PDA

View Full Version : WW2 in the Pacific PBEM

Arghis
03-11-2004, 13:20
<center>http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2004113121329_tora2.jpg
4.02KB</center>

So this game has started and here is the first report for Japan (ask for detail if needed)

American

- Davao
DD damaged by Zero (2x)
Inf killed by SNLF

Davao captured (DD destroyed)

Sub damaged by bombardment

- Puerto princess
captured

- Honolulu
F4 damaged by bombardment x 2
Citizen killed by bombardment
F4 killed by bombardment x 2
2 ship damaged

- Guam
Garnison damaged by bombardment and killed by Maizuru

- Near Guam
SS Pollack damaged by bombardment

- Near Wake
SS Trout damaged by bombardment and sunk

- Near Manilla
Tank damaged by bombardment

Commonwealth

- Honk kong

Garnison damaged by artillery, & killed by light tank

Honk kong captured

- Rangoon

MG Battalion damaged by artillery (x2) and killed by Nippon inf
Anzac inf damaged by artillery and killed by army
flak killed by Nippon inf
Fighter damaged by bombardment

China

- Near Kumming
Inf damaged by artillery & killed by enginneer

- Focchow

garnison damaged by bombardment and killed by SNLF
SNLF killed by guerilla
Guerilla killed by light tank

Focchow captured

- Near Hankow
Infantry damaged by bombardment, artillery and killed by light tank

Pearl harbor was not really a success. Well, Civ3 game mechanics are not adapted to this. Anyway, the goal is to play with a good bunch of players.

[soldier]

Justus II
04-11-2004, 06:35
Commonwealth Battle Report:
After one of Her Majesty's Destroyers spotted a Jap sub north of Sibu, a bomber was called in, which redlined it, then the destroyer finished it off. Also, some bombardment tore up roads south of Rangoon. No other battles at this time.

P.S. Are we going to open an Allied strategy thread? Also, I don't have the email addresses for the players after me in the play order (Dell19 and Rcoutme), unless I've lost an email that had them. If the other allies can send me an email at joe-s AT insightbb DOT com I can add them to a group.

Dell19
04-11-2004, 17:38
I'll start a new thread in my sub forum for spoilers...

My email address is Dell19_ug AT hotmail DOT com

Dell19
05-11-2004, 01:05
bombardment of army and a railroad was damaged next to my fort in the north eastern front.

Rcoutme
06-11-2004, 00:32
My email is Rcoutme at hotmail dot com.

Rcoutme
06-11-2004, 00:58
umm... don't they allow editing? Anyways... The Dutch took their turn. They did not see any Japanese, so they drank some tea and got ready for the onslaught that is sure to come.

Arghis
06-11-2004, 16:04
2nd report

Commonwealth

Kudat

Temple destroyed by bombardment

American

Honolulu

4 unit damaged by bombers
Barracks destroyed
2 BB sunk
1 BB damaged
1 CA damaged

Some citizen killed x 2

1 bomber shot down
1 zero shot down

Near Midway

DD Shaw damaged by bombardment & sunk
SS Argonaut damaged by bombardment & sunk

Apari
1 inf damaged by bombardment
1 inf killed by SNLF

Apari captured

Near Manilla

CA Houston damaged by bombers and bombardment & sunk by CA

Kumano
DD Edsall damaged by bombardment & sunk by CA Chokai

Near Palau
SS Seawolf damaged by Bombardment & sunk by SS I-24

China

Hankow
7 Inf damaged by bombers & bombardment

Walls destroyed

Nanning

1 inf damaged by bombardment & destroyed by light tanks
1 inf damaged by bombardment & destroyed by army
1 Guerilla damaged by bombardment & destroyed by army
Barracks destroyed

romeothemonk
08-11-2004, 15:11
We, the Americans, lost the SkipJack and the DD Wordon this turn.
However we sunk the DD IShio, and another DD near Kwajalein. A large Jap fleet was bombarded near manila, redlining a BB and heavily damaging other ships.

Justus II
08-11-2004, 20:05
January was a busy month for the RAF. A fighter and bomber teamed up to sink a Jap sub SW of Truk, and another bomber damaged a cruiser SW of Manila. Unfortunately, we lost a bomber to intercepters while trying to bomb rails SW of Bangkok.

Dell19
08-11-2004, 20:43
A bomber destroyed a road on a coal tile in the southern combat zone near Nanning.

Artillary damaged the stack next to Hankow and a light tank destroyed the Japanese tank whilst an engineer destroyed an infantry unit for some loss of health (around 3 or 4 bars over both units).

Justus II
12-11-2004, 21:45
Hmm, what happened to this game? Last turn I saw was on Monday, who has it now?

Rcoutme
12-11-2004, 22:52
I hate to admit this,but this one could easily be my fault. Arghis, did you get a save from me since you last sent one?

Dell19
12-11-2004, 23:27
Seems like Japan didn't get the save or hasn't had a chance to play.

Rcoutme
13-11-2004, 00:00
The Dutch have switched to adding hard lemonade to their tea and are wondering what all this fuss is about. Meanwhile, they are still looking for any planes or boats with red on them...

Arghis
13-11-2004, 16:20
i've just received the save last night (lately ); here's my turn

[b]Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif War-pacific-Arghis-03.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/20041113151615_War-pacific-Arghis-03.SAV)
249.64*KB

And here's my battle report :

- China

Sian

2 inf damaged by artillery
2 guerilla damaged by artillery
1 flak destroyed by tanks
2 inf destroyed by tanks
1 guerilla destroyed by tanks
1 guerilla destroyed by inf
1 plane destroyed

Sian captured

Near Hankow
road destroyed

Near Kunming
road destroyed (rubber)

Kunming
Walls destroyed by artillery

- America

Manilla

6 DD damaged by artillery
1 fighter damaged
1 bomber damaged

Coastal fortress destroyed by artillery

3 bomber shot down :(

Honolulu

Citizen killed
Granary destroyed
Civil defense destroyed

1 BB damaged
1 CA damaged
1 CA damaged & sunk
1 BB damaged & sunk
1 BB damaged
1 BB sunk
1 BB sunk

1 bomber shot down

romeothemonk
13-11-2004, 18:27
I sunk a DD near Honolulu, bombarded a zero and lost 1 bomber.

Justus II
13-11-2004, 21:13
A Commonwealth sub sank a Jap sub south of Truk. Otherwise, rather quiet.

Dell19
13-11-2004, 22:47
:eek

Bombardment by 3 artillary and bomber and then attacks from the engineer, 3 infantry (1 4 health the others 3 health and 2 guerillas were then lost to destroy the army and infantry unit capturing 2 artillary that bombarded the railroad next to Nanking. (Only the tank survived at 2 health)

Then the guerilla and 2 infantry bypassed in the attack on Sian were used, plus two more infantry units at 3 health and two conscrips to destroy the 2 tanks and 1 infantry unit for the loss of the guerilla and a conscript.

Fighter shot down, roads pillaged near Kunming and Nanning.

Rcoutme
14-11-2004, 00:32
The Dutch wish to report that we finally saw something with red on it so we fired on it. It was nasty and fired back, so we kept on firing until it went down. We think it was a submarine, so it either sank or ran away.

Anyways, that was our only engagement, our sub took 2 hp of damage.

Arghis
14-11-2004, 15:13
- China

Kunming

1 MG bat damaged by artillery (x3)
1 Inf damaged by artillery
3 inf killed by army
2 inf killed by tanks
1 guerilla killed by Mech div
1 MG bat killed by inf
3 inf killed by inf
1 flak killed by inf

Kunming captured

1 artillery captured

1 inf killed by MG bat

Near Kunming

1 guerrila damaged by artillery & killed by tanks

Near Chunkin

railroads destroyed by bombardment

Near Sian

6 inf damaged by bombardment

3 inf killed by inf
3 inf killed by tanks

Near Hankow

railroads destroyed

- America

Near Honolulu

DD sunk by bombardment
SS Bream damaged by bombardment

Manilla

5 DD damaged by artillery
1 bomber damaged by artillery
1 bomber damaged & destroyed by bombardment
1 bomber destroyed by bombardment
1 fighter destroyed by bombardment
2 DD sunk by bombardment
1 MG bat killed by SNLF
1 inf damaged by artillery
1 inf killed by SNLF
Radar tower destroyed by tanks

1 Maizaru killed by inf
1 SNL killed by inf
1 tank destroyed by MG bat
2 zero shot down

- Commonwealth

1 sub damaged and sunk by bombardments

Wow. I've miss my attack on Manilla, and the Chinese hve defeated one of my army thus stopping my advance in east China.
Ah, Rcoutme, don't despair, i will come to you, but there will be some delay :D

romeothemonk
14-11-2004, 15:56
This turn I killed a Zero at Kwajalein, and sunk I-21 near honolulu for no losses. Manila was reinforced, again. Gotta love that. You should start running out of Marines pretty quick.

Arghis
14-11-2004, 16:19
Yes, the battle of Manilla is a hard one. I've lost some good units this turn (2 elites), but, well, it spices up the things ...

romeothemonk
14-11-2004, 17:10
You didn't even let my draftees get into the fight. I would hate to make the citizens of Manilla resent the draft and then not need it. I will let them grow up elsewhere instead though. I like the plane losses at Manila. I count at least 5 of yours that have been lost.

Justus II
16-11-2004, 06:03
The Commonwealth is pleased to report a successful counterattack near Kumming. A Jap paratroop was spotted at the airfield, preparing for another treacherous mission. After artillery was called in, a brave ANZAC Infantry went through the mountain pass and finished him off, taking light injuries.

RAF Bomber Command also reported severly damaging a Destroyer off the coast of Manila, and a Cruiser south of Truk. All aircraft returned to base.

Dell19
16-11-2004, 21:16
China continued the defense by bombarding the elite infantry and tank north of Hankow to 2 health each. A paratrooper south of Chunking was injured and then defeated by a veteran guerrilla whilst a road was cut near foochow.

Rcoutme
16-11-2004, 23:06
The Dutch wish to announce that they are getting ready for the reconquest of their homeland. The trek will be a long one (and estimated 17,000 mile journey) after which they will have to face the combined armies of the Third Reich and the evil Italians.

