PDA

View Full Version : Hungry for more

Matrix
08-10-2019, 15:12
The revival of the Civ4 pitboss seemed to be a success and some of us are interested in a rematch. So let's try and find some more people!

We were rather fortunate with the random world map, but it would be nicer if we could find someone willing to balance a new map when we start this game. If we have some newbies again, perhaps they should be given a better starting position. (Although a lecture in civving might be more appropriate.)

I was also thinking: if some prefer a pangaea while others prefer a remote location, perhaps we can tailor a map to meet everyone's desire? Not too sure how it will work out when we already know in advance what their geographical situation.

Another thing is deciding democratically on the option. I am strongly in favour of a no tech trading (boring and tedious diplomacy that leaves isolated players hopeless), but for the rest I don't really care. No city razing was not so popular, or should perhaps also be done in combination with no barbarians.

Players so far
Beorn
Matrix
Lt. 'Killer' M.
ProPain
socralynnek
BrunchTime
Stapel

Same thread on the other site (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lets-get-this-old-beast-back-on-the-road.650537/)

Beorn
08-10-2019, 19:37
As an intermediate to city razing, we can agree to a rule between ourselves, such as not to raze player cities (would be my first pick) or cities large enough (like 'turn/40' and up are safe).

Tech trading IMO can stay off. If we allow it, I would like both a pangea (no one left behind) and no tech brokering (you can only sell what you research). That would enable yet mitigate tech alliances, and disable Robin-Hooding techs to everyone for scraps.

Either way, I vote for a pangea. And will play whatever the settings.

socralynnek
10-10-2019, 18:03
I'd join again.

Although I would probably make the same mistakes again ;-)

I'd also vote for getting someone to balance the map.
Currently I don't mind the settings

Beorn
16-10-2019, 01:39
I reached out to Whomp (says hi!) and Soul_Warrior (no response).

Any news from Stapel?

Matrix
16-10-2019, 10:20
Stapel's in. :)

This week I got a friend staying over, so this kinda lost my attention. But I still have some old folks on my Steam friend list and Facebook. So I'll ask them as well. Melifluous, Darkness, Furiey... I see them playing games on Steam, which means they have time. [lol]

Stapel
16-10-2019, 10:32
Yep, I'm in!

Shabbaman
16-10-2019, 19:48
I see them playing games on Steam, which means they have time. [lol]

I'm not sure "Gems of war" is actually a game.

Stapel
18-10-2019, 10:28
So? Now what?

Beorn
18-10-2019, 14:38
We wait for a map (do we have an editor?) and for Matrix to press start.

Darkness
18-10-2019, 15:22
I'm not sure "Gems of war" is actually a game.

I reckon that refers to me. And yes, it is actually a game... ;)

Like I told Matrix via Steam, thanks for the invite guys, but I'm going to have to decline. I haven't played any Civilization in years and I'm not really looking to start again.

Shabbaman
18-10-2019, 20:00
I haven't played any Civilization in years and I'm not really looking to start again.

A wise decision. And nice that you came by to pitch in. Feel free to do some off topic spamming. Like me. I'm sure the admins won't ban you for it.

Beorn
19-10-2019, 02:40
I haven't played any Civilization in years and I'm not really looking to start again.
Even just enough to balance a map for Killer and Matrix to plot their sweet, sweet revenge?

Matrix
19-10-2019, 02:48
Always fun when people are referring to themselves in the third person.

Shabba, I know you're not join either. Would you be willing to balance a map for us? https://straland.com/images/smilies/help.gif

It looks like the game settings will be:
- Number of players: 7
- Map type: shuffle
- Sea level: random
- Climate: random

If not, I'll start a game on pangaea with a normal sea level and climate.

Edit: and yes, of course if Darkness would volunteer for this, he's welcome to do so as well. And also yes, any spam on spoilers are welcome. ;)

Beorn
19-10-2019, 03:07
No-spam spoilers are such an eerie place.

Shabbaman
19-10-2019, 09:35
Shabba, I know you're not join either. Would you be willing to balance a map for us? https://straland.com/images/smilies/help.gif

Sure, no problem. Well, some obstacles: I'd have to download the game first (which version is this, 5 or 6), figure out what balance is, and then figure out how to balance. What could possibly go wrong?

Beorn
19-10-2019, 14:17
Matrix emailed us links to the main game, BTS, patch and BUG mod (is it kosher if I link them here?)

