PDA

View Full Version : Fab4 open thread

grs
28-10-2004, 19:31
Please post the latest saves you sent here. One post per player like in the swimming pool topic should be enough.

3550BC sent to Banzai.

Matrix: didn't know about yours. What does the upload function do? Mail it?

Edit: ok...just tried it, nice!

Banzai
28-10-2004, 19:50
[charge]
Turn 10 sent to Matrix using the Turn Tracker.

Banzai!

Matrix
31-10-2004, 14:29
I just got an e-mail from grs that I've held the savegame for three days. I had no idea! [crazyeye] I'm now at Stapel's, but will play it as soon as I'm home. Though I probably can also play it if Banzai resends it.

grs
20-11-2004, 15:44
You have only sent a textfile to romeo. That was the problem.

Banzai
20-11-2004, 16:49
Turn 30 sent to Matrix with the turntracker.

Banzai

Matrix
21-11-2004, 02:39
Played and sent. Sorry for the delay. [blush]

But indeed, I played it already, just didn't send the savegame to romeothemonk...or it didn't arrive, or whatever.

Matrix
23-11-2004, 11:44
Guys, we're at a punishing pace! (which is good)
Yesterday I received three savegames!! [dance]

Matrix
30-11-2004, 21:42
Hm, the game seemed to have stopped. I'll resend the save. Or is there something else?

Banzai
30-11-2004, 23:46
It worked! The save it back with you now Matrix :)

romeothemonk
01-12-2004, 21:50
Subscribe

Banzai
09-12-2004, 21:03
Are you having problems with the save Matrix?

Matrix
10-12-2004, 01:13
I just (=22:34) received it, played it and sent it.

Edit: Sorry, that's Tiny Chaos III. I'll check on Fab Four right away...

Edit2: No troubles. I forgot to play it. My fault. Just sent it.

Edit3: This is not like me. Usually [b]I am the only going after people who need to play the save (like DDPP). And I can't blame it to the fact I'm a little tipsy right now, because I'm not tipsy for two days in a row. I'm confused. [crazyeye] I should be more organised. At least here.

Banzai
06-02-2005, 00:33
Whohohoho!! Turn 100! [party]
Awesome pace guys :D I hope we can keep this up!

[charge]
Banzai!

romeothemonk
07-02-2005, 19:09
I am impressed with this game. I am agricultural, spamming out cities like nuts, and am not even in the top two in score.
Did Banzai pop a few settlers? Get a 4 cow start? [???]

That being said, I am now in my Golden age. [hammer]
I love Emporer A.I.'s Always attack when I am not ready, but can never bring the thunder enough to really do you in.
Expect more trouble. [medic]

Banzai
07-02-2005, 19:31
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

I am impressed with this game. I am agricultural, spamming out cities like nuts, and am not even in the top two in score.
Did Banzai pop a few settlers? Get a 4 cow start? [???]

hehehe
Nope and nope.
But I do have some kind of weird wonder in my possession..

Good luck fighting the AI! [hammer]
I noticed a few turns ago that your capital was size 5 and not growing, so I expect that you are enjoying your golden age in some kind of advanced government..

[charge]
Banzai!

grs
07-02-2005, 19:34
quote:I am impressed with this game. I am agricultural, spamming out cities like nuts, and am not even in the top two in score. And I was so close to overtake you in score as a non-agricultural civ :)

romeothemonk
07-02-2005, 22:25
Yes I am enjoying my GA as a non-despotic government. Actually after playing the last turn (103) I am not in the top 4 in score!!
As a side note I am not getting email updates on posting, even though it is supposedly enabled.

grs
07-02-2005, 23:18
Email updates do not work / have not been enabled since the site move. You can use the "Active Topics" link at the top. Even I got used to it :)

romeothemonk
08-02-2005, 21:29
After looking at the game last night, I see that the great wall containing city of Sparta decided to change allegiance.
That may explain some of grs's points. I might even guess that legions were involved [hmm]
I take it that you guys are crippiling the A.I. I would like to ask if there is a preferred method of victory. Are all victory types enabled? Can I win a cultural victory? I like smiley faces.[invasion]
Are SGL's turned on?
All of these details are excaping my memory.

Dell19
08-02-2005, 23:44
Hi as a quick question does the turn tracker also email the game to the other person?

grs
09-02-2005, 00:15
@Dell19: Matrix can swith the Email. As I read on CFC romeo is out for a week. Taking an enducated guess reading your post, you are his replacement?

All details about the game are here http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2082 and there http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2068. More is only known to KR.

