PDA

View Full Version : Hello :)

anarres
11-03-2003, 02:36
It turns out that if you need to post at least 1 thread in a forum, so here it is.

This game is without a doubt the most fun game I've ever played on a PC. Playing against humans is infinitely better than playing an AI, and I intend to keep playing the PBEMs for a long time to come (i.e. until Civ4 comes out ;))

col
11-03-2003, 09:10
Its been an awesome game to follow. When I set up the start positions, I envisaged the choke point being a dividing line. Having watched your struggle from early survival through to the domination of the western half, I must say its been one of the best games of civ to follow. Both of you have played brilliantly and the climax of the game is still to come. The win is still in doubt and I wouldnt like to call this one.

ProPain
11-03-2003, 09:29
What a great idea to have a forum, how did you come up with that??:D

Love your game against ERIKK. I'm still in awe seeing how you pulled off that first war! My guess is you'll win this game because usually the player with the smallest territory will draw the shortest straw.

And please make a lot of screenies if/when you guys go to war!

anarres
11-03-2003, 13:35
I have to say that this was not only the most fun game to play, but the most scary as well.

I must have really pissed ERIKK off early on when I got the Japanese to declare war on him. I was hoping that the Japanese were close to him, and since it took all of my money to get them to declare on ERIKK, I hoped that he would not be able to afford to send both my neighbours to attack.

Unfortunatly I was wrong on both counts. :lol:

Regarding the outcome, I expect ERIKK to go for a SpaceRace win now that the Ottomans are dead (or they will be next turn - 252). I have started a new thread for my own strategy discussions.

Melifluous
11-03-2003, 13:44
Hmm hey guys,

What really surprised me was why ERIKK didnt attack you whilst you were in the middle of your war against the Ottomans...

Any ideas anarres?

Melifluous

anarres
11-03-2003, 13:59
We had a peace treaty until 245. On turn 242 we extended it to 265, the only condition was that we didn't attack each other.

Maybe ERIKK should have not agreed to it, but I trusted him not to take advantage once it was agreed. :)

col
11-03-2003, 14:02
I'll bet you wouldnt have trusted Mel or I to keep it. I think Erikk places 'honour' above petty consderations like winning the game....

It seemed to me that there was a window of opportunity there, treaty or not. The only reason for not jumping you would be if Erikk felt that it would damage his space race chances. A UN vote might be interesting too!

anarres
11-03-2003, 14:06
ERIKK would win a UN vote, but the Ottomans are dead next turn, so that is out of the question now. :)

If ERIKK had attacked me his rep would be shot. The next game we played would be very different if he could not be trusted. In the same vein, I have never broken a treaty either, and I don't intend to unless it really was my only chance of winning.

col
11-03-2003, 14:13
Yeah - but now his rep might be one of 'choker'. You can safely turn your back as long as you have an agreement.

In my view, his rep would NOT be shot if he'd attacked you. He would be making a strategic decision. Er - maybe I've had this discussion before in another place .....

Melifluous
11-03-2003, 15:00
And I still agree with you Col ;)

Melifluous

anarres
11-03-2003, 18:21
In my eyes ERIKK's rep would be totally shot. This is why he didn't break the treaty.

You can choose to forget transgressions from previous games, but I will remember if someone stabbed me in the back. Similarly, if I make a treaty with ERIKK I will keep my side of the bargain.

As an aside, if I were fighting anyone else I would have left about 50 or 60 infantry defending the border...

col
11-03-2003, 19:28
Without going back over old ground, I think there is something between "totally shot" and "totally trustworthy". I think risking the whole game on your judgement of Erikk is not something I would do! I think its a weakness of Erikk's play that you have exploited quite well!

I think yourr aside says it all really.

ERIKK
19-03-2003, 12:53
Hmmm..., the thread didn't say spoiler and indeed there aren't really any spoilers in here.

not attacking:
- I wasn't prepared for it. At that time I was building a defensive army instead of an offensive one.
- I expected the Chinese to run over the Ottomans in 2 or 3 turns, like Babylon and Aztecs. I didn't expected them to have so much troubles with it.
- I had a treaty with the Chinese. If a treaty is going to be broken it must be in an honourable way, for instance: if I spot an invasionfleet near my territory I will attack it. It is a threat and my good friend GWB says a premature strike is legitime in this world!

anarres
19-03-2003, 13:37
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

Hmmm..., the thread didn't say spoiler and indeed there aren't really any spoilers in here.Indeed, this thread is fine, it has no spoilers.quote:not attacking:
- I had a treaty with the Chinese. If a treaty is going to be broken it must be in an honourable way, for instance: if I spot an invasionfleet near my territory I will attack it. It is a threat and my good friend GWB says a premature strike is legitime in this world!Yes, and others have described what happened as weakness on your part. I totally disagree with them, as I would not break a peace treaty with you either. If the situation was reversed I would have expected you to have left the border empty, and I would not have attacked you.

Maybe where we differ is that I would not have extended the peace treaty if I thought I may be able to attack you and destroy some core cities while you were attacking the Ottomans. However, this would have to depend on many other factors, and since I can not see your side of the game I can't say what I would have done.

Note: Any attack on any Chinese vessel not inside your borders is an act of war! You will be known as 'ERIKK the deal breaker'! Any movements outside your territory are military training excercises. ;)

ERIKK
19-03-2003, 13:50
quote:Originally posted by anarres
Note: Any attack on any Chinese vessel not inside your borders is an act of war! You will be known as 'ERIKK the deal breaker'! Any movements outside your territory are military training excercises. ;)

Hmmm... take it as a warning: no Chinese training sessions along my borders. Otherwise your fleet will have some cruise missile problems... [:o)]