PDA

View Full Version : Civ4 revival #3?

Matrix
26-06-2020, 01:09
I enjoyed the last two games a lot! So now I'm wondering about a third game. I'd definitely like to do it again, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But I'm not sure how many players we'd be able to find this time. We scared off my Finnish friends, who either didn't know the game so well or were hoping to play SimCity in a different context. And something tells me this was a one time back-to-the-old-glory thing for Stapel and ProPain. We'll never see BrunchTime ever again either.

So my suggestion would be that we hereby announce another game...to be started in September. Summer is not a good time for gaming, but this will also give us plenty of time to find more players. I'll put up the same announcement on the other site and then we'll see if we have enough.

Who's in? [guns]

Beorn
26-06-2020, 03:34
I'm perfectly willing to play the punching bag on a pangea where you guys can reap some retribution for the last 2. And/or to take the time to build a properly balanced map.

Beam
27-06-2020, 13:58
+1

Provided I manage to get it installed. Does it run on Win 10? And I'll need some time to learn how to play it but with a game starting in september that should not be a problem.

Lt. Killer M
29-06-2020, 00:19
well, after that most ignominious last game I am sure willing to spend some [estwing] time!

socralynnek
29-06-2020, 00:55
I am unsure. September is far enough away, but time was quite limited since mid of march for playing...

Beorn
30-09-2020, 18:24
Back to stay-at-home here for the 2nd wave. All the time in the world. Want a map?

And Beam, since no one answered: it works fine on Win10

Lt. Killer M
01-10-2020, 07:27
I'm game!

Matrix
01-10-2020, 19:38
Heh, I guess I better start another then. ;)

I can ask Jeke again to make another map. I've already explained to him that Killer's start last time was not exactly promising, so that should be avoided!

Since last time, I've got a new PC and have been too lazy to sell or give away the old one, so that can be the server now. Port forwarding is not really an option anymore though, so I suggest we use a virtual VPN this time. ZeroTier is an excellent option for this; very light, hardly any lag (if at all), and quite user friendly.

I'll make a thread on the other site as well. Let's give it two weeks and start on Sunday 18 November.

So who's in? Killer, Beorn, Beam, me... Socralynnek?

Beorn
01-10-2020, 23:49
Whatever works! Could I access a virtual VPN'd game from another VPN (I got Nord) or is it a shared connection through a specific VPN kindof deal?

Either way, looking forward to skipping an entire month and starting this game in November, in 2 weeks.

socralynnek
02-10-2020, 02:22
Whatever works! Could I access a virtual VPN'd game from another VPN (I got Nord) or is it a shared connection through a specific VPN kindof deal?

Either way, looking forward to skipping an entire month and starting this game in November, in 2 weeks.

This 2020 already feels like it had a few months extra...will it ever end? On the other hand, time flies and so much not enough time for...
whatever.

I'll think about whether I can commit myself to play another one, not sure yet.

socralynnek
15-10-2020, 03:29
Heh, I guess I better start another then. ;)

I can ask Jeke again to make another map. I've already explained to him that Killer's start last time was not exactly promising, so that should be avoided!

Since last time, I've got a new PC and have been too lazy to sell or give away the old one, so that can be the server now. Port forwarding is not really an option anymore though, so I suggest we use a virtual VPN this time. ZeroTier is an excellent option for this; very light, hardly any lag (if at all), and quite user friendly.

I'll make a thread on the other site as well. Let's give it two weeks and start on Sunday 18 November.

So who's in? Killer, Beorn, Beam, me... Socralynnek?

November or October? I could play from 21st of October on

Beorn
15-10-2020, 05:44
Pretty sure he meant this week, but he made the same mistake on both fora.

Matrix
15-10-2020, 14:39
Yes, I made the same mistake twice. Seems there's only five of us this time, though. Does that suffice? Should we add AI?

Beorn
15-10-2020, 16:28
Chieftain? Deity? Monarch?

Shabbaman
16-10-2020, 09:46
Unicorn?

Lt. Killer M
16-10-2020, 11:51
nah, let's go w/o additional idiots ;)

Matrix
16-10-2020, 13:17
Alright! In that case I suggest a standard sized map, pangaea, high sea level.

And if someone knows how to replace horses with unicorns, that'd be great!

Beorn
16-10-2020, 19:29
In civ 3 we could do it locally, not sure about 4 though.

Beorn
01-11-2020, 13:45
Wait, so was it in November?

Beam
05-11-2020, 13:14

Sorry peeps, I played a testgame a while ago but the gameplay is so different from Civ5 that I would have to start from scratch and I don't have the time / patience for that. But I would be happy to follow the game and / or provide help with the map!

Beorn
07-11-2020, 13:46
I felt the same for the first game but it comes back real quick. Plus you have time to take the rust off with a single player game or two early on before anytging happens.

Matrix
11-11-2020, 11:51
Sorry for my absence, I'm gonna work on this now. We'll have to use a virtual LAN this time, though. I'm not going to expose all the internet's vile onto my machine anymore. Added advantage: multiple people can be logged in at the same. ZeroTier will be the tool, as it's light and effective. You'll get instructions once it's set up; it's not complicated.

Beam, it'd be wonderful if you'd join anyway. You've played Civ4 plenty of times and you'll get the hang of it soon enough. ;) Besides, my parents live in Tilburg nowadays, so we might actually do some actual face-to-face diplomacy at some point. [:D] And recollect memories - thanks to you I've seen Neil Peart in action before it was too late. :rolleyes:

Beorn
17-11-2020, 06:28
ZeroTier downloaded ; are we gonna hit the Nov 18 mark? :rolleyes:

Matrix
25-11-2020, 20:38
Ah, sorry for the silence. I haven't asked Jeke for a map yet and TBH I've had a little too many other things to do lately. Nothing bad, just a lot.

I do have to admit though, that the spirit is a little off with such a small group. Nonetheless, sorry, I should've replied sooner.

During Christmas I probably have time to set this up. :rolleyes:

Beorn
26-11-2020, 05:29
[dance][wave][dance]

Lt. Killer M
29-11-2020, 23:03
No worries, Matrix!

Maybe we can scare up one or two more at the known site until then ;)
I'll give it a shot - my nick(s) there may have a certain pull that differs from yours.

Beam
04-12-2020, 10:25
Beam, it'd be wonderful if you'd join anyway. You've played Civ4 plenty of times and you'll get the hang of it soon enough. ;) Besides, my parents live in Tilburg nowadays, so we might actually do some actual face-to-face diplomacy at some point. [:D] And recollect memories - thanks to you I've seen Neil Peart in action before it was too late. :rolleyes:

You're very welcome! However not in Breda anymore. Got a nice job in the hospital in Roermond recently where I also co-own a small sailing yacht. And not far from Tilburg either.

Have fun with the new game. @Killer, you got even more nicks now at that site? LOL!

Lt. Killer M
04-12-2020, 10:51
nah, just those two.