PDA

View Full Version : Rome total war

Col.Tarleton
28-10-2004, 12:59
I'm a little fed up with civ 3,it's just about been done to death after all it is about 4 years old.
I bought Rome total war for £25 on the net,this is unusual for me as I only ever play civ.
The game play borrows heavily from civ 3 (plagiarism?)but the battles are something else.I suspect that when civ 4 rears it's ugly head it will use the battles format from RTW.
All in all it is a very good game and I recommend it.There is a playable battle download out there somewhere to give one a taste.

Matrix
28-10-2004, 13:29
Haven't taken the time to try it yet, but so far most reviews were very positive!

I seriously doubt any version of Civ will ever let you do battles yourself. It's not that kind of game.

Shabbaman
28-10-2004, 14:25
Unlike battlefield: vietnam, which I'm currently playing. I saw something on RTW on television. It looked nice, but from a turn based game I want depth, complexity, not fancy graphics.

Aggie
28-10-2004, 15:11
I don't think it borrows from civ, but more from Risk. The battles are awesome and THAT is the heart of the game. I only know Medieval: Total War and Shogun: Total War very well, but sadly the Turn Based part of the game was rather simple there. The battles weren't enough for me to put it next to CIVs greatness.

But...I did buy Rome: Total War and the first impression is....Wow, awesome. I don't have the time to play longer than one hour per night though...and I'm lost already. Which is a good thing :) A game shouldn't be to easy. I'm still waiting for a game with the debt of CIV and the battle scenes of Total War.

Shabba: Total War's battles aren't only fancy graphics!! You can totally control the soldiers on the field, you are actually fighting the battles yourself, using the terrain and weather conditions to your benefit.

Col.Tarleton
29-10-2004, 16:08
I played a couple of battles online,yesterday.I haven't got the hang of controllng the units,as yet,but it's very entertaining.
You can play the turn based game without manually fighting the battles so that you can get an idea of the intracacies of the game.I agree that it's no civ3 but add in the battles and it is well worth while.

digger760
29-10-2004, 16:26
I played Medieval Total War..and found the game very very very long to play..infact i never completed it. In both Medieval and Rome Total war there are two modes..turn based where provincial orders and army movements are carried out. Provinical stuff included what units you want to build and what buildings you want to build...buildings improve your religous, economic, diplomatic and military potential in the game (i might have missed some not sure?) So for example with better miliraty buildings you can build better units. With a better economy you can support more units. You can build markets, temples, ship building. You can trade with other nations. You can spy and carry out activities to disrupt other nations. i.e bribes come to mind. You can join and split uints from armys, you can add or remove generals from armys.

You move your armies about the provinces and take over other provinces. At the end of the turn-based section battles could be resolved in real time. In real time you control what each unit in the army can do can do. Each unit has a certain level of valour(morale) and strength. Units my flee from battle if they are getting slaughtered, units my start to fight less well when tired. Units gains expereince and can take that into the next battle, making them less likely to retreat. Certain units have advantages over other units.

You nation also has generals which have skills that could include, economic skills, military skills or have religous favour (maybe others). So Some generals are good at running provinces and provide bonus to the province and some are better at leading your army and provide bonus to your army.

Now the main difference between Rome and Medieval Total war is that the turn-based section is supposed to be much more involved..i.e you can do more with diplomacy and trade. The graphics are much better as are the real time battles. Also new in ROME is that you may move into a certain part of a province to gain a terrain advantage in the real time battles.

I played the Demo of Rome Total War and it includes a real time battles tutorial. The battles seem much more realistic than Medieval. and the mechanics of it seem to be better. i.e in Medival iirc Spearman where good at defending against Cavalry but in Rome, a charging cavalry and run right through a spearman unit and send the units flying.

I think in both games you have the option to let the PC resolve the battles themselves, which leaves you to just play a pretty good strategy game (not on the same depth as civ i dont think). But real the main hype and pull of the game is the Real Time battle and the graphics that drive it.

From my experience from Medieval Total war is the turn based stuff was quite simple and quick to do. Real time battles could take me on average 30 mins to pan out. SO imagine if in 1 turn you have 6 battles to resolve...then 1 turn could take over 3 hours...which is exaustive stuff when you are highly focused on how your units are faring out in battle.