Arghis
17-11-2004, 13:14
5th report

- America

Manilla

3 DD damaged by bombardment
1 fighter damaged & destroyed
2 DD sunk
1 inf damaged by bombardment
1 tank damaged
1 inf damaged
1 inf destroyed by tanks
1 tank killed by SNLF
1 Flak killed by SNLF
1 inf killed by SNLF (a damaged elite)

Barracks destroyed

Manilla captured

Near Honololu

SS batfish damaged by bombardment and sunk

- Commonwealth

Near Myitkyina

2 inf killed by inf

Myitkyina captured by army

Railroads destroyed

Near Mandalay

1 worker captured

Rabaul

2 DD damaged by artillery

2 jap bomber shot down

- China

Taiyuan

Barracks destroyed by bombardment

1 MG Bat damaged by artillery
1 inf killed by tanks

1 jap Tank killed by inf

@Rcoutme : don't leave for your homeland, i'm arriving. It's just that your neighbors do not facilitate me the trip [joker]

romeothemonk
17-11-2004, 15:32
Holy Marines there Batman. I sunk a DD near honolulu and damaged another one, but lost a DD of my own. Oh Well. I have some scientists working on a top secret project in Reno. We call it operation Whoops. The days of large stacks are for you soon to be over.

Rcoutme
18-11-2004, 03:18
This is off topic, but Justus II, are you the same guy who solved the barbarian problem?

Justus II
18-11-2004, 04:23
quote:Originally posted by Rcoutme

This is off topic, but Justus II, are you the same guy who solved the barbarian problem?

Well, I won't claim to have solved it, as Watorrey and others really pointed me in the right direction, but yes, I'm the same Justus II from CFC who did the testing in this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=100704.

(Justus is actually my middle name, so I use it on most boards). I've actually been interested in testing the changed AIPatrol setting in a PBEM, as I *think* that only the setting of the last human player will affect the Barbarians, but obviously it's irrelevant in a PBEM like this with no barbs.

Justus II
18-11-2004, 07:27
RAF Far East Command, April, 1942
Based on Allied intelligence reports, the RAF flew multiple sorties to knock out the main Oil pumping station near Saigon. After the first flight of fighters drew interceptors and was shot down, follow-on flights of fighters and bombers struck the target repeatedly. Reports are that the mission was a success.

Off the Solomon Islands, the SS Tally Ho spotted a squadron of Jap cruisers. After calling in a flight of bombers to cripple it, the now-veteran crew of the Tally Ho put the final torpedo in to sink the CA Furutako.

Meanwhile, the defenders of Mandalay dig in and prepare for the imminent assault of Nipponese Infantry from the mountains to the north.

Justus II
18-11-2004, 07:33
WWII Conquest Unit Help Sheet

Not sure if anyone else has already done this (I haven't seen it at CFC yet), so I put together a quick reference sheet for this conquest, listing all the units with their stats, cost, requirements, abilities, etc. All these are taken from the editor, not the (dubious) Civilopedia. I'm posting a .JPG version, if anyone wants the original (excel) file, let me know.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Justus II/2004111863028_WWII_Units.jpg
170.6KB

Dell19
18-11-2004, 18:13
Paratrooper bombarded with artillary and destroyed by veteran tank.
Tank near Taiyuan bombarded, attacked by infantry left at (2/3), destroyed by conscript as it tried to retreat.
Infantry north of Hankow bombarded and destroyed by tank whilst tank to the east was reduced to 2 health.
Railroad damaged north of Nanking.

Arghis
19-11-2004, 22:35
Hello

for all those interested in following this game, i've made a microsite (instead of a spoiler thread in the forum) to give various detail on this scenario. Go there : http://blhoyez.free.fr/cdz-witp/

Of course, for the other players, this is spoiler; you'll have to wait until we finish it. :-)

Dell19
19-11-2004, 22:45
Nearly opened it... :\ Thought it was going to just show zoomed out maps...

Rcoutme
20-11-2004, 03:21
Hey Arghis...do you have any preference to who would take my turn for me? I had to go to a meeting for my son's education and it lasted 3 hours. Since I have an illness, this took way too much out of me...

Any of my allies should be acceptable...probably only need one turn taken anyways...

Arghis
20-11-2004, 11:55
The Commonwealth would be ok i think

Justus II
21-11-2004, 03:08
Dutch April turn played and sent, no battles to report. :)

Arghis
21-11-2004, 13:26
Spying

Commonwealth caught one spy
China caught one spy

Warfare

- Dutch

Sarmi

Inf damaged by artillery & bombardment x3
Inf killed by Maizuru x2

Sarmi captured

- Commonwealth

Kudat

MG bat damaged by art
2 Inf damaged by art x2

MG bat killed by SNLF
Inf killed by SNLF
Inf killed by SNLF

Kudat captured

Near Sibu

Japanese Bomber shot down
Roads destroyed

- China

Near Taiyuan

Near Hankow

Railroads destroyed by bombardment

Arghis
22-11-2004, 17:38
Hi all

any ideas where is the save ?

i'm still working to make you a good spoiler, so that after this game you'll have if you want an interesting reading. How things are for you ? is the game interesting ?

Rcoutme
22-11-2004, 17:40
Well...I am assuming that RtM has the save. He just got back from a business trip or something...the game has been quite interesting (even if I could not play my most recent turn).

Justus II
22-11-2004, 18:44
Actually, Romeo sent me the save yesterday, I just did not have time to play it last night. I plan on playing it during my lunch hour today.

romeothemonk
22-11-2004, 19:54
Yeah, I had no combat and I posted my results on the allied spoiler page. Rcoutme should have seen that already.

Justus II
22-11-2004, 22:42
Tired of the RAF getting all the glory, in May, 1942, the Royal Navy struck back! [yeah] Off the coast of Khudat, one bomber was lost, but a second bomber found it’s target, damaging a destroyer, which was finished off by a Royal Navy submarine. Also, the formerly British oilfields there were bombarded to make sure they would be unusable by the enemy.

North of New Guinea, an alert submarine, trying to follow the oil slicks of the cruiser squadron he engaged last month, came across 2 cruisers, the Kako and Kumano, and a nearby submarine. The Royal Navy sorted a number of destroyers and cruisers from Rabaul, and after some ranged bombardment (and a bomber sortie), the CA Exeter moved in to kill the Kako, while the submarine finished off the Kumano. A destroyer sunk the damaged sub. A couple ships sustained minor damage.

Dell19
22-11-2004, 23:16
The two infantry north of Hankow were both reduced to 1 hit point each and destroyed by a tank which is now elite.
Road to the east destroyed, finishing off the work from last turn
Infantry next to my northern city bombarded
Paratrooper south of Chunking bombarded

Rcoutme
22-11-2004, 23:43
The Dutch have no offense combat results to report.

Arghis
23-11-2004, 03:13
Spying

Netherlands caught one spy

Warfare

Commonwealth

SS storm bombarded for no effect by DD, damaged by CA & sunk by CA

Japanese Bomber shot down near Kudat

China

Hankow

3 MG bat damaged by artillery
1 Tank damaged by bombardment
2 Inf damaged by artillery
2 inf damaged by bombardment

2 Japanese Bomber shot down

Taiyuan

Some citizen killed by bombardment

Netherlands

SS K-XII damaged by artillery & sunk by bombardment

romeothemonk
23-11-2004, 06:12
I destroyed a DD off of Wake, and sunk the I-23 that was in between Wake and Hawaii. I lost 1 bomber, but that was okay, as I spotted a large concentration of incoming ships.

Justus II
23-11-2004, 07:36
June, 1942 was a quiet month on the Commonwealth front, just some bombardments of roads, and some naval bombardment damage to a destroyer in Khudat.

Dell19
23-11-2004, 18:50
The stack to the east of Hankow was repeatedly bombarded until all 4 units were reduced to 1 health each, then the first 3 were destroyed by a light tank which promoted to elite and lost 1 hit point and the fourth was destroyed by another tank.

The Japanese tank to the north lost 1 hit point, the infantry unit next to my northern city also lost a hitpoint to bombardment.

The previously Chinese road was bombarded and destroyed.

The Chinese are ready to defend Hankow to the last man...

Rcoutme
23-11-2004, 19:53
The Dutch did just as much this turn as last turn.

Arghis
23-11-2004, 22:45
Damn chinese ! [aargh]

Warfare

China

- Near Hankow

Railroads destroyed x2
Roads destroyed x6

- Near Chengdu

Roads destroyed

- Taiyuan

4 MG bat damaged by artillery & bombardment

Granary destroyed

Netherlands

SS K XVIII damaged by (naval) artillery & sunk by bombardment

romeothemonk
24-11-2004, 01:43
Not much to report from here, the Jap carrier fleet seems to have turned tail and run.

Justus II
24-11-2004, 04:39
Hmm, I can't find any Japs to bomb either... Too quiet.

Arghis
24-11-2004, 17:57
[jump]

Dell19
25-11-2004, 01:00
A couple of units injured in that northern stack.

The tank east of Hankow injured and destroyed by an elite tank which lost no hit points.

1 or two hit points taken off the stack to the north of Hankow...

Rcoutme
25-11-2004, 02:03
The long-awaited liberation of our homeland has begun! We have sent an invasion force to Amsterdam and Den Hague to liberate the sacred soil![charge]

Arghis
25-11-2004, 14:25
Spying

Warfare

China

- Taiyuan

3 Mg Bat damaged by artillery

- Lanchow

4 inf destroyed by tanks
1 Guerilla destroyed by tanks

Lanchow captured

- Near Lanchow

2 workers captured

- Near Chengdu

Railroads destroyed
Roads destroyed

- Near Chunking

Railroads destroyed

- Hankow

3 MG Bat damaged by artillery

- Near Hankow

3 inf killed by infantry

1 worker captured

Netherlands

- Menado

DD damaged by naval artillery
Transport damaged by naval artillery

- Manokwari

Inf damaged by naval artillery & killed by Maizaru

Manokwari captured

- Near Manokwari

roads destroyed

- Near Kudat

SS K XV damaged by naval artillery

Commonwealth

- Near Puerto Princess

SS Taurus damaged by naval artillery & sunk by DD

romeothemonk
25-11-2004, 15:55
No real combat this turn. Spotted the Jap fleet. We appear to be in a Mexican standoff. Before Arghis asks what that is, it is where both sides have pointed guns at each other waiting for the other side to move first, or even flinch.

