser so I don't have much of a social life to get in the way of Civ gaming. :-p I definitly don't mind an unbalanced map either. Makes things more exciting. What difficulty are you thinking of?

Matrix
22-01-2005, 13:58
quote:Originally posted by Black_Waltz

What difficulty are you thinking of?
I think Monarch is best. With Emperor or higher luxuries are very important in the beginning, but almost just as important later in the game.

grs
22-01-2005, 16:09
I would even consider a random map, but I would prefer emperor, because it gives more civs a chance, since exp. and rel. get slightly better on that level.

Black_Waltz
22-01-2005, 16:27
I would prefer Monarch. As I'm someone who has only just mastered Regent. But I will go with majority opinion. :-p

Kingreno
22-01-2005, 16:32
I'll join the party IF:

"a non-balanced map" is replaced by a "slightly balanced map", where the main point is that no player has 3 cows and 6 luxes and no player has a tiny jungle-island without any fresh water. If you really want no balance at all, I'm out, if my proposal is acceptable, I am in. No hard feelings either way. :)

Matrix
22-01-2005, 17:07
I was already thinking about the same thing, KingReno. ;) So you're in.

StrictlyRockers
22-01-2005, 18:42
I would prefer Emperor, but Monarch is a close second to me. Monarch is fine too. I think it would be great fun to do this with a random map. Just have a moderator or trusted veteran player check the map at start to make sure that it is not grossly unbalanced. i.e. No one starts with two cows or two wheats and no one has a horrid jungle start. I vote for a Pangea map, and then also have the moderator check to see that no one starts on an island.

On the other hand, the map that akots and I are had made is quite interesting. These custom made maps are really a treat. Anyway, this sounds like it should be a good game.

grs
23-01-2005, 15:34
A pangea is ok with me, continents would be too. If we are 5 or 6 players we could go with a small map, to get some action quite soon.

Matrix
23-01-2005, 17:58
I prefer continents myself! DDPP is already pangaea (even though it's not one continent).

Grs, may I also remind you that the longer a game takes, the more fun it is. ;) And that doesn't mean it has to run for two years. [mischief] I even thought about playing the first thirty/fourty turns online. Is that feasible?

We're now with five participants. Shall we wait for one more?

grs
23-01-2005, 18:45
I don't think it is possible to play online and switch to PBEM then, but if we can arrange a time and date for a starting powersession of some hours I will gladly to that.

I suggested a small map, because with 5 or 6 players without AI on a standard map you will have a long phase of settling only - I can do that in SP too. A small map would offer the appropriate ammount of land for these numbers of players. I have to admit though, that I plan on a more unusual civ choice and a very large map benefits the "standard" aggiculturals too much for my taste. The trait is strong enough.

StrictlyRockers
23-01-2005, 19:34
I agree with what grs just said. Five or six is a good amount of players. Pangea is better for this style I think, but continents is alright, too.

Unfortunately there is no way to switch to PBEM from another format. I have requested this option be put in Civ4. It sounds like it will be.

Playing a power session is the only way to advance things to the action part quickly. I am up for that if we can get everyone together for a few hours and all try to pass within a few minutes (seconds) of receiving the save.

SR

Matrix
23-01-2005, 20:06
quote:Originally posted by grs

I suggested a small map, because with 5 or 6 players without AI on a standard map you will have a long phase of settling only - I can do that in SP too. A small map would offer the appropriate ammount of land for these numbers of players. I have to admit though, that I plan on a more unusual civ choice and a very large map benefits the "standard" aggiculturals too much for my taste. The trait is strong enough.

My problem with this is that most of the game's history will occur in the Ancient Era, while the game gets more fun afterwards.

Added: this is mainly the reason I wanted to start a game with at least six people. A game that is not over quickly (in number of turns), nor is too boring in the beginning. That plus the complicated diplomacy is what made DDPP my favorite game by far.

