PDA

View Full Version : Cat vs Beam -- ****SPOILER****

TheCat
09-01-2005, 01:37
Well start point is nice enough, founded my city right there. I'm producing a warrior so I can open the hut right away. The worker will mine. Science at 80%, I'm researching pottery to begin with.

http://www.civ3.com.br/forum/files/pic_10.jpg

TheCat
09-01-2005, 01:42
Seventh turn and nothing very new. I finally produced a warrior. I'm gonna open the hut: Barbarians. I'm surely gonna be attacked. My worker finished mining and is now making a road.
http://www.civ3.com.br/forum/files/pic_2.jpg

TheCat
09-01-2005, 01:43
I hate barbarians.

My warrior has held with 1 hp. One of the barbarians is on the hills. I moved my worker inside the city and the warrior over the mine. We will see what happens.
http://www.civ3.com.br/forum/files/pic_1_190.jpg

TheCat
09-01-2005, 01:44
Well, the barbarian hasn't attacked my warrior, he will stay there and recover. The one on the hills is still fortified. I'll deal with it later. I get another warrior in 1 t and my city will grown in 2t. Worker is still in the city.

TheCat
09-01-2005, 01:47
Well, turn 11. The city has grown and produces yet another warrior for exploring. One of my warriors goes to explore the territory while the other protects the worker, which will mine the terrain. I'm waiting for the warrior to climb down that hill.

http://www.civ3.com.br/forum/files/1_213.jpg

TheCat
09-01-2005, 01:48
Barbarian has moved... and died. My warrior didn't lose any hp. My worker began mining and I should have another warrior in 1t. No luxury so far!

http://www.civ3.com.br/forum/files/pic_1_159.jpg

Rik Meleet
09-01-2005, 02:10
It usually isn't smart to pop huts if you aren't ready for barbarians. You were forced to retreat your worker because of it.

TheCat
09-01-2005, 02:12
Yeah sometimes I ponder on it, but luckily the mine was already done. Still an impromptu tech would help :(

akots
09-01-2005, 02:37
The game looks kinda strange. Half-German and half-English. Mostly German apparently. very peculiar. :)

TheCat
09-01-2005, 02:44
LOL I agree akots, it looks strange, but somehow we manage to play, we, sick civ players, don't need the tags anymore I guess! ;)

digger760
10-01-2005, 14:32
Keramik???? what tech is that???

Lt. Killer M
10-01-2005, 15:28
Pottery.

TheCat: one option about this hut would have moving the stttler and popping it by settling, or waiting until your borders expand. antoher I often use is simply not building troops for ten turns, which means the hut will not give barbs (if you have no unit with a defence value >1 you can't pop barbs!)

TheCat
10-01-2005, 21:33
Hey, that's news for me killer... see??? I have A LOT to learn!!!!

But the last two huts also got barbs and I had no troops under 1 :(

Schip
10-01-2005, 23:10
I think Killer means no troops except workers, settlers or scouts. Well if you have scouts you cannot pop babs because you are expansionist. Basically, no mill -> no barbs. It is a risk though.

ProPain
11-01-2005, 03:16
As long as you don't own any military (i.e. units with attack or defense >=1 ) you wont get barbs from popping a hut. In this case you could have gone for 3 options.

1- Wait for the border expand to pop it and dont produce any warrior untill then
2- Move the settler next to it and pop it by settling (will never give barbs even if you do own military)
3- Pop it with the worker before you build any warriors.

Also you'll never get a settler from a hut when you own a settler or are producing one, but chances for a settler increase when you own less cities than average. On deity this means you have a better chance of popping a settler after a few turns when the AI have usually settled both starting settlers. In this case you could have tried to go for that, but I guess that would have meant stalling the warrior build for 1 turn unless you're a indus civ (road in 2 instead of3. You would have lost 2 worker turns though (moving up and down from the hill)

TheCat
11-01-2005, 05:16
oboy... see, I know I'd learn...

Kemal
11-01-2005, 09:31
Hmm, are you sure your chances *increase* for having less than the average number of cities of all players, pp?

I always thought that it was an all or nothing thing, i.e. if you have equal or less than the average, you can pop a settler (doesn't modify the actual chance of popping one from a hut though), whereas if you have more than the average, if you'd pop a settler and the game sees the requirement of having less or equal to the average amount of cities unfulfilled, you get a warrior instead. But perhaps I'm mistaken here, and this was purely a PTW thing, my experience with C3C is, even now, still somewhat limited. :)

ProPain
11-01-2005, 13:45
interesting question Kemal, I've always been convinced you still had a change to pull a settler even if you had more than average cities. However I never really paid attention to it so I cant say I ever pulled a settler having above average number of cities. I consider your knowlegde to be more in depth than mine so you're probably right.

Pulling a warrior from a hut after getting par in cities will never be the same..... A beautifull settler just died [cry]

Lt. Killer M
11-01-2005, 13:50
kemal, I once got a settler on turn 3 - which would have meant the AIs teleported their second settler.....

only explanation would be all AIs were on mountains and moved into different directions.

Darkness
24-02-2005, 11:04
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

kemal, I once got a settler on turn 3 - which would have meant the AIs teleported their second settler.....

only explanation would be all AIs were on mountains and moved into different directions.

IIRC you can only get a settler from a GH if:
- You have no active settlers walking around
- You are not building any settlers
- Your number of cities is equal to or lower than the average number of cities the AI's have

Rik Meleet
24-02-2005, 12:22
I think this post describes pretty much what the popping huts and chances and conditions are on popping settlers from huts.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2540600&postcount=15