Arghis
25-11-2004, 18:30
i thought you should appreciate this one [devil]
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2004112517297_jap-propaganda-1.jpg
33.82KB

Justus II
26-11-2004, 02:08
The Fall of Saigon

The time has finally come to turn back the tide of Japanese advance! In the largest operation of the war to date, the RAF began with massive air raids on the Japanese base at Saigon. Although two fighters were lost, and some bombs fell harmlessly into the city, enough hit to damage an infantry, flak, and a Zero. The Royal Navy followed up, with some preperatory bombardment, then Royal Marines began to assault ashore. The first two killed the infantry and flak, and Saigon was ours!! [hammer] More naval gunfire support was used to soften up the flaks defending the oil pipeline and airfield, and additional marines and an ANZAC infantry landed at the port facilities at Saigon, killed the flaks, although one regiment of brave marines was lost. [cry]

EDIT: Two Zero's were also destroyed on the ground, one at the airfield, one in the city.

Some workers brought over quickly built an airfield north of the city, so more reinforcements could be flown in. More artillery was used to break up Japanese rail lines in the area, to disrupt counterattacks. In the immortal words of Churchill, "We shall fight them on the Beaches, we shall fight them in the towns..."

P.S. Unlike the evil artist of that propaganda, our Aussies are proud to serve alongside our American brothers.

Dell19
26-11-2004, 19:41
complete destruction of the rail/road north of Lanchow.

Bombardment of the stack south of Hankow reduced the health significantly.
2 elite tanks and a veteran attacked with one of the elites attacking twice to destroy the 3 infantr and MG to capture the 5 pieces of artillary.

Arghis
26-11-2004, 20:45
Nice move in Saigon !

Tell me, there is something i don't understand. Does Fortress have no effect in this game ?

romeothemonk
26-11-2004, 22:18
You would have to check the civilopedia. I know that rivers give no bonus. There are other changes from the epic games. You would have to check on dang near everything, I know I do.

Dell19
27-11-2004, 00:47
fortress as in the terrain improvements? I thought they only worked in friendly territory...

Arghis
28-11-2004, 13:02
Well it is said that units inside have a bonus and a ZOC ... If it is true that this improvment must be inside your territoy to have efect, i would never have moved this way ...

Check on dang ? what does this mean ? So river gaves no bonus; i just find it in civpedia. hmmm, ok :-(

In civpedia i found nothing explicit.

Arghis
28-11-2004, 13:11
hmm

when i look at one of the effect of a barricade, which is to stop movement for a unit entering the hex, i see that the barricade i control (inside my territory) does not hinder my moves (good news at last), and the one i does not control stop my moves. So with that said, it seems that when you're not in your borders, the terrain improvment bonus does not apply to you ... this lack of clarity is confusing ...

Arghis
28-11-2004, 16:46
Spying

China

Near Taiyuan

Roads destroyed

Near Hankow

Tank killed by engineer

Mg Bat damaged by bombardment
Inf damaged by bombardment x 6

Mg Bat killed by inf
Inf killed by inf x6

6 artillery captured

Netherlands

Menado

Mg Bat damaged by artillery
Marines damaged by artillery
Inf damaged by artillery x2

Transport sunk by bombardment

Tenate

DD sunk by bombardment

Inf damaged by bombardment & artillery x4
Flak damaged by artillery

Inf killed by Maizuru or SNLF x4
Flak killed by SNLF

Tenate captured

Near Kudat

SS K-XV damaged by bombardment & sunk

romeothemonk
28-11-2004, 21:04
This turn saw the sinking of the Sub bonefish, but the Triumph of the sub Tambor. Tambor sunk the carrier Soryu, promoting himself. 1 of the main japanese fleet carriers went down, hopefully with a load of planes. We have ~8500 VP's while Japan is a few shy of 20,000. I also took Kwajalein this turn, killing 2 nips, and a flak. I lost no units other than the Bonefish.

Justus II
30-11-2004, 06:03
A scouting destroyer spotted the CA Mikuma and DD Fubuki off the coast of Khudat. After repeated naval bombardment severely damaged both ships, the RAF was vectored in to sink them. No losses reported. Also, some artillery support from Saigon was called in to disperse a threatening herd of elephants near an old airfield. :D

Dell19
30-11-2004, 18:40
Near Hankow, furthest advanced stack all redlined with all but one destroyed for the loss of a conscript.

Rcoutme
01-12-2004, 04:10
[slap]The taking of Tenate was mean!

We are now focusing our attention on the Japanese, the Germans and Italians can wait!

The ships in Tenate harbor were bombed. That is just a taste of the wrath that is to come. Beware the anger of the RDM's!

Arghis
01-12-2004, 13:20
hmm ? "... was mean" ? i'm not sure to understand (even with the help of my dictionnary). Could you gave me a synonim ?

yndy
01-12-2004, 14:40
'evil'

digger760
01-12-2004, 14:57
mean:
[devil2], cruel, [hammer] nasty, to treat somebody unkindly
[devil][fdevil][guns][headstab][laser][mgun][plasma][rifle][rocket][shoot][slay][soldier]

Moff Jerjerrod
01-12-2004, 16:40
quote:Originally posted by Rcoutme

[slap]The taking of Tenate was mean!

We are now focusing our attention on the Japanese, the Germans and Italians can wait!

The ships in Tenate harbor were bombed. That is just a taste of the wrath that is to come. Beware the anger of the RDM's!

Get him!!!!! Screenshots anyone? [goodjob]

Arghis
01-12-2004, 18:44
Netherlands

Sangkoelirang

MG bat damaged by artillery & bombardment
Inf damaged by artillery

MG Bat killed by maizuru
Inf killed by SNLF

Sangkoelirang captured

Near Sangkoelirang

Inf damaged by artillery & killed by SNLF

Dongala

Inf damaged by artillery x 2

Inf killed by Maizuru
Flak killed by SNLF
Inf killed by Marine

Dongala captured

Near Dongala

Marines killed by tanks

Menado

CA damaged by artillery & bombardment x2
Some citizen killed x2

Near Manokwari

Inf damaged by artillery

Near Tenate

China

Near Hankow

Barricades destroyed

Inf damaged by artillery x4
Guerilla killed by inf
Inf killed by inf x3

Jap Inf killed by guerilla
Jap inf killed by inf x2

Hankow

MG bat damaged by artillery & bombardment x4
Tanks damaged by bombardment x2

Some citizen killed x2

Tank killed by army x2
Inf killed by army x2
MG bat killed by army x2
MG bat killed by tanks x2
Flak killed by inf

7 artillery captured
Hankow captured

Jap Inf killed by flak

Near Chengdu

roads destroyed

US

Near Truk

SS tambor damaged by artillery

Arghis
01-12-2004, 19:09
Mean ! Well, that is a rather unfair judgement.

After all, who is really mean to you ?

The japanese empire, who attacks you while you were plainly conscious of the risk of your position in this area or the Commonwealth which prefer securing his own interest instead of helping you ?

[fdevil]

Arghis
01-12-2004, 20:28
I wish i could have sunk your sub !

Well, of course, i could, if i had put a little more effort, but i choose to risk having a naval battle ...

romeothemonk
01-12-2004, 20:31
A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. I don't know how to really curse in French, but maybe Arghis will teach us.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2004121192742_picture.jpg
83.14KB

I lost 1 bomber, Arghis lost at least 2 battleships. I also killed a Nip infantry that was holding out at Kwajalein. The Dutch Marines can be mean, but the American Marines just get it done. Arghis can pick which ones he wants to face. On a side note the thousands of American Physicists are just camping in the desert. There is absolutely nothing top secret occuring. Einstein, Fermi, Oppenheimer and co. are just camping in the wilderness. REALLY.

romeothemonk
01-12-2004, 20:32
A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. I don't know how to really curse in French, but maybe Arghis will teach us.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2004121192742_picture.jpg
83.14KB

I lost 1 bomber, Arghis lost at least 2 battleships. I also killed a Nip infantry that was holding out at Kwajalein. The Dutch Marines can be mean, but the American Marines just get it done. Arghis can pick which ones he wants to face. On a side note the thousands of American Physicists are just camping in the desert. There is absolutely nothing top secret occuring. Einstein, Fermi, Oppenheimer and co. are just camping in the wilderness. REALLY.

romeothemonk
01-12-2004, 20:33
Interesting, sorry for the double post, but I only clicked submit once.

Arghis
01-12-2004, 20:48
To curse, you can say "Maudit soit-il" for instance ,which can translate in something like "Damn him".

To answer one of your question, it seems than the CV Suryu were not carrying airplanes (let's imagine your sub having made a small reco after the attack ...).

By the way, in your last attack, how does my planes have worked ? They have just intercept one of your bombers ?

The emperor has also send scientist in the Gobi desert. for now they have just found time to be long :-)

Arghis
01-12-2004, 21:46
You can edit your post; i had the same prob - it seems that the server had some prob because i had a script error even if the post was accepted ...

By the way, for all those curious, you can found info on this game in my spoiler thread. In fact, i'd appreciate some comments, because sometimes playing alone is, well, ..., you're alone

Justus II
02-12-2004, 06:14
The Commonwealth Counterattacks [charge]

[u]New Guinea</u>
After the RAF bombers destroy the harbor, and redline the two defenders at Sarmi, the Royal Marines charge ashore, killing an infantry and a jap Marine, taking the city. The city will be returned to the Dutch when they can arrange to garrison it.

[u]Borneo</u>
The RAF is proud to announce that one of their fighter-bombers shot down a Zero sent to intercept them, and damaged a Combat Engineer defending Kudat. Marines followed up and were treated to a fireworks display as his Napalm cannister exploded on his back, capturing the town. The Bank at Puerto Princess was also destroyed by bombardment, just for target practice.

[u]Indochina</u>
Well, it appears that the Japanese have been drafting all over China to beef up the defenses in the south. After naval gunfire, land-based artillery, and RAF bombardment softened up uncountable defenders, the ANZACs and Marines attacked Pnom Penh, but even after killing 5 infantry (mostly conscripts), at least 2 defenders remained. A Commonwealth MG Battalion, recklessly charging into the fray, was killed. The siege will have to continue until next month.

Dell19
02-12-2004, 16:44
Little to report, some roads pillaged.

yndy
02-12-2004, 17:31
It's getting more dramatic with every turn! I guess you all gather a lot of VP's, what's the current balance?