As for balance, last game we had players with barely any access to food resources, one without any luxuries, some in barren corners and others with 5 food bonuses, a gold mine, a river and hills for [estwing]. Some players were completely isolated in the ocean, others surrounded, some cornered and a few had really lucrative international trade routes from connected coasts on different landmasses.

Nothing wrong with a bit of asymmetry, within reason, but it was quite extreme.

Also, some luxuries are early access (gold-silver-gems, ivory-furs) while most you wait for mid-game techs (whales, wine, sugar-silk-incense-dyes-spices). Some food bonuses get an extra boost from granary (wheat-corn-rice).

On a shuffle map it'll be wonky anyways so I guess the best we can expect is just making sure everyone has at least an early luxury and strategic resource while no one has crazy excesses.

Did that cover it? Am I rambling again?

Matrix
23-10-2019, 16:54
...and then Shabba was silent...

I don't blame him. It's quite a lot of work to completely install the game just to tweak a map. So I was thinking I could also ask Jeke to do this, as he won't be participating, but he's got the game and would know what to do.

Sorry that this is taking so long. I've been rather busy with 'real' life, but not to worry, we'll get this thing going. :)

Beorn
23-10-2019, 17:44
I've had a rough few weeks, suits me as well, no complaints.

socralynnek
23-10-2019, 20:40
No complaints anyway, no matter how long it takes...
Actually I don't have the time for it anyway, but...
well I'll play it, but it is no problem what the start date will be...

Matrix
24-10-2019, 13:41
The game will commence on

Sunday 27/10/2019 at 10:00 UTC

(Note that European summer time ends on the night of Saturday to Sunday.)

Matrix
24-10-2019, 17:06
I already set up a dummy game on the same address, so that the players who weren't playing last time can try out if they can actually enter the game. I figured it'd be better to do the testing before the actual game starts.

Shabbaman
24-10-2019, 20:32
...and then Shabba was silent...

Not really, but I didn't see you had send me a PM.

Matrix
27-10-2019, 15:30
And we're rolling!

http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=3042

Beorn
27-10-2019, 17:02
Are we going to do diplo on whatsapp again or should we register our civs on civstats? I guess we should pm BrunchTime on that other site. Stapel, how 'bout you?

Matrix
27-10-2019, 20:50
I prefer WhatsApp, but am fine with anything.

It very much looks like some will miss the first turn. Should I pause the game perhaps until all players realise it started?

It's also a bit hard to contact everyone... [rolleyes]

Beorn
27-10-2019, 21:41
We just need to get Stapel and Brunch hooked up. Stapel was online last Tuesday so he may have missed the announcement. I'll PM Brunch on CFC.

socralynnek
27-10-2019, 22:47
Yes, I would propose to pause the game.

Matrix
28-10-2019, 08:52
Alright, I paused the game as I believe anyone can unpause it. Let's wait until ProPain and Stapel have woken up.

Matrix
28-10-2019, 11:16
I just helped Stapel set up, but it seems he cannot play from his workplace.
So tonight he'll try again.

Still no word from ProPain...

Stapel
29-10-2019, 08:54
Yup, I'm set up!

A few questions:
-How far apart are opponents?
-Are there barbs and wild beasts?
-Goodie huts?

Stapel
29-10-2019, 10:42
Are we going to do diplo on whatsapp again or should we register our civs on civstats? I guess we should pm BrunchTime on that other site. Stapel, how 'bout you?

I prefer whapping

Matrix
29-10-2019, 10:49
How far apart are opponents?
I don't know, but we're playing on a standard sized map, with the standard number of civs, so it should fit well.

Are there barbs and wild beasts?
Goodie huts?
Yes, yes, and yes. (I forgot to ask Jeke to remove the goodie huts.)

Beorn
29-10-2019, 12:05
https://i.imgur.com/MEosfWo.png

No huts, no tech trading, no events.

Shuffle map (custom edit) with high sea level.

We'll be a smidge more cramped than the usual and may or may not have neighbors to begin with.

Stapel
30-10-2019, 08:21
No huts, no tech trading, no events.

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=615&stc=1&d=1572420052

Shabbaman
30-10-2019, 11:27
hahahahahaha

Matrix
30-10-2019, 12:07
Well, I did check the "no tribal villages" box when setting up the game, but if you then load a world builder map, that doesn't apply anymore. [tongue]

Beorn
30-10-2019, 12:10
They don't like "Tribal Village" and prefer to go with "Temporary native settlement"

Beorn
08-12-2019, 15:14
Cellphone died on Thursday. Sorry, there'll diplomatic delays until Monday.

Matrix
12-12-2019, 18:03
Who are you?