I want to buy Rome Total War..but dont have the money or the time at the moment...and i made a commitment to myself to finish Soldiers, Heroes of WW2 before i buy another game (Rome would be the top of my list)

Col.Tarleton
29-10-2004, 16:42
That's a pretty good description of the game,Digger,and as I said I played on Gamespy yesterday,it was very well attended showing that the game is quite popular.
One thing that I don't understand is the compulsion to finish the game in reasonably short order.For myself I don't care how long it takes,the playing is the entertainment.I suspect that I'm in the minority in this view.

Melifluous
29-10-2004, 16:43
RTW is quite simply the best game there has ever been.

I play it on my crappy laptop on lowest specs and I can still play out the real time battles.

I think the best bit of the game is buyilding up your family tree and your new governers pick up odd traits.

2 of the best I've seen are
Hopelessly Profane - This man cannot utter a single sentence without including the worst of profanities. +20% popularity with the people, -10% popularity with the senate. +5 morale with your troops once fighting.

Minion - This man is well know as a servile curr and regularly submits to the amourous advances of other men. -1 influence.

Fantastic game. Can only start playing as one of the 3 roman families but every nation you wipe out in a game (or is wiped out whilst you are at war with them) becomes another nation you can start the game with.

Might start with Carthage next. They gots Elephants [charge]

Melifluous

DrAlimentado
29-10-2004, 18:23
RTW is excellent. I also play on my crappy desktop. The battles are cool, 1000+ men each in 3D - and seige battles are so so cool... walls, rams, towers, ladders, drool...
Campaign map is now 3d too, so you get point to point movement complete with ambushing armies etc. It's a beautiful blend of turn-based strategy and real-time tactical battles.

Meli, you can easily unlock all the factions from the start. iirc its in desc_strat.txt, anyhows its easy. You can grab a modified file from twcenter.net.

If you want to play Carthage I recomend you d/l the Total Realism mod too - it gives them access to a bunch more troops than the vanilla game. Also balances the troops a little to make cav less powerful blah blah blah - it makes the battles longer and more fun anyway.

Elephants are evil, I just had a battle where 6 cohorts of my finest veteran legionnaires were decimated by 2 troops of elephants. nasty.

Overall it probably has less strategic depth than civ3, but has atmosphere x10. And the battles are so much fun, it hurts, but in a good way. Still no campaign multiplayer though... which is just criminal. grrrr.

Dell19
29-10-2004, 21:34
Started a game as Carthage after my game as the Romans as I couldn't face waiting for my next batch of family members to reach the front line so that I could take more German cities. It does seem that on medium difficulty level the battles are far too easy. After this game as Carthage I'll probably increase the battle difficulty level but not the campaign difficulty as I don't really want too many rebellions.

In my first major battle 20 elephants won the battle for me even though my general had routed and we were facing a roughly even force.

Dell19
29-10-2004, 23:41
Not so tough Roman armies... :\

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Dell19/20041029223935_Carthage3.JPG
148.84KB

akots
30-10-2004, 04:57
Please can someone who played Shogun: TW tell me is there any reason RTW is much better? I might try it though but still not sure. I've played STW a lot while waiting for the Civ3 to be patched and don't think can play more of a similar game it is does not have some things really improved.

DrAlimentado
30-10-2004, 18:14
I played STW quite a lot, and imo RTW is a much much improved engine. The battle engine is really good, like shogun but fully 3d sprites, and spectacular (even on my pos computer) urban maps/siege battles.
The campaign game is a lot better with a more sophisticated economics/happiness system and the map is radically improved, but its all familiar enough city/unit wise. Characters play a much larger role in running cities as well as leading armies and the whole traits/retinue system is pretty fun.
Apply mods for more 'realistic' (tactical rather than twitch) battles and more historical campaign game.
Overall, much improved 'next-next-gen' STW (you know you missed MTW right?), but a similar beast at heart.

akots
31-10-2004, 03:41
OK, you better be right. Because I had a gift certificate to Target for $25, I went and paid also my own $25 and got the game. Have not installed it yet, need to finish with Civ3 and take a couple of days off work before going to try this one. It should be very addictive, iirc I played a couple of straight 24-36-hour non-stop sessions with STW almost right away. Guess this might mean the end of my Civ3 SP games (GOTM mostly).

1 hour later: I can't stand it. Opened the box, and the disk and the manual and will install and try it now.

3 hours later. It is very addictive. Back to game now. :)

First impression:
Very pleasant graphics and very realistic. Complex strategy with many factors to consider.