Edit: Arghis I do comment on your page, but can you reply to my numerous questions? I represent the brave Romanians who are Allies of Germany and thus Japan, at least until Aug 1944 :).

BTW, I promise that if we'll get Stalingrad, we will focus on the Caucasus and get enough oil to supply ourselves and our Japanese allies. But the winter is closing and we desperately need warm clothes.

Rcoutme
03-12-2004, 08:29
I did not receive the save...

Rcoutme
03-12-2004, 14:44
The Dutch forces are getting hammered by the Japanese navy and marines but we are fighting back. Amongst our tactical moves we also managed to attack a large flotilla of ships, damaging the BB Kongo for 2 hp.

Rcoutme
03-12-2004, 15:07
btw, Arghis...not to be a crybaby about any of this...but did you use this fleet to bombard units? Usually, in the pbems I play, we state when we use ships, planes etc to bombard. Thus the player would have some idea what is going on.

In the spirit of fair play with that: the Kongo was bombarded by two CA's (only 1 hit for 1 hp of damage) and by an artillery (also for 1 hp of damage).

The reason I mention is that usually a player would be able to see the battles that he would be fighting defensively.

Arghis
03-12-2004, 15:26
Ho, yes, sorry. In my reports, i had put artillery, where it was naval artillery ... i'll correct that for future update. Technically, we should even make a difference between bombardment by a fighter, a bomber, and now a fighter bomber, because this too has some importance :-)

Justus II
03-12-2004, 15:48
Point noted, I will be specific also. I've tried to differentiate between RAF (Air), Naval, and land-based artillery.

Arghis
04-12-2004, 12:31
Spying

Netherlands caught a spy

Commonwealth

- Kudat

DD damaged by naval artillery & sunk by fighter-bombers
Transport damaged by naval artillery & sunk by fighter-bombers
Marines damaged by naval artillery x2

- Near Sibu

MG bat damaged by artillery

- Near Saigon

Engineer damaged by artillery
Inf damaged by artillery x4

Inf killed by inf x4
Flak killed by inf
Engineer kiled by inf

2 artillery captured

- Near Pnom Penh

Mg bat damaged by artillery x2
Marine damaged by artillery

Netherlands

- Near Sangkoelirang

Inf damaged by artillery and killed by tanks

US

- Near Truk

Sub sunk by zero

- Near Saipan

Transport damaged & sunk by zero

China

- Near Chunking

Roads & Railroads destroyed by bombers

romeothemonk
04-12-2004, 16:08
In Truk, Zero destroyed by navy. MG battalion killed. I lost 2 marines, so Truk still is Japanese. Have no worry, 4 new battalions of Marines graduated from Quantico, and are on their way to Truk as we speak. Plus the already deployed marines are revectoring towards Truk as well. The Jap fleet seems to have turned tail and run away, making it a relatively uneventful turn. Maybe they went for help from the small dinky fleet by the Dutch?

Justus II
05-12-2004, 04:47
Commonwealth Tanks into Action!

After all the RAF and Navy glory, it's time for the British Army to get into the action. They were led on several fronts by the first front-line units to recieve tanks.

[u]Manokwari</u>
After bombardment by a squadron of cruisers wounded the defending infantry and flak, a light tank approached from the land side and killed both, taking some return fire but becoming elite.

[u]Tenato</u>
The first flight of RAF fighters was shot down by ground fire, but follow-on fighter-bombers damaged a cruiser and destroyer in the port. A transport full of marines moved into position, escorted by some fast destroyers. The destroyer's bombardment damaged a bomber on the ground, and the defending marine. Our Royal Marines then stormed ashore, killing a marine, paratrooper, and two infantry, although a regiment of marines was lost. The cruiser, destroyer, and bomber must have been scuttled in the process, but we did capture an artillery piece intact. :)

[u]Near Sangkoelirang</u>
RAF fighter-bombers pounded a Maizaru at the oil-field, and although the first wave of ANZAC (conscripts) were killed, the second succeeded in killing the Maizaru, and securing the oil-field. Reinforcements were brought in to defend the area. Also, a bomber heavily damaged the CA Chokai near Davao.

[u]Near Hue</u>
RAF aerial recon confirmed the movement of heavy enemy forces south into Indochina, and so fighter-bombers were sent to disrupt the flow. Rail and roads were cut south of Hanoi, and a Tank Army was damaged in Hue.

[u]Near Saigon</u>
Naval gunfire damaged the infantry at the airfield N of Saigon, and another 2 infantry guarding our captured artillery. An Anzac killed the infantry to retake the airfield, and another light tank regiment [charge] charged out of Saigon to attack, killing two infantry and becoming elite. They were severly damaged, however, and had to pull back. We won't give up, though, we WILL retake our artillery!!

Dell19
05-12-2004, 12:44
One road pillaged.

Rcoutme
05-12-2004, 14:47
The Royal Dutch Marines were out in force this month. First...attacks by artillery and naval gunfire showed the defenders of Donggala to be worthless and weak. The 2nd RDM and the 8th RDM divisions stormed the city. The 2nd division took heavy casualties [duelist]from the defending infantry (the Japanese marines were apparently all drunk and gave minimal resistance) [punch]but finally finished off all the Nips and the division won many honors.

The remaining marines helped to quiet the residents and isolate the paratroopers holding out on New Amterdam Field.

A word to those Paratroopers, take the remaining planes and go home! You will never see you wives and children, your parents and sweethearts again if you remain![nono]

Arghis
07-12-2004, 01:23
Spying

Commonwealth

- Near Saigon

Inf damaged by artillery x6
Marines damaged by artillery x2
MG Bat damaged by artillery x2

DD damaged by fighter-bombers & sunk by bombers
Transport damaged by bombers & sunk by bombers

- Kudat

- Tenate

Fighter-bombers damaged by fighter-bombers
Fighter-bombers damaged by bombers

- Near Tenate

DD damaged by bombers x3
Transport damaged by bombers

- Near Sangkoelirang

Tank damaged by naval artillery x4
Transport sunk by DD

Netherlands

- Dongala

DD damaged by naval artillery & sunk by zero
Transport damaged by naval artillery & sunk by zero

China

- Near Hankow

Inf killed by inf

- Near Lanchow

Inf damaged by artillery & killed by inf

1 japanese inf killed

- Near Chunking

Roads destroyed by bombers

romeothemonk
07-12-2004, 06:46
After some naval bombardment, some roughneck Marines went ashore and captured Truk, killing a Flak. The American navy, with nothing really to do, decided to indiscriminately bomb Japanese cities. [}:)]
The results were amazing. An elite fighter bomber and a regular zero were destroyed by bombers at Palau. A B-29 executed a daring bank robbery at Saipan, destroying the bank, and another wing of B-29's damaged a unit at Davao. I didn't get to see the damage, but I assume it was the marine on top. [slap]

Justus II
07-12-2004, 20:24
The RAF launched a major attack against some Japanese ships blockading the straights NE of Borneo. But unfortunately, there were too many ships, and not enough bombs to go around. The BB Haruna was severly damaged, and 3 destroyers took damage as well. 7 Squadrons of fighter/bombers and one bomber took part, and all planes returned to base safely.

Further east, a squadron of 4 cruisers shelled Palau, destroying the Coastal Fortress and Barracks. Three waves of fighter/bombers and a bomber squadron flew as well, damaging a defending MG battalion, and causing some collateral civilian casualties.

Edit: I also destroyed some rails near Pnom Penh and the road to the oilfields outside Sangkolering.

Dell19
08-12-2004, 11:14
No combat results.

Rcoutme
08-12-2004, 19:44
The RDM 6th Division wiped out the Niponese conscripts left to defend New Amsterdam field and with that, the Dutch High Command declared the Island of Celebes once again free of Japanese influence. The Island of Borneo still has pockets of resistance, but the High Command has confidence that with our British allies we can wipe out that resistance in the near future.

Arghis
09-12-2004, 22:34
Spying

Netherlands caught a spy

China

- Taiyuan

MG bat damaged by artillery & bombers x4

Inf killed by tanks x2
MG bat killed by tank army x4
Flak killed by tanks

Taiyuan captured

- Near Taiyuan

Inf damaged by artillery and killed by inf

Netherlands

Dongala

Marines damaged by artillery x3

- Menado

Fighter-bombers damaged by naval artillery x2
Fighter-bombers destroyed by bombers
Fighter-bombers detroyed by fighter-bombers

Commonwealth

- Kudat

DD damaged by naval artillery & sunk by zero
Marines damaged naval artillery x4

- Sibu

Zero shot down
Fighter-bombers damaged by bombers x2
Some citizen killed

romeothemonk
09-12-2004, 23:14
Scratch 2 flat-tops. Muhahaha.
This turn the American carrier fleet found the remnants of the Jpa carrier fleet that had escaped from Truk and sunk 2 carriers and a DD.
Because the Americans were bored they also bombed Guam, killing 2 citizens, damaging units and Palau, damaging 3 units. The airfield on Davao was also bombed, injuring a unit.
The Imperial Japanese empire exists only on paper and because the U.S. Marine corp has to cross 6,000 miles of ocean to beat the **** out of it. [coool]

romeothemonk
09-12-2004, 23:55
Some of the damage done at Palau was by naval artillary. Just thought you should know.

Arghis
10-12-2004, 01:05
damn ! well, good move for you.

That's really sad that i don't manage well my fleet; i'm really not used to those kinds of units ... and i've made many mistakes. Also, "playing in the dark" is really something i've never practiced enough. Well, it's a game.

romeothemonk
10-12-2004, 01:15
Planes on Recon really help, and the fact that we have been targeting your planes and carriers has really hamperered your ability. That and the fact that 3 of us coordinate our fleet and bomber sightings gives us an idea of where to look, and when we find something good. BOOOOOOOM. You are really doing a number on poor china though. I wouldn't complain too much.
Plus I play this scenario on Sid repeatedly just for the naval warfare battles.

Justus II
11-12-2004, 05:21
The Royal Navy conducted a heavy bombardment of Palau, damaging 2 MG Battalions, a Marine regiment and an Infantry unit. RAF bombing succeeded only in accidentally killing some civilians.