I'd like to know KingReno's and Black_Waltz's opinion on this as well. :)
quote:Originally posted by StrictlyRockers

Unfortunately there is no way to switch to PBEM from another format.
That's not true! I've even done it. In PTW it can't be done, but in Conquests it can. :)

One simply saves the game, and loads it in the multiplayer screen and starts as PBEM. Then you get to fill in the admin password and your own, just like when you play the first turn of a normal PBEM.

Kingreno
23-01-2005, 20:27
quote:Ah well, I'll go along with the majority. I'd like to know KingReno's and Black_Waltz's opinion on this as well.

Ok here goes:
-Emperor level please.
-Standard size map, 70% water, continents. Good battles in the longer run.
-SIX players! More fun, more alliance-possiblities.
-The game will go fast enough I think, so a powersession is great but arranging one may prove difficult.

grs
23-01-2005, 21:29
Ok, I will go with either size, but my preference for small was not too shorten the game, just not to strengthen agri. anymore. 6 players sounds better, so lets wait a bit more to get another.

StrictlyRockers
23-01-2005, 22:11
I agree with all of kingreno's settings. I want everything set just like that, except I really think pangea is more appropriate for this game. With continents it is a whole different ballgame, but it could be just as fun. I'm ok either way, but I vote for pangea here.

Black_Waltz
23-01-2005, 22:23
I'm a tad worried with the Emperor level. But I will make sure I get a little practice in beforehand in order to deal with the added unhappiness penalty. Is the standard way to deal with this simply added lux tax until you find some luxories? It should be time for me to move up in levels in single player, anyway. So this should be good training. :-p

As for other set ups. I can see peoples concerns about Continents. It may lead to people being cut off a tad. Of course there is the fact that suicide galleys should be pretty plentiful... I think I would prefer Continents. As for land size. Small is a tad... Small for me. Normally I play huge maps so standard will be a good idea. Anything else, I have no prefrence.

And a powersession sounds great. I will definitly be avalible. I'm ALWAYS avalible. It would take an earthquake to make me unavalible. Considering I live in Scotland that's fairly unlikely.

Haruka
23-01-2005, 22:56
Is there any more room for me? I don't care that much about the Map settings, as long as it's slightly balanced.

It'll be my first PBEM... [blush2]

Matrix
23-01-2005, 23:59
There's still room, Haruka. :) In fact, we were waiting for a sixth player!

I do hope you realise the commitment a PBEM with six participants asks, though, since it's your first one. To let this game run at one turn a day minimum you should be able to play it at any time of the evening (unless you live India or something).

Haruka
24-01-2005, 00:04
I can play almost everyday (Almost = Like 364 days a year), but when does this start? I will be away Jan 28-31...

I live in NY...

StrictlyRockers
24-01-2005, 07:42
Haruka makes six. Let's fire this one up.

Matrix
24-01-2005, 13:25
quote:Originally posted by Haruka

I will be away Jan 28-31...
That's no problem. :)

I'll post this in the Map Making forum now.

Edit: Wait! We need to pick civs. I'd like to be Sumeria. (Since agricultural seems to be so powerful. [rolleyes])

Black_Waltz
24-01-2005, 13:51
France for me.

grs
24-01-2005, 15:48
Just a question before I pick:

Emperor level, 70% standard continents seems to be agreed, but what about barbs? Restless and Raging are the most interesting setting to me, but I sure can live with any other (but none maybe). Don't think we need to vote this out, but I would just have the info before I pick.

Matrix
24-01-2005, 16:28
I don't care about barbs. If you want raging: sure.

Black_Waltz
24-01-2005, 17:58
Restless is second highest level, no? Probably may be best to go for that one. Of course, not that barbarians are that much of a threat on Conquests.

grs
24-01-2005, 18:22
Yes, restless is second. I just wanted to check, if an expansionist civ is worthwhile and it is with either setting.

