PDA

View Full Version : Important Site News!!

anarres
11-12-2004, 21:15
This thread will be kept updated with news about the ISP move and other important events.

-- ProPain and anarres

-------------------------------

The site will be going down at midnight tonight (Saturday) for a few hours, so a backup can be made of the database.

anarres
11-12-2004, 23:07
Tomorrow (Sunday) night we are planning to migrate the site to a new ISP. This will involve the site being down for up to several hours, and possibly Monday morning too.

In addition all email adresses will stop working until the new email addresses are entered on the new site. Because of this all emails will be deleted from our old webserver, and everyone's email will be deleted (probably tomorrow night).

If possible please check your email tomorrow night before the move, and check back in this thread for information on how to connect to the new mail server.

There may be short periods of time where emails delivered to you will "bounce" and will not be delivered to you.

Kingreno
11-12-2004, 23:55
Will we be emotionaly compensated for these downtimes?

anarres
12-12-2004, 01:31
The backup is complete, my connection was much better than it usually is. :)

Beam
12-12-2004, 02:01
This is great news! Who is the new ISP?

Socrates
12-12-2004, 03:46
quote:Originally posted by anarres

The backup is complete, my connection was much better than it usually is. :)

Wasn't there a downtime to be expected during your backup ? I didn't see anything. [goodjob] So now we have to expect a real and logical downtime in 24 hours, when you'll try to move the database to the new ISP, is that right ?

And yes, who is the new (Dutch) ISP ?

Matrix
12-12-2004, 16:26
If you're backing up now, won't that mean that anything we post now will be post after the conversion? Or only if things go wrong?

ProPain
12-12-2004, 16:35
We've made a backup now for security reasons. Just before we move we'll take another copy of the database and then close the site so no posts will be lost.

For now we have some trouble logging in at the new ISP and the support office doesnt open untill monday, so earliest move is monday morning. We'll keep you posted on that.

The question that's keeping some of you busy: where are we moving to?

We're moving to NetNation/Flexservers where we'll be the first users on a new dedicated server. However it will take approximately 2 weeks for the server to be delivered, we'll be bridging that period on a temporary shared hosting account from NetNation. So in 2 weeks we'll have to migrate again, but it will be much easier as we'll moving within the same ISP.

anarres & PP

Shabbaman
12-12-2004, 19:53
Good news.

ProPain
13-12-2004, 22:15
Important News!

The log in for the new account is working so we'll be attempting to migrate tonight. This will mean the forum will lock down at 23:00 for download. Basically this means you can watch but can't post.

I dont know how long downloading is gonna take, however it's followed by uploading which will take a while for sure. Also some directory settings will have to be changed.

The plan is to upload the forum software + database first and get those working. Uploaded directory will be uploaded afterwards.

I intend to open up the forum after the database is uploaded but before the pics are uploaded. That way forum downtime will be kept to a minimum. This will result in pics showing as the well known red X's for a while. During upload you'll see your pics returning bit by bit when you refresh/open new pages.

However I before the upload directories are uploaded it is not allowed to upload anything as this might lead to unexpected behaviour and possible forum crashes.

DON'T UPLOAD ANYTHING AFTER 23:00 BEFORE A NEW POST HERE EXPLICITELY ALLOWS YOU TO!!

So, lets all keep our fingers crossed that the move proceeds smoothly.

anarres and PP

ProPain
14-12-2004, 00:52
Update

Sadly things have not progressed the wayI hoped, but more the way I feared.
For now this means that we cant access the forum on our new location.

I hope I can solve the matter quickly so I kept the forum on lock. That way I dont have to download the whole thing again because someone posted.

Hope we can get this solved quickly.

PP

Socrates
14-12-2004, 03:28
(don't care if this post won't upload on the new ISP, and please don't consider that option :D )

Night update :
I'm bored, and am able to connect to CDZ now, like other night owls or American members. I see some people posted some posts inbetween. Wonder what this means, since you kept the forum closed ? [hmm]
That's all for the moment, I hope everything goes smooth now. Laters.

