PDA

View Full Version : * spoiler* Jack vs Anarres

jack merchant
11-04-2003, 23:05
to be updated when the game starts :)

jack merchant
12-04-2003, 02:54
15 turns played so far and I got a settler from a hut ! I never open huts on deity but this one was on a mountain so I took a chance.
I'm very close to the French and the Japanese, so I'm probably going to skip the granary and build settlers out the food bonanza until I have my territory secured

jack merchant
12-04-2003, 03:36
horses out there for the taking - let's see if I can beat Toku to them. Gems up for grabs, too. But then, Anarres might not live that long...

jack merchant
12-04-2003, 15:24
My lands:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/2003412152337_JvA-India.jpg
195.14KB

jack merchant
12-04-2003, 15:25
Having just met the Iroquis, I know who the remaining civs are. My guess is that Anarres is getting hammered by the Romans. The Chinese are not nearly as agressive.

jack merchant
14-04-2003, 12:03
Anarres has sold me Iron Working for 150 gold. Most of the money was raised by the sale of mysticism to the AIs. He will 'meet the neighbours' soon enough now.

I'm currently researching polytheism at minimus science.

I've founded cities west and south of Delhi, which will lock an iron in my borders. Unfortunately, the Japanese have stolen the horses to the SE. A settler is currently on its way to a spot to the NW of Delhi

jack merchant
14-04-2003, 22:34
Iron Working came in very handy :) Along with contact with the Japanese and some gold, it allowed me to buy writing from France @3rd, and then with some more gold and another contact, 2 Korean workers. All this one turn before Anarres got it via min sci [lol]

Aggie
15-04-2003, 07:46
Great move Jack. Very clever indeed. :)

jack merchant
16-04-2003, 12:42
I shouldn't take too much credit - writing wasn't around when I bought IW.

As an update, I now have 5 cities but the room for peaceful expansion is just about gone. I'm going to build up some warriors for upgrade and attack someone, most likely the Japanese as they have horses close by and I want those for later upgrade to Elephants.

Aggie
16-04-2003, 12:54
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant

I'm going to build up some warriors for upgrade and attack someone, most likely the Japanese as they have horses close by and I want those for later upgrade to Elephants.

You don't need horses for war elephants. That's the uniqueness of this unit...

ERIKK
16-04-2003, 13:10
But you can upgrade them to Elephants AFAIK. That is what it is alll about, right????

Aggie
16-04-2003, 13:20
Sorry I misread. [smokin] At least you know, that we are following this game JM :)

jack merchant
16-04-2003, 21:16
Yup :) I'd hate to be forced to build elephants all from scratch !
The current state of my empire :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/2003416211425_jmvsan2.jpg
201.86KB

I'm quite happy with my progress so far - however, it will take some time before I can take the fight to someone.

In SP games I wouldn't have bought as many workers as I did as it hurts the AI so badly but since this is a competitive game, I won't hold back [evil]

jack merchant
17-04-2003, 12:32
we played a couple more turns and this time, Anarres beat me to a trading opportunity for mapmaking, polytheism and the world map. I now have those to but I'm wondering whether I didn't in fact pay too much [eek]
However, It will take some time before my military is up to scratch anyway and a couple more gpt deals are due to expire.

I'll post the world map later but I can say already that I don't like it - Anarres has quite a bit of room left to expand and now he can as he is apparently no longer harassed by the Romans or the Chinese.