Dell19
09-02-2005, 01:02
Sorry for the confusion, saw turn tracker in the title and just wanted to check whether it did actually send the save. Beam will have gotten two copies of the latest save in another PBEM which we have just started using the turn tracker for.

romeothemonk
10-02-2005, 19:24
I do not have a replacement lined up. My style of Play is rather Unique, and Justus 2 and grahamiam are the only ones that might have an idea of how I play. They are both Mucho busy. I will be at home for like 12 hours, and can get a turn in.
If you really want me to round up a replacement I can, but I would prefer not to.

grs
10-02-2005, 19:58
I don't think we should replace you if you do not want, it was just a guess.

romeothemonk
12-02-2005, 17:30
Breaking News. The Byzantines decided to exterminate themselves.
I am glad to announce that Byzantines have gone the way of the buffalo.
I beat grs to exterminating the first civ. [evil] Much celebrating is in order. [invasion]

grs
12-02-2005, 19:08
Well...I wanted my pet-AI-civ to complete some wonders for me first ;)

Banzai
12-02-2005, 19:26
Yeah.. me too.. but I am bored playing with them, so who knows... :D

Matrix
12-02-2005, 20:19
Stop showing off!

http://griefgroup.home.att.net/s-sulk.gif

Banzai
13-02-2005, 00:57
Nice smiley Matrix! :D

The Inca joined the Byzantines in the afterlife...
[charge]

grs
15-02-2005, 03:14
Just a note from Romeo he wrote in a CFC SG I play with him.

quote:A note: I will be out of town from Feb 14 to Feb 21. I have to give a presentation at TMS conference in San Fran, then go to Grand Forks for Regional College Bowl Competition.

Matrix
15-02-2005, 15:13
Ok, good. My computer is busy getting an upgrade. [tongue]

(I'm replacing my power supply and CPU fan with a silent one, but installing it is kinda tricky...)

Banzai
16-02-2005, 18:41
According to the turn tracker the save is with Matrix... or is it already send to Romeo and waiting for his return?

grs
20-02-2005, 21:25
Matrix are you (and you PC) ready to resume the game?

grs
12-03-2005, 16:26
I have some appointments from today till Tuesday next week, so I may find it hard to play my turns till then. I will try to have a look in my mailbox from time to time, but I can't guarantee anything.

Banzai
12-03-2005, 17:10
Ok!
Good luck.

romeothemonk
14-03-2005, 18:47
I will be out of town this weekend at a soccer tournament. There will need to be some [medic] action going on there. I love American indoor soccer, it is almost violent enough to be a real sport.

Matrix
15-03-2005, 00:12
So now it's not women's soccer, but indoor soccer?

You Americans just don't get it, do you... [rolleyes]

romeothemonk
15-03-2005, 22:05
Are you insinuating something of my gender Matrix?? Or are you just ripping America because of it's women's soccer.
Since the weather we have in America is just plain horrible where I am at, Indoor soccer is a must. It is also more violent, as there is no penalty/foul for running through a body screen like in the Euro Leagues. It really helps a guy like me compete, as I can shoot the ball around/through the opposition, go after it, and if some pansy defender gets in the way, I can just run him over. It is really hard to get real teams together to play full teams, and indoor is a good substitute and lets me compete, as I am too bulky to run for 90 straight minutes, but I have no problem with 40 straight minutes of play. Sometime if you ever come to South Dakota, We will have to play some soccer, or some real football (Which is my sport).

Pastorius
15-03-2005, 22:32
Thing is, it is not soccer - IT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

[rant][aargh][nya]

Damned american arrogance. American football my ass!

Matrix
16-03-2005, 00:39
Norwegian: "fotball" = English: "football" = American: "soccer" = Dutch: "voetbal"

Romeothemonk, you take my post far too seriously! [lol] It's just that the whole world loves outdoor soccer, except the USA. But then women's soccer became populair there; something sexists in Europe find laughable. And now that you started about indoor soccer it just came to me as if you, American, were off target again. [tongue]
Please don't take it too seriously.

digger760
16-03-2005, 09:25
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Thing is, it is not soccer - IT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

[rant][aargh][nya]

Damned american arrogance. American football my ass!

No...Soccer is Soccer, Gridiron is Gridiron and.........

Australian Rules is FOOTBALL!!!!!!!! and far more exciting to watch.

romeothemonk
16-03-2005, 20:18
I have to agree with Digger, Australian rules is very exciting. If there were enough people with Balls to play it in Rapid City I sure would play.
I am not taking it too seriously Matrix, I just was defending my honor, or some such tomfoolery.
And about the Damned American Arrogance, I play lots of different sports, but I am betting that Paalikeles would fold quickly if put on the line. Maybe I should challenge him to Calvinball, as that might be closer to his speed. :)

grs
29-03-2005, 16:21
Oh Romeo, where art though?

romeothemonk
29-03-2005, 20:45
Am I sitting on the Save?? I thought I passed it on. My bad, will remedy shortly.
I actually was gone for about 4 days to even more of the middle of nowhere.
In my personal experience, everyone that lives in a city should come out and see why the American West generates so much "fairy tale" lore. You really had to be tough to make it going through this stuff. I was in a car and the trip really sucked. Nothing but prarie grass, rolling "badland" hills, and 40 mile per hour wind for 200 straight miles. There was only 4 sources of water for whole trip too, and this was a "nicer" trip.

romeothemonk
29-03-2005, 23:00
Save is passed on now. Many apologies.

grs
29-03-2005, 23:35
No need to apologize, just wanted to reming you after the easter days. It is already turning around towards you again :)

grs
04-04-2005, 10:43
[bump] Lost in Straland [bump]

Matrix
04-04-2005, 14:26
Whoops! Playing now...

Matrix
04-04-2005, 14:32
It costed four knights and an archer just to kill one Dutch knight. [cry]

Banzai
04-04-2005, 14:36
Ouch!!! was it fortified on a mountain?