- krys

Shabbaman
14-12-2004, 15:56
Is everything okay again?

anarres
14-12-2004, 16:26
no, please do not post!!!

ProPain
15-12-2004, 20:46
We're up again

Good news, the forum is up again on the new account.
Pictures arent yet uploaded but that will be done tonight, so tomorrow you should be free of the [x]'s

Email accounts will be offline untill we move to our final server, ATA: 2 weeks.

We were very pleased to see you guys so eager to post on cdz, even when we were online for 1 minute some of you started posting. Sadly those posts are lost, that's what you get for not listening to our instructions ;)

Glad to see you here again.

anarres and ProPain

Shabbaman
15-12-2004, 20:53
Hurray!

col
15-12-2004, 20:54
Good work, guys!

:beer

ProPain
15-12-2004, 20:56
I already opened the first Palm.

and I'm not kidding.

ERIKK
15-12-2004, 21:01
Congrats to the 'webmasters'! [shabba]

To all fellow pbem-ers (KR, Beam, 8 game's, DDPP's) please email my xs4all email adress!

Beam
15-12-2004, 22:07
Congrats Butchers! Enjoy you Palm and Gin. [drunk]

Ginger_Ale
15-12-2004, 22:11
:D

Grille
15-12-2004, 22:16
Yay!
[party]
Had been on cold turkey!

grahamiam
15-12-2004, 22:48
excellent! nice job, throw down a few and relax [drunk]

Pastorius
15-12-2004, 23:05
To all involved in pbems with me: send to the account I accidentaly sent a save from (my msn adress). Thank you

Congrats A & Pp!!!

Socrates
16-12-2004, 01:19
It works for me too, fucking server !!! ;)

To all my PBEM foes (SwP) : my email address wasn't fucked up because I don't use a CDZ account, I use the same as my MSN address. ;)

Congrats to both anarres and ProPain, thanks a lot ! [goodjob]

Dell19
16-12-2004, 02:14
Nice to be back :)

Darkness
16-12-2004, 10:00
[party]

Great news!!! :)

Kingreno
16-12-2004, 12:02
Wooohoooo, that felt like a Rammadan of some sort!:D

Well done guys.

Melifluous
16-12-2004, 13:03
PP and anarres?

Could you please get a picture for me?

I realise you are trying to get all pictures back but I need the one from Yndy's thread in the Hattrick forum.

It shows the league matches to be played this week and I need them to start getting them organised...

Sorry to be a pain.

Melifluous

anarres
16-12-2004, 13:55
Tonight we will try to get the latest pics, but this temp server we are on this week is quite limited.

When we move to the permanent dedicated server we will have almost unlimited space.

Melifluous
16-12-2004, 14:08

Tonight we will try to get the latest pics, but this temp server we are on this week is quite limited.

When we move to the permanent dedicated server we will have almost unlimited space.

Sounds like its gonna be cool, but I really need to get one picture as pleaded for in the Hattrick forum here.

Damn Yndy run off with the info and holidayed [:p]

Melifluous

anarres
16-12-2004, 19:19
If you can post the url here I will make sure to get it tonight at some point.

col
16-12-2004, 19:24
Much faster and smoother.

Rik Meleet
16-12-2004, 19:43
I got a message from "The Cat" saying she still gets "PAGE NOT FOUND" errors.

anarres
16-12-2004, 19:46
Since she is in Brazil it is conceivable that her DNS servers are not updated yet...

Kemal
16-12-2004, 20:33
Hmm, it seems Eldakkar is suffering from the same problem, yet he lives in The Netherlands... could that still be due to DNS servers not being updated yet?

TheCat
16-12-2004, 21:35
It had nothing to do with Brazil and our DNS are updated pretty fast in here
Anyways, I am back and thanks for worrying :)

Matrix
16-12-2004, 22:13
So now you have time to play DDPP, ProPain? [:p]

Anyway, congratulations and thanks for all the trouble. ;)

ProPain
17-12-2004, 00:40
I've read about the upload problems. I'll look into those on saturday as this will take some browsing though forum code to fix. It's been over a year since I put in that code, so it's not exactly fresh in my memory. But I do think I know what's wrong and it shouldnt be hard to fix, just time consuming to find the right line.