Near Puerto Princess, the Jap surface fleet was spotted again, and the RAF hit hard, damaging the BB Kongo, 2 cruisers, and 2 destroyers. The CA Kumano was nearly sunk, but survived. One Fighter/Bomber was lost.

Near Saigon, the DD Yugure was spotted, and the Far East squadron sortied. After damaging it with naval gunfire, it was sunk by the CA Leander, which finally became a veteran! :)

Edit: BTW, I will be out of town tomorrow, and return Sunday evening (military duty). I will try to get my turns caught up Sunday night or Monday morning, if it gets back to me. Thanks!

Dell19
11-12-2004, 11:51
No combat

Rcoutme
11-12-2004, 20:41
No combat either :(

Arghis
12-12-2004, 15:13
Spying

Commonwealth caught a spy

Warfare

US

- Near Palau

DD damaged by bombers & sunk by fighter-bomber

- Near Saipan

SS Bluefish damaged by naval artillery & sunk by zero

- North pacific

SS sunk by DD

Commonwealth

- Kudat

Fighter-bombers damaged by naval artillery & destroyed by bombers
Fighter-bombers damaged by naval artillery & destroyed by bombers
Fighter-bombers damaged by Fighter-bombers

Harbor destroyed by bombers
Barracks destroyed by bombers
Walls destroyed

- Near Saigon

Netherlands

- Dongala

China

- Near Ningsia

Railroads destroyed by bombers

romeothemonk
12-12-2004, 16:07
This turn was not so good for the U.S. We lost 1 bomber, didn't find his fleet, and only were able to bomb cities and units. I bombed Palau, injuring units and destroying the civil defense. I bombed 3 different airfields, hurting Marines, Nip infantry, but not bombers. In cities I hit bombers first, but on airfields I hit them last? This seems odd.
Guam was bombed again. I will find your northern fleet again and send them to the fishes.

Justus II
13-12-2004, 03:47
I'm back, thanks for your patience. The RAF conducted a combined fighter-bomber offensive to finally clear the Borneo Straits, sinking 4 destroyers there, at the cost of one F/B. Palau was shelled by Cruisers again, damaging two defending units. Otherwise, a fairly quiet turn.

Rcoutme
13-12-2004, 16:01
The Dutch scouters around Sangkoelirang took an awful beating from the Japanese patrols but were able to call in precise artillery strikes. The fortifications that the Japanese took over are now destroyed, leaving the city vulnerable for the (hopefully) upcoming British tank invasion! (i.e. we destroyed the walls with artillery)

Arghis
13-12-2004, 22:49
Commonwealth

- Kudat

Inf damaged by naval artillery & killed by SNLF

Kudat captured

- Near Sibu

Inf damaged by artillery
Tanks damaged by artillery x2

Netherlands

- Dongala

Marines damaged by naval artillery

Jap bombers shot down by interceptors

US

SS bonefish damaged by naval artillery & sunk by DD

romeothemonk
16-12-2004, 00:07
Due to the site being down for a couple of days it is important to anyone actually reading this thread that I post my update. The Japanese had their most sucessful turn in my turnset. By that I mean that I lost a bomber and a heavy bomber. [cry] [cry]
In Retaliation, marines stormed Guam killing all 5 defenders at no loss to themselves. There were 3 infantry killed, 1 MG, and 1 flak. In the bombardment process, 1 fighter bomber and 1 other planes was destroyed. (Bomber?) I told Arghis when it happened but I forgot what it was I killed. [???]
More death is expected to follow shortly as the Manhatten project was just completed.

Arghis
16-12-2004, 04:08
US

- Near Guam

DD damaged by bombers & zero & sunk by zero
Transport damaged by fighter-bomber & sunk by bombers

SS Dolphin damaged by naval artillery & sunk by DD

- Near Apari

SS Pompano damaged by naval artillery & zero & sunk by zero

Japanese DD sunk by (damaged) SS :(

China

- Chengdu

Wall destroyed by artillery
MG Bat damaged by artillery x5

Inf killed by (Elite) inf x2
MG bat killed by inf
MG bat killed by tanks x4
Flak killed by elite tanks
Inf killed by tank
Inf killed by inf

Chengdu captured

Jap inf killed by Mg bat

Commonwealth

- Bhuket

Wall destroyed by artillery

Inf killed by army x2

Bhuket captured

- Puerto princess

Transport damaged by bombers
Transport damaged & sunk by bombers

Some citizen killed

Wow; what a mess all this (battles); i can't find your damn carriers. Anyway, with the brilliant UK strike [cry] on Puerto Princess, and your last attack on Guam, i've obviously less and less air and naval power; I'm not very efficient with these two part of the game (which in fact i've rarely played in Civ).

I hope you have all good fun, even Dell, which i'm hammering ...

But you shall see that the japanese empire has not said his last words. Just come a bit nearer to Japan [duelist]

Rcoutme
17-12-2004, 00:16
For any lurkers: The Royal Dutch Marines attacked Sangkoelirang with 7 divisions, losing 3. The day began with fierce artillery and naval bombardments and the end of the battle saw a red dot flying over the city :(

romeothemonk
17-12-2004, 00:49
In the last turn set of the U.S. (turn 17) they found a Jap sub the hard way. We drove the ship over a path scouted by aircraft, but it found a sub anyway. The loaded transport was sunk. The area was again reconned with no sub showing. A cruiser moved to the same spot and was sunk. A 2nd cruiser redlined and then moved over the spot. I thought recon flights saw subs. Do they not?
I was then so torqued off that I sank 2 DD's and a carrier, while severly damaging another carrier and 2 cruisers.
The U.S. is quite miffed. Should the sub have been spotted? Does the U.S. have a legitimite claim to a replay of that turn?

Justus II
17-12-2004, 03:55
No, I don't believe that recon flights spot subs in standard C3C. They can attack subs that have already been spotted, though. I believe in the Typhoon of Steel mod, that was one change added, that ASW aircraft could spot subs.

BTW, I have the turn and will be playing tonight.

Justus II
17-12-2004, 05:46
MI-6, the British intelligence agency, was disappointed to learn our spy had been killed. However, new efforts are underway to infiltrate the Japanese High Command.

The Commonwealth launched a combined amphibious assault on Palau this month. After the bombardment of half a dozen cruisers and 5 fighter-bombers, the lead MG battalions were wounded, and 2 bombers were destroyed on the ground. Then two waves of Marines followed ashore. The defenders, totalling 2 MG battalions, 3 infantry regiments, and 2 flak regiments, were no match for the onslaught. One marine regiment was lost vs. a tough infantry unit, but two others earned Elite status.

After bombardment seemed to reveal Sangko. was down to a lone paratroop defender, the tanks were sent in over the hills. The first tank unit was defeated at the city walls, and more air support was requested to re-supress the defender, but the second tank brigade succeeded in taking the city.

At Kudat, a combination of naval bombardment (x4) and RAF sorties (6) sank the remnants of the Japanese East Indies fleet, a cruiser and 3 transports. No planes were lost, but some citizens were inadvertently killed.

Dell19
17-12-2004, 15:35
quote:I hope you have all good fun, even Dell, which i'm hammering ...

:cry

This turn we destroyed the roads between the capital and Chengdu.

Rcoutme
17-12-2004, 23:40
As it comes down to the wire...the Dutch didn't do too much...

The vp's (for any lurkers) stand at: Japan: 31,100 Allies: 21,980

Arghis
18-12-2004, 02:08
China

- Ningsia

MG Bat damaged by artillery x4
Inf damaged by artillery

Inf killed by tanks x5
Inf killed by inf x4
MG bat killed by army x3

Ningsia captured

- Near Chengdu

Inf damaged by artillery & killed by inf

1 worker captured

- Near Chunking

Tanks damaged by artillery

Commonwealth

- Near Sangkoelirang

POW killed by paratroopers

- Palau

CA damaged by naval artillery

- Sangkoelirang

Jap bomber shot down by interceptors
Zero shot down by interceptors

Tanks killed by marine

Sangkoelirang captured

US

- Near Truk

CA damaged by fighter-bombers
CV damaged by fighter-bombers

romeothemonk
18-12-2004, 03:35
American Technology at work. A pair of screenies for lurkers.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2004121823321_davao b4.jpg
101.46KB
And after

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2004121823445_davao after.jpg
95KB
I lost 2 bombers and 1 Heavy bomber this turn and only damaged a F-B

Justus II
18-12-2004, 06:30
A frantic turn for the Commonwealth, as they sought to take advantage of the American's "Shock and Awe" campaign to hit Japan hard and fast. In a few cases, it was costly.

Davao
Although the Royal Marines were confused by the recent training in something called a 'Radiation Suit', they were grateful when they saw the strange mushroom-shaped cloud rising over Davao, and were ordered to charge ashore. Within the city, 3 dazed Nipponese infantry were dispatched quickly by the Marines, and a Zero was destroyed on the ground. Once ashore, however, they were suprised to see assorted units surrounding the town. A total of 5 more infantry regiments and a flak unit were on the outskirts of the city, also badly wounded by the radiation. A few cruisers opened up to suppress the two that weren't already near death. More marines and some ANZAC infantry were ferried ashore from Palau, and all the survivors were killed, with the loss of one Marine.

Sangkolering
A bomber and F/B sank a transport off the coast, and several waves of F/Bs damaged three marines defending the city.

Manila
Thanks to US intel, tipping us off that Manila was only defended by some unreliable conscripts, the Marines were called upon once again to storm ashore. Due to commitments in other areas, there wasn't time for a thorough preparatory bombardment, and so one Marine was lost, but 4 infantry were killed and the city was taken.

Pnom Penh
With British tanks finally starting to arrive in decent numbers, it was time for another attempt to break out of the Saigon beachhead. After naval bombardment crippled an MG and infantry unit guarding the Elephant preserve, an ANZAC and Medium Tank finished them off, and then a Light tank moved in to tear up the roads.

After numerous aircraft pounded the city itself, shooting down one Zero that attempted to intercept, the Armor Corps attacked, but were repulsed with heavy losses. One Medium and two Light Tanks were destroyed, while 3 Nipponese infantry were also killed. More forces were moved into position for further attacks.

Elsewhere, artillery from Mandalay wounded an infantry in the mountains, and a Royal Navy sub was lost attacking a Jap sub north of Palau.

Arghis
18-12-2004, 15:52
The less i can say is that the result of a nuclear bombing is rather impressive !