Matrix
04-04-2005, 15:13
No, flat land, no river, no catapults, no fortress...

grs
20-04-2005, 15:16
Since I can't do it very well in RPG style, I don't even try.

In 480AD the Romans have declared war on the backward, horseless Celts and landed troops next to their core.
[hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer][hammer]

Banzai
20-04-2005, 18:48
You too grs?? What a coincidence! ;)

In 480AD the Iroquois have declared war on the backward, horseless Celts and landed troops next to their core.

[estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing][estwing]

barbu1977
20-04-2005, 19:08
The Roman's hammer looks mutch more destructive than the Iroquoi's

romeothemonk
20-04-2005, 19:37
This could be bad. :( Oh well. Play the hand given to me.
Nice tag team y'all. (Insert witty comment about their sexual preferences and their ancestors) [ponder]
They forget that I have horsie analogs.
And I have Armies!![invasion]
Woot, Woot. This could get fun.

Pastorius
20-04-2005, 19:43
They forgot that all your troops are nekkid [scared2][ponder][:o]

grs
20-04-2005, 20:09
quote:And I have Armies!!Oh, you too? Guess what is in mine :D.

romeothemonk
20-04-2005, 21:43
Yeah after viewing the save, my goose could be cooked. There appears to be a high level of coordination with the other islanders, and all my troops are busy chasing down evil dutchmen.
My survival plans involve getting GRS to fight Banzai. Other than that, or the lucky musket beating 16 cavs, I may be in trouble.
BTW, I do not get the reference on Banzai's muskets name.
On the plus side this could be wrapped up before my wedding in 3 weeks. I will think of it as a nice consolation prize. :D[coool][mischief]

akots
20-04-2005, 21:57
Romeo... wedding... this does not sound right ... the monk ... either. Me wants to know more. Me curious. Sounds like a very poetic stuff going on there...

romeothemonk
20-04-2005, 22:50
A minor history lesson then.
1) I took the romeothemonk moniker as a tribute to one of my catholic buddies from high school that went into the military. He was not a monk either, but we were forced to read Romeo and Juliet aloud in class. Romeo decides to become a monk at one point and a pithy comment later the phrase stuck.
2) I am protestant, and thus believe in marriage for church leaders, but I also see and can strongly advocate for celibate church leaders. However, I am an engineer by trade, and am a rather young buck to consider church leaderership. (Evangelical Free Church of America)
3) I have met a gal that I love deeply, she loves me as well. She is as all my buddies put it, out of my league, but neither of us have noticed any problems. She is 5'9" blonde, ~115-120 lbs, 21 years old and looks like a model. Me, 5'11", 213 lbs, built like a brick building and 24 years old.
4) I have noticed that if you behave gentlemanly to women, lack a beer belly, smell decent, and ignore other women, that there are very few women alive that can resist that.
5) If you don't try/ask/beg for sex, you can develop a really strong relationship. The Rolling in the Hay starts after the wedding, and both of us are eagerly awaiting that development now. (Probably too much info, but this is CDZ, not CFC)
6) She was homeschooled in a really weird variant of perverted christianity (mass kids good, beatings ok, physical violence is ok to establish a pecking order and matirachal). By me showing a little initiative, and some loving patience along the way, and a really big assist from THE MAN upstairs, we have left that form of religion behind and are enjoying a nice relationship.
7) We are getting married on Friday, May 13. She also lives on Elm Street.
I could prattle on senselessly, but it wouldn't help you all understand a whole bunch.
From my religious studies, the religion that a large group of people in Rapid City follows is part native American, part Mormon, Part Luthern, Part Scientologist. Rapid City is one messed up place.

Matrix
20-04-2005, 22:54
quote:Originally posted by grs

In 480AD the Romans have declared war on the backward, horseless Celts and landed troops next to their core.
quote:Originally posted by Banzai

In 480AD the Iroquois have declared war on the backward, horseless Celts and landed troops next to their core.
They're gonna fight each other to get Entremont! :D

romeothemonk
20-04-2005, 23:06
Banzai is outside Entremont, and GRS is outside of the town underneath it.
The fools, I will have horses shortly, as soon as the dang borders expand.

Matrix
20-04-2005, 23:09
Oh, hey, that's quite some news you have there, romeo. [yeah]

Well, since you're being so openly I might give you something to think about. Something I've heard that only works for people not having sex before getting married:

If you put a bean in a jar for every time you've had sex, until your first year celebration, and from then take one out for every time, the jar will never become empty. http://www.get2dom.com/notes/furniture/smileys/think.gif

grs
20-04-2005, 23:31
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Well, since you're being so openly I might give you something to think about. Something I've heard that only works for people not having sex before getting married:

If you put a bean in a jar for every time you've had sex, until your first year celebration, and from then take one out for every time, the jar will never become empty. http://www.get2dom.com/notes/furniture/smileys/think.gif
[rotfl][rotfl][rotfl]

romeothemonk
20-04-2005, 23:35

With my appetite, I would eat the beans rather than put them in a jar. I enjoy beans, they are tasty. [fdevil] (Not really flaming from the correct oriface, but C'est la vie).
It may or may not be correct, how about I let you know in a couple of years, if I am still associated with y'all. Who knows, I might become [whipped]

Pastorius
20-04-2005, 23:46
quote:4) I have noticed that if you behave gentlemanly to women, lack a beer belly, smell decent, and ignore other women, that there are very few women alive that can resist that.