Melifluous
17-12-2004, 01:15

If you can post the url here I will make sure to get it tonight at some point.

Thanks for the offer anarres and my apologies for getting a bit keen earlier.

My new best friend Swingue has a browser that caches [coool]

I got the info I needed to get the matches organised so [my] mini-crisis over.

Good luck with the site move, I realise how much fun these things are and I apologise again for acting like a user [:p]

Melifluous

ProPain
17-12-2004, 11:58
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ProPain/20041217105752_int_indicatie.gif
2.79KB

upload is fixed

Beam
17-12-2004, 12:40
Am I mistaken or is forumtime now GMT + 1?

ProPain
17-12-2004, 12:42
you're right. Forum time is depending on the server time and we moved to a dutch server.

We can adjust the server time to GMT again, no biggie. I'm also looking for a timezone mod that allows members to set their own timezone. But I have to say that's more of a backburner project.

Socrates
17-12-2004, 13:09
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

We can adjust the server time to GMT again, no biggie. I'm also looking for a timezone mod that allows members to set their own timezone. But I have to say that's more of a backburner project.

If you don't do it within 2 weeks, I'll tell you're all fucking cool guys all over CFC. [guns] This is an uber-important project, even more important than having a forum, uh ? what am I saying ? Don't know why, I'm fond of exact time on the Internet, so I hope we'll be able to do everything in 2 weeks.

Melifluous
17-12-2004, 13:13
Dude?

I worry about you sometimes...

[hmm]

Melifluous

Socrates
19-12-2004, 02:28
Many images are still showing up as red crosses ? For example, all the images in the Diplomacy results thread aren't displayed. At the same time some images display properly in some threads... [hmm] When will all the images be properly uploaded ?

anarres
19-12-2004, 03:49
We can only upload some of the images because of the amount of space we have on this temporary shared server. If there is anyting in particular you need then post the url here and I can restore it.

When we move to the permanent server it will all be restored.

ProPain
28-12-2004, 13:44
Final phase of site move

The new server has been delivered so we can start moving CDZ to it's final destination. This will involve the following steps:

1) testing the server.
The new server has a slightly different setup than our current temp space. Obviously we need to test this new setup.

ATF: 30/12/04

2) closing CDZ
Just before moving we need to close CDZ in order not to lose any data

3) downloading & uploading CDZ
Depending on how we can organise this step it will take a little or a lot of time.

When we can stream directly from one server to another : quick
when we can't : slow

4)Uploading the old pics
Apart from that we need to upload the old uploaded directory which is a measly 400MB and this will take a few hours.

I hope I can do this around new year when all you europeans are getting drunk anyway. However since I'll be getting drunk myself this depends on the level of automation I can achieve. Obviously I;m not staying home to watch the upload when I can go out and have a few drinks.

ATF: 1/1/05

Pastorius
28-12-2004, 19:13
Ouch!

ProPain
28-12-2004, 23:16
Just to clarify matters. The last step can take place while the forum is online. So basically I suspect the only downtime will occur on thursday.

And remember, it;s for a good cause!

Beam
29-12-2004, 01:53
Many thanks for the detailed status update PP, any news about the POP server?

Shabbaman
29-12-2004, 11:52
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Forum time is depending on the server time and we moved to a dutch server.

Finally [goodjob] Our brilliant scheme to set the forum time to a normal timezone has worked, muahaha!

ProPain
29-12-2004, 13:32
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Many thanks for the detailed status update PP, any news about the POP server?

Yes, totally forgot about mentioning that. We can start and distribute the emails again when we have moved. We have to setup the mails and stuff, but that will be done asap after the move.

ATF: 1/1/05

anarres
30-12-2004, 17:14
Emails are now setup! Please post here or pm me or ProPain if your email doesn't work - we may have lost some in the move.

incoming pop3 server: mail.civ3duelzone.com

account name: <cdz_logon>@civ3duelzone.com

password: sent to you seperately via PM. This may match your old password, most most are new

One advantage of the new server is that we can allow you to change your password via a control panel!

