PDA

View Full Version : Reload counter

anarres
12-03-2003, 15:22
I intend to research in to how to find the reload counter in PTW.

With this in hand, it will be trivial to validate PBEM games for the infinite reload bug.

Whilst I trust everyone I am playing, it can't hurt to validate all PBEM games this way, and it may bring reassurance to some people.

Lt. Killer M
12-03-2003, 15:28
Good idea!

If you want I can do a few test file for you (i.e. I know which has reloads and which not) so you can test your method (I hope you do find the right counter).....

ERIKK
12-03-2003, 15:42
I expect Cracker already to have this. In season 5 will probably get his tool again, with the latest PTW's updates in it.

Melifluous
12-03-2003, 16:41
Hmm you can already unpack a civ3ptw game using a tool called savexpnd.exe in the Civ3Multitool.

You cant repack it again after amending it, but at least you can see what is going on inside the save file...

Melifluous

Shabbaman
13-03-2003, 12:31
The problem with all reload tools is that some people don't have much options. I wouldn't cheat (read: reload for the purpose of cheating) but here at the University my computer crashes EVERY TIME I open a save. I've had some pretty strange turns where I was suddenly playing the other player's turn.

At home, btw, I don't have any problems with crashes. Maybe I/you could/should make a log of each reload.

Lt. Killer M
13-03-2003, 13:18
I guess most people will accidently do it once in a while when turns get longer; I did it in the Shabba game: simply forgot it was PBEM, saved, then left to luch. On coming back i reloaded :(

I told Shabba, he did it once, too - things were fine.

the problem is excessive reloading - and that will show anyways ;)

Shabbaman
13-03-2003, 13:59
Wait: what are we talking about? The thing you told me about (extreme form of cheating) or just reloading (as in 'playing the turn from the beginning') Multiple turns of production in one turn should show in the cultural histograph btw: I take it that you get additional culture as well.

Or am I telling something I shouldn't have?

Lt. Killer M
13-03-2003, 14:12
Shabba: I meant that it may happen once or twice in a game that ou accidently get the additional prod, and I guess when tursn get longer and you have lots to do noone is safe from a reflexive 'safe, eat, load'; only realizing whta happened alter....

if you do it to a significant extent i think it WILL show in the F8 screen ;)

anarres
13-03-2003, 14:41
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Multiple turns of production in one turn should show in the cultural histograph btw: I take it that you get additional culture as well.This is what I meant, and thanks for the advice, I never thought to look in the F8 culture screen [:I]

Melifluous
13-03-2003, 14:48
There is no reason to suggest why culture should go up if this cheat is being used. What has culture got to do with shield production?

Shield production is the thing that keeps refreshing, movement does not, for example.

Dont feel embarrassed anarres, this is NOT a reasonable assumption...

Melifluous

Shabbaman
13-03-2003, 15:25
Chill, I didn't know it was only giving you extra shield production... If it doesn't produce culture, it's pretty sure you won't see it in the histograph either.

Lt. Killer M
13-03-2003, 15:27
Shabba: long term use will show in power ;)

col
13-03-2003, 16:05
I think it can also be used in conjunction with wealth to get unlimited cash

anarres
13-03-2003, 16:06
Bah! Power is *not* the way to check.

The power graph on my game vs ERIKK has shot from about 1/3 to 2/3 in 10 turns! Power is based mostly on cities and pop, so it really is no use...

Melifluous
14-03-2003, 10:53
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Chill, I didn't know it was only giving you extra shield production... If it doesn't produce culture, it's pretty sure you won't see it in the histograph either.

Hey man sorry bout that, just re-read my article and it definately comes across stronger than I meant.

This bug is gonna be a bugger to find...

Melifluous

anarres
14-03-2003, 12:58
That's why we need the reload counter. I will check out C3MT this weekend, if it can read PTW saves then that will do it. :)

FWIW, If you accidentially save and come back to it you *have* to start that turn again, and obviously tell the other person.

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 13:04
Well, I think you should avoid that at all cost. Personally, I keep all savegames send to me, so if I'd have to start halfway over again, I could start the whole turn again instead.

BTW, it isn't fair to the AI as well, lol.

anarres
14-03-2003, 13:31
Shabba, I maent start from the beginning of the turn of course. :)