Damn right [thumbsup]

Congrats man. Quite early to get into the whole marriage if I might add (I am only a year younger than you btw)

akots
21-04-2005, 00:13
Seems like a great thing there! Congrats! Timing is great and bride looks great at least as you describe! [thumbsup]

grahamiam
21-04-2005, 02:40
congrat's romeo!

romeothemonk
21-04-2005, 02:42
Here is a photo for y'all. This is from a year ago at the engagement. I am about 10-15 lbs light in this photo as lifting heavy objects and putting them down again is a hobby of mine. I have been getting much better at it as time progresses.
(No jokes from the Europeans about using chemistry to make me bigger)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/200542124234_CDZ-rtm.jpg
47.61KB

akots
21-04-2005, 03:21
That is so sweet, man! [cry]

romeothemonk
21-04-2005, 04:56
Why the crying akots? You can whup my butt at Civ.

akots
21-04-2005, 06:07
I'm sentimental. [cry]

Banzai
21-04-2005, 09:49
Wow! What a nice story :)
And a cute girl too!

All this because I made a lame joke by renaming my musket "Julia's ex Boyfriend" :)

[thumbsup]

Matrix
21-04-2005, 11:14
Lovely girl, romeo. Have a good life together. ;)

grs
21-04-2005, 12:33
Nice couple indeed and an interesting history lesson too. All the best to you two!

grs
21-04-2005, 12:53
On topic and in game:

Roman forces have taken Alesia, killing 3 defenders, and destroyed undefended Lauwersoog in 490AD. Detailed battle report will be sent to Romeo via mail.

Banzai
21-04-2005, 19:41
[shout]Glorious victory for Iroquois troops!! [shout]

In the year 490 AD the Iroquois Cavalry charged on Celtic cities and units.
The Iroquois report no losses, but 3 Celtic cities were burned to the ground.
Ruins remain where once Entremont, Lugdunum and Agedincum were located.

A detailed battle report will be sent to Romeo.

[charge]
Banzai!

Pastorius
21-04-2005, 19:55
Chemistry to make you bigger? This viking takes no drugs to become "larger"

I use a gainer from Ultimate Nutrition immediately after working out (600kcal after a 2hr session)
Contains proteins and carbohydrates and tastes a bit like chocolate.

I am careful not to overuse it - as I have a tendency to gain weight in the front when eating too much (although I am said to be slim)
A BMI of 22-23, and 77kg @ 1.82meters (who likes that weird American measure anyway [:p] ), I have little to worry about though

Ahem - enough about me [blush]

Lovely girl, nice couple. I was so impressed with your story, it almost made me start thinking in that same direction

almost ;)

Rik Meleet
21-04-2005, 20:20
quote:7) We are getting married on Friday, May 13. She also lives on Elm Street.

Friday the 13th ?? [ponder] Elm Street ?? [ponder]

Knowing the date and the location makes me think you can really use all the best luck you can get ... Just don't invite this guy to your wedding:

http://www.italiadvd.it/news/img/freddy.jpg

Pastorius
21-04-2005, 20:27
Warning, treadjack attempt:

A relative to the man above perhaps?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Paalikles/2005421202615_paper.JPG

romeothemonk
21-04-2005, 20:45

Chemistry to make you bigger? This viking takes no drugs to become "larger"

I use a gainer from Ultimate Nutrition immediately after working out (600kcal after a 2hr session)
Contains proteins and carbohydrates and tastes a bit like chocolate.

I am careful not to overuse it - as I have a tendency to gain weight in the front when eating too much (although I am said to be slim)
A BMI of 22-23, and 77kg @ 1.82meters (who likes that weird American measure anyway [:p] ), I have little to worry about though.

I just ran my BMI, a healthy 29.7. I do not know anyone who plays gridiron that has a "normal" BMI. My higher mass almost certainly has to do with my proclivity for squats. I superset heavy squats with leg press, then go to speed plyo's. That has packed on pounds, and made sure that all the pants I buy are several sizes too big at the waist so they fit over the thighs.
I acutally use no supplements when I lift. The closest thing is my multivitamin in the morning. I used Creatine for about 3 months, 2 years ago when I started lifting. Hamstring problems, coupled with chemical insomnia, got me off of any supplements real quick.
Since I live in ranch country, I get my protein from things that go moo. (Steaks, ribs, hamburger, milk, etc)
Back to the game.
It is a shame that my oppoenents fear my culture and raze and abandon stuff. I had ~2X the culture of either of them and a larger empire size.
Maybe I should yell at the mapmaker for not giving me ponies, or admit that I should have stockpiled troops and been ready for a sucker shot.

grs
21-04-2005, 20:53
quote:Maybe I should yell at the mapmaker for not giving me ponies... Don't think so. The Greeks had my horses, I just had to ask once for them :)

romeothemonk
21-04-2005, 21:06
Not complaining or anything as I had iron really close to the capitol, but the nearest horses were in the Dutch 1st ring. I decided to visit with Theo early on to negotiate Diamond and fur collection. By that point the blasted swiss mercs appeared, making my life more difficult. I actually have ponies as soon as my borders expand, but no real use for them now. I kind of wish this were like RaR where I could sacrafice for my needed expansion.

