PDA

View Full Version : Paali and Krys do the mediteranean: ancient style

Pastorius
19-12-2004, 22:07
Krys and I are going to play the Ancient Mediteranean mod by Thamis.

Krys wants to be the skinny Macedonians, and I am not fully decided on the enlightened Egyptians or the mighty Romans.

Trying to set up the mod right, so that no crashes occur, I am ready to go quite soon. I need to get some clue about the changes as well, since Krys has been reading up on it this whole week it seems [:p]

I think this would be fun, my 3rd game of civ through PBEM.

edit: corrected speeling [:p]

Socrates
19-12-2004, 22:35
Yes I'll play as Macedon. But I just had a look at the reference sheet a little today. And I don't know the map too. I guess we'll use this thread for common knowledge. I hope it will be a grand epic ! [cool]

Go Alex !!! [charge]

Socrates
20-12-2004, 17:09
My starting position :

Image Insert:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/20041220337_kryszcztov-Paalikles01 8000BC StartingPosition.JPG

No spoiler in any way, since we're using a real map, and Paali can just load a game with the Macedonians. I for one know where the Romans start. ;) About rules, Paali, check the RBCiv rules, to see if that suits you : http://realmsbeyond.net/civ/etactics.html. Dastardly actions are allowed, but not exploits.

Another thing to add : This PBEM features a shady match between two concepts : politics vs philosophy. Paalikles is fond of Pericles, who ruled the Athenian democracy during the 5th century BC, and was surely tempted by more power, even though this was a "democratic" experiment. I'm more in the philosophical part, worshipping Socrates (hence my avatar) ; I know a little of him, but not enough, though I feel he had something Good in him. This game gives me the will to start some reading, and I'm about to start reading a book called "Apologie de Socrate + Criton" (in French) by Plato. [cool] I hope Socrates will kick Pericles's butt big time. [groucho]

Pastorius
20-12-2004, 22:26
Photoshopped a bit [:p]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Paalikles/20041220222547_TAM10.jpg
Caesar Paalikles's start

Socrates
21-12-2004, 01:02
Mmmmh, weird image quality... Also I wonder why you deleted some parts of it... [hmm] BTW, you're welcome to replay your 1st turn. But please don't wait for long, the Swimming Pool is becoming a sleepy swamp, and the Diplo game is about to die. [cry]

Pastorius
21-12-2004, 13:32
Sorry about the crappy resolution. I used a crappy app to take the screenshot, then transformed it and edited out some info. Although my start was equal to yours in terms of 5.5.0 and 20gold etc.

I feel a bit like cheating if I replay, so I wont after all. I had an email prepared for you with save yesterday, but watched LOTR, so I didnt send it. Sending now though.

re: rbciv rules. I like them, but I have to read them through when I get home from work. Then I ll accept.

Socrates
21-12-2004, 14:33
Paali, I told you it was OK to replay the turn, after all this new graphic mod needs a little time to tame. If you mistook that lake with something else, that's fine with me, just replay the turn. I'll refrain from playing until you send me the replayed turn. ;) I don't want to kill you in 7500BC. [lol]

About the deleted parts, yes that's the same as me, but : you can use MS Paint too, like me !!!

Abour rules : OK, though some are obsolete for C3C, and for such a mod, but some aren't. We can also detail PBEM rules after that.

Watched LOTR ? Bah, after watching the 1st one half-sleepy, I didn't want to watch any more of them.

OH, a hint : it seems warriors can't go through mountains in this mod... I found out while playing a dozen dumb turns as Rome this week. [mischief]

Ginger_Ale
21-12-2004, 21:42
Good luck to ... both of you. :)

akots
21-12-2004, 22:38
Macedonia and Socrates don't mix well together IMO. You'll probably have a bloody mary or molotovs' over there. All I know about this mod, except some basic things, is that it is a bit tough to play on higher difficulties. But prior map knowledge is helpful.

Keep the lurkers spoiled please!

Socrates
21-12-2004, 23:20
quote:Originally posted by akots

Macedonia and Socrates don't mix well together IMO.
Yeah... but where do you fit Socrates in then ? [mischief] There is no Classical Greece or Athens in this mod ! And BTW Paalikles is Ceasar Paalikles of Rome in this game, but he is supposed to represent Pericles, where do you fit that in ? [crazyeye]

We're playing on Monarch, not that tough, but we don't really know the map (well, I really don't).

Pastorius
21-12-2004, 23:26
Twas a DAMN shame they edited out the faction lead by Pericles when updating this mod ( apparently a lot of updates too)

Doesnt matter to me who he plays as, he ll still lose [hammer]

Justus II
22-12-2004, 00:39
Yes, of all the Hellenic peoples, the Mycenaeans remain to represent them, and Agememnon is the leader, IIRC. Not trying to give any spoiler info (you'll find out soon enough) but BEWARE the BARBARIANS! They are quite a bit tougher in this mod than normal, in both quantity and quality.

