PDA

View Full Version : Pirates! is out!

Markstar
27-11-2004, 18:14
...and full of bugs. Luckily I did not buy it but it seems that already shortly after the release the forums are full with complaints about the game. [medic]

Luckily I learned my lesson from Civ3 and do not trust Firaxis at all. Seems to be the right decision. [mischief]

Melifluous
27-11-2004, 19:58
Ah as I thought.

So........

....I'm downloading it as we speak [nya]

Melifluous

Shabbaman
28-11-2004, 12:10
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

....I'm downloading it as we speak [nya]

[shabba]

This game is great! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Pastorius
28-11-2004, 12:26
That is pretty evil. I m not buying it either.

(I am not saying I am going to go all "Captain Meli Redbeard" either ;) )

anarres
28-11-2004, 12:38
Did anyone take part in "talk like a pirate day" the other week?

Markstar
28-11-2004, 13:22
I've tried it out and after 2 hours I was so bored (and annoyed) that I uninstalled it. [estwing]
You sail around and fight, then sail some more and fight some more. Then there is the sailing and fighting together with some fighting and sailing. One can also trade a little, but it's not really thought out imho and really doesn't make sense (since the profit is minimal and takes 10x longer than the fighting and sailing routine [confused]).
Land fights are HORRIBLE and take forever. [aargh]

But that's just me, I might have been biased from the start. [rant]

Pastorius
28-11-2004, 13:44
Sounds a bit like I expected, and was more or less what I thought when I played the pirates for windows version a while back

Shabbaman
28-11-2004, 17:53
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

I've tried it out and after 2 hours I was so bored (and annoyed) that I uninstalled it.

I've been playing this non-stop since 10 in the morning. I almost defeated all pirates (apparently the easiest way to gain wealth), but so far I was unable to gain the hand of a governor's daughter. Must be a bug [:p]

I might even consider to actually buy this game, even though I had decided never to buy a firaxis game again.

Grille
29-11-2004, 01:32
You sail around and fight, then sail some more and fight some more. Then there is the sailing and fighting together with some fighting and sailing.

sounds like the original Pirates!:)
Is it like that? ([cool])

IIRC the big bucks came in when you digged up a treasury after liberating a family member or by treasure fleet/silver train capturing.

quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman
I've been playing this non-stop since 10 in the morning. I almost defeated all pirates (apparently the easiest way to gain wealth), but so far I was unable to gain the hand of a governor's daughter. Must be a bug [:p]

What would you do with the governor's daughter's hand. Use your own... wit and charm ;) and gather info in many towns, not only where your wife sits.

akots
29-11-2004, 04:11
@Markstar: iirc Pirates original (have not played Pirates 2), then you have missed most of the fun. Hunting treasures and promoting to higher ranks is the fun indeed as well as marriage. But just sailing and fighting might be a bit boring indeed on the lower difficulty levels apparenty.

Moff Jerjerrod
29-11-2004, 14:10
Having played this game for over 30 hours since I bought it last week I have not encountered any bugs.

This game is true to the original version and is fun to play. 'nuff said. [tongue]

Shabbaman
29-11-2004, 14:59
I think I've found two bugs:

1. You have to capture the same villain again and again.
2. When you've just delivered an ultimatum which leads to a declaration of war, the folks in the tavern are talking about the new peace treaty.

Matrix
29-11-2004, 15:54

(...)even though I had decided never to buy a firaxis game again.