Matrix
22-04-2005, 02:26
My first remark is that I think the map maker did an excellent job in not giving us all resources from the start (i.e. iron & horses) and still gave us all an equal start. :)

Although...

...I just wonder if it's me or the Dutch who started so excellent that I wasn't able to knock out my neighbour AI. Even though this is not a symmetrical map by far (for AFAIK) it does have a structure which asks for a roughly equal AI challenge: the one with an easier challenge at the start will have an even bigger lead afterwards. I might just be my bad play, but looking at the speed of expansion of the Dutch (compared to the Byzantines) combined with their UU and the limited directions I was able to expand, I doubt all AI challenges were roughly equal.

The more a map is artificially balanced, the more the differences that are still there will only become magnified, while an unbalanced map makes people their situations so different, one cannot compare certain aspects of starting positions, but can only compare starting situations globally/or as a whole.

Of course we all want people their skill to determine the outcome of a game and not the luck or even fate of a good or bad starting situation. But the effects of a map can never be erased! We are playing...on a map. That map will always play an important role in the outcome of a game, unless it's completely symmetrical.

This brings me back to my all time point of view:
[u]A totally random map is more fun.</u>

To avoid giving Kingreno a feeling of redundancy or even insult: again, you did a wonderful job, and I do find this game very interesting and fun (even though I seem to be losing). :)

romeothemonk
22-04-2005, 02:56
I whacked a Roman Ancient cav at the ruins of Lauwersaug for no loss.
My Super troops have started digging in.

grs
22-04-2005, 08:37
@Matrix: We probably should wait to judge the positions till after we finished the game and can read each others spoilers; I am not sure you have a complete map of the world yet, so I think you should at least wait till you have one.

I made up my mind about the starts and wondered about many things others did, or did not do, but it would be too soon to evaluate this. &lt;deleted a lot of things I had to type of my mind....&gt; :/

I do not think a totally random map is better. That is for a simple reason, that is can give you a resourceless or isolated position, so that you have no chance at all from the start of the game and do not even know it. The map is very challenging

Kingreno
22-04-2005, 12:33
How I made this map:

As requested, you wanted it as random as possible.

1 - generate random continents map.

after several tries: done. roughly two equaly sized continents.

2 - select 4 staring locs for the humans (from the existing ones!). 2 on each continent. delete cows/wheat or add cow so all have one cow and a river/freshwaterlake (NOTHING ELSE WAS CHANGED at the start, or on the rest of the map!!!)

3 - count the nr of resources and hit the "redistribute natural resources button". (Check whether every human had either horse and/or Iron reachable. If so, done.) Other resources are utterly random.

4 - luxes: check if players have at least one "in the area". done.

5 - check the AI starting locs. This is the only part that actually took some strategic thinking as it is important. I decided on these AI based upon thier position, development and traits. Also on the UU. The fact that in this game Matrix (and to a lesser extend Romeo) seem to be troubled by swiss mercs is true. However, I dare to say The Greeks are not the best neighbour as well for grs and Banzai.:)

6 - Randomly assign the players to a human starting loc and get the game going. done.

Aftermath: This map took me only a very short time to make and the few tiny changes I made do not classify this map as a "hand made" map. It is IMVHO very very random with only the starts being altered a bit.

quote:To avoid giving Kingreno a feeling of redundancy or even insult

I am not insulted at all! How could I be? I just drew the parameters. My Randommapgenerator did the rest!

grs
22-04-2005, 12:51
@KR: Yes, and that was exactly what we requested (or to be precise, what I requested and the others agreed to by joining the game). Though it is not handmade, I think the map is a very good one, because it took me (and I hope also the others) a serious effort to grab luxes and strategic resources (in my case horses), that were closer to the AI than to me. I also "enjoyed" not having the usual 4 turn settler factory, which made it more challenging to fill the land faster than the AI could.

I also want to add, that the game is not over yet, so I see no reason to throw the towel (does this phrase work in English like it would in German?).

grs
22-04-2005, 13:12
500AD in-game events:

Camulodunum, Verulamium destroyed. Former Alesia (captured last turn) abandoned.

Matrix
22-04-2005, 13:34
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

Aftermath: This map took me only a very short time to make and the few tiny changes I made do not classify this map as a "hand made" map. It is IMVHO very very random with only the starts being altered a bit.
It's true that it's not hand-made. But two continents both filled up like human-AI-AI-human is, in a way, symmetrical, with all it's unbalanced problems as described above. Though you're right that Greece isn't an easy target either. ;)
quote:Originally posted by Kingreno

I am not insulted at all! How could I be? I just drew the parameters. My Randommapgenerator did the rest!
Glad to hear. :) It's just that we asked you to balance a map and then I say I preferred an unbalanced map. [rolleyes]
quote:Originally posted by grs

I also want to add, that the game is not over yet, so I see no reason to throw the towel (does this phrase work in English like it would in German?).
I'm not. But at present I am the smallest. (I wouldn't say 'weakest' since I got Nationalism. [nya])

Kingreno
22-04-2005, 13:50
quote:But two continents both filled up like human-AI-AI-human

What makes you think the otehr continent had this line-up?[coool]

Matrix
22-04-2005, 14:25
Because they were all talking about "have you killed your neighbour-AI already"?

