PDA

View Full Version : Settling right on bonus

Stapel
20-10-2004, 12:20
I can't get my finger behind it. Is there a good thread on it somewhere?

What are the rules?

Plux
20-10-2004, 12:22
my rule of thumb: food bonuses get wasted, production or commercial bonuses don't. But remember the despot penalty that applies.

Socrates
20-10-2004, 13:22
I mainly concur with Plux : commerce and shields are added like on any tile, but for food it's another story : the city tile always has 2 food no matter what, 3 for agr civs with despotism penalty applying (except if by fresh water (can't remember if lake is OK)). So only avoid settling on game, wheat, cattle, but you knew that.

Also remember than once this bonus is added, the actual city production is determined with some rules that can be found somewhere (despotism penalty of course, but also : commerce bonus for size 7+ and 13+ cities (with com civs getting more bonus), shields bonus for size 13+ cities (with ind civs getting more bonus), Republic bonus, Golden Age, at least 1 shield if no shield initially, commerce bonus for capital...). A thread is available somewhere for the exact math.

anarres
20-10-2004, 13:23
IIRC you won't see the bonus production until you hit size 7, but I could be wrong...

Stapel
20-10-2004, 13:37
Settling on a jungle at a river: 3 commerce
Settling on a jungle at a river with gems (4 gold): 5 commerce.

It appears there is a double penalty....

Socrates
20-10-2004, 13:43
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

Settling on a jungle at a river: 3 commerce
Settling on a jungle at a river with gems (4 gold): 5 commerce.

It appears there is a double penalty....

Save please, and I'm now going to give you the CFC thread on this. It will be clear in a couple of minutes.

It could be nice to have a locked topic for typical reference stuff like this. I can do it if no one minds.

Stapel
20-10-2004, 13:45
BTW: When being agri, and having 3 food in the centre tile at the start, I can thus conclude DID settle near river (or lake)?

Darkness
20-10-2004, 14:09
quote:Originally posted by anarres

IIRC you won't see the bonus production until you hit size 7, but I could be wrong...

You are.... ;).... I think....

See COTM05 at CivFanatics. In the pregame discussion thread there was a long discussion on settling on a plains tile with furs on it. Settling on it gave an extra commerce and an extra shield for the city.

@Stapel: If you're still in despotism: yes.
If in another goverment: Can't tell. All agricultural city centers have 3 food in monarchy/republic/democracy, etc....

Plux
20-10-2004, 14:30
Interesting, I didn't know that you got extra shields in 13+ cities..

Socrates
20-10-2004, 15:19
And here it is, gentlemen !! The ultimate reference text for city tile production. [band] Express your disagreement anytime you feel right. Draw your own conclusion from this piece of data for your own strategy.

START HERE

Proceed each line in order !

Food :
• basic value : 2
• if civ = agricultural : +1

Shields :
• basic value : this of terrain
• if city size = city : +1
• if city size = metropolis : +3 if civ = industrious, +2 otherwise
• if no shield so far : +1
• if golden age = on : +1
• if mobilisation = on & city production = military unit : +1

Commerce :
• basic value : this of terrain, river bonus applying
• if city size = village : +1
• if city size = city : +4 if civ = commercial, +2 otherwise
• if city size = metropolis : +6 if civ = commercial, +3 otherwise
• if city = capital : at least 4
• if civ = seafearing & city = coastal : +1
• if government = republic/democracy : +1
• if golden age = on : +1

To all three :
if government = despotism, for shields and commerce, and for food if city not by fresh water : -1 if value > 2

STOP HERE

Stapel
20-10-2004, 15:21
This explains a lot:
• if city = capital : at least 4

Socrates
20-10-2004, 15:35
A quick note to say that the figures displayed if you right-click the city tile aren't necessary the same as what you really get (which is displayed in the city screen). I can think of mobilisation (if I'm not mistaken, it's not implemented) and AI cities (because of traits and such).