This is just so awry. Because Firaxis made the best game ever you find out every little bug and error in it so that most bugs of all bug you know eventually come from that game and thus you never buy a game from the buyer anymore! [blink]

What do you know about...[rolleyes]..."GoldenEye: Rogue Agent"?
I bet it sucks much more than Civ3. [tongue]

digger760
29-11-2004, 15:59
quote:Originally posted by Matrix
[br
This is just so awry. Because Firaxis made the best game ever you find out every little bug and error in it so that most bugs of all bug you know eventually come from that game and thus you never buy a game from the buyer anymore! [blink]

[scratch]
That made about as much sense one of killer's typo filled posts

Matrix
29-11-2004, 16:12
Alright, perhaps one sentense with 42 words and no comma's wasn't such a good idea. [lol]

Firaxis made the best game ever: Civ3.
Because of that we all play it as much as possible.
Because of that we find out all the bugs there are in Civ3.
Because of that most bugs we know are in fact coming from Civ3.
Because of that we blame Firaxis for making so many bugs.
We then forget about the fact that they're made the best game ever.
In fact, we don't even want to buy anything from Firaxis anymore.

Is this more clear? [mischief]

Shabbaman
29-11-2004, 16:51
I don't blame firaxis for making the best game ever. I don't even blame them for not including multiplayer in civ3 and making me pay again for PTW. I do blame them that PTW was crap and that they made me pay again for slightly better multiplayer in C3C, which turned out not too much better than PTW.

Civ3 was worth the money. Both PTW and C3C, in the same price category, definately aren't. Pirates 2 is though. So, in short, Firaxis made me happy twice, and screwed me twice. That makes it pretty even.

Matrix
29-11-2004, 17:36
You got a point there...

Hygro
30-11-2004, 07:18
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Did anyone take part in "talk like a pirate day" the other week?
you mean like a month ago? I did last year, but this year it was on a sunday.

anarres
30-11-2004, 10:26
Yeah, but IIRC it wasn't on a Sunday in the UK. [hmm]

col
30-11-2004, 11:15
Avast behind, me mateys. Aaaarghhhh.

Shabbaman
30-11-2004, 12:16
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20041130111557_pirates2_shabba.jpg

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Markstar
30-11-2004, 12:31
First: I've decided not to buy any Firaxis games NOT because there are still bugs in a game. It is the manner how they dealt with it and what their priorities are that unsettles me. But we had that talk before so I'm not getting into it (again).

Pirates! constantly gave me a blue screen on my laptop computer (1.5GHz with Radeon Mobility), on my desktop (2GHz with Geforce) the mouse pointer is screwed up and the sound is cracking sometimes (not on other up-to-date titles like Doom3). On both machines the grafic is just wrong sometimes, especially when on the sea.
There are some gameplay issues as well, but that might be because I don't know any better. Nevertheless I find them quite annoying. For example, when talking to ppl who give who information, I say I'll not it in my log. However, I don't see this info being recorded anywhere (except city info, which will pop up when I click on the regarding city) which means I have to write it down manually (and outside of the game). Or the fact that my ppl become unhappy and I have to divide my precious wealth with them and start over. 10%? [rant]

Plux
30-11-2004, 13:34
Nice sail [shabba]. Apart from that, the graphics look pretty dimm

Shabbaman
30-11-2004, 14:45

Pirates! constantly gave me a blue screen on my laptop computer (1.5GHz with Radeon Mobility), on my desktop (2GHz with Geforce) the mouse pointer is screwed up and the sound is cracking sometimes (not on other up-to-date titles like Doom3). On both machines the grafic is just wrong sometimes, especially when on the sea.

Sounds like your machine is better than mine, or about the same. I have no problems at all though. Maybe it's time for an ew driver for your video card, nvidia just released a new one.
It sounds like the problems I was having with Rome: Total War though. It turned out that my memory was broken. And that my graphics card sometimes doesn't connect too well (bumping into the cpu, which is standing next to my leg. My wooden leg, arrrrr!). Also a bit weird, since this only caused problems in R:TW and not in very demanding FPS games.

quote:There are some gameplay issues as well, but that might be because I don't know any better. Nevertheless I find them quite annoying. For example, when talking to ppl who give who information, I say I'll not it in my log. However, I don't see this info being recorded anywhere (except city info, which will pop up when I click on the regarding city) which means I have to write it down manually (and outside of the game).