Maybe I should get the Chinese to declare war on him when I have enough money to do so.

jack merchant
21-04-2003, 18:44
I'm now 4 techs behind to the AIs and my min sci run at monarchy has failed - the Iro's got it first with 10 turns to spare.
However, the Great Indian Empire is taking positive steps to safeguard its future - already, the Japanese horse and gems towns have been seized by my mighty army, consisting of 4 swords, 2 archers and a spear. Reinforcements are now pouring in on both sides and 4 Japanese swords have bitten the dust, Indian casualties totalling one sword.
Anarres, on the other hand, appears to be in trouble [help]

jack merchant
23-04-2003, 00:42
Having failed to capture any more cities than the ones mentioned, I have made peace with the Japs and gained 4 techs and a worker in exchange for 120 gold :D

My new empire looks like this:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200342304024_india.jpg
50.51KB

I am now gathering my swords in Bombay for a strike at France. The tech situation looks good - different civs have different techs. The Chinese have a monopoly on the republic, the Iros have one on monarchy. Since I'll get monarchy in 4, I hope to score construction with it, or possibly the republic.

jack merchant
23-04-2003, 13:11
The minimap:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/2003423131125_AvsJ_minimap.jpg
36.17KB

jack merchant
25-04-2003, 00:00
Well, my min sci run at monarchy did net me construction from Japan.
I'm now running the republic at min sci, but hope to get it sooner than 40 turns from now.
To that end, I've invaded France with about 8 swords and a spear and taken Orléans. The French are now without iron of their own, but they do have a sizable amount of units still. I'm hoping to hurt them enough to get a decent discount on republic though. I'm also building horses now that the borders of the formerly Jap horse town have expanded.
One final bit of luck: my very first attack with an elite sword spawned a GL ! He was instantly used to rush the FP in newly captured Orléans. This will help in the long term once I acquire some more French cities around it.

Kemal
25-04-2003, 08:13
Looking good, Jack! Great news about the great leader, but I hope you've got some battleplans ready to eliminate France anytime soon, since you certainly do not want Orleans to flip away now.

jack merchant
25-04-2003, 11:09
'Thanks :) I'm not too concerned about it flipping back though - it is size one now and will have full control over its 21 tiles once its borders expand. I also built temples in my own cities relatively early, so I'm not too far behind on culture.

My current gameplan is oscillating war against the AIs. Japan has already been seriously weakened and if I can capture 2-3 more French cities, they will be, too. I currently have a 'deity rop' with the Koreans, who are sending massive amounts of troops at Japan and maybe England. I hope to build up a horses-to elephant army while they are otherwise occupied, and hit them with a vengeance.

jack merchant
07-05-2003, 11:50
Well, my gameplan was to build up horses and then go after France again when Chivalry and Elephants showed up, but it failed. The peace treaty just ran out, and as I was buying tech in the peace treaty for 40 gpt, I had to cancel the peace treaty to get rid of the gpt payment - the French wouldn't take straight up peace.
However, Chivalry hasn't shown up yet and I'm not really ready for a war yet, so things should get interesting. I attacked one French town but my combat luck was awful and I lost 4 swords ands 2 horses.
Good thing that France doesn't have iron anymore - I'll just have to keep building horses and med infs and hope chivalry shows up soon.

jack merchant
10-05-2003, 18:15
Chivalry is in and I have Elephants now - I was able to buy it from Japan of all civs - they were rather backward before.
French resistance is much stronger than expected - lots of Med infs ( I sold them iron after we had made peace to recoup some of the 40 gpt I paid for tech). Fortunately, the Koreans had lots of Med Infs in French territory on their way to Anarres, so I bought them in against the French. They promptly captured Paris :D The French are weakened and pulled every which way, so more cities should start falling soon.

The big problem now is that my rep is gone and I have no idea how that happened. Maybe someone lost a harbour or I had a trade route through France ? I'll probably have to go in heavy war-mode now and buy tech via peace negotiations.

jack merchant
12-05-2003, 18:44
The French are as good as dead now - my only hope is that they will live long enough to honorably end my alliance with the Koreans so I can extort Gunpowder and maybe Education from them.
I am at war with China after foolishly trying an immediate tech steal and they bought the Iro's in against me. So far, they're not a threat.