@Justus : could tell me about ToS; i've just read the info on the last version (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106893), and it seems a very interesting scenario ?

When we've finished this one, i propose that we play a ToS v3 PBEM. I'd like to play the Japanese, again, so as to better see the differences and try some variation from this first experiment (for me)

Who's going in with me ?

Justus II
18-12-2004, 18:35
Basically, Typhoon of Steel (ToS) is a more realistic version of this same scenario. Some of the key differences:
Destroyers no longer have transport (allows them to get mobilize bonus, less Marine raids)
NO AIRLIFT except for Paratroopers, makes it much harder to get troops to the front (but more realistic)
Japan starts with NO OIL (Or Rubber either, IIRC). Really simulates the pressure they have to attack fast to grab some
Several smaller bases (Wake, Guam, some of the dutch cities) aren't cities, they weren't really that big, so they are replaced by airfields, and in some cases radar towers.
More detailed tech tree, about double the number of techs
Some older ships (Cruisers, IIRC) require Coal and Iron rather than Oil to build
More variety in planes especially (dive bombers, torpedo bombers, Anti-Sub planes). Also new ships, like advanced cruisers, fast battleships, super-battleships, etc.
Turn scale is slower, 2 weeks/turn.
Naval movement rates are adjusted, but coastal tiles take 2 mp each, which slows ships down around the islands.

I'm still playing through my first ToS PBEM (as the Dutch, not that exciting) but it definitely has more of a wargame feel to it, you have to plan further in advance as things take longer to accomplish. (No AP either, BTW). A good game, though, if you prefer realism and are willing to learn a few new details. I'd be glad to play after this one.

Rcoutme
18-12-2004, 23:13
The Royal Dutch Marines finished off the remaining Japanese defenders in Sangkoelirang and liberated their city once and for all. They took only light casualties (one or two hp) after shelling the defenders down to 1 hp each (from artillery and CA's).

One intrepid RDM attacked the city of Kudat and did damage to an elite unit but was wiped out.

Rcoutme
19-12-2004, 03:20
Not that I expect this game to last all that much longer, but I now am using a new email address for pbems. It is Rcoutme at gmail dot com

romeothemonk
19-12-2004, 17:55
I am in for a TOS v3 WW2 Game. Just to note however, I will be gone from the 25-29th of December and then from the 30th to the 5th. I don't expect much to happen over this time frame anyway.
Christmas is Coming. Yay.

romeothemonk
19-12-2004, 17:56
I am in for a TOS v3 WW2 Game. Just to note however, I will be gone from the 25-29th of December and then from the 30th to the 5th. I don't expect much to happen over this time frame anyway.
Christmas is Coming. Yay.

Arghis
19-12-2004, 20:14
Good, so we're three for this one. We'll see with the fourth and fifth when to began playing. Something in mid-january probably ?

@Rcoutme : if you have not receive my last mail, remember that u sent me the wrong save :-) don't forget to resend the turn to me

Dell19
20-12-2004, 01:19
I might be interested since this would replace the current PBEM. Not sure whether I would want to be China again...

Arghis
21-12-2004, 01:07
Ah, at last a serious naval victory. The remnants of the imperial navy have reminded the american, and their pets, that the pacific ocean has been the playground of the emperor and his forefathers.
Also, if you had the hope, while coming to our sacred lands, to rescue China, we inform you that you arrive too late. We strongly suggest that you visit again your counselors.

US

CV Yorktown sunk by sub
CV Saratoga sunk by sub
Transport sunk by sub

Jap sub sunk by Lexington

Fighter intercepted by fighter-bombers

CA damaged by zero

China

- Chunking

MG Bat damaged by artillery x5

Inf killed by inf x5
Tanks killed by inf
MG Bat killed by army x5
Inf killed by army

Jap inf killed by inf
Jap inf killed by flak

Chunking captured

China Defeated

Commonwealth

- Manilla

Marines killed by marines x4
Transport sunk

Manilla captured

- Near Manilla

DD TEnos damaged by bombers

Dell19
21-12-2004, 01:34
Good game :) Entirely different to single player where the AI cannot control Japan properly.

romeothemonk
21-12-2004, 02:59
Dang subs. Dangit.
Anyway the U.S&gt; was really mad and decided to Nuke Manila and Saipan. Nothing else to really note from the U.S. Turn. Subs must die!!!

Justus II
21-12-2004, 06:46
Again following the trail of Mushroom clouds, a marine retook Manila, killing a wounded marine after some destroyer bombardment. Another dazed infantry outside of town was also killed by some reinforcing infantry.

Kudat was the subject of the most intense bombardment the Commonwealth has delivered thus far, being hit by 8 Cruisers and 12 fighter/bombers. All defenders (2 Paratroops, 2 infantry) were redlined. An infantry outside town was redlined, and the radar tower destroyed, by a couple Battleship salvos.

The cowardly Japanese appear to have evacuated Pnom Penh in the face of the might of the ANZACs, leaving a lone conscript battalion behind after tearing up the countryside. An ANZAC killed him to sieze the town. Northeast of town, a light tank on recon killed off an infantry guarding a winery, and some Paratroops were called in to reinforce it.

Our gunners in Mandalay continue to get artillery practice on the infantry in the mountains. ;)

yndy
23-12-2004, 20:26
Why did it all stop? Holidays anyone?

Justus II
23-12-2004, 20:39
Good question! No one mentioned being away...
I just checked, I last sent the save to Rcoutme (since China's gone) on Monday evening, and haven't heard anything since, so he may still have it?

Arghis
23-12-2004, 21:07
yes i have nothing ...

Rcoutme
23-12-2004, 22:21
I resent the April, 1943 save (last one I have). That would be the start of April. If that is the incorrect one, then I did not get the save from Justus.

Rcoutme
24-12-2004, 02:13
Ok, correction: I have June of 1943, but that still has China. Justus, I need you to resend the file. However, I need you to send it to Rcoutme@gmail dot com since hotmail is all messed up.

Justus II
24-12-2004, 02:28
File resent to new address. Let's turn back the Rising Sun!

Rcoutme
24-12-2004, 04:14
The Royal Dutch Marines turned the already-pounded defenders of Kudat into hamburger, one of the marines then went on to wipe out the Nipponese unit next to the city. The artillery in the city was used to pound the paratroopers in the mountains down to 1hp. Conscript troops were then called upon to attack. One division was lost but the second defeated the paratroops.

Victory points after my turn were Japan: 36585; Allies: 24190 with a goal of 50000.

Arghis
26-12-2004, 17:18
A rather quiet turn.

As a sidenote, if the US has the capacity to nuke between 1 & 2 of my towns every turn, ... how can i say, i don't see the point, the interest. I mean, it's a joke. That's pitiful the way those game mechanics are.

That reminds me that i shall test Superpowers 2 ...

Warfare

Commonwealth

- Mandalay

North of Pnom Penh

Para damaged by artillery
Tanks damaged by artillery

Para killed by tanks
Tanks killed by tanks

Moff Jerjerrod
26-12-2004, 18:22
On the contrary,

There is GREAT challenge in trying to win over someone who is using nukes every turn. That makes for a very interesting game.

Arghis
26-12-2004, 20:21
Don't misunderstand me, i've nothing against challenge. Just in this case, i think that the game is becoming "unstable", essentially because of Accelerated production in fact.

Rcoutme
26-12-2004, 20:51
I fully understand your thoughts Arghis, one of the problems with this scenario is that AP 'appears' to favor the allies while no AP definitively favors the Japanese (since the allies start with far fewer units). Somehow, we ended up the the copy of the scenario that is used at CFC for experienced players. Thus the goal is 50k VP's not 40k. Otherwise, this would be a real horserace to the end (which would be very close indeed).

Arghis
27-12-2004, 03:38
@rcoutme : "Somehow, we ended up the the copy of the scenario that is used at CFC for experienced players." I'm not sure to understand what you mean ? The way we're playing it is like one modified on CFC ?

Also, i've never played this scenario before, so i really have few elements to gauge it.

Rcoutme
27-12-2004, 05:57
This is a modified version so that the Japanese can go first.

romeothemonk
29-12-2004, 06:33
I bombed Iwo with conventional weapons. Units were injured, but I have no idea of how much. Massive reshuffling and healing this turn. We hope our allies can do something really useful, because all I can do is scare Arghis with the threat of Nukes.

Justus II
30-12-2004, 06:46
Aparri
We continued the re-conquest of the Phillipines, by landing at Aparri. After 2 F/Bs and a destroyer redlined the defenders, the 2 conscripts were no match for my Elite Marines, and were quickly overcome. Due to a stupid misclick on my part, I left myself out of moves to finish off the remaining conscript on a hill. :(

SW of Hue
Naval bombardment (2BBs, 5-6 CAs) redlined two stacks of 2 conscripts each, and then tanks rolled in to finish them off.

RAF Bombing Campaign
The RAF focused more on strategic bombing this turn, using massive numbers of F/Bs, redlining some railroad guards and then destroying the rails and roads underneath. Rail connections were broken SW of Foochow, N of Hue, and S of Hanoi. A couple attempts to damage the tank army at Hong Kong were unsuccessful, but the Courthouse was destroyed.

Rcoutme
30-12-2004, 22:59
The Dutch had no combats to report this month.

romeothemonk
04-01-2005, 05:29
I captured Saipan, sunk a sub by B-29 in the North Pacific, Nuked Canton and Near Bangkok. I noticed riots lots of places, is the Japanese Empire crumbling??
Remember I already apologized in advance for all the nukes.

Justus II
04-01-2005, 19:11
Tired of the RAF and Royal Navy getting all the credit, the British Army and ANZACs stepped forward this month in a series of offensives in Indochina. Of course, they wouldn’t have succeeded without air and naval support, but at least the main effort was on the ground.

Hue
A powerful naval bombardment (2 BB, 5 CA) redlined all defenders, 4 infantry and 2 flaks. Then the tanks moved in. Although one Medium Tank was lost, all defenders were killed, revealing the tactical genius of General Wingate. He moved into Hue and organized the First Tank Army, which exploited out of Hue to kill off two infantry and take out a Jap radar tower. Another medium tank finished off an infantry outside the city, and General Slim emerged. He retired to the rear for an undisclosed location.