What sucks:
Horrible pathfinding. Worse than in STW especially during the siege and on the city streets. Seems that AI also has a problem with this. Very "sensitive" camera with way too many redundant controls. Same problems with battle outcome resolution as in STW. Stupid AI especially during the siege. Problems with sound and sound card detection (why not use what DirectX tells?). Very annoying "advisors". Ridiculous tutorial. Very resource-consuming game overall, need to upgrade memory and processor for good quality play (same as Doom) but graphics card and other things are fine.

Shabbaman
12-11-2004, 16:11
Got the game, played the tutorial. Some crashes, but overall nice performance. Nice game as well, though it took me some time to figure out how to set up a proper economy (lousy tutorial). However, the game just doesn't work in the imperial mode. At all.

So I browsed the net, and I found, for example, the official R:TW forum, filled with complaints about the worthless performance of the game. At first, the game crashed after 3 seconds in the imperial campaign. After I installed new video drivers and the 1.1 patch, I could play up to one turn. A nice one: apparently, performance goes up with Windows Media Player 10. Unfortunately, wmp 10 doesn't have windows 2000 support... bunch of assholes.

Anyway, I might try some quick battles (though I play for the management part...), but I'll let this game lie until they're releasing a new patch.

DrAlimentado
12-11-2004, 16:30
I use win2k and have very few problems with it crashing (maybe 1 random ctd a week)... and I have a shitty (old geforce2mx) gfx card too.

Shabbaman
12-11-2004, 16:49
I didn't say it made sense :)

DrAlimentado
12-11-2004, 17:22
the media player thing espeically dosen't make sense... the only movie is the intro isn't it?

you might just get some use from these command line switches:
-nm = no movie
-na = no audio
-show_err = when the game crashes you get an error message, if a ctd then you might get the message the next time you exit the game (so restart and exit to see it). particularly good at catching erroneous game files.

here is a full list (http://area42.wildfiregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135)

alternative RTW fora - better than the official one - I've linked straight to the tech forum in each:

The Guild (forums) (http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

TWCentre (forums) (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=48)

Shabbaman
12-11-2004, 17:51
Show error, that might be especially helpful. I already spammed the guild.

Aggie
15-11-2004, 08:20
Just finished my first campaign and conquered the world on the easiest level (to find out how things work). I now started a new campaign as Carthage and the game started quite interesting with invasions from Rome and Spain. I really had to use thenavy to get my troops from one island to another fast. I'm starting to really really like it :)

Moff Jerjerrod
18-11-2004, 14:31
I think Rome: Total War is the best game in the series. It may even be the best strategy game out there!

digger760
18-11-2004, 16:47
quote:Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod

I think Rome: Total War is the best game in the series. It may even be the best strategy game out there!

[hmm]If you are still playing after 4 years like you did with Civ3..then you can make this claim.

Its like having a new girlfriend..the fun wears off after a while.[argue]

Shabbaman
20-11-2004, 12:42
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

you might just get some use from these command line switches:

Apparently, the whole issue was caused by bad memory. I got some fresh memory, and it works like a charm.
It was causing a lot of different problems as well, like random reboots, random CTD with mozilla and so on.

ProPain
20-11-2004, 13:02
I wish I had more time on my hands.....to protect myself I'm not buying any new games untill my schedule starts showing more (or rather any) blank spots. Not even mentioning all the games I bought and hardly played the last few years (WarCraft3 + exp, Worms3D, AoW)

....I need to find a job that revolves around playing games, but how.....

Shabbaman
20-11-2004, 15:41
You could make swingue work harder ;)

LLXerxes
23-12-2004, 02:48
RTW is awesome. I love playing ast he selucids, egyptians, or Romans. I have some cool screens if anybody wants some.

Swingue
23-12-2004, 10:25
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

You could make swingue work harder ;)

He[aargh]

Aggie
28-01-2005, 16:57
I have been playing R:TW for a few months now (on and off - I had other more pressing things to do [:p] ) and it made me value CIV3 even more. The battles in R:TW are awesome, but the AI is totally stupid. Both in the Turn-based part AND in the battle part. Winning on the highest level takes no real effort at all. Civ3 is enjoyable for 2 years, R:TW only for 2 months it seems. All due to the AI...

Lt. Killer M
29-01-2005, 02:40
aggie: you are under pressure???? [:P] I thought you had the pressure taken care of by now!