Yes, annoying. That must be a bug.

quote:Or the fact that my ppl become unhappy and I have to divide my precious wealth with them and start over. 10%? [rant]

That's a feature. Managing your crew is part of the game. You can get a bigger share on higher levels. Or you could get your crew get killed or something evil.

I noticed the land battles are very slooooooooooooooooow. All moves are animated, and that makes them very sloooooooooooooooooooow. Next to unplayable.
Sinking ships is still fun though.

Lt. Killer M
30-11-2004, 15:54
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Alright, perhaps one sentense with 42 words and no comma's wasn't such a good idea. [lol]
you make a lot less sense than me, here:
quote:
Firaxis made the best game ever: Civ3. true, so far
quote:Because of that we all play it as much as possible.
yepquote:Because of that we find out all the bugs there are in Civ3.erhhhhh..... nope! Play for 1 hour and you meet ten bugs. 45 after the first 5 patches.
quote:Because of that most bugs we know are in fact coming from Civ3.uh, no, i played Falcon 4.0. But Falcon wasn't as easy to fix as many BS things in Civ would have been (and turned out to be after enough whining and ranting by certain forum crowds)
quote:Because of that we blame Firaxis for making so many bugs.nope, I blame them for producing a game full of bugs because they produced a game that could have been bug free full of bugs.
quote:We then forget about the fact that they're made the best game ever. Nope, but we also don't forget that they produced one of the needlessetdly buggiest games ever.
quote:In fact, we don't even want to buy anything from Firaxis anymore.Yep, until it is finally relatively bug-free. (talking C3C latest patch here, that's what had been promised all along, after all)

quote:Is this more clear? [mischief]
I hope I screwed it up, I jsut haven't found a way to enter a jsut into the above part [estwing]

Lt. Killer M
30-11-2004, 15:58
quote:Originally posted by Plux

Nice sail [shabba]. Apart from that, the graphics look pretty dimm

hehe, the sails look like they have been washed with something brewed up @ the secret Henkel factory...... something to make needles drop from trees in Canada the instant it gets out of your washing machine into the Rhine [lol]

or are the sails simply passive-stone, giving them that glow, from all the [weed] you pirates smoke?

Melifluous
30-11-2004, 20:43
quote:
Pirates! constantly gave me a blue screen on my laptop computer (1.5GHz with Radeon Mobility)
Yup me too! It wasn't the classic BSoD, but looking closely it said something like a STOP error and that my graphics driver had entered an infinite loop!

quote:Maybe it's time for an ew driver for your video card, nvidia just released a new one.
Now this would be the answer you'd think.

Nope.

Removing the latest nvidia driver and rolling all the way back to a 2002 driver did the trick for me!

Played until 4am last night and dreamt of sailing off the coast of South America.

I thought the game was bloody dull,sail and fight sail and fight sail and fight.

And then my crew got pissed off at me and I had to share my 60,000 gold between them. [coool]

I got the option to advance to a higher level! Big deal.

Then next time I attack Cuadad de Nombre or somink I take out the cavalry and suchlike in those lovely slooooooooooow games of chequers and got to appoint a governer? So I put a good honest Dutchie to work and they now fix my boats for free. I have 1 wife at the moment, dancing didnt do it, but constant slaughter of spaniards and returning to the same port (Curacao) meant the Dutch were big fans. (OK a ruby ring and a diamond necklace helped) I'm a Mayor or Baron or somink now with a fame of 29.

Also next swordfight I get into I get to choose a weapon! Ra! This is what I remember and the fights arent just me beating the Thrust button to death (ok, it still kind of is, my one gripe with the game so far).

Only bug I've found is sneaking into a city. It tells me to follow the white arrows...

What fucking white arrows? [hmm]

How about I just wander about until I find the inn huh?

Melifluous

PS. OK one more gripe... Does the wind change direction anywhere? Or is it always east to west?

Grille
30-11-2004, 20:47
@Shabba:
what that funny symbols in the pic under the "Sint Kees" [shabba] (and English sloop)?
The load?
([hmm]like stardust both in family and single packages, then we have doctor hats and earphones?)