Bangkok
With the defenders already on the verge of exhaustion due to radiation sickness, ANZAC infantry had no problem removing two defenders and taking the city. A Light Tank also took out an annoying holdout infantry on the spices.

F/B’s flew multiple sorties to redline various infantry in the surrounding countryside, including 2 MG battalions at the airfield north of Hue.

Near Aparri
Although we lost one F/B to interceptors, an ANZAC finished off the remaining defender on the hill, clearing the Phillipines officially of the invaders.

Rcoutme
05-01-2005, 01:00
The Dutch are...ummm...redeploying...yeah ...that's it, that's the ticket! We're currently redeploying for a massive assault on Tokyo!

Arghis
05-01-2005, 15:14
This report is from turn just before Canton nuking (while CDZ was down) and for all those lurking here.

Commonwealth

Near Hue

Para damaged by artillery & killed by inf
M. Tank damaged by artillery & killed by inf
L. tank damaged by artillery & kamikaze & killed by inf

Inf killed by para x4
Inf killed by M. tanks

CA Leander damaged by kamikaze

Near Apari

DD damaged by kamikaze & bombers

Bombers shot down by AA

------------------------

[nuke] This game is a complete non-sense. [aargh] I'm loosing my time. [mad] I WILL NEVER NEVER AGAIN play a game with AP ON ! :(

And remember, that i made mistake is something that i fully agree and accept. I've been playing all kind of (war) games since the last 24 years. But here, excuse me, i don't see what i can do against such a rain of nukes ... [wallbash]

@Justus II : you had 2 leaders this turn ? Wow [goggle]. At least this is something that i have a (slight) possibility to circumvent.

romeothemonk
05-01-2005, 19:40
My rain of Nukes will be slowing as I swap over to more marines. I cannot nuke more than 2 times per turn. There will be more nukes coming for quite some time though. I am looking forward to ToS, as that should be more fun, and/or balanced.
I would consider it a Japanese victory if they make it to 45,000 Vp's. I thought we were only playing to 40,000.

Arghis
09-01-2005, 14:42
Warfare

Commonwealth

Near Manilla

DD Tenedos damaged by bombers

US

Near Saipan

DD damaged by fighter-bombers & sunk by DD

@romeo : "I cannot nuke more than 2 times per turn. " Aah, but that is good news ... [drunk]

[alien] here's a glimpse of the new japanese camo style ! lol ! Better laughing of it.

romeothemonk
09-01-2005, 17:05
Combat was limited this turn.
Iwo Jima received my two nukes this turn and was captured.
The U.S. Navy is now playing it safe and spotted some ships. The Marine Air Corps was called in and a destroyer and Sub are now resting on the bottom of the ocean.:D
Now a break in the action for a song.
Where oh where are my little nukes going? [confused]
Where oh where can they be? [confused]
I have lost my nukes, now I cry in my soup.
Oh where oh where can they be? [blush]

Thank you all. I will not try to sing again for awhile.

Justus II
10-01-2005, 06:41
An active turn for the Commonwealth. [cool] Rather than slog along the guarded railways, we tried some leapfrog landings to grab key points.

First, our F/B sweeps in to take out the radar tower in northern Indochina.

Hanoi
2 Cruisers are sufficient to redline the 2 conscripts, then 2 Marines move in for the kill, taking the city.

Rubber Fort
At the stack fortified on the rubber, I used 6-7 F/Bs and 3 artillery to soften the defenders, then a Para took out an MG, two paras take out 2 infantry, a Light Tank takes an infantry, and the Lt Tank Army kills the last one.

Medium Tank Army kills an infantry and an MG bn near an abandoned airfield SW of Hanoi, waves of FB redline the remaining conscripts along the rail lines.

Hong KongThe main surface fleet pounds the city, taking out a Coastal Fortress and redlining the two infantry defenders, then a pair of Marines land to take the city. More units are landed to beef up the garrison.

FormosaThe Commonwealth's first use of Carrier aircraft meets with mixed success, destroying a Bomber on the ground, but losing one F/B. After land-based planes completed the bombardment, a wave of Elite marines killed two MG and a Flak to take the city.

A sub spotted E of Aparri was hit by two F/Bs, then sunk by a Destroyer.

VP total is now 33,415 for Allies, 37,650 for Japan.

yndy
10-01-2005, 08:07
Go for the 40k Arghis ! Give us the last man stand that Japan did in RL !

akots
10-01-2005, 08:11
Well, unfortunately it is 50K VP scenario.

Arghis
10-01-2005, 14:41
be sure that i've not said my last words in this (unbalanced) game :-)

yndy
10-01-2005, 22:03
I know but 40K is still some achievement.

Rcoutme
11-01-2005, 03:16
For lukers: Japan--37650; Allies--34190

The Royal Dutch Marines made an amphibious landing at Bhuket. The three defenders in the city were wiped out with two Dutch Marine divisions taking heavy casualties (down 3 and 2 hp). One of the follow-on divisions wiped out the Nipponese defenders on the hills just south of the city.[duelist]

Arghis
11-01-2005, 16:14
Warfare

US

- Iwo Jima

HB damaged by FB x2

Commonwealth

- Hanoi

Marines damaged by artillery & killed by tanks
Para damaged by artillery & killed by tanks

Hanoi captured (with the help of General Tsuji !)

- Near Kiunchow

Para damaged by artillery & killed by inf.

1 jap. Tanks killed by para

- Near Honk Kong

Inf damaged by artillery & killed by inf.

1 jap inf killed by inf

[B)]

romeothemonk
11-01-2005, 17:36
This turn was very good for the Americans.
First off the VP totals to the couple of lurkers.
Japan 38630
Allies 36720
How could the U.S. snag so Many VP's in one turn you may ask.
The U.S. marines are the world's best, and some "codebreakers" (spying action). First I saw that a size 18 city, (Nagasaki) was undefended. My marines went ashore, and looted the place, destroying everything of value, but leaving the city still standing. Our codebreakers activity on the mainland spotted a dangerous situation.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2005111163127_tokyo.jpg
104.48KB

We only had one option, which was to call in the Enola Gay. A Marine ready to go on a transport could disrupt my entire invasion timetable. Arghis shouldn't gnash his teeth too much, I only nuked once.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2005111163431_tokyo 2.jpg
97.89KB
I also sunk a sub trying to cut itself in on my resupply efforts near Saipan.
Good luck now, big guy. [python]
Also intelligence on other portions of the Jap empire has been forwarded to my allies.

Arghis
11-01-2005, 21:21
"Arghis shouldn't gnash his teeth too much, I only nuked once". You began seriously boring me with your strange, non understandable and rather petty form of humor ...

romeothemonk
11-01-2005, 21:42
I apologize if my humor is offensive.
It is a brand of Northern Plains humor that even infuriates other Americans. (BTW I am not a GWB supporter, I just picked the Avatar as it seems to annoy many others.)
I live in pretty much an arid(6monthes)/arctic(4monthes) wasteland, read a lot, and try to make jokes out of many things. My references are very obscure for the most part, and some material torques others too much.
I saw that you were getting annoyed with the constant nukings. Using an American football trick of pissing off the other side by getting into their head so they don't think straight, I am focussing efforts in that direction. If this is not in the spirit of fair play, I will go to a much more dry form of battle reports.
The sub was sunk with heavy bombers.
The gnashing teeth comment was to note that you shouldn't become too angry, I only nuked you once.
Humor is by nature petty, that is what makes it funny.

Arghis
11-01-2005, 22:41
The problem is not that you play fair or not (by the way, it's rather interesting playing against you); the problem is that it is not playable !!! how do you want me defending something when you nuke --&gt; everything &lt;-- on your path.

Also, i'm too very fond of humor, the more when it is subtle, but here i can't see, even when looking at my own mistakes, nothing to laught at. I'm paying a serious time to planning this or that tactic with a pitiful tool, for what, ... boom ! boom !

And about your avatar, frankly, you know, yes it's annoying, and rather somewhat displaced here, but at the end, that is your image who suffer the most, not the image of others.

Well, let's finish this game.

Justus II
12-01-2005, 05:00
Vowing revenge for the loss of Hanoi after the hard-fought battle, the Commonwealth was determined to expand our perimeter.

First, to shape the battlefield, naval bombardment took out the radar tower near Hong Kong, and air wings hit the one W of Hanoi.

Kiungchow
After a pounding barrage of naval gunfire redlined the 3 infantry defenders, a transport-load of Marines stormed ashore. The first two killed their foes, then the third, AND fourth, marines died trying to root out the final stubborn defender. More bombardment redlined him again, and another wave of marines finished him.

Hanoi
Time for the RAF to get in the act. After several misses, destroying the market and killing off two citizens, they finally redlined the infantry and tank. This time, two marines was enough, and the city was retaken without loss. An ANZAC killed a conscript outside of town.

Tanks and artillery flowed into the town, and began pounding the Japanese forces on the hills to the NW. Once they were cowering in their fortifications, the tanks rolled. The first two medium tanks killed infantry, but the third was destroyed by a defending light tank. Now, it was time for the Armies to move, and after my Light Tank Army destroyed another infantry, our Medium Tank Army moved in and killed the light tank. 5 more regiments of artillery were captured, and immediately turned on a nearby tank, named The First Light Tank. :) Three POWs were also captured. Several road connections were also bombarded.

The result of all of these attacks was a definite shift in momentum, as for the first time, the Allies have the VP lead, 38,865 to 38,815. :D

Rcoutme
12-01-2005, 08:06
The Royal Dutch Marines have bested their best. They assaulted the city of Rangoon and took it without significant casualties (one Reg. Marine lost 2 hp, the other was promoted to Veteran). The battle started with fierce naval bombardment by the DeRuyter and Java, then the DD Van Gogh added in its firepower...this redlined the defenders in the city and the conscript on the hills. The Royal Dutch Marines did the rest.

VP: Japan--still 38815 Allies--39580

As for the scenario being unbalanced in favor of the allies...I will play this exact same scenario as the Japanese and kick your #$$. So...if you want to forego the TOS scenario...I would love to show you what the Japanese can do in this scenario.