Oh well, never mind then. [lol]
But I still like totally random maps more! [tongue] I can give you more reasons if you like, but I'll shut up now. [^]

Banzai
22-04-2005, 14:44
human-ai-ai-human?
@Matrix if you give me Nationalism I show you my worldmap! ;)

Pastorius
22-04-2005, 16:49
This lurker wouldnt be very sad if people posted some warfare screenshots.

Thanks

Matrix
22-04-2005, 16:51

human-ai-ai-human?
@Matrix if you give me Nationalism I show you my worldmap! ;)
Temptive, but no. ;)

grs
22-04-2005, 18:31

This lurker wouldnt be very sad if people posted some warfare screenshots.

Thanks
Problematic at least, since I guess the whole map is not known to all. I'll throw some up in my spoiler thread and I guess the others could do so too (if they want and haven't done so already.

Pastorius
22-04-2005, 18:32
Thanks. That's what I meant

romeothemonk
22-04-2005, 22:29
In my turn, My guys got Green and Mad. I used a gallic to whack an AC, then I used a musket to kill 1 of the purple horse "abusers" in the northlands.

Banzai
22-04-2005, 23:54

I used a musket to kill 1 of the purple horse "abusers" in the northlands.

[aargh] You killed the horse too!
Your musket has been trampled by an elite cav, while a nude guy with a big sword was kicked in the groint by a vet cav! there!

romeothemonk
23-04-2005, 14:56
Well the horse was infected, and we couldn't very well let him infect the others. It was more of a mercy killing.
No combat this turn. I get the feeling that they are playing with me now.

grs
23-04-2005, 16:08
530AD:
razed undefended Tolosa
razed undefended Lapurdum

grs
23-04-2005, 22:22
540AD:
razed undefended Burgigala
razed Lindum after killing 2 MDI
razed undefended Holwerd
razed undefended Varna

grs
24-04-2005, 16:17
550AD:
razed undefended Delft
took some slaves and killed stray units

Banzai
24-04-2005, 22:12
550AD
Glanum is gone, and Tilburg is no longer Celtic ..[hmm]

romeothemonk
26-04-2005, 06:14
I got really pissed off and killed some cavs. Unfortunately they were ancient cavs, and I only whacked 2. I also lost an MDI. I killed some of the evil red bastards. WOOHOO.

grs
26-04-2005, 18:26
560AD: razed empty Curovernum and took some slaves here and there.

Banzai
26-04-2005, 19:47
560 AD:
Cataractonium razed at the cost of 1 cav.

grs
28-04-2005, 17:46
570AD:
Adrianople and Smyrna razed

Banzai
28-04-2005, 20:21
Constantinople and Ceasarea.... gone!

[charge]

grs
02-05-2005, 16:55
[bump]
Romeo, your are up.

Banzai
02-05-2005, 16:57
I've already recieved his battle report, in which he told me he killed my musket... THE musket! :(

romeothemonk
02-05-2005, 19:08
I used turn tracker on Saturday. It said I submitted it. I do not know what is up. I will attempt to resubmit or something then.

grs
02-05-2005, 20:23
Yes, either resubmit or send via mail.

Banzai
03-05-2005, 21:47
wOOt!!!!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200553213513_fab4TOE.JPG

Also..
The Celtic cities Ratae Coritanorum and Nemausus have been destroyed at the cost of one cav.

Last but not least.. Romeo.. your wish might come true....

The alliance between the Romans and Iroquois have come to a brutal end as Iroquois troops march into Roman land, capturing eleven cities.

[charge]
Banzai!

romeothemonk
03-05-2005, 23:49
It is too late to matter in my opinion. (For saving my sorry little butt)
I will just have to burn some Iro luxes, or something.

grs
04-05-2005, 20:35
The Roman empire has collapsed - only ruins remain.

Banzai
04-05-2005, 21:42
Thats too bad grs, but I understand.
My spoiler is open for you.

Pastorius
04-05-2005, 21:49
To paraphrase quite a bit: "Veni vidi vicious stab" ;)

Banzai
04-05-2005, 22:00

To paraphrase quite a bit: "Veni vidi vicious stab" ;)

LOL

In dutch we have the quote: Veni vidi foetsie...
:D

romeothemonk
04-05-2005, 22:14
I am expecting that I have played my last turn, as There is a huge force of Roman cavs next to my last two cities.
Moral of the story, never trust Banzai or GRS.

Pastorius
04-05-2005, 22:15
Moral of the story:

GRRRR(s)![angry]
Banzai! [ninja]

Edit:
Lemme add that this is a good characterisation of Banzai (http://www.rathergood.com/stabbypool/) (also of Col and others [mischief] )

grs
04-05-2005, 22:25

I am expecting that I have played my last turn, as There is a huge force of Roman cavs next to my last two cities.
Moral of the story, never trust Banzai or GRS.
Huh, you are drunk or just making up something?
EDIT: Ok, that probably was the wrong tone, I am sorry. But would you care to explain, how you can possibly feel stabbed? I did not even trade techs or luxes with you prior to attacking, nor promise anything???