To change your password:

1) Log in to: https://213.193.215.91:8443 with your full CDZ email and password. Click 'ok' to the messagebox's that appear.

2) Click on 'Preferences'

3) Enter new password and click 'ok'

Please do not change any other settings in the control panel.

Lt. Killer M
31-12-2004, 11:19
wow, great!

Pastorius
31-12-2004, 11:25
With the password u gave via pm, I try to login, but receive: login is incorrect :(
Same result through Thunderbird and outlook

also, the security certificate for the site you referred to is mismatched, etc...

ProPain
31-12-2004, 12:10
@paal, I'll reset your password today. ata 13:00 GMT+1

ProPain
31-12-2004, 12:14
Moving will commence today. anarres has already uploaded a heap of pics so that's a lot of work already done.

I'll start the download and upload of the forum code first, then close the forum and download the forum database, upload and repoint IP's

My guess is the whole process will take 1 to 2 hours. the closing for the moving of the database will take maybe 30 mins. It will take some time for the repointing to trickle thru the net and there's nothing we can do about that. I expect the forum reachability to be erratic for the next 4 hours after the move.

Last step is synchronising the last upload files. hopefully it will be quick, we have a lot of uploading done alrdy.

anarres and PP

Shabbaman
31-12-2004, 12:38
I can't login to the webmail with the new PW. Can't send old PW to server with Thunderbird either... (and I have no clue how to change my PW in that program, very weird. that's why I tried to login to the webmail with my new PW)

ProPain
31-12-2004, 13:32
Site will be closing down in a few mins

ProPain
31-12-2004, 17:21
We're up and running again. You can post to your hearts delight.

Email problems will be looked into tomorrow. (sorry guys, but my urge for a drink won)

Upload dirs arent complete yet, this will be fixed the coming days.

Welcome to our final destination !!!

Shabbaman
31-12-2004, 17:56
Hurray! Now, on to the beer...

Kingreno
31-12-2004, 18:06
Congrats admins! well done. :)

ProPain
31-12-2004, 18:50
uploading is going fairly ok. 260mb to go. At the current rate that will take about 2 hours and 30 mins.

ProPain
01-01-2005, 04:10
all dirs are uploaded. Apart from the email probs some people experience everything is ok. Tomorrow I'll look into the email.

Have a nice 2005 everybody.

had to retype this post 4 times because I;m pissed.

PP

Kingreno
01-01-2005, 07:03
Voeld e pijn slet!

Shabbaman
01-01-2005, 11:14
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

Voeld e pijn slet!

[rotfl]

Matrix
02-01-2005, 01:01
Nou, nou, nou... ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work, ProPain! [goodjob]

Socrates
02-01-2005, 10:58
Coming back from holidays, ready to start 2005 under better conditions than 2004, and CDZ is better than ever ! :) Thanks PP and anar for the whole work, be sure we'll all make a good use of CDZ this year again ! [goodjob]

Comment for the timezone and the clock : [thumbsup]

Pastorius
02-01-2005, 13:45
the email still does not work for me [cry]

tried:

paalikles_at_civ3duelzone_dott_com
and Paalikles.....blabla
with the password given to me via PM by Anar

server set to mail.civ3duelzone.com

anarres
02-01-2005, 18:17
I reset it again and sent you a PM with the account name and password in.

If it doesn't work this time you need to check the other settings (like the server address: mail.civ3duelzone.com, etc).

ProPain
02-01-2005, 18:58
I dont know about you guys, but I experienced server downtime at 14:00 GMT+1. I sms'ed tech support and apparently they rebooted as everything seems ok now. I'm wondering if someone could tell me at what time they could get back on CDZ?

ProPain
02-01-2005, 19:00
I see killer posted at 14:34, so it has been down for 30 mins max. Thumbs up for tech support.

grs
02-01-2005, 19:10
Email notification does not work for me and I can't access the isdg adress. Everything else works fine!

grs
05-01-2005, 01:01
[bump] any info on this [bump]

Grille
05-01-2005, 01:20
quote:Originally posted by grs

[bump] any info on this [bump]

yeah, what about this?