Melifluous
30-11-2004, 21:06
No they are the upgrades on his boat.

Lets see he has Copper plating (turn faster)
Cotton Sails (go faster?)
Triple hammocks (more men to a boat, hello sailor)
Iron Scatterlings (or somink, resistant to hull damage)
Chain Shot (ouch mind me legs, anti personel cannons)
Grape Shot (Do you know how long it took me to stitch that sail? Anti-sail cannons)

and finally a Bronze Cannon (more accurate shooting)

But he dont have no fine-grade powder yet (longer range)

That answer your question?

Melifluous

PS. Diclaimer I freely acknowledge that the grape and chain shot may be muddled. I always get confused. If in doubt go for the Round Shot and take the hull out from under them ;)

Grille
30-11-2004, 22:28
quote:
That answer your question?

Yup, thx! Sounds great, guess I have to waste some young & restless life in the caribbean soon.:)

Shabbaman
30-11-2004, 23:08
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous
Only bug I've found is sneaking into a city. It tells me to follow the white arrows...

What fucking white arrows? [hmm]

They're there for sure. Unfortunately, it's dark, so they're more like dark grey arrows. Look for classic wooden signs on the side of the road.

Yeah, you mixed the chain shot with the grape shot. The grape shot is a lot of small bullets, that kill a lot. The chain shot originally damaged ropes and masts. I've found that the chain shot does too much damage for my taste. I end up sinking a lot of treasure fleets...

Oh, my fame>>>>>60 [shabba]

Melifluous
02-12-2004, 00:34

Oh, my fame>>>>>60 [shabba]

Yeah but on what level?

You still playing Apprentice Journeyman or somink?

Fame of 33 now, no 4 in the Pirate Chart and playing Adventurer ;)
Oh and you can call me Duke Inigo Montoya now ;)

ALSO I MUST MENTION THIS...

If you have a problem with the game DO NOT DO as Atari tech forums suggest and use MSCONFIG to disable all start up options! This is quite possibly the most irresponsible and down right stupid piece of support information I have ever heard!!! (and I mean ever, worse than saying unscrew your motherboard whilst your comp is plugged in and switched on!!). This will stop some unneccessary programs start on boot up sure.

BUT MOST LIKELY WITH STOP YOUR ANTI VIRUS AND FIREWALL FROM STARTING UP!

You could be surfing the net unprotected and we all know what that means. Still it'll stop you emailing them problems with the game, so maybe they do have a point...

Melifluous.

Sorry for the short rant I was nothing short of amazed when I saw this piece of info trotted out for every single problems you may have with the game.

Best advice I can give you with speed issues on attacking a city (it can be quick!) is to play the entire game on 640x480 [:p]

It aint pretty but it stops you throwing your laptop out a window...

col
02-12-2004, 14:24
Where did you get it Meli - it aint due for release until Dec 3rd here, is it??

Melifluous
02-12-2004, 15:52
I, erm, found it!

Yes it was, erm, lying on the floor and I picked it up...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Melifluous

PS. Come on Col surely you can see the comedy. Aaargh...

Plux
02-12-2004, 16:24
Stinking pirate using deodorant ;)

Markstar
02-12-2004, 16:36
OMG these land fights were so lame!!![punch]

Melifluous
02-12-2004, 16:37

Yes.

But they go quicker if you use 640x480 res.

Also do I smell a Civ3 RNG in there? [eek]

Melifluous

Melifluous
02-12-2004, 16:37

Yes.

But they go quicker if you use 640x480 res.

Also do I smell a Civ3 RNG in there? [eek]

Melifluous

Shabbaman
13-03-2007, 23:18
Did I mention I now have this game for the PSP? No? Well, I do! Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Beam
13-03-2007, 23:56
What is PSP?

Darkness
14-03-2007, 00:34
playstation portable I guess...