So, if we do not change anything to drastically in the last moment I'll take the Portugese.

grs
24-01-2005, 19:39
We should fix a good play order before posting the request. We have 3 players on GMT+1 (Matrix, Kingreno, grs), 1 player on GMT (BlackWaltz), 1 player on GMT-5 (Haruka), 1 player on GMT-8 (StricktlyRockers), if I got this correct. I can play in the morning (maybe not for the next years, but I can do so at least now), so we could go:

grs, Kingreno, Matrix, BlackWaltz, Haruka, StricktlyRockers.

Is this a good idea? Any better?

Kingreno
24-01-2005, 19:42
Aztecs please.

Haruka
24-01-2005, 21:12
Hmm... I'll try the Dutch.

No opinion on Barbarians. However, wouldn't more barbarians mean more luck?

Black_Waltz
25-01-2005, 02:21
More barbarians means more curtailing on expansionist civilizations, more unit promotions, slightly hampered settlers... But the AI behaviour is a tad broken on Conquests so they are not that harmful.

StrictlyRockers
25-01-2005, 06:52
I'll take Maya. Everything sounds good. I still urge people to consider how the game dynamics would change with a Pangea map. I'm happy either way. Continents is what people usually play.

grs
25-01-2005, 12:20
quote:More barbarians means more curtailing on expansionist civilizations[snip] Hmm, if my English does not fail here, I understand you think barbs make expansionists worse? I consider it vice versa, but since I am the only exp. in the game I will happily take that disadvantage :)

I just can repeat: The only thing I wanted to make sure, is that expansionist is a worthwhile trait and it would not be if we had barbs off, or a untypically low density of huts. I only suggested one of the higher settings, since it adds a bit more difficulty to the initial game.

Black_Waltz
25-01-2005, 16:03
You're right. With more barbs then obviously there is more chance that your initial scout will be captured when he is on his walkabouts. But I suppose the flipside is true - if you are lucky and keep your scout safe.

Matrix
25-01-2005, 16:46
Ideally for an expantionist civ you'd want to have the barbarians 'sedentary'. That means they only appear out of huts. :)

A map request has been posted.

StrictlyRockers
26-01-2005, 06:29
For convenience, my email is cjpurdin at yahoo

Haruka
26-01-2005, 13:40
Mine is sakuraton at yahoo.

Black_Waltz
26-01-2005, 19:38
black_waltz at tiscali.co.uk

Best way to contact me as far as diplomacy and such is probably via PM. Don't tend to be on instant messenger programs that much I'm affraid.

StrictlyRockers
05-02-2005, 07:04
What's up with this game? Is the map ready? It's been over a week now.

Matrix
05-02-2005, 12:06
Nobody wants to make a map. :(

StrictlyRockers
06-02-2005, 00:54
We could just go for it with a random map. Everyone can have one mulligan, to be used only if you have an absolutely miserable start location. Otherwise, we continue and play it out with what we get.

grs
06-02-2005, 12:26
Ok with me.

Matrix
06-02-2005, 12:52
I've started the game. Let's all post our starting position here, so that we know if starting positions aren't too different.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/20052612514_PoundStartMatrix.jpg
40.71KB

Matrix
06-02-2005, 13:28
It's added to the Turn Tracker (http://www.straland.com/turntracker/pound.php) as well now.

Kingreno
06-02-2005, 17:03
[sad]That no-one wanted to make an esay map.

I guess we'll just have to accept this then. [wallbash]

StrictlyRockers
07-02-2005, 01:05
I'm not too experienced with posting parts of screen shots. I don't have good software for that. I can post a screenshot of the whole screen, or maybe just describe my start location in writing.

Matrix
07-02-2005, 02:33
Either way is fine. :)

Black_Waltz
07-02-2005, 03:30
It looks to me as if I am on an extremely narrow peninsula surrounded by sea. There is definitly sea to the south and it looks like coast to the north. I hope that is not the case. Anyway. Turn taken. Sent on to whoever follows me.