Pastorius
22-12-2004, 01:13
I noticed when I played SP in fertile crescent. They butchered my egyptian warriors [cry]
I suppose it is historically correct though...

A comparison of his start vs mine tells me that those Macedonians are spoiled brats [:p]

Justus II
22-12-2004, 01:17
Well, Rome's start is pretty decent also, just remember certain techs are required to reveal some resources... :D

Also, I'm not sure of the confusion about Rome's start, but that IS a lake adjacent to Rome, it does start on freshwater.

Socrates
22-12-2004, 01:41
Paali, this is a fresh water lake of course, it's hard-coded in Civ anyway. You may have been confused by the poor water tiles in TAM : apprently, all salt water tiles give 0 food, and lakes 1. [crazyeye] Makes the seashore less attractive, but I'm sure there are ways to make it attractive again, though I don't know them yet. In the meantime I'm going to get some fruits, that you can see on my pic. :D While waiting for your save...

Pastorius
22-12-2004, 08:44
WTF. THEY DID START ON FRESH WATER. ??? THEN I REPLAYED FOR NOTHING. [rant] [rant] [rant] [aargh]

(starting to lose interest in this game...)

Socrates
22-12-2004, 14:29
LOL de chez LOL ! [lol] Paali : water pieces less than or equal to 21 tiles (or is it 20 ?) are always considered fresh by the game, and I bet this is hard-coded. The 1-tile water piece just east of your starting tile is therefore a fresh water tile, or to be more poetic : a lake. :) The 1st thing I did when I played some turns (as Rome, remember ?) was to click on many tiles to see their production. I soon found out that water tiles are giving 1 less food than in the epic game. Thus, this lake gives 1/0/2, not 2/0/2 (but fish gives 3 food !! can't remember if fish is activated by a tech, but I think it is).

My conclusion : replay your turn 0, but before please take a good look at your environment, at Justus II's reference sheet, etc... This mod has MANY differences. This is what I found out while looking around me. [goodjob]

Pastorius
22-12-2004, 19:57
Ok. Sorry for being a whiny asshole Krys. I am really more careful than that. Good thing we were just started. It still said the lake tile is COAST when I right clicked it - but I forgot to check the other stuff

Also, ignore the losing interest in the game stuff - I was frustrated because of something else, and took it out on you. In fact, the game of ours started to add to the frustration a bit too. Again, sorry for my moodswing. I am going to put my foot in my mouth and bang my head against the wall now

Socrates
22-12-2004, 21:12
You can't be more frustrated than me today, about RL things, but there's no need for me to tell about it, so : NO WORRIES ! ;) I think that even in the epic game "lakes" are labelled as "coast" tiles (EDIT : Just checked in my pure French version, and it's also "coast" ("côtes")). Yeah I know, Firaxis sometimes does it odd. Anyway, lakes are lakes. :D If you're unsure about something, just come on MSN and ask someone about it, that's what I sometimes do.

Pastorius
13-04-2005, 22:45
Slacker (unless I did not say I spent afternoon @ home, in which case you are forgiven. I know I told Killer...[hmm])

ProPain
13-04-2005, 23:41
http://home.planet.nl/~dijk8021/logo_club_12.jpg

Melifluous
14-04-2005, 00:34
[smirk]

Melifluous

ProPain
14-04-2005, 00:49
[psv][psv]

Pastorius
14-04-2005, 23:06
Roman scouts discovers a pathetic stack of presumed doom.

Roman diplomats prepare the following statement:

Kryscztov, general of Mycenae, you have come for a [duelist]

Our forces are ready to [estwing] your puny army into oblivion [evil]

We will [hammer] you, then show you our [mad2] when you turn to flee!

Our men are fierce[ninja] and well equipped [swordman]

Return to your lands and you shall be spared for a while [yeah]

Regards
Paalikles, Caesar

Socrates
14-04-2005, 23:50
Puny Pericles who fled to Rome, I, Master Socrates of FUCKING MACEDONIA (please not the name of my nation), remind you that we are currently in a state of war, which includes fighting amongst other gay things (like chatting). However, let me cool you down : my army is on a serious duty, we have to fight every barbarian standing before us, this is our duty and our priority, and LET IT BE.

(more info in my spoiler this weekend, where you'll see the details of our sacred mission)

Pastorius
20-04-2005, 20:45
Bah

let it be said that Caesar Paalikles of Rome never lost 1 city
Let it be said that Rome consistently has been frustrated with the mod called TAM for the entire game

Let it be said that Paalikles of Rome has to cut down on his pbem commitments
Let it be said that Kryszctov of Macedonia just got a MGL
Let it also be said that the same Macedonian keeps annoying my troops positioning his units near my borders.

So it shall be written, that Paalikles of Rome, tired, weary and slightly frustrated, concedes this game - for any or all of the above reasons.

Pastorius
20-04-2005, 20:58
Krys, go ahead and look at my spoiler.
I ll wait till you give me green light before I do so