Aggie
29-01-2005, 22:31
Me not under presuure :) But I had more pressing matters indeed :D

digger760
31-01-2005, 11:19
I managed to see Time Commanders for the first time on BBC2 last night...I heard it was on discovery ages ago..but i only recently got cable.

Time Commanders is basically uses the RTW engine (before it was released) with bunch of oldies with no apparent skill in tactics what-so-ever commanding the armies against...the AI i think.

Last nights show had the Human (which i from know on i shall refer to as "The Dumbos") commanding Alexanders army against an indian foe. For some bizzare reason the humans put there weakest units (javelin throwers or archers??) on the right flank..to face the Indian war elephants. In the course of battles the Elephants chased the archers off the map..The Dumbo's still ignoring the elephant threat carried on with there assault against the indians..which consist of an not very effective cavalry charged on the opposite indian flank. The Elephants turned back and had the the bulk of the Greek centre line... about 4-5 Hoplites groups..lined of for rear on attack..lets just say that it was shortly over for the greeks after that.

Near the end of the battle I could here The dumbos saying..what are those guys over there???

They are your units running from the field you idiots!!!

So there you go Aggie...the AI is still smarter than some it seems!!!

anarres
31-01-2005, 18:23
Time Commanders is funny - it's amazing to watch people fall apart and fail to assess the situation and forces available.

It makes you wonder what would happen if any of us got to go on, they would have to pull the series as the AI gets nailed at every battle. :)

DrAlimentado
31-01-2005, 19:04
what's better is that this really very piss poor team were all servicemen! even after the battle they couldn't understand why giving the enemy elephants free range of their own rear hurt them...

They also limply blamed the greek cavalry for not 'performing as expected' - lol, so funny to hear the soldiers blaming the little sprites performance! what they meant was 'like idiots we expected our heavy cavalry to win the battle - cos Alexander was a cavalry hero, right?'

Last week though was a family team - really young kids but the mum barked orders like a proper generalissimo and they kicked ass!

I suspect the 'ai' is actually being controlled as well, it performs rather 'normally' imo. If not there must be a lot of cuts where the ai general marches his troops onto the field and immediately suicide charges the teams front-line ;) but you never know.

dam, thats too much chatter about a pretty weak show.

digger760
03-02-2005, 17:24
So far i have only managed to play this game on my laptop. The old desktop PC with an 1600XP processor and geforce4MX440 seemed to struggle with it, this is unfortunatle because the Desktop has a far better sound system then the laptop. I even have a sub-woofer speaker which would make the battles all the more dramatic.

I noticed a thread on one of the links DrA posted about somebody who had it running on a geforce4MX440 with a PCI card!!! So I updated my driver, and with that it gave me the option of taking away control of anti-aliasing and some other graphical controls from RTW. This fixed the framerate problem and now it is playable at 800x600. I also downloaded to the Desktop the total realism mod and played a few historical battles.

I won the first (for get the name but its the one were the Romans are ambushed by General Hanibal and his cronies)

I started the second. The Battle of Gaugamela (had to try this after seeing Alexander the Crappy). Its a bit hard to see whats going on at 800x600 and with lots of units the framerate begins to stutter. But the charge of the Persian units in the battle of Gaugamela was an impressive site. I think i'm gonna have to download the total realism mod to the Laptop and see how it goes with better graphics.

I was even looking for the battle they did on crappy time commanders last week..but did'nt see it in the list in RTW.

akots
27-04-2005, 00:23
With the patch 1.2 some bugs were fixed but some new appeared. Well, Firaxis is not the only company making glitchy games. And in RTW the bugs are not that bad. It is just that now you set battles for very hard and it is indeed normal but normal is indeed biased and strongly towards the AI. And other multiple issues as well, about a hundred.

Interestingly, people in the totalwar.org and also playing succession games!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21171

Have not seen a user named Aggie there but the idea seems nice and once I get my skill up with this game, it is certainly worth playing just to make it more interesting. The whole campaign is extremely time-consuming, so nice idea to split it between a few players.

Shabbaman
27-04-2005, 09:42
Sounds like a good idea. Although I recently uninstalled it, there's nothing that would prevent me to reinstall :)

RTW is great game but I prefer Civ and HoI2 :)

Aggie
27-04-2005, 13:34
quote:Originally posted by akots

Have not seen a user named Aggie there but the idea seems nice and once I get my skill up with this game, it is certainly worth playing just to make it more interesting. The whole campaign is extremely time-consuming, so nice idea to split it between a few players.