Banzai
04-05-2005, 22:43
@Romeo.. maybe I deserve that, but as far as I recall we had no deal or agreement whats-o-ever.. [crazyeye]

@Paalikles.. LOL! Am I that bad? [whipped]

romeothemonk
04-05-2005, 23:21
No deals were implied, I just thought there was an implied gentlemans agreement while the AI were cleaned up. It is all cool, there is no ill-will, just a warning to be careful in the future to myself or any other oppenents of youse guys.
Besides I have to laught when Banzai launched in on GRS. I hope Matrix wins.

Pastorius
04-05-2005, 23:22
@Banzai: no no, but when I find silly stuff that relates to a person or an issue, although extreme, I post it for others to enjoy.

I doubt Romeo's comment was meant in a very harsh way ;)

Matrix
04-05-2005, 23:28

I hope Matrix wins.
http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/roar.gif

romeothemonk
05-05-2005, 16:56
I was really miffed with the timing of your guy's attack is all. The Very next turn I would have had 4-6 rifles in each of those cities you landed by, instead, I had 1 musket and a crusader.
That was a very well executed attack, and I mean no ill will except in a possible rematch. (I don't like losing)
I was also flattered that it took a double team to bring my empire down, but seeing as I am a OCC at this point, the amount of damage I can do is now minimal.

Pastorius
05-05-2005, 17:41
OCC spaceship :D

Good luck Matrix [lol]

romeothemonk
06-05-2005, 23:51
I am still alive!!
[^]
I am not the first Eliminated. [:o)][:o)][dance2][:o)][:o)]
I will defend my new capitol Tooth and Nail.
I must outlive the AI. [stoned] I must.[guns]
I have a goal. I hope to live up to it.[tvs]

Banzai
09-05-2005, 19:03
Well done Romeo! I'll order my failing cavs to scalp their own heads, but I doubt they 'll listen to me.. they never do :(

You will live for at least another week as I will be on holiday from May 11th till May 18th :D

Matrix
09-05-2005, 21:18

Well done Romeo! I'll order my failing cavs to scalp their own heads, but I doubt they 'll listen to me..
That's called "shift-D".

romeothemonk
11-05-2005, 16:07
I need a file to play guys. Today and tomorrow are the last possible days for a week. I know Banzai already played as he sent me a battle log.
I might help him out and scalp some of his cavs for him. I started saving a lot of my troops for a last stand 3 turns after I was invaded, so I hope that I can at least remember the Alamo.

Banzai
18-05-2005, 12:08
Matrix?

Matrix
18-05-2005, 12:33
Oops. [blush]

romeothemonk
19-05-2005, 22:57
For anyone still reading this, I scalped 3 of the cavs for Banzai.

romeothemonk
20-05-2005, 01:08
I am back and have picked up a little bit of an image for Matrix.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/20055201845_beans.jpg
18.21*KB

It might take a while to get rid of them all. :D
(This is obviously not the bean jar in use, but you get the picture.)
Me I am happy that I only have an OCC to manage at this time. [sunn]

Matrix
20-05-2005, 02:13
Me no comprendo, seņor. [dunno]

Anyway, I again forgot to send the game on after having played it, [wallbash] but it's to Banzai now.

Banzai
20-05-2005, 07:51

Me no comprendo, seņor. [dunno]

Anyway, I again forgot to send the game on after having played it, [wallbash] but it's to Banzai now.

To me? You mean to Romeo...

Matrix
30-05-2005, 17:27
Isn't it about time to finish the job, Banzai?

romeothemonk
30-05-2005, 17:36
I have been frustrating him a little bit, and hope to hold out until bombers.

Banzai
30-05-2005, 18:56
Give me the save and I finish the job.. :D

romeothemonk
30-05-2005, 19:22

Give me the save and I finish the job.. :D

Ha ha. It was GRS that did the damage to me. I doubt that you could even finish a pizza, let alone finish me off. [scratch]

That being said I would like to challenge any/all of you to a 4 player game of similar setup with the Rise and Rule 1.04 mod.

Nothing like a nice taunt in the morning. [shout]

I am sure Banzai is a good guy, I just have to egg him on a little bit. Plus I really don't think he can kill me next turn.

Pastorius
30-05-2005, 19:38
Hehe, open threads are excellent for dirtslinging :D

Matrix
30-05-2005, 20:14
[lol]

Banzai
30-05-2005, 22:06
I just let the cavs do the talking.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200553022452_fab4gergoviacapture.JPG

Nice mpp with the Dutch btw... not that it matters..
It was nice playing with you Jake!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200553022523_fab4celtsdead.JPG

[charge]
Banzai!

romeothemonk
31-05-2005, 00:05
Well maybe I can get you guys to play my game, Rise and Rule mod for c3c.

Pastorius
31-05-2005, 08:51
So now it is Banzai vs Matrix?

Matrix
31-05-2005, 13:47
Yep. We continue. :)

Banzai
31-05-2005, 18:41
Yes, Matrix wants to feel pain [medic] :D

Here a minimap for our viewers.
There are no secrets here, as Matrix knows the worldmap too.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/2005531184035_fab4anotherminimap.JPG

[charge]
Banzai!

Pastorius
31-05-2005, 18:43
That purple blob sure is ugly, isnt it Matrix [fdevil][:p][mischief]

romeothemonk
31-05-2005, 19:22
Well the kinda sucky thing was that all that open space used to be green.
Then there was some sort of issue, and it all went south.
Can I peruse the spoilers now?