Beam spams me again over CDZ mail, so the server seems to work.:)
Although can't access the ISDG mail box either.:(

So... [bump]

...and... [bump]

...if not [bump]!

:D

ProPain
05-01-2005, 01:27
outgoing mail is still not working, I need tech support for that I guess.

ISDG mail is a mystery to me. Should work, maybe somethings wrong with the password. I'll reset that once I find the password for it. If someone could PM it to me that would be appreciated also.

ProPain
05-01-2005, 01:31
As Kemal is apparently accessing the ISDG mail the password should be correct. Please check your passwords for the ISDG account, if that doesnt solve it, look me up on MSN.

Pastorius
05-01-2005, 02:06

I reset it again and sent you a PM with the account name and password in.

If it doesn't work this time you need to check the other settings (like the server address: mail.civ3duelzone.com, etc).

Just to let you know. I deleted the account settings I had (removed it completely, stupid me, so I lost all savelogs for my game with Killer, my game with GA, and a bunch of other mail that wasnt important)

BUT, now the email account works.
AFAIK, Thunderbird applied the wrong username (though I specified it 3 times at least...). Removing the old settings did the trick, apparently.

Also, very very good upload service here now. Congrats.

ProPain
05-01-2005, 02:36
got the outgoing email to work again also. Expect your email notifications to come streaming in again. :)

Shabbaman
05-01-2005, 10:18
Time for new front page news, I'd say.

EDIT: I still can't log in on the webmail client to change my password (which I prefer over deleting my email account like paali did).

Pastorius
05-01-2005, 11:00
Shabby [:p], back up the folders first, then you shouldnt have any problem with deleting the account.

Shabbaman
05-01-2005, 12:12
Even then I'd like to change my PW...

ProPain
05-01-2005, 13:35
Shabba, I cant really say what;s your problem based on this description. Please look me up on MSN.

akots
06-01-2005, 02:30
I have stopped receiving pm notifications. Apparently mail.ru started to filter them off as junk. I will try to change e-mail to another address then hopefully this helps.

grs
06-01-2005, 12:00
Akots: I did not get any since the site moved. I am not sure they are working yet.

ProPain
06-01-2005, 15:02
I'm receiving notifications. Although I haven t seen any notifications on new posts I have received notifications that a had a new PM.

You can test if you're receiving notification by PM'ing yourself.

Pastorius
06-01-2005, 15:04
Yes. I can confirm pm notification as well :)

ProPain
06-01-2005, 15:11
weird thing is: I'm testing topic notification, doesnt seem to work at all......

Swingue
06-01-2005, 15:18
This is a post
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ProPain
06-01-2005, 15:27
thanks Swingue! But no email notification of your spsm [cry]

I'm uttertly clueless. I get emails when I receive a pm but not when a thread is updated......

WHY?????

grs
06-01-2005, 15:33
I can't. It is already more than half an hour.

Swingue
06-01-2005, 15:48
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAaMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProPain
06-01-2005, 15:52
TEEESST

yndy
06-01-2005, 20:46
DDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOO
IIIIIITTTTTTTT
IIIIIINNNNNNN
AAAAAAAANNNNNNNNOOOOOTTTTHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRR
TTTTTTHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD D
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[:p]

ProPain
06-01-2005, 20:51
@ grs: I have been messing with server setting this afternoon (as the spam posts proof) so that could be the cause of you not receiving anything. You could try again now.

grs
07-01-2005, 23:51
@PP: nope, neither PM nor subscription notifications.

Grille
08-01-2005, 00:35
Same for me (double-checked respective profile settings).

Concering ISDG mail, the server still answers "unable to log on".:(
Anyone succesfully tried it?

Pastorius
08-01-2005, 01:22
Well, Dan fixed my account when I got the unable to logon message, so perhaps he could do the same to the isdg mail (or PP for that matter)

anarres
08-01-2005, 01:54
I think the old password is too long for the new server.

Edit: See the ISDG forum for the new ISDG password. ;)