One of the consequences of my relationship is that my PC game time is severely limited :( I would have loved to play R:TW SG's otherwise. I registered on The Guild a few months ago, another R:TW forum, but not nearly as great as either CFC or CDZ... I didn't know about this one.

akots
27-04-2005, 15:03
It is a great fun on very hard/very hard and I'm getting my ass kicked by Gauls playing as Julii. Hope the assasins can help to take care of their nasty generals. The most bizzare is the heavy cavalry bug when attacking heavy cavalry overruns anything, chopping straight through my mercenary hoplite phlanax and beheading hastati by hundreds. Surprisingly, but on normal difficutly it is even worse than that. I somehow mastered the economy though. It seems rather simple indeed: do not build what you don't need and don't build too many troops. Either enslave or sometimes exterminate when the loot is good. But diplomacy and battles are a real pain, especially fighting heavy cavalry. Diplomacy and diplomats are extremely glitchy and it is very difficult to take care of all relationships and wars since AI is extremely unpredictable, even worse than Civ3. Brutii seems the easiest campain once you can master the handling of Macedonian troops. And I have not even started reading or playing Scipii.

The twcenter.net is by far the greatest forum. I have not registered their either, just lurking. On the other hand, the totalwar.org site is rather useless. Their guides suck and don't really help imho.

akots
05-05-2005, 02:39
I'm still having my ass kicked and really hard this time. Now it is a pandemia of deaths from natural resons. Old fraction leader, heir, an 8-star general and 8-management guy all died within 3 turns along with a few wives but no signs of plague. Must say that fraction leader was 79 years old. Also, I have not saved for about 10 turns playing straight and my fraction leader (10-star general with 8 management and 8 influence) died in battle with Thracian rebels and all his carefully selected and pested retinue is gone. I'm having 13 provinces and am number one in military and trade (number 3 or 4 in population and finances) but only 5 family members. Seems that I have a choice of either replaying from the earlier save (that is going to be a boring task, would hate to do this) or just start another game learning on mistakes made in this one. Seems that I would go for the second option even though it is only 239BC.

The main success from this game is that I'm starting to lear how to wage an efficient siege with minimal losses, use Principes in a right way and how to get to Pontifex Maximus and other Senatorial offices in a very short time (at 245BC I had 4 out of 6 offices). Main setback: Vey annoying agents interface. I've had about 30 diplomats/spies/assassins and browsing through the list and moving them is a real hassle. Money making and keeping citizens happy is a done deal. Rapid growth also seems to be mastered.

Still cannot find a good tactics with training assassins and fighting Gaul.

Matrix
30-06-2005, 22:10
I got the game too now. [yeah] After having downloaded the Spanish and German versions first. [rant]

The battles are drop dead gorgious! However, I played the tutorial, and after having conquered that city northwest of Rome, what more is there to do? [confused] Is that simply the end of the tutorial?

Shabbaman
30-06-2005, 22:29
The tutorial is pretty short indeed. Go and try a epic campaign.

btw, this thread should be in "other other games" ;)

akots
30-06-2005, 22:35
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I got the game too now. [yeah] After having downloaded the Spanish and German versions first. [rant]

The battles are drop dead gorgious! However, I played the tutorial, and after having conquered that city northwest of Rome, what more is there to do? [confused] Is that simply the end of the tutorial?

Cool. Also note that if you turn the RTS camera off and press in Insert on num-keyboard, you can zoom in and watch all these soldiers actually fighting down there. Or marching. That is the best feature. Also, make sure to download patch 1.2 and some of the bug fixers. There are a plently of these on totalwar.org but imho one by player1 is the best.

I'm also thinking of starting a game with RTR mod or SQPR mod. Have not yet decided which one to select.

Matrix
04-07-2005, 13:46
I know I can zoom in during the battles. That's what makes it so great. :)

I haven't download any patch yet, but I also wonder whether the cracked exe would still work. [blush] But then again, a 'patched' crack shouldn't be difficult to find either.

Yesterday night I played on until 3:00 AM, while I had to get up at 8:30 AM. This game is more addictive than Civ3! [eek] I haven't experienced the one more turn-syndrome this much since Civ1...

Shabbaman
04-07-2005, 15:14
I had the same, but it got boring after several campaigns. I could have upped the difficulty level, but I didn't see that as a challenge (neither do I for civ, btw).

You can find all sorts of deodorant at gamecopyworld.