Anarres mentioned in a CFC thread that he might let loose the Koreans on me, so I'm considering turning on them myself as soon as I have bloodied the Iros enough. War elephants are already being sent to the Korean border in anticipation.

jack merchant
21-05-2003, 00:08
The non-agression pact signed with Anarres allowed me to make peace with the Chinese for as little as 50 gold, with no combat having taken place. I made peace with the Iroquis earlier on after capturing 2 of their towns (one of which had to be abandoned but was replaced on a safer location).
With my eastern front now secure, I moved nearly all of my Elpehants to the Korean borders and attacked as soon as a lux deal expired. 3 cities fell on the first turn, I'm now dealing with the counterattack. Since I goaded the Koreans into declaring on me, WW shouldn't be a problem.

Since most of my cities have markets and cathedrals, I'm producing Elephants pretty much exclusively. When Korean has been taken out, I anticipate being able to take on the Iroquis and Japan and go for domination. It's likely I will have to destroy Anarres in order to get it though.

jack merchant
30-05-2003, 12:25
Anarres finally got around to capturing TGL, which means he is caught up - but only as far as me. I haven't researched anything lately as I knew it would only benefit Anarres but have been building some research infrastructure for when it's needed.

War with Anarres is almost inevitable, and slowly my borders are being reinforced. I am trying to agree with Anarres that we shouldn't get the Chinese involved, as they now have a 20-cav SOD traipsing through my territory (with a ROP) to deal with the Koreans.

jack merchant
01-06-2003, 16:27
The Chinese dealt with the Koreans for me, now they're after Japan. We have a new diplo deal posted in the open thread which means I will have to go to war against China on turn 216 - I can only try to make it obscenely expensivre for Anarres to buy them in - paying massive gpt for tech or selling luxuries or something. Possibly also an MA against the Japanese, whom I have not decided what to do with just yet. I will have to deal with them before the deal ends though.

Currently researching magnetism, due next turn (203 iirc) after which I will go whichever tech the Chinese don't have at max speed and trade for steam power, which is crucial if I am to survive this war.

New minimap when I get the next turn.

jack merchant
01-06-2003, 16:27
The Chinese dealt with the Koreans for me, now they're after Japan. We have a new diplo deal posted in the open thread which means I will have to go to war against China on turn 216 - I can only try to make it obscenely expensivre for Anarres to buy them in - paying massive gpt for tech or selling luxuries or something. Possibly also an MA against the Japanese, whom I have not decided what to do with just yet. I will have to deal with them before the deal ends though.

Currently researching magnetism, due next turn (203 iirc) after which I will go whichever tech the Chinese don't have at max speed and trade for steam power, which is crucial if I am to survive this war.

New minimap when I get the next turn.

DrAlimentado
01-06-2003, 22:15
pics please! not just the minimap either ;)

jack merchant
01-06-2003, 23:56
The minimap:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/20036123563_AvJ_lands205.jpg
8.19*KB

More later.

Japan is fighting China and losing, but perhaps we'll get lucky and China will drop out of democracy.

jack merchant
07-06-2003, 01:09
Turn 214: I declare war on the Chinese - one turn too late, due to an utter and complete brainfart. My luck against defending cavs is hideous: 7 cavs lost to defending cavs and 2 more against rifles. We kill 10 cavs, 6 rifles and 5 longbows at the cost of 9 cavs initially and 7 more in the counterattack. Two Chinese cities are razed. I'm thinking Anarres will still ally with the Chinese, but the Chinese should now have their stomachs full earlier.
About 12 slaves are addded to the railroad crew, and I'm up Industry and Electricity on Anarres. I don't knwo what techs he has though, nationalism maybe ?

jack merchant
07-06-2003, 01:18
Scratch that, 2 Chinese cities were razed, on was captured. But I have no idea what anarres intends to do - my frontier cities are heavily fortified, but maybe he has something else in mind ?

Stay tuned...... ;)

jack merchant
07-06-2003, 02:41
turn 215: I have no idea what anarres is up to - no offensive movement was discovered. But it's only to the good, as that gave my overused cavs the opportunity to kill about 15 Chinese cavs on my southern border. What I need now is another turn or 2 to rest and heal them all before Anarres actually strikes.