Matrix
07-02-2005, 12:12
What about bonus/luxury resources? Do you think you can expand fast enough? (Or too fast? [mischief])

Beam said yesterday he forgot about our map request, so he was just half a day too late. [rolleyes] But if someone else has an awkward or a paradise start, we can still ask him.

Black_Waltz
08-02-2005, 02:54
I have one lux so it is not all bad. Just afraid for explansion. I still think it would be best to ask Beam.

Oh. And.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

sakuratron@yahoo.com

Can you give me a working address please?

Haruka
09-02-2005, 00:02
Oops... it's a typo. It's supposed to be "sakuraton@yahoo.com", no "r".

grs
09-02-2005, 00:17
Hmm...would be nice to see it someday...

Haruka
09-02-2005, 02:11
Hmm... would be nice to know where I could find this random map...

grs
09-02-2005, 09:49
I am just surprised we need 3 days to pass a 4000BC save 3 times, nothing personal.

Kingreno
09-02-2005, 10:38
Concur with grs.

If this is the pace we should either change the sequence of play or forget about the whole idea.

Matrix
09-02-2005, 13:23
I wouldn't jump in conclusions after just one turn on the other hand. We just need to get into our stride.

Matrix
10-02-2005, 15:19
StrictlyRockers
Please play the turn right now please.

StrictlyRockers
11-02-2005, 08:00
I would love to pass it. I have been looking for the turn every day. I have not received it. My email address is cjpurdin AT yahoo.

I will pass it within a few hours of receipt.

StrictlyRockers
11-02-2005, 08:06
Is this the thread we are using for our turn tracker? It would be good to set up a thread just for that. That way whenever someone passes the turn they can post that information so we can see if there has been a problem with the email or something. I am confident that things will progress smoothly once we work through the first turn bugs.

Matrix
11-02-2005, 12:50
Indeed.

Let's continue here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2391). ;) This forum has served it's purpose.

Matrix
16-02-2005, 17:50
Since Black_Waltz is suddenly gone and not responding, we'd like to find another player.
Please, do check in. ;)

grahamiam
16-02-2005, 22:11
quote:So please, only respond if you're able and willing to play this PBEM usually at any time in the evening and preferably also during the day.
i'll play if you have me. however, i work fulltime, 50-60hrs per week, so don't expect me to play more than evenings during the week. i usually can do days during the weekend (mornings), but they are usually busy with kids and stuff, so i usually do mornings and then evenings.

if you want me, email is gramiam at gmail dot com
i am very curious how multiplayer diplomacy works....

also, how does the turntraker work? i submit the game and it spits an email to the next player?

Kingreno
16-02-2005, 22:23
Your welcome Graham. I don't expect any powersessions anyway, so a turn a day (or so) is more then fine with me.:)

grs
16-02-2005, 23:51
Yep welcome, just chose a civ.

The open discussion and info thread is here http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2391

StrictlyRockers
19-02-2005, 23:00
Welcome here Gramiam. You will fit well into the scheme. I don't know if we have any USA East Coast players yet, so the turn can rotate around the globe in good order like this hopefully.

grs
20-02-2005, 00:12
Hi SR, could you play your turn this year?

StrictlyRockers
20-02-2005, 01:16
I see that it says that Haruka passed it to me, but I have not gotten it. I will email him about it.

Haruka
20-02-2005, 06:07
I've sent it to you. That's funny, because I did upload the save...

Kingreno
20-02-2005, 10:05
[hmm]

Haruka
20-02-2005, 14:14
That means that I just emailed the save the SR because he said that he didn't get the save.

Or were you adding that smilie for me because I wanted that smilie on my post, but I was too lazy? [:p]

StrictlyRockers
20-02-2005, 21:14
Can someone doublecheck to make sure the turn tracker is sending to my correct email address when Haruka sends? My email is cjpurdin AT yahoo

Matrix
20-02-2005, 23:15
".com" I suppose? Then that's correct.

Shall we stick to the other thread from now on? ;) Keeps it more orderly.