Dell19
04-07-2005, 15:20
Same for me. It always seemed to be a case of using the same tactics of using mounted units first and then routing the enemy for few casualties whilst if you let the AI control your army then it would probably lose or suffer heavy losses.

Shabbaman
04-07-2005, 16:47
Eventually I couldn't be bothered with the actual fighting. I liked the campaign level, but that got tedious in the end. BTW, reading your post reminded me what annoyed me most with this game, and rts in general: the horrible pathfinding...

akots
04-07-2005, 22:53
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman
... the horrible pathfinding...

There are means to fight that actually! It is way better in patch 1.2 and once you get a hand with missile units turning skirmisher mode on/off rapidly while moving it is almost flawless.

Matrix
01-11-2005, 01:27
I finished a campaign as House of Julii a few days ago. The end was tedious. Here's the end map:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200511101836_Julii.gif
21.06KB

Then I started as the Gaul, but with battle & campaign at medium difficulty. I like the battles being tougher, but not the campaign. So I put that on halt and started as Egypt with easy campaign and medium battles.

@Shabbaman: I can imagine it gets boring when you've finished several campaigns. [eek] I might just finish the Celtic campaign after Egypt (or start again), but after that the game used up.

By the way, you don't see the map at the beginning, and I was interested to see where everyone started, so I searched for cheat codes and found "toggle_fow" to be entered in the console (after pressing tilde), et voila: ;)
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200511102749_RTW_WholeMap.gif
21.19KB

akots
01-11-2005, 02:43
You can always play Total Realism mode. http://www.rometotalrealism.org/

It is the greatest mod on 3-times bigger map with very cool units and absolutely new strategies. It is also way more tough than the original game.

Shabbaman
30-10-2006, 10:49
Just saw this thread again [bump] Three weeks ago I bought R:TW gold edition on the cheap. I started with a vanilla game with the Julii that became boring soon enough, but Barbarian Invasion is pretty cool!

digger760
31-10-2006, 11:26
Medieval Total War 2 is supposed to be out in November, but i suspect i'll need a PC upgrade to play :(

Shabbaman
31-10-2006, 15:02
Definately. You didn't get civ4 to run smoothly did you? M2:TW system demands (better fitting than requirements here...) are pretty steep. There's a demo available btw.

digger760
31-10-2006, 18:26
Civ4 runs ok, large maps can take a bit of time and i dont think the code for civ4 is the best. Still hope for M2:TW :)

Demo.....bugger, have to paint tonight, then its the 1st episode Lost-Season3 at 10pm GMT. Then again if its anything like the 1.8Gig download of Company of Hereos Demo which took ~3 hours..best i start the download before painting!!!

Actuallt Company of heroes demo seems to run ok at lowest settings, even more hope for M2:TW :)

Furiey
31-10-2006, 21:10
I guess I'll also need a PC upgrade for MTW 2. I could play RTW pretty well even with only a GeForce2 MX400, but with the problems I've had with Civ 4 I don't hold out much hope. Hopefully the demo will give more idea if it'll run than the Civ4 demo did.

Matrix
31-10-2006, 21:42
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Civ4 runs ok, large maps can take a bit of time
Concerning map size: I had 512MB memory. Once I inserted 1GB extra I could handle the biggest maps easily. It's purely a memory thing.

Shabbaman
11-11-2006, 12:30
Well, the system requirements aren't as steep as I expected:

quote:
English version of Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP.
Celeron 1.8GHz Pentium 4® (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD® processor.
512MB RAM.
8x Speed DVD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers.
11.0 Gigs of uncompressed free hard disk space.
100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.
100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers.
DirectX® 9.0c.
128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 support and the latest drivers.
Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible.
Monitor must be able to display 1024x768 resolution or above.

The major reason I expected something absurd was that apparently the demo only ran at machines with some bizarre intel processor. None of this, luckily. Way back I read the statement by the developer that m2:tw should run on the same machine as r:tw. It's the same graphics engine anyway.

But enough threadjacking, in other news: yesterday I finished my first barbarian invasion campaign. After a very short and failed attempt with the Lombardi I had a more enjoyable time with the Saxons [ninja] Great game. Barbarian Invasion is in the budget section nowadays, about 7 euros.
I started a new game with the Huns, to find out how the horde mechanic plays. It doesn't suit my builder style. I think I'm going to play with either the Eastern Roman Empire to find out how hard it is to hold (and rebuild) the empire, or I'm going to take down the ERE with the Sassanids. Chop chop [ninja]