Arghis
13-01-2005, 17:22
US

- Near Nagasaki

DD damaged by kamikaze & sunk by Sub

Nagasaki

Bomb damaged by naval artillery & destroyed by F-B
By the way, how this a-bomb has came here without exploding is to me a complete mystery ... [scratch]

- Iwo jima

Barracks destroyed
Fighter damaged by F-B

Commonwealth

- Near Truk

Sub sunk by DD

---------

@Rcoutme : if you want to initiate a scenario where you'll be playing the japs, i can be interested. When we're finish with this one, and before me launching another one, i'll test TOS before playing a game as the Jap, because it's better having a bit more experience when playing against apparently experienced players.

romeothemonk
13-01-2005, 18:09
The important news. Japan blew up my nuke on the ground. I rebased him to Nagasaki, and he got whacked. [cry]
So Arghis did not get nuked this turn. [eek]
Instead the U.S. spotted 3 subs and sank all of them with combined naval aircraft and artillary. They were all on the Saipan supply line.
The looting of Nagasaki continued. If Arghis retakes it, he will get a city with an aquaduct and a hospital, and those only because I can't sell them off. [fdevil]
This is my first attempt at the WW2 PBEM.
And for lurkers the important stuff.
VP
Allies 40,435
Japan 39135
And I attached a power graph. You can guess where nukes came in. [invasion]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/200511317921_power.jpg
59.55KB

Justus II
16-01-2005, 06:44
After recon flights [coool] revealed a number of cities had been left undefended by the retreating Japanese, the Commonwealth high command vowed to strike as far and as fast as they could to take advantage of the situation.

Kumi
The island appeared abandoned, except for a Kamakazi plane mysteriously hovering on the hill next to the city. After 2 F/Bs and a destroyer weakened the plane, Marines stormed ashore to destroy it on the ground. Another marine moved into the empty city.

Okinawa
Another abandoned base, a marine landed to secure the city.

Foochow
After a F/B redlined the lone defender, a marine moved in to kill the conscript and take the city.

Canton
Intel sources confirmed that there was only one defender. Two F/Bs flew strikes before the conscript was redlined, then a Medium Tank moved in to take the city.

SW of Nanning
The Japs had a heavily fortified strong point here. After a devastating artillery barrage (mostly captured Jap and Chinese arty), and a few bomber sorties, the defenders were all weakened. The Medium Tank army then killed the MG battalion, infantry, and Flak, to take the fortifications and capture two more arty. They were used to weaken a nearby infantry. This also cleared the way for an audacious strike…

One of our own redlined light tanks was pressed into emergency service, capturing a worker SW of Kunming. This removed the final obstacle for our Light Tank army to cross the hills, over the grassland, and roll unopposed into Kunming!

Further bombing also destroyed the marketplace at Nanking, and weakened a few infantry outposts.

VP Total is now 44,440 (Allied) to 39,135 (Japan).

yndy
16-01-2005, 10:21
Seems like we'll only have two more turns. But where is the Japanese last desperate counter-attack? You know Arghis, it's better to die fighting than to suffer defeat.

Rcoutme
16-01-2005, 14:18
The Royal Dutch Air Force bombed some cities (which were undefended) and some Nipponese Infantry on a mountain. No other actions to report.

Arghis
16-01-2005, 17:00
US

Nagasaki

Marines damaged by naval artillery & F-B
Marines killed by marines

Nagasaki captured

Commonwealth

Kunming

Jap tanks killed by army
Army killed by tanks

Kunming captured

romeothemonk
17-01-2005, 01:30
Not much combat to report. Nagasaki was nuked, Osaka was nuked. I bombed Akita, killing citizens, blowing up infra and maybe killing the F/B that was guarding it.
I sunk a sub by nagasaki with heavy bombers.
I used a marine to kill a marine at Nagasaki.

Justus II
17-01-2005, 05:42
My early round of recon flights revealed some undefended towns again, so I took them first!

Nanning was adjacent to my forces, so an ANZAC walked in and took it.
Saishu was an empty island, one marine landed to secure it.
S of Mytyinki, I lost 2 ANZAC to kill one stubborn infantry on a mountain, but I couldn't reach the empty town.
S. of Chunking, Arty and and ANZAC killed an infantry in a fortification, then the Med. Tank army moved in and killed an MG to take the city.
Chengdu a Med. Tank killed the infantry after air bombardment, and after an infantry destroyed the radar tower.
Nagasaki was easily retaken, as a Marine killed the flak, after F/Bs sank a submarine in port.

A quick check of the score showed the Allies with 49,355! One more city could win the war! But most of the remaining cities in China were inland. But I saw one chance, at Pusan. Intel revealed one transport and one flak, should be easy for one of my Elite marines. A carrier moved in closer to soften it up, but the F/Bs just sank the transport. So the Marine was sent in on a fast destroyer. BUT... The defenders of Pusan were determined, and the Flak killed my Marine. Japan lives to fight another day (but only one more day...)

Rcoutme
17-01-2005, 13:36
The stupid British navy blocked any effective amphib assaults by the undefeated RDM's, so Japan will still get to take its turn.

Black_Waltz
17-01-2005, 15:52
I apologise if you are not allowed to comment in here. Must say I found the first turns of this scenario quite intresting to read. But it seems that nukes do take the fun out of it. I definitly will think of banning nukes if I ever play this scenario. Bad luck Arghis.

Arghis
17-01-2005, 15:56
50105 / 42125

It's finished.

Arghis
17-01-2005, 15:59

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2005117145858_finish.jpg
11.54KB

That's sad, i was finishing my first A-bomb ;)

Arghis
17-01-2005, 17:21
As a sidenote, i'd like i have been more experienced to play this game, which was very interesting, unless for AP :-)

akots
17-01-2005, 23:14
AP kills everything, that's for sure. But man, you fought alone bravely against 4 top-notch players who were coordinating their efforts and may be missed some possiblities but surely earned major kudos from lurkers. [goodjob]

Justus II
17-01-2005, 23:40
I certainly want to commend Arghis for a very tough game. I agree AP is too overpowering for the Allies in this one, it basically cuts Japan's initial advantage (having more troops/ships/etc at start) in half, making it much easier for the Allies to catch up. Also, the reduced tech rates due to AP meant I was researching whatever I wanted in 4 turns, with cash to spare, and since I could coordinate what to research with the US, we could exhaust the tree quickly. In fact, I would have nukes next turn as well, and that was researching on my own (since those techs aren't tradeable), and taking a 4-5 turn break to pour cash into investigating cities.

This game did teach me the value of the Intel Agency, especially against a human foe, as I could see which towns had been stuffed with conscripts, and which had minimal defenses, and target my Marine strikes where I had the best chance of success.

Thanks again to my partners, especially poor Dell19, who had to bear the brunt of Japan's assaults, but bought us the time to get our industry up and forces flowing into the area. Overall, it was a good challenge early, but I agree, once the nukes rain in, it's only a matter of time. But, that's part of the scenario, I think without AP it would have taken much longer, and would have prolonged the challenging portion of the game.

I won't be joining any rematch, unfortunately, I have recently started a new job and will be out of town for 3 weeks (starting next week), and my schedule will be pretty tight even after that, so I am trying not to start any new PBEMs. Good luck, though, if you do start another one.

yndy
18-01-2005, 11:10
Great game all and I can also say the end was abrupt, I’d still say that this scenario seems to be very enjoyable to play in PBEM, I’d be following other games too.

romeothemonk
18-01-2005, 23:04
Great game all. Arghis with his subs was confounding me the last 10 turns.
I took the liberty of reading the Jap spoiler thread (Edit: only after the game was over). That is an impressive spoiler.[thumbsup]
You should check out the allied spoiler.
I would like to know where your fleet was hiding. It really exapserated me to not find your last 3 carriers. :(
The allies were really well balanced, as modern sea warfare is my best area, while plotting is rcoutme's strength, and Justus proved extremely capable with delicate maneuvering of large forces. Dell delayed your advance long enough to buy us some time.
Maybe I should play a 1v1 with Arghis and go for nukes again. [smirk]
This is offtopic but does anyone here have the graphic skills to replace my GWB avatar with a William Jennings Bryan for president avatar of some type.

Pastorius
18-01-2005, 23:27
Congrats guys. Good fun to see how you struggled against the Empire.

Wonder if we ll ever witness The Empire Striking Back [luke2], but I do hope so

grahamiam
18-01-2005, 23:31
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk
This is offtopic but does anyone here have the graphic skills to replace my GWB avatar with a William Jennings Bryan for president avatar of some type.

no graphic skills, but work boredom and google can do wonders ;) this is thier presidential button from 1900.
all i did was google "William Jennings Bryan for president campaign buttons". you may have better luck.

btw: nice game all, great read :)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/grahamiam/2005118222316_bryan-stevenson.gif
5.52*KB

Arghis
19-01-2005, 12:34
hi all

i won't be able to began another game (of this kind) until mid february.

@Romeo : my fleet at the end was east of japan, preying on a potential move north fro myour main fleet, or a secondary task from you. Before, it was east of Saipan, not far from where my subs sank some of your CV.
Of course, it was also sheltering in the vast emptiness of Pacific.

It was a big mistake of mine researching Divine Winds (Kamikaze) instead of Naval tactics. I was expecting having a good Kamikaze potential to ruin out your advance. Not being able to board Kamikaze on CV is a pain ... the more when they have a range of 4.

Hunting your CV with my subs was fun; because of one MP, i miss one good combined attack against your fleet; the next turn, u sank them ...

romeothemonk
20-01-2005, 18:55
This may also seem stupid, but now that I have an avatar, (Thanks Grahamiam) how do I get it to appear as my avatar?
I'm just a Chemical engineer with some physics training, to me computers are for email and civ.

Justus II
21-01-2005, 06:35
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

This may also seem stupid, but now that I have an avatar, (Thanks Grahamiam) how do I get it to appear as my avatar?
I'm just a Chemical engineer with some physics training, to me computers are for email and civ.

If you figure out how to change Avatars, let me know, maybe I'll pick up the G.W. Bush one! (I am a Bush supporter, actually, but not at the "Ranger" level, that required raising $100,000 for his first campaign, IIRC, well out of my financial range).

Rcoutme
22-01-2005, 16:26
Well Arghis, let me know when you want to play this scenario and get humiliated as one of the allies. I will take the Japs every time... their initial advantage is actually too powerful, if done correctly! ;)

Arghis
25-01-2005, 11:59
hi

we'll see see after tthe 10 th of february. before, i've no time. see you later.