Pastorius
31-05-2005, 19:40
Ah yes, we remember the green green grass. Then one day the trooper came, and the celtic men and women ran to the hills.

To the Invaders, it felt like they were a Stranger in a strange land, they had to act fast, to be quick or be dead.

Now all that is left for Romeo, the monk, is to sing along with the rhyme of the ancient mariner.

So in essence, yes romeo, you re out, so go look at their spoilers!

PS: a lot of song references here. What band from the British isles have made these

Matrix
02-06-2005, 22:58
I deployed twelve knights on mountains right in his core. [evil]

Banzai's battle report:
Cav (4/4) - Knight (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Knight dead.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Knight 4/4.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (4/4) --&gt; Cav 3/4, Knight dead.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Knight 4/4.

Mine:
St. Regis:
Knight (4/4)-1-2 vs Infantry (4/4)-1
Knight (4/4)-4 vs Infantry (4/4)-2
Knight (4/4)-3 vs Infantry (4/4)-1
Knight (4/4)-3 vs Infantry (3/3)-1
Knight (4/4)-4 vs Infantry (3/3)-2
Knight (4/4)-3 vs Infantry (3/4)-0
Knight (4/4)-4 vs Infantry (3/4)-2+1

North of Tonawanda:
Knight (4/4)-1 vs Infantry (2/2)-2
The last whole one retreated along with the wounded.

Banzai
02-06-2005, 23:29
In retaliation 50 Iroquois troops took position next to German cities.

Matrix
03-06-2005, 00:07
Played and sent.
I wonder if I'll get another turn back, Banzie. ;)

Banzai
03-06-2005, 00:56
Yes.. I could not reach all cities :)

Maastricht:
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle dead.
Cav (4/4) - Pike (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Pike 1/4.
Cav (4/4) - Pike (1/4) --&gt; Cav 4/5, Pike dead.
Maastricht captured.

Groningen:
Cav (5/5) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 1/4.
Cav (5/5) - Pike (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Pike 2/4.
Cav (5/5) - Knight (3/5) --&gt; Cav 5/5, Knight dead.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (3/5) --&gt; Cav 2/4, Knight dead.
Cav (4/4) - Pike (2/4) --&gt; Cav 4/4, Pike dead.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (1/4) --&gt; Cav 4/4, Rifle dead.
Groningen captured.

Cologne:
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 4/4
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 2/4
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/4) --&gt; Cav 4/5, Rifle dead.
Cologne captured.

Bremen:
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 1/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (1/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 2/5.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/5) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle dead.
Bremen captured.

BERLIN:
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 4/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 3/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (3/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 2/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 2/4. Taaie rakker!
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 2/4. Hele taaie rakker!
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 2/5. Superman?
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/5) --&gt; Cav 4/4, Rifle dead.
Berlin razed!

Hannover:
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 3/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (3/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 2/5.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Knight -3.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (4/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Knight -2.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (2/5) --&gt; Cav 3/4, Rifle dead.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (2/4) --&gt; Cav 2/4, Knight dead.
Cav (4/4) - Knight (1/4) --&gt; Cav 4/4, Knight dead.
Hannover razed.

Munich:
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (4/4) --&gt; cav 1/4, Rifle 3/4.
cav (4/4) - Rifle (3/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 3/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (3/4) --&gt; Cav dead, Rifle 3/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (3/4) --&gt; Cav 1/4, Rifle 3/4.
Cav (4/4) - Rifle (3/4) --&gt; Cav 3/5, Rifle dead.
Munich razed.

Banzai
03-06-2005, 19:24
Yeeeehaaa!!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200563192356_fab4hoover.JPG

Matrix
03-06-2005, 20:04
I seriously doubt it'll speed up your conquest. [tongue]

I wonder though, how many people have built Hoover Dam in PBEM's or at all at CDZ? ;)

Banzai
03-06-2005, 21:21
It does!

Thanks to Hoover, this wonder is constructed 1 turn sooner
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200563211954_fab4magellan.JPG

With Magellan, my ships have 1 extra movement, reaching your islands faster!

Matrix
03-06-2005, 21:44
Nifty. [smokin]

Banzai
03-06-2005, 22:00
Germany is now officially OCC..

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200563215758_fab4lastminimap.JPG

But for how long?
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200563215852_fab4GermanyOCC.JPG

[charge]
Banzai!

Banzai
03-06-2005, 22:27
VICTORY !!!

The last battle report.. turn 199

Destroyer bombards 3/4 spear in Brandenburg --&gt; Spear now 1/4.
2 Bombers bombard Brandenburg --&gt; 1/4 spear killed.
Brandenburg now empty...

Veteran cav captures worker at Brandenburg.
Regular Guerrila captures empty Brandenburg...
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/20056322238_fab4BRANDENBURG.JPG

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200563222338_fab4GERMANYDEAD.JPG

Thanks Matrix, Romeo and Grs for this awesome game!
It was... fabtastic!

[charge]
Banzai!

Matrix
03-06-2005, 22:29
Hey, cool, RR in Germany! :D I had the technology, but no coal. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

Congratulations, Banzai!!! [yeah]
A well deserved victory! ;)
The backstab against grs was the best I've seen so far. :D

Pastorius
03-06-2005, 23:36
W00t. Congrats Banzai